Medical examiner: teen was shot to death

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Thu, 12/06/2007 - 8:08am
Updated: Mon, 06/24/2013 - 2:29pm

COLUMBUS COUNTY — We have more information about how a 14-year-old boy, reported missing more than two weeks ago, was killed.

Rashed Delamez Jones was found late Thursday in some Columbus County woods. The medical examiner says Jones died of multiple gun shot wounds.

Around 3 p.m. Wednesday the body of Jones was found in a remote intersection in Hillsboro. A hunter made the discovery while in the woods off of Barney Taylor Road. Investigators say the body was badly decomposed and covered with pieces of wood, as if someone was trying to hide it.

Jones's bike was found in a ditch on Thanksgiving Day, less than half a mile away from his grandmother's house. Detectives are still working on a motive, but there's been talk on the street that Jones knew something about or possibly witnessed a September murder in Lake Waccamaw.

"We have no direct connection between this and the Lake Waccamaw shooting that we are aware of at this time," Columbus County Sheriff Chris Batten said. "There have been rumors out there, but we try to dispel rumors and try to work with the facts as investigators have to do to bring criminal charges against anybody."

Lake Waccamaw Police arrested Connail Reeves in connection with the drive-by killing of Darnell Frink in late September. Frink was killed when four people wearing masks drove up in a silver Ford Taurus and opened fire. Investigators say forensic evidence found at the scene lead to Reeves's arrest. Police are still searching for more suspects.

What links Delamez Jones, the boy found dead Thursday, to this crime is the fact that his cousin, 19-year-old Santonio Jenerette, was with Reeves at the time of his arrest.

With little confirmed, there are still many questions about how the missing boy turned up dead.

"Every missing person case is a lesson for the people who work it," Monica Caison with the CUE Center for Missing Persons said. "Whether it be how to find someone or how to treat the next case. Just because they fall in a certain age range or might have a personal background that is familiar to that age range of a troubled kid. It doesn't always mean the children run away."

Sheriff Batten says the investigation in to Jones's death is separate from the Lake Waccamaw shooting. Investigators are hoping to know more when Jones's autopsy is finished.

• kaweekee says:

There is no excuse for a child to be killed for any reason. Reading this article breaks my heart. My prayers and thoughts are with the family. I am in McDowell County, my sister is missing. A 14 year old boy was shot this week in Asheville, the police are looking for the killer and a motive. In the spirit of Christmas, Jesus loves us all, we don’t understand why these horrible things happen. My peace come to all families and friends of these boys. God Bless All!!!!

• Franchesca says:

i miss and love you and will cherish you foreva!!!!!!!!!

• Mad says:

I think that the young men in Lake Waccamaw, Hallsboro, Chadbourn and surrounding areas should sit back and try to learn from others experiences and mistakes. They need to find other things to do besides sit around and comtemplate crimes and cause so much pain for people’s families. Life is much bigger than what they make it. In the end they ALL have to answer to the same God and stop playing God.

• FRIEND says:

WHITEVILLE IS THE MOST RACIST TOWN I’VE EVER LIVED IN. DO PEOPLE REALIZE THAT IT TOOK 6DAYS BEFORE IT WAS PUT ON THE NEWS!! BUT LET THAT HAD BEEN A WHITE PERSON THAT WAS DRUNK AND TOO DOPED UP TO FIND THERE WAY HOME THEY WOULD HAVE MADE HEADLINES. NO HIS MOTHER SHOULDN’T LET HIM RIDE HIS BIKE DOWN THE ROAD. BUT THAT CHILD WAS A WITNESS FOR THE SHERIFF. THEIR DUTY IS TO PROTECT AND SERVE. NOT JUST TO LET THE KID GIVE THEM A PIECE OF THE PUZZLE AND FALL SHORT BECAUSE OF THEIR “NEGLECT”!!!!!

• Extremely Upset! says:

I want you to know that I am extremely upset
    about the death of your child. This is so sad
    and my heart and prayers go out to you.

I hope that the killer(s) are found and get
    what they deserve.

