Process underway to replace Hewett

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Thu, 04/17/2008 - 11:47pm
Updated: Tue, 01/14/2014 - 10:30pm By:
more on the hewett story here...

Brunswick County is less than a month away from having a new sheriff. State law says that the party of the former sheriff will decide the next sheriff. Because Ron Hewett is a Democrat, the Brunswick County Democratic Party will be choosing the new sheriff. But not without asking for the public's input. Days after Ron Hewett resigned amid corruption allegations, the process for choosing his replacement is already underway. "What's most important now is filling the leadership void right now that was created by Sheriff Hewett resigning," says Robert Epstein, Vice Chair of the Brunswick County Democratic Party. "The county deserves a more regular presence and we are committed to being good stewards of the process." Epstein is part of the committee that will vote on Hewett's replacement. Right now, committee members are compiling a list of candidates. They will then hold a public meeting to hear from the candidates and county residents. After a series of votes, committee members will then submit their choice to county commissioners. "We are very committed to having a very open, transparent and a well-run process," says Epstein. The process is essentially open to anyone. To be a county sheriff in North Carolina, you must be 21 years old, literate, have lived in the county for one year, and lived in the voting precinct for 30 days. No prior law enforcement experience or party affiliation is required. Ron Hewett resigned earlier this week, after serving as sheriff since 1994. In March, he was suspended after 22 current and former members of the department came forward with allegations of misconduct and extortion. A federal grand jury has since indicted hewett, but has yet to put forth its findings. For now, Coroner Greg White remains the county's acting sheriff.

• Southern Born says:

If we read your post we have all seen some words that say nothing… some of your post are very safe. you take the sure side and hide behind the obviouse, try taking a risk I would respect you more, but just going along for safe sake is boring… come on you can do better than that..I can take it..

Dear Gene,
    I truly do appreciate anyone who provides information about the goings on in Brunswick county Law Enforcement. We as citizens of this community need to pay attention, not just for ourselves, but for the decent, hardworking, good officers who have to deal with the mess that we were so unaware of.

In the case of Baltree, I am shocked that the town had prior knowledge and did nothing. What are they thinking. I remember several years ago a few of those officers were fired over an incident with a minor girl they met on the internet. That issue went away very quickly. I have to wonder if those officers maintained their BLET certification.

In the case of Hewett, I’m glad that he resigned. He did the right thing for his community by stepping back and allowing for a replacement to come aboard. Now, my concern is this. Who will be that replacement? Are we getting another carbon copy of Hewett? I sure hope not. I do know this about Hewett, he did not start out bad, he ended up badly. I think there are several changes that need to be made to assure that we do not start down the same path.

I believe a citizens advisory board would be appropiate. Some where for LEO’s and citizens to take a complaint that would allow for an outside look at the situation.

Brunswick county is a great place to live, let’s work at keeping it that way by putting into place some checks and balances.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post that information, it opened my eyes to the situation and it’s important that everything get into the light while we have the backing of the state and federal government to clean up the problems.

Southern Born,
    Thanks for the laugh. Just for future reference it’s Contingency14.

Oh, one more thing. Maybe I was wrong about Hewett. If you are truly working for him, he did not have a chance.

Gene,
    Thanks for the eye opener, I had no idea.

• WilmMan says:

If you are refering to Contingency14 about being a police officer, you are way off base. If this is the person I think it is, I have had many discussions with her on another board I can say almost 99% that she is not a police officer

• mommab says:

I have only lived in this area for a short time but in that time I have heard enough rumors about mr hewett to fill a book. i had an officer tell me herself that the area in bolivia known as “the hill” is an area they don’t even go in to. now since it is well known as a crack area and they know there are all kinds of illegal activity going on there why wouldn’t they go in there and bust the place up? if they were really concerned about the rampant drug problem in this county, that would be one of the first places to start then they could move on to Lord St. in southport as well as getting the immigration people to investigate the little trailer park in the city limits of southport. I know for a fact there are many illegals living there paying an insane amount of “rent” for one half of a run down trailer, the drugs and alcohol abuse in that place are well known to many. Then they can spend some time with several of the landscapers in BC, take a trip out to St. James,Bald Head and multiple other developments around here and check out the construction workers. Not too many white guys around anymore.It seems to me that the law is willing to turn a blind eye to certain activities while running roughshod over others. That can only mean there are payoffs or relatives involved. It all seems very fishy to me and in light of the comment of no one running against the good ole boy all you have to do is take a look at the board at Dosher Hospital and you will see what happens when a good ole boy gets in office, nothing and no once can stand against them. It is a club and they don’t welcome any interference and successfully block any publicity about questionable activity. Just ask the editor of the state port pilot who calls the shots in southport…it is not the people of the town that is for sure!

• It appears that Mr. Ward and Mr. Epstein are running their own show in regard to the appointment of a new Sheriff. They are busy holding secret meetings and excluding other members of the Executive Committee and certainly not giving ANY consideration to the northern part of Brunswick County. It seems to me that in fairness to everyone, there should be a list of the applicants given to all committee members. If Mr. Ward and Mr. Epstein can’t play within the rules of the Democratic party, perhaps they should remove themselves from this position of authority. Many of us in the Southport/Oak Island areas feel extremely left out in this process.

• Gene says:

Short, sweat, and to the point! Nothing like just telling it like it is.

It is a rare and wonderful thing to have so few words say so much!

• 1 says:

The trailer park is not in the city limits of Southport.

• Gene says:

The officer that was arrested was Luke Stidman. I may have misspelled that name. He (Luke) retained one of Rex Gores’s old law partners, I believe Ramos (sp?) is the name. My understanding is this case has been ready to go to trial for over a year. To be fair with the “Horribles” at BSL, this would be more on the shoulders of the prosecutor, Gore than anyone else. Most especially not then Chief White who went to the Jail to fire that officer while he was locked up! This petiphile has no support from former Chief White nor any of the officers serving this town. I also believe strongly he has no support from anyone in town management today. So, for fairness, there it is, they are not part of that very dirty mess!

