16 Comments for this article

Tags: , ,

RALEIGH (AP) — State Rep. Thomas Wright has turned himself in to authorities.

Wright appeared before a Wake County magistrate judge Friday following his indictment earlier this week on five felony charges. He was released on $50,000 unsecured bond.

Wright is charged with fraudulently obtaining a $160,000 loan for a foundation he led in Wilmington, and for converting $194,000 in foundation and campaign funds to his personal use.

Wright is an eight-term lawmaker and former political ally of former state House Speaker Jim Black. Black is serving a five-year prison sentence for political corruption.

A legislative ethics panel investigating Wright is scheduled to hold a public hearing in February to determine whether Wright misused his political office.

Wright looked at a cluster of clicking cameras and reporters and said, “You’d have thought I’d murdered somebody.”

Comment on this Story

16 Comments on "Rep. Wright turns himself in following criminal indictment"

rowp
2015 years 9 months ago

we’re not talking lean cuisine here….as in a yeast roll. when you are referring to this thug you have to spell words that he and everyone else with his mentality can comprehend. when “roll model” was introduced it was spelled exactly like i wanted it spelled. as in a rolled up blunt. you need to get on the same page of music as these criminals are playing off of!

Scally Wagg

actually it’s role model

Guest434er
2015 years 9 months ago

Um, actually it’s ROLE model. Not roll, as in what you eat.

rowp
2015 years 9 months ago

boy are you setting a good example for your peers. living off of the tax payers dollar is one thing but doing it out of prison is another. mr. wright is one heck of a roll model. probably encouraged the kids in the community to go see lil wayne too! his political ways make about as much sense at that thugs lyrics. happy holidays and maybe next year you won’t be home for christmas, but i do hope you have a nice trip to raleigh!

guesty

C ya later chuckles!

2015 years 9 months ago

This is the path he chose and I’ll be happy to read along as this thing goes down. He said he wasn’t going down alone, well he has been talking to the FBI. This isn’t going to be pretty. We need an America’s most wanted show about politicians.

skippy
2015 years 9 months ago

i’ll do whatever…just let me hold my paycheck, thank you…suckers

Guest26279146
2015 years 9 months ago

They probably won’t do anything to him and you know why.

GuestRN
2015 years 9 months ago

Same smug wisenheimer who taught my EMT class at CFCC many years ago. I felt back then that he was seriously lacking in the honesty department. Glad to see another unscrupulous politician out of commission and paying the piper.

Das Weibstück
2015 years 9 months ago

Nice smiles in that photo. YOU WOULD THINK HE WOULD BE A LITTLE ashamed and perhaps act like he cares about what he did.

“Wright is an eight-term lawmaker” make that law breaker.

Guest7969
2015 years 9 months ago

I HOPE the judge throws him under the bus…every time I see this idiot he looks like this whole thing is a JOKE!

Guestv.262
2015 years 9 months ago

“Wright looked at a cluster of clicking cameras and reporters and said, ‘You’d have thought I’d murdered somebody.'”
No, you arrogant doofus, you only (allegedly) screwed a whole bunch of people who had faith in you and brought more shame on what should be an honorable position. I hope you get FORMER sen. Black for a roommate. Thanks for nothing. You are a discredit to democracy and your race. Nice job, role model.

No More
2015 years 9 months ago

Talk about someone who should have never ventured into poliyics and should have just kept on teaching EMT classes at Cape Fear Community College….
It’s sad… Many years ago this man was my teacher and mentor… He was compassionate and caring and held a special bond with all of his students. He was a phenominal instructor.. To see him become corrupt over the years and waste MY tax dollars for his own personal benefit disturbs me more than others.. When you have a trust for someone and that trust is betrayed, it rocks your core a little harder. Throw him in sing sing !

AnotherGuest2007
2015 years 9 months ago

‘When you kill someone, you just end a life. When you steal peoples trust, friendship, money, belief in government the damages are devastating.’ Seriously? You should never submit a comment again. I have never read anything so ignorant in my life.

Guest123

Dear Mr. Wright,

I am stunned at your remark “You’d have thought I’d murdered somebody”. Through your entire “mess” I have taken a wait and see attitude, however now I know I was wrong.

Becuase I feel that you are not smart enough to figure this out on your own, let me clue you in. When you kill someone, you just end a life. When you steal peoples trust, friendship, money, belief in government the damages are devastating.

You sir sicken me with your attitude that stealing is “no big deal”. Well here is what I wish for you. I hope that you get 20 years with a cell mate named bubba that thinks your cute. I hope that he steals your beliefs and your trust.

May God have mercy on you, you will need it.

No wonder Law Enforcment, the DA’s, the Judicial system is such a mess…like with plumbing…crap flows up hill.

Good Bye Mr. Wright…

Upset
2015 years 9 months ago

Its sad That we are faced with people that are elected and then misuse their office. The people that are elected have a chance to do so much good, but instead only seem to be out for themselves or the group that controls them. Lets take look at Pender County. Some of the elected officals are controled by a group of people that want to control the county. This group is made up of Builders, Attys, and people seeking moniterary gain and power. Corruption and special favors are a way of life. The commissioners are fighting each other and making fools of their county, their position and it’s people. Heaven help them if someone decided to investagate them.