Continue to pray to God for strength, stay close to God, for he is the one that will
    keep you strong.

A concerned mother/grandmother/citizen

• GuestWilm says:

“I hope that the columbus county sheriffs department will get off of their can and address this matter.” What is wrong with the world today?? Somebody is always pointing the finger, most of the time it is at the police. They have no leads!!. I am sure IF they find one they will sure tell the media so people like yourself may may sleep better.

IF YOU WERE A WITNESS YOU WOULD WANT POLICE PROTECTION OR WITNESS PROTECTION ITS NOT THE POINT OF HAVE THE POLICE WATCHING OVER YOU 24/7 THIS WAS A CHILD HIS MOTHER MUST HAVE TAUGHT HIM TO BE HONEST AND THATS WHAT HE WAS DOING THE POLICE KNEW THAT SOMTHING LIKE THIS COULD OR WOULD HAPPEN SO THEY COULD HAVE MOVED HIM AND HIS MOTHER AWAY THE POLICE CALL IN THE US MARSHALS TO HELP FIND PROBATION VIOLATERS WHY NOT USE THAT MONEY FOR WITNESS PROTECTION AND MAYBE WE AS A COMMUNITY COULD PULL TOGETHER AND START HELP THE POLICE SOLVE CRIMES AND THEN THERE WOULD BE LESS MURDERS ALL OVER NC

• Guest mom says:

God bless the children. What is this world coming to, children raped, murdered, sexually assaulted. Time to change the laws. THIS BETTER BE A DEATH PENATY OFFENSE. NO PLEA BARGAINS, DEAL, SLIGHT OF HAND..DEATH AND NOT 12 YEARS FROM NOW.

• Very Angry says:

I think it is really sad that this young man’s life was cut short because of someone else’s ignorance and motives. The young men in Columbus County need to learn and make something of themselves and learn to make better decisions about life. There’s much more to life than running around with gangs, hanging out all night and living from one day to the next with no motivation. It is time for them to grow and get it together and stop playing with people’s lives. Now this young man’s family will have to get through Christmas without him-so sad. Grow up Hallsboro, Chadbourn and Whiteville!

• whiteville says:

You do not live in columbus county so therefore it is not fair for you to pass judgement. We have the sorriest sheriffs department ever. I know first hand, we had a very bad situation that happened to my family and I personally called the acting detective several times and he never would even return my call. This happened in June and it is now December. That is way to long with no communication. Remember I was the victim!!!! And for that matter our sheriff never responded either. I personally know if this had happened to batten’s family something would have been done. So therefore, as a tax paying citizen of columbus county I have the right to say “they need to get off of their CAN”!!!!! Also remember, this is the same system that let hard core drug dealers back on the street and kept child support dads in jail. Now that was smart, let the dads go so maybe they will get a JOB!!! Instead the drug dealers are back on the street, selling to little children. What a shame.

• Joveta says:

I would like to say to the FAMILY I know you lost a “one in a million” child and I just want to let you know Delamez will truly be missed for that!!! I would like to give an extra shoutout to Delamez’s Mom,Brother, Uncle,and my best friend Felicia Jones, I know things are hard right now girl, but you will get through it because I will truly do my best to help in any kind of way!! I also want you to know that Mez is in a safer place now and just remember we will all be together again one day laughing about our Summer times we’ve once shared!!So in closing I wanna say I LOVE YOU “MEZ” and i’ll see you one day in Heaven!!!!! *R.I.P. Delamez*

• Rebecca says:

I am so sorry 4 what happened. I would like 2 send my love 2 Delamez and his family. R.I.P We love u!

He was not a witness for the sheriff….pay attention, the case he was a witness in was in the jurisdiction of Lake Waccamaw PD. “White”ville doesn’t even play into this case.

I did not know Rashed personally but being a columbus county native I have the deepest sympthaty for your family!GOD BLESS!!!