However, back to Ballree. When the State Port Pilot reported Ballree was hired it also wrote about Ballree being accused in Mt. Olive. It went on to pretty much say, David Lewis accepted Ballree’s explanation! If you, I, or anyone else checks the reports from the news in Mt. Olive, his explanation, without accusers, simply is nothing! That was just one thing. The other, as reported in the Pilot, given to them by Lewis was a second concern. This was the concern of Ballree’s 22 year old son that was expected to live here with Ballree by Lewis. Quoting the paper, “court records indicate charges included assault on a government official and several misdemeanor larcenies, as well as larceny of a firearm from the Mt. Olive Police Department.” David Lewis knew all of this and in fact he most likely knew it was four pistols and not one!

I have not doubt whatsoever that Richard White’s investigation turned up at least what you and I can find on the web, all day, every day. My God, according to the same paper from Lewis’s moth there were two dozen applicants and four interviews. My God, what had the other 23 done worse than what was reported? Did every dirty cop in NC apply for this job and Ballree just happen to be the least rotten out of the barrel?

I am so sorry I can not give you the date of that paper because stupid me did not scan that part but I will get it for you, one way or the other.

Check it out and you will find, Ballree resigned the day he knew of the investigation and thereby faced no criminal charges. His son is a convicted felon! David Lewis had full knowledge of these facts. Joan Kinney who was Mayor at the time should have know all this and if she did not, shame on her for not taking the time to find out what “her” town manger knew.

Again, I have to assert, any reasonable person after reading the reports from the Mt. Olive area news and after reading what even Lewis gave to the local paper has to ask, Why? What is in it for them (Lewis and Kinney)? More, why does our current Mayor not step in and demand something be done? It is like a dirty little family secret and if it is not mentioned it will not be a problem. I AM NOT GOING TO STOP MENTIONING IT!

More, since becoming Chief here Ballree has been seen all over the county in the BSL car. At Wall Mart, at the cleaners, with family in the car, etc, etc. And the town government does nothing, NOTHING! Again, WHY?

The bottom line is, if you support a crook, you are a crook! there is only two reasons I can think of for keeping a dirty cop around. You are either on his payroll or he is on yours! Have you noticed, with all this blog, David Lewis, Emmett Ballree, the Mayor and town council have not denied one single word? They won’t. It is their “dirty little secret!”

• gene says:

Thinking further on your remarks, any township large or small has at least a board of commissioners. And while it is common in larger cities and towns, every town, no matter how small needs to at least appoint one of the town commissioners as a police commissioner.

I admit, am very pro cop, but at the same time I am a strong civil libertarian. There needs to be someone that the citizens can go to with there complaints about the police department. Also, that person needs to be one that realizes the duties these cops have to perform. In short, a person that would back a good cop to the hilt and at the same time would seek prosecution, if need be for a cop that has broken the constitution and infringed upon the liberty of an American Citizen. This kind of sounds like an oxymoron but it is not. There are rules. The rules are, the Constitution of the United States. When a cop plays by the rules, his charges stick in court. When he does not, they get thrown out.

There is no person more honorable than a good LEO. There is no person more despicable than a dirty LEO.

A Police Commissioner is a very good start. Maybe not the complete answer, but a very good start.

• Sourthern Born says:

LOok Out:

Where is all the Ronald Haters, I notice a a small silence as if the world suddenly stood still, A friend of mine said the deputies looked really depressed, I believe you can find the reason tucked away in the NEED TO KNOW SECTION of the star news last friday,

” Grand Jury Returned No Indictments for Ronald Hewett” Round one Sexy REX you win Round 2 You Loose but the announcer forgot to put this on this big old TV station so that all the Ronald Haters would Not Have Egg on thier Face for this round….

Wooried.. I would be governer has ordered task force to look into the relationship between Ronald Hewetts Campaign finances and Rexs relationship to the illegal checks, Round Three Should be interesting hope they have more than what we have seen. on Ronald or we might just have to give MR. Hewett the whole county

God Speed Replace him soon before we have all the facts…… Dont wait until we can do background checks on some of his co- conspirators, this is not biblical it is embarrassing…. Come on give us all the news…yeah he resigned because rex played dirty by having him susupeneded with the same information he used to convict him, meaning ronald would have to present his entire defense before the criminal trial ever started

So Rex stacked the deck but he must be gettimng nervouse, because round three will be the hewett defense and a strategically resignation, he was elected which means if he is forced to resign because REX stacked the deck then could he >>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<..

Dear Southern Born,

Please get your facts straight before getting on here to post. Here is the orginal article regarding last weeks jury meeting and it does not by any means suggest that the jury has stopped deliberating on Hewett, it simply means that by the end of business that day that they had not issued indictments…but hang on honey they meet every week.

NO EGG HERE!!!!

Published: Friday, April 18, 2008 at 7:16 a.m.
    Last Modified: Friday, April 18, 2008 at 7:57 a.m.

RALEIGH

Grand jury takes

no action on Hewett

A federal grand jury in Raleigh considering the Ronald Hewett case issued no indictments in the case Thursday.

A deputy clerk at the federal courthouse in Raleigh said just after 1 p.m. Thursday that the federal grand jury had finished for the day and had returned indictments in some cases, but Hewett’s name was not among them. The grand jury usually meets Wednesday and Thursday the third week of each month.

It was the grand jury’s first meeting since Hewett, the former Brunswick County sheriff, was indicted March 31 on state charges of embezzlement by a public official and obstructing justice. They were based on a petition that included affidavits from more than 20 former and current employees who said Hewett was intoxicated on the job, harassed women and required deputies to work on property and campaign for him while on duty.

The federal investigation came to light when subpoenas were issued in June. Representatives in the U.S. Attorney’s Office have said they cannot comment on federal grand jury proceedings.

Hewett was suspended March 27 and resigned Tuesday. The Brunswick County Democratic Party’s executive committee will meet May 10 to choose his replacement.

– Shannan Bowen

• Southern Born says:

must say this entire blog confuses me, I will just let it ride, If you did write this you need help!!!

• Southern Born says:

Thanks for you comments would like you to read below.. my recipe was delivered because she insulted me fisrt by calling me and Angry Little Troll… and then proceeded to insult me after I apologised by requesting the recipe so “that everyone could be as dumb as me” read all the post first and yes I may have had my doubts about the ex sheriffs guilt but convinced that all should be brought to justice who broke the law, including some of the deputies…. but when he resigned he proved that not only was he guilty but that they were too… Your name is justice so i hope you are one of the good guys…if you are one of them perhaps you can reverse my opinion with some insight.. I will be the first to say I am not always right…

Southern born,

I was wondering if you could do me a favor. You said that you are what you eat; I realized with that statement that you must be wonderful at preparing dumb. I am sure by now that you have found many great ways to prepare it, fried, boiled, baked or just right out of the can. Since I can see by your writings that you are an expert on it, could you post some of your recipes on the net. I am going to keep corresponding with you I will need to dumb down, as will the rest of us.

Oh, thanks for the spelling tip.

I hope you will continue to write, it’s like a comedy hour on the net. I shall be smiling all day at the thought of your writings

• gene says:

BSL Police Chief Emmett Ballree is well qualified for Hewett’s vacancy as BC Sheriff.

Ballree cut and ran when accused of stealing Mt. Olive paid for gas for personal use in his family vehicle, rather than cooperate with a full investigation. Immediately after becoming Chief at BSL he began using his patrol car for personal use including having his family in that car with him. He would be a perfect fit for the space Ron Hewett made vacant.

Then, the good deputies at the Sherrifs department could cause these things to come to light rather than stick their head in the sand like every single one of the BSL Town Officials, and finally Ballree would have to fully explain himself (as he never has) or like Hewett, resign. Full disclosure would be a very good thing.

• ash girl says:

Reinstate Ronald ….get rid of Smith,Caison,Holden ,West, Piggot and all of the good ole boys!And let’s not forget the “honorable” Rex Gore…..I hope this makes all of you Mad………..

• Guest 5641 says:

Well, I wonder how straightforward Mr. Ward and Mr. Epstein will be when the appointment time comes. Seems they have been holding meetings without benefit of all the members of the committee as soon as Ronald retired. Time for a change in a lot of people. I bet if you took a poll about how many folks want someone appointed from “inside” the department, it would be an overwhelming NO ONE FROM THE INSIDE.

• Zippy Doo says:

WOW!!!! NIce grammar…I’m glad to see what side you’re on.

TODD DOUGLAS FOR SHERRIF

• MiniMe says:

MommaB
    Woah girl – be careful when you speak about things you don’t know. You’re clearly misinformed and showing your ignorance when you speak of Dosher and the board. You haven’t been in Southport to know any history or to know who’s who. There were plenty of changes on the board at the last election, and the community absolutely has a say in its hospital.

• GOOD GRIEF says:

I REALLY DON’T THINK THIS COUNTY CAN HANDLE ANYMORE BAD NEWS….LOOSING RONALD WAS HARD ENOUGH IF YOU ASK ME. EVERYONE KNEW HIM AND HE IS A GOOD PERSON I AM SURE BUT WHAT IN THE WORLD????? THE DRUGS ARE STILL BAD AND I AM LIKE SOMEONE ELSE SAID…IF WE KNOW WHERE THE DRUG INFESTIONS YOU KNOW THE POLICE KNOW. WHY WERE THEY NOT TAKEN OFF THE STREETS? I DON’T KNOW-I AM JUST IN SHOCK AND THINKING I AND SEVERAL OTHERS ARE GOING TO BE IN MORE SHOCK SHORTLY. ASHAME THAT THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING.

Living in The Lakes I am very happy with “THE OFFICERS” I have come in contact with. My opinion is that they are the best and. I have never been on the WRONG end of these officers, but I have had a few personal experiences when I needed their help and I know they care for us out here.
    I found out about Chief Ballree last week and I am willing to bet, personal use of a town vehicle is not the only thing, it’s just the ONE thing he has done so far. Gotta get more comfortable in the job you know and must get CLOSER to our HORRIBLE comissioners.
    I only hope he does not change our great officers and detectives. Maybe they won’t be scared to cross him when the time comes, I hope so anyway.

• raindrop says:

Ronald and Rex–what a pair of “public servants”, they both deserve to be drawn and quartered.
    Has anyone read the book “Out With Three”– The Murder and Betrayal of Bald Head Island Police Officer Davina Buff Jones?? What about the 10 years Jonnie Beck did for defending himself? Seems to me that justice is only for the kinfolk and other “Good ole Boys” in Brunswick County District.
    May all the honest “good ole boys” get what they deserve.

• Sourthern Born says:

Sorry I have upset you again… I was only replying to you insult of my intelligence. I guess all your cop buddies and you had to stop giggling when you were served up the recipe… you ask for, by the way you might want to get someone to show you how to use the Dinosourious or whatever it is, it might help with the anger issues. again why don’t you show all the blogs, starting where you attacked me first for having an opinion… again you asked for the recipe I simply delivered it up with a good helping of your own kind of nastiness…. AGAIN I HAVE NEVER SAID RONALD HEWETT WAS INNOCENT, BUT YOU HAVE YET TO ANSWER THAT ONE QUESTION>>> HOW DO YOU JUSTIFY BREAKING THE LAW FOR YEARS, . What I have said is if you are going to persecute the Ex sheriff then lets serve up the same justice for the deputies involved….. Its only my opinion

Here, there are a lot of good cops everywhere the ones who honor the law and protect the citizens, these cops are not afraid to stand between citizens and injustice, but to sit back and do nothing shows a particular type of cowardice and a shortness of moral fortitude… this is what I have said all along… in the face of your attacks on my grammar and sentence structure. you have your opinion I have mine.

I have yet to make one negative comment about any of your opinions on an issue, but you have been diligent both in insults towards me and of my opinions.. I can only assume that judging by how low you have stooped that it would be hard to find you on a floor painted in pokey dots .. So bring on the heat , I will never accept that those stinky deputies are heroes….. And let me add its only my opinion.. yours is most welcomed…. So the next time you want a recipe surely your momma has a cabinet full that she has been serving up to you for years….. They must be good recipes, because you appear to be very intelligent…..with a very good sense of humor…

Regardless of what you might think I like your responses

Your non- superior in the world of sentence structures

How can you of all people tell anyone they need help? Like Contingency said, read your own posts and see how you come across. You have gone from loving the sheriff and hating LEO’s, to hating the sheriff and loving LEO’s.

You type some nonsense about “finger prints of the soul”, still not even sure where that came from.

So before you go bad mouthing anyone, at least I can read what contingency writes and make sense of it.

• Justice says:

All the haters are still here dip stick. He is gone get over it. What happened to your reinstate ronald hewett page????? Did ya give it up? He won’t be back. Grow up. He will be in prison before long. He earned his cell.

• gene says:

I have never seen so many word say so little!

Well, except when Nixon said, “I am not a crook.”

Recipe:

1 lb of giving spell check credit for your intelligence
    A dash of contingency14 wit
    100 lbs of wasting time responding too contingency14 idiotic comments

Eat all of it, get super dumb

PS: If this doesn’t work try re-reading contingency14 blogs

• Elaine Buff says:

I agree with you. And there are more cases just like these.

Hi Wil,
    Yes, it’s me and I have never said that I was or was not a police officer, however I do want to go on record as saying I think LEO’s are great, the good ones that is. I have many friends in Law Enforcement and even a few relatives.

Your one of my favorite writers on the forum. Oh by the way, do not be too sure that I am female..lol.

Look forward to many more discussion with you, your a great writer and I enjoy reading your forums.

Justice and PB,

Don’t be too hard on Southern, I get pretty *itchy sometimes and he/she was just giving it back to me.

Southern,
    Just so you know. I do respect your opinion..I’m just old and crabby sometimes.

• Southern Born says:

Good One that hurt my feelings. I cant take any more you win your the smartest, I am the dumbest.. your brilliant.. … You have all the answers… I have none….. Your opinions are right mine are wrong……you are the most clever…. I was just trying to keep up with you, but obviously I cant I am to full of dumb. I admire your writing and believe I have learned a few things… hope you didn’t get your feelings hurt..

So please don’t refrain from pointing out all my problems, I have judged you unfairly and rescind everything that has been directed at you.. I believe that I have acted childish with my opinions will look forward to other blogs that have your name and hope you the best…

Maybe somewhere along the way we can agree, I would love to have your back in one of these blogs, I think we could really get our points across… have a good weekend… Your Friend

Southern born,
    When I search your comments what I see is an angry, uninformed little troll. When you start a post with “Where is all the Ronald Haters, I notice a a small silence as if the world suddenly stood still, A friend of mine said the deputies looked really depressed (JUST FOR YOUR INFORMATION, THE DEPUTIES ARE DOING FINE AND THINGS ARE REALLY WORKING WELL AT THE BCSO), I believe you can find the reason tucked away in the NEED TO KNOW SECTION of the star news last Friday” one can only assume that you are not informed as to the workings of a Federal Grand Jury, so I simply informed you. However, I am glad that you came out and acknowledge that Ronald is not innocent, and by the way I have done my homework and trust me my mind is open. I love your statement “Ok, that’s impossible for you because you’re a police officer, that is oblivious” Wow, are you missing the mark. I could not afford the cut in pay (sorry Leo’s but I think you are underpaid)

Now, when you speak of the men and women who went to Raleigh to testify you make the comment “So lets talk about justice if my boss orders me to rob a bank.. Can I cry I was worried about my job answer that one while you wiping off the egg … here’s one for you if you and your buddies had admitted to breaking the law while in Raleigh you would be up on charges as well. So I quests your bravery and honor was protected by pleading the Fifth” First of you do not have any idea if they pleaded the fifth, unless you are part of the Federal proceeding (which I doubt very seriously). None of those people have said they are not guilty of breaking some law for following Ronald’s direction, not one of them. However that being said, I also know enough to know that Ronald would have fired anyone who did not show up at one of his “work parties” and if you deny that then all I can say is you must be related to Ronald.

When a federal grand jury seated and they run out of time, they can be extended or the evidence can be read into a newly seated jury and they just continue on, so your assumption that they “cannot deliberate forever and March was the deadline” is inaccurate (no surprises there).

About time sheets, one simple question for you. Mr. Hewett should know what his payroll and overtime budgets where, did he not notice that there were overtime entries? Since he did not sign “timesheets”? Thank you for referring to my a@@ as sweet, that’s very kind of you, but I’m a little miffed about the “so you and your buddies are next”. Once again, you have no idea who I am, nor do I know who you are. The difference with me is I really do not care who you are. I am sure that there will be others whose doings at the BCSO will come into question, just as I am sure there will be others in the county whose dealings will come into question.

So, you state that you where there when Keith Smith volunteered and begged to do the Golf Tournament. Did you stand up and say (with your vast knowledge of what is legal and what is illegal) “that is against the law”, did you speak up and say “you cannot use county money to work on a golf tournament”, did you do anything to let Ronald know he was breaking the law? Or where you afraid that you would lose you job for speaking up? Just asking.

You know what Southerborn, I was not going to take the time to go watch the Federal Trials when they roll around, but after reading your posts, I would not miss it for the world. Because my dear one thing that I can assure you, perjury is still a felony and when you admit you were there when county money was being used inappropriately and you did not step to the plate (as did other officers) to report it, maybe you will be the one with the Goober hat on or an orange jumpsuit.

Your closing statement “anything is better then the stinky 18, at least we know where we stand with Ronald” Yes, we have all read the affidavits and listen to those tapes. I am very sure that women and the black community know exactly where they stand with Ronald, and it’s not a pretty thing.

“and if they decide to get one of us good public servants I can imagine we will have to wear mirrors on our butts to see them coming” I just hope they get a public servant who can sting together a sentence.

In closing let me leave you with this;
    It is physically impossible to put your head up your butt, but my hat is off to you because you seem to have gotten the job done.

• Guestpbs01 says:

I could not disagree anymore than I do right now to your attack on “Cont14″. Saying this kind of fodder lends to itself nothing less THAN the fodder we are seeing in Brunswick County.

I read each of your posts (yours and Cont’s). Both are quite valid and thought out, not to mention, intelligent.
    You know this, or you would not be butting heads with Cont.

HOW ABOUT GORDON HOBBS AS OUR NEW SHERRIF.LOOK AT WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR THE COUNTY ALL READY

• Contingency14 says:

Wow, you used spell check! I am so proud of you I can hardly stand it.

Now for your next trick we will work with Thesaurus and other neat vocabulary tricks. Before you know it Southern, you will be writing at a 6th grade level.

Just look how far you have come from your first post:

LOok Out:

Again, congratulations.

• Todd Douglas For Sheriff says:

He would make an excellent Sherrif! The Community needs a leader like Mr. Douglas… Tough on crime and really cares for his community! I will vote for him!

• Southern Born says:

Look this is interesting if you will search my comments you will notice I have never said Ronald was innocent do your home work then open your mind, OK that’s impossible for you because you are a police officer that is obvious .

So lets talk about justice if my boss orders me to rob a bank.. Can I cry I was worried about my job answer that one while you wiping off the egg … here’s one for you if you and your buddies had admitted to breaking the law while in Raleigh you would be up on charges as well. So I quests your bravery and honor was protected by pleading the Fifth, and as far as the article goes and a grand jury they cannot deliberate forever and march was the deadline for the first round of subpoenas , as far as the second round goes if testimony was given where time sheets were used and they had no signatures or paper work to prove Ronald sign those sheets you can bet your sweet A@@ you and your buddies are next… SO is Ronald innocent NO are the police officers who took my tax dollars while working for Ronald (NOOOOOOO) and might I add he did not force them they volunteered I was there when Keith Smith Begged to Do the Golf Tournament and I will be their to testify against liars so strap on your little GOOBER hat ant get ready ,

As far as reinstate Ronald Goes anything is better than the stinky 18 at least we know where we stand with Ronald and if they decide to get one of us good public servants I can imagine we will have to wear mirrors on our butts to see them coming , so unless you are not one of the stinky 18, I would imagine you must have your head up your butt too. or are fond of cowards…….

ELECT GORDON HOBBS AS SHERRIF

• Southern Born says:

Well!! must say do you have an opinion of your own,

#1 I have only said I dislike the stinky backstabbing law breaking deputies, and please copy one sentence I have written where I say I loved the sheriff, Also I believe contingency14 has some very good points to make, the fact that we have hammered each other with back and forth banter is irrelevant, if you are expecting me to be upset WRONG. It is obvious that Contigency14 is intelligent enough to know that she Stated that I could not string together a sentence in her first response to me.. she is far to intelligent to make that kind of mistake, by stating she never questioned my sentence structure. I believe you are the imposter just trying to play catch-up…. I would say you pegged the Dum@@s meter with your response..

• Justice says:

Wow you were all for him less than a month ago. What happened? Did you finally wise up? Now everyone else is dumb but you right? Wise up cupcake.

• TD Supporter says:

I have to agree with you Todd Douglas would make a great sherrif and I would surely vote for him. He would make short work of keeping the county in line! Let us all support Todd Douglas for sherrif.

Gene,

Boy did you open my eyes. I have to agree with you and Southern on this, the only reason is someone is in the pocket.

Southern, I know what you were saying about sometimes someone will put something out here that just makes you go “WOW”. Had you heard all this before?

Gene,

Please keep posting and try to make sure that you post at the begining of the form to make sure people see this. It’s important if we are ever going to clean up the mess that we have that everyone is aware of all the mess that is going on.

Thanks again for taking the time to post all this out here. It’s very important that we get information on people wanting to take the Sheriff’s position.

• Southern Born says:

“Wow!!! you are so clever” I give up and by the way check your spelling I believe its String not sting….

and if your working against Ronald there is a possibility we could be stuck with him and the stinky 18 a very long time…

remember you are what you eat, and judging by what you are full of, one can only believe that it must oose out of everyone of your orifices…

• Southern Born says:

Goodbye Ronald: your resignation will probably insight more abuse by many to dance in glory at your demise, a fallen sheriff who once carried 70% percent of the vote

For your comrades who pushed you into the arms of justice after having walked that path with you hopefully they will never be placed in a situation where they will be required to choose between the law and doing what is right if so hopefully they will be men enough to accept their responsibility and resign before burying their sudden morality into the next poor slobs back.

For those of us who believe in Santa Clause hopefully we will get at least 20 resignations Or Terminations by Christmas, true justice would place them directly across the cell block from you. hopefully the message sent here is follow the law: not set the situation up to cover ones A@@,

So I appeal to the citizens if we are to have true reform then lets start by purging any and all involved in this embarrassment to our county after all he did hire them, and if his judgment is that clouded then how can we have confidence in them.

So please do not honor these cowards of fate, but demand and praise their demise as we have Ronald Hewetts

• Southern Born says:

This is going to be tuff to scribe on this screen, but I AGREE WITH EVRYTHING YOU HAVE SAID HERE… please refrain from being right it hurts to much…

Dear Contingency,

I would like to apologies for the off hand remarks that I have made, if I have offended you I’am truly sorry, it is just that I feel very strongly that all should be brought to justice. I would hope that you will continue to voice your opinions,

I find your responses on the issues insightful and very intelligent (Well Written As Well).

I simply forgot that your opinions are just as important as mine…

I would also like to apologies to Gene and Justice….

• Southern Born says:

Nerves are like finger prints of the Soul, and it would appear that your nerves do not hold up well in the face adversity, I apologies for upsetting you. I had no idea of your delicate animosity towards justice, However it would appear that you would not have all the cards on the table, I for one have yet to here you explain how breaking the law once sworn becomes excusable under any circumstance.

Perhaps the fact that you yourself in your comments have wiggled in so many directions in and effort to condone the actions of all who broke the law except, (Mr. Hewett) have simply misplaced that part where you need to place your head.

As far as my sentence structure goes, if it requires perfect grammar in order to be considered as having an opinion then you yourself should practice that which you preach….

So with that said

I believe that all the wheels of justice will turn; I believe that Ronald is guilty and I believe that any one who breaks the law for any reason should be held accountable…

I do not blame my faults on my boss and I do not follow bad orders… I take responsibility for my own actions…

These are just my opinions and in no way demean yours, but since you attacked me first I apologies for reducing myself to your level

“No I don’t” its just too much fun watching the stickiest in this matter squirm…..

• Gene says:

It is great to see the support you show for good and decent Law Enforcement Officers! There are not many jobs that equal the stress and dangers of every day work life as a career in Law Enforcement. These people are in the business for the love of a peaceful and safe community. It is certainly not for the pay! Your genuine support of the fine LEO’s is more appreciated than you could ever imagine. They need that support.

These fine men and women have enough on their plates without having to serve with or for a dirty cop! Brunswick County is now moving in the right direction to bring honor to the Sheriff’s department. This honor had been stripped away by the Sheriff himself. Are others involved? I do not know, there very well may be. If there are, it is my hope not only in support of we citizens but in support of the good officers out there that we are able to remove these too.

That is why when I learned of all the dirty laundry in the hands of BSL Police Chief Emmett Ballree I started posting the information and the sources of that information. The citizens of BSL deserve better. And, the officers at BSL should not be subjected to reporting to a Chief with his background.

You stated in one of your replies a thank you for the information and that you had no idea about these things. That is what I am trying to do here. Make other BSL citizens aware of these things.

The very worst of it all is the fact that the BSL town manager had all these facts in his hand before he did the hiring. Then Mayor Kinney also had these facts and they went ahead with the hire! The rest of the town council had zero say so in the matter! However, they to a man and woman do now and they refuse to do anything about it. You have to wonder why? There has to be a motive and that is a very scary thing.

Ballree cut a deal with Mt. Olive and cut and ran! What he got from the deal was, Mt. Olive did not pursue criminal charges so, Ballree has never had a full and complete investigation. He walked away clean and free and now he is here in our town and the fine officers at BSL have to live with that. That is just not right!

Ballree was hired and in place for about two weeks before I saw a State Port Pilot that had not been thrown away. Almost everything I have printed was in that paper! It was the article on Ballree being hired!

If this is the very best that Hewett and the clan at BSL Town Hall can give the citizens and the good officers of that department, everyone of them needs to go. I put Hewett way above Ballree, Lewis, Kinney, and the rest of the commissioners of BSL. Hewett at the very least did the right thing in the end and resigned. Lewis and company have crammed Ballree down the throats of we citizens and down the throats of good decent law officers.
    Like anything else vile crammed down ones throat, it makes one want to vomit!

Dear Southern Born,
    You did not upset me, you amuse me. Trust me we when we read your “recipe” it only confirmed what we thought about you in the beginning. You state you never said Ronald Hewett was innocent, but your ramblings say otherwise. No law enforcement officer needs you to say “here, there are a lot of good cops” they already know that.

I thought the issue was to teach you to write so that we could understand what it is you are trying to convey, I was wrong. We need to teach you to read your ramblings so that you will know what you have said, and how you came across.

One other thing, never have I said that you were “You were non- superior in the world of sentence structures” you are the only one who has produced evidence of that.

In closing let me address your statement ” by the way you might want to get someone to show you how to use the Dinosourious or whatever it is, it might help with the anger issues” The term you are trying to address is Thesaurus. For you education a Thesaurus in not a drug, it is a writing device used to improve your vocabulary by providing you with options in the use of certain words.

Please do not belittle law enforcement officers, one day you may need their help and that will be a bitter pill for you to swallow.

I must revert to the age old saying “it’s hard to have a battle of the wits, with an un-armed person”.

ENOUGH SAID PLEASE READ YOUR ORGINAL POST

LOok Out:

• Gene says:

I am not very concerned with the good LEO’s in BSL changing. They were good upright officers you could be (and are) proud of before Ballree came here and they will be good and upright officers when he is gone.

I do worry for them professionally out on the street of course. But I also now, for the first time worry for them internally within the department. The Police Chief in any department can make things very unpleasant for those that report to him. Lets just all hold with great hope they are not treated unethically and that they like this town will be able to weather this storm.

As to your reference to the town “horribles”, I could not agree with you more. We citizens put them there and we citizens can take them out and as soon as we are rid of them, Lewis needs to go too!

To you good and upstanding officers at BSL, there are more citizens behind you than you may think. Hold on to that.

• Gene says:

It seems to be an accepted fact that Ron Hewwett will not be returning to his office at the Brunswick County Sheriff Department. However, he may in fact return to the jail complex for, some time.

For all those Hewett supporters that would miss his type of monkey business I again submit the name of Emmett Ballree, currently the Chief of Police in Boiling Spring Lakes.

Below are excerpts from WRAL-TV, WTTN-TV and the “Goldsboro New-Argus” That will give you a better idea of why Ballree would be a great choice.

From WTTN
    “Mount Olive’s police chief for the past 13 years has quit amid questions he used a town gas card for personal use.

Town manager Charles Brown says Emmett Ballree resigned Friday afternoon.

Ballree had been chief for 13 years, and served a total of 22 years with Mount Olive.”

From WRAL
    “Mount Olive, N.C. — The police chief of Mount Olive has resigned amid allegations that he used a town credit card at a gas station to fill the tank of his personal vehicles, authorities said.

Chief Emmett Ballree resigned late Friday after the town conducted an internal investigation. Officials said no criminal charges would be filed in the matter.”

From the NEWS-ARGUS,
    “Mount Olive chief refused to listen to allegations
    Former Mount Olive police Chief Emmett Ballree won’t confirm or deny allegations that he used the town’s credit card to gas up one or more personal vehicles.

But Mount Olive Town Manager Charles Brown said he has information to substantiate the claim that the credit card was used improperly.

Brown received a report about two weeks ago that Ballree filled up a personal vehicle and paid for the gas using the town’s credit card. Using the town credit card for personal use is not allowed, according to town policy.

Brown investigated the allegation and addressed the issue with the Mount Olive Town Board in a closed door meeting.

Ballree, 48, learned that the meeting was about the police department in general and about him specifically. So he tracked down Brown to discuss the matter further Friday.

Ballree said Brown told him that some allegations had been made. Unwilling to subject himself and his family through an investigation, Ballree offered to resolve the matter by turning in his police badge.”

You would have to question why he turned in his badge, on the spot, the same day he learned of this, without so much as an explanation. Of course, unless he knew he was guilty and the town was going to be able to prove it! Not a bad deal. Walk away and the town does not pursue criminal charges. He got off better than Hewett on that!

More from the NEWS-ARGUS,
    “MOUNT OLIVE – Town officials say they have a videotape substantiating claims the town’s former police chief misused the town’s credit card…..
    …According to one town official who asked not to be identified, the town was able to substantiate the claims of credit card misuse after viewing a surveillance tape from the Handy Mart located on North Breazeale Avenue.”

And, it seems “like father, like son”

from the NEWS-ARGUS
    “Chief’s son charged
    MOUNT OLIVE — Michael Ballree, 18, of Mount Olive has been charged with larceny of firearms.

He is the son of the Mount Olive chief of police, Emmett Ballree, who has removed himself from involvement in the investigation and has requested a full investigation and review by the District Attorney’s office.

Michael Ballree is charged with taking four handguns from a cabinet at the police station. He is free on $2,500 bond.”

The similarities between Hewett and Ballree are amazing. Ballree would bring back to the Brunswick County Sheriff Department just about exactly what just left.

We in Boiling Springs lakes I guess should thank David Lewis and Joan Kinney for having the foresight to bring Ballree to this town and thereby our county. We should further thank Mayor Kesmodel and council members Caster, Troscianiec, and of course Kinney for ignoring Ballree’s personal use of a BSL car since he came here. After all, our county is in need of a new Sheriff and Ballree seems to fit the bill perfectly. In the larger interest of our county, they should unanimously submit Ballree for our Sheriff.

This should also help heal the wounds of the Hewett supporters. They can’t have Hewett back but, But Ballree would be very, very close!

• BCMM says:

RONALD WILL RETURN AFTER THE CAHRGES HAVE BEEN DROPPED

• clearheaded says:

I am sick of hearing and reading how V. Ward and Mr. Epstein and the commissiiones are worried about the BCSD. I would just like to know how many times they have been there to check and see how things are going. Just to let you know things are going very well. No calls have been un-answered, the staff and everyone there are doing the jobs that they all have been wanting to do and not worry about the sheriff’s political future. They are out there every day trying to protect the citizens of Brunswick County. They are all people of this county we should be proud of. Why is it when we of brunswick county think that we must hire people, someone outside the county to do this job. These people have carried on their dutys without missing a beat.The only ones that haven’t are the ones who deceided to take long vacations. They probably were not doing their job’s before. But as you know Ronald could not fire anyone because of the investgation. I think we need people from this county to do this job because they love this county and the people and it’s not the money that is most important.Lastly if you see one of YOUR Brunswick County officers in the up coming days please say thank-you to them for the job that they are doing. remember one man does not make up the department.

• BCGAL says:

Of course, Mr. Epstein is going to be concerned….#1 he lives in Brunswick county and #2 He works in Brunswick County. He is the spokesman for the commissioners and I am concerned as well for the department. Yes, I am sure everyone is doing fine, but HELLO….. in light of the recent events, there is a lot of backstabbing and MESS going on. How much do we not know about??? Everyone is trying to cover their own butts now!! Of course the men have reason to be concerned!! If you’re not, then you are CRAZY!!!!!

• Contingency14 says:

I could not agree with you more, they knew what hell our LEO’s at the Sheriff’s department were living in and did nothing.

I recently saw a deputy and thanked him and told him I thought they do a geat job. I thought that young man was going to cry. I hate what Hewett and the rest have done to those who try so hard to protect our county, it mades me sick

• Freddie's says:

You’re kidding me, right??? This is a VERY good ole’ boy county. You don’t have a snowball’s chance in H E double toothpicks. I love the credentials, however, you will never be accepted “’round these parts”. Hate it for ya.

It seems awfully strange that if indeed Mr. Hewett is as guilty as he is accused, then why, pray tell has he been sheriff for the last 14 years. If memory serves correctly the last election, he was the only one on the ballot. I wonder why all of a sudden we have all these potential candidates for the position swearing to do a better job. Where have they been up til now? Why haven’t they been trying to get this “corrupt” man thrown out before now? My heart goes out to the Hewett family. May the public persecution move on quickly.

• Zippy Doo says:

I guess the past 4years have been…I dunno…gun running and drug trafficking? Sure, I’d hire you…not.

• BrianInWilmington says:

Renado Prince is a decent upstanding man with morals. He takes care of his people and if elected Sheriff he will take care of the Brunswick Co. citizens. He is a think outside of the box type of guy and the citizens of Brunswick Co. would be lucky to have him; just as the citizens of Wilmington have had for the last 14 years.

Who the hell is Renado Prince? I’ve got a resume that can beat his!

• SkullDrag says:

Don’t need you, don’t want you, quit politicing and spaming the message boards….

• Chris says:

Education Mount Olive College, Bachelor of Criminal Justice Administration, Mount Olive College.
    Community College of the Air Force, Associates of Criminal Justice, June 1996
    North Carolina State University, Administrative Officer Management Program (AOMP), October 2005
    USAF Air University, USAF Senior NCO Academy, October 1999
    USAF Air University, USAF NCO Leadership School, November 1989
    Experience
    · Police Sergeant, Crime Scene Investigator Supervisor, Master Police Officer, Patrol Officer. Responsible for serving the public and supervision of assigned personnel, enforcing laws and protection of property and lives. (1993 – 2004)
    · Gastonia Police Department Vice Narcotics Agent. (1992 – 1993)
    · Master Sergeant (E-7) USAF Law Enforcement Specialist. Flight Chief, Superintendent of Investigations. Responsible for managing, supervising directing the activity of 125 Law Enforcement personnel. Provide Security to SJAF and its 92 thirty three million dollar each aircraft, along with its 20,000 residents. Insure proper investigation of all cases on the instillation that were in violation of state law and/or the UCMJ. (1981 – 1991)

• guest252525 says:

Im a Hewett supporter and like you I hate Hewett is not Sheriff,but we have 30 days to find a good person to take his place.Do you want one of the 22 deputies to get the job?I hope not.Time is ticking we better find some one that has a clean back ground.Prince has 23 years in law enforcement he is a very good man and he would be great for the people of Brunswick County.

Who is he? Who cares? This isnt a space for political advertisements. The process will prevail for the appointment and finally an election for sheriff. Damn, Rons office isnt clean yet and you folks already started on who “you” want for sheriff. Back to the good ole boy system.

I bet he will…Learn to SPELL

• BCMM says:

SORRY ABOUT MISPELLED. I AM TOTALTY BLIND AND MY 6 YEAR GRAND DAUGHTER OLD IS TYPING FOR ME. SHE READS THE FORUMS. DON,T JUDGE ME LIKE YOU HAVE JUDGED OUR SHERRF.

hope you are right.so many crude and unchristian remarks have been made/I have been taught to clean up my own house before i try to clean my friends.Let us all remember we will be judged by a much higher court than n.c.
    Let us all pray for Ron and his family.

• Justice says:

He will return to the jail house.

Neither the cahrges nor charges will be dropped.

Right..Well then perhaps he can be cahrged (charged) for drug trafficking, murder and if he’s behind on his illegitiment children’s child support, we can get him on that too!!

Wake up Brunswick County its all going to come out eventually. Ultimately he will answer to his maker.

• Joe says:

Renny is a great guy and a top notch officer of the law. I think he would be a great Sheriff of our county. Anybody that knows him, and his way of thinking will agree. I don’t believe anybody out there can or will ever say anything bad about him. I didn’t know that Renny was going to pursue the position, but if he does, I guarantee he will do a great job.

If he can do such a fine job as Sheriff why didn’t he do a fine job with his son, Renado Prince, Jr? He is one of the biggest drug dealers off of Van Galloway Trail. He probably has warrants out on him right now.

• Me says:

no i dont have warants. for two i work ten hours a day thanks to my dad finding me a job with the city. Its funny though cause you know of my pasts so you must of been on drugs yourself. My father is a great man and can really help clean this county up unlike the sheriff we had. So if you know like i do stand behind him in support not hate.

Can he get me a job too, I mean two?

Supervision Record for Sentence Number: 05-001
    Commitment Type: PROBATION/PAROLE
    Conviction Date: 01/11/2007 County of Conviction: BRUNSWICK
    Punishment Type: INTERMEDIATE SS
    Sentence Type 1: PROBATION
    Sentence Type 2: SUSPENDED SENTENCE
    Sentence Type 3: DEPT OF CORR DIV OF PRISONS
    Supervision Term: 24 MONTHS
    Commitment Docket# Offense (Qualifier) Offense Date Type Sentencing Penalty Class Code
    INITIAL 06051330 POSSESS SCHEDULE II (PRINCIPAL) 02/24/2006 FELON CLASS I

Supervision Record for Sentence Number: 04-001
    Commitment Type: PROBATION/PAROLE
    Conviction Date: 10/04/2004 County of Conviction: BRUNSWICK
    Punishment Type: COMMUNITY SS (DCC)
    Sentence Type 1: PROBATION
    Sentence Type 2: SUSPENDED SENTENCE
    Sentence Type 3: DEPT OF CORR DIV OF PRISONS
    CONCURRENT TO SENTENCE NUMBER 03-001 04004075 MISC MOTOR VEHICLE VIOLATION (PRINCIPAL) 07/03/2004 MISD. NON CLASS CODE

Supervision Record for Sentence Number: 03-001
    Commitment Type: PROBATION/PAROLE
    Conviction Date: 10/04/2004 County of Conviction: BRUNSWICK
    Punishment Type: COMMUNITY SS (DCC)
    Sentence Type 1: PROBATION
    Sentence Type 2: SUSPENDED SENTENCE
    Sentence Type 