• Santana & Andrea says:

Im sorry for your lost and hope you bring your son’s killer to justice…..Much Love to the Family

What Police Protection program are you referring to? There’s nothing like that in this state that I am aware of other than the Federal Witness Protection Program that is handled by the U.S. Marshals Service.
    If my child had witnessed a homicide or similiar crime that put him at risk, I would take the responsibility of protecting him. I’m not going to expect or depend on someone else to do what a father can do.
    I know that it would be almost impossible for the Sheriff to post someone to be with him 24/7. It just doesn’t happen that way except on TV.
    It’s terrible that it happened to this young man regardless of what the circumstances are that led to his death. My heart goes out to his parents and family.

• CHANTE MCKINDLEY says:

IM SORRY ABOUT DELAMEZ AND THE SITUATION I KNOW HIM VERY WELL HE WAS A GOOD QUIET KID AND HE WILL BE IN MY THOUGHTS 4 LIFE WE MISS U DELAMEZ AND WE HOPE U WATCH OVER YOUR MOM AND FAMILY CAUSE WE KNOW YOU ARE IN A BETTER PLACE WE LOVE YOU DELAMEZ AND WHO EVER DID THIS THEY WILL BE CAUGHT AND MY HEART GO OUT TO THE FAMILY IM SORRY ABOUT THE LOST

• consuelo childress says:

it’s so sad how they did that young boy he had his whole life ahead of him i am upset that the police did not take this child missing a big deal this was a young boy my heart goes out to the family may god be with u.

• susie says:

how horrendously tragic this is!!!! we all need to realize this world is soon coming to an end, everyone should be seeking god. to the family, i pray god gives you the strength to endure this senseless loss. but take comfort in knowing god knows all and sees all. guilty parties will be brought to justice. i am praying for you!!!!

• resident of columbus county says:

We all have heard that Rashed could be a witness to the Lake Waccamaw shooting. With that beeing said, WHY????? was this innocent child not in a police protection program. If this child would have been our sheriffs child it would have been better protected. Our law enforcement should feel really bad. Maybe there Christmas will be as good as Rashed’s families Christmas!!! May the killer be cought and be brought to justice.

• Jeanne Rhein says:

I an so sorry for your loss.While I did not know your son personally, your loss is so heartfelt. I hope you are able to gather some comfort and hope from your friends and loved ones. May God keep and comfort you and your family.
    Jeanne Rhein
    Leland,N.C.

• HORRIFIED at ignorance says:

I have a better idea. Why don’t YOU be a cop for ONE day? Do you really think that you could do a better job? Oh, no, wait. You can’t work. You’ll get your check garnished for that child support you are avoiding.

• Genevieve Inman says:

I just want you to know how sorry I am. I hope and pray they will find who did this to your son.I am praying that you and your family and friends will have a peace and contentment very soon, I will always keep you in my prayers.
    Genevieve Inman

• Genevieve Inman says:

PLEASE DON’T START THIS MESS! THIS IS ABOUT A YOUNG BOY THAT WAS MURDER, I AM A WHITE WOMAN THAT CARED ABOUT THIS MATTER, I JUST WISH YA’LL WOULD STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS ABOUT THIS YOUNG BOY, NOT ABOUT YOU! THAT IS ALL YALL THINK ABOUT, I COULD GO ON AND ON ABOUT WHAT I HAVE BEEN THROUGH BUT I WILL NOT BECAUSE I AM NOT THAT WAY, SO GET A GRIP ON LIFE! LET THE FAMILY HAVE SOME KIND OF PEACE AND STOP FIGHTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are wrong to blame the sheriff’s office for drug dealers being released on the street. That is done courtesy of your District Attorney’s office. The sheriff’s office makes the arrest and builds the case. The D.A.’s office makes the decision whether or not to take the case to court. So if you are a “taxpaying” citizen, be responsible and have accurate knowledge of the system, and vote for the candidate for District Attorney that you feel will do a better job keeping the dealers off the street!!! And tell all the dead beat dads that you personally know to get off THEIR can and pay their child support so they aren’t taking up space in our jail!

• godsgrace says:

I extend my deepest sympathy for your loss. I pray for your family. Most parents do allow their children of 14 yrs of age to ride their bike alone, I do. Its not the families faught, its these crazed pyscho’s with guns that kill. I am upset that this case wasnt all over the news. Whoever wrote that if this was a white child it would have been covered heavily by the news, was right. I am a white mother, and I see discrimination by the media all the time. Its all very sad. All we can do is pray.

• Charlotte, NC says:

I would like to extend my deepest sympathy to the family. I will continue to pray for you. What is happening to our nation? 2 Chronicles 7:14 states:If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. We truly need to come together and pray for the nation. God Bless the family of Rashed Delamez Jones.

• Whiteville says:

Well I heard the news today, and just got sick on my stomach. I feel so bad for this family. I hope that the columbus county sheriffs department will get off of their can and address this matter. My prayers and support go out to the family. To the family, remember Jesus Christ will be the only way to make it through this. SEEK HIM!!!

• Karen Stratton says:

It is a great sadness to lose a child, my prayer as go to Rashed’s family and friends.

I hope who had done such a crime will be found soon.

Karen

How can you feel sorry for the parents and then lay the blame at their doorstep. Who you really need to blame is the state,had they stayed out the business of telling people how to raise their children much of the crime by children would not happen!!! To Jones family, my deepest sympathy!!!!!!

• mamaval says:

Ican only imagine this mothers’ and grandmothers’ heartache. I feel for them as well as the parents of the boys that commited this horrific act of violence.What did they have to gain by taking this young ones life ? They will be tried and judged for their actions I’m sure, but these families that have to endure this pain so close to the holidays,it’s just too much. To the mother,grandmother and the parents of those responsible my heart goes out to you all. Someone knows something out there and trust me when I say they always brag sooner or later. I work in a store in an area of high crime and hear the conversations of these sort of young men everyday. They only think they got away ….

• Ciara.k.A.K.A.POOH U KNOW says:

LUV IN I WIL STIL BE IN YOUR HEART AKA DIARY QUEEN AKA SQUEAKY F BABY.

• Anonymous says:

First of all let me correct you, he was not in a gang, he caught a ride home thinking he would get home safe with people he knew….so please don’t critize what you don’t know….If the authorities told the whole truth and nothing but, the whole world would know that he die at their hands because they did not do their job in protecting and serving the community…..HIM to be exact…So please don’t comment without FACTS thank you

You know I agree with you; there are so many KIDS running around here doing things they shouldn’t be doing.
    If they are hanging out with pot heads, well guess what, they are most likly a pot head them selves.
    My point is that parents don’t always know what there children are into and if parents where a little more “open eyed” and quit thinking there child is a saint, then this SH*T could be stoped at a early age and not escalade to the point where the teen age pot head becomes a adult who murders a child.
    What this kid saw or didn’t see; or what the police did or didn’t do isn’t the matter; the matter is if that a family is with out there child and if the murder’s parents had of been better parents this probaly wouldn’t have happened. And this family would not have to be with out there child so soon in his life!
    And those who want to put the blame on color, GROW UP!! It aint a white thing, black thing untill you make it one! This kid didn’t die because of his color! He was in the wrong place with the wrong people at the wrong time! And making this a color issue isn’t gonna do anything but make us divided in a time when we need to be there for each other.

The JONES family, I don’t think any thing can be said to make this a better situation; but I can asure you if you keep GOD in you rheart and mind this process will be alittle smoother. Nothing can replace a child, but over time the pain will be easier to deal with.
    Much Love!!!

• Adriana says:

I reach out to Rashed Jones family. I’am so sorry for what happen to you at a time when it’s suppose to be a time of cheer and joy. I pray that God doesn’t have mercy on your childs murder and that he/she rots in jail for their entire life. From the Prince family, much love

• unknown says:

i am so sorry for your loss. my prays are with the family.i don’t understand how a 14 year old gets involve in a gang.where are the parnets to the child.i feel parnets need to get more involve in there children activity and less on non important issue…

• Scally Wagg says:

They should find who is responsible and put them under the jail’ anyone with nads big enough to kill someone then to kill a witness is a true menace to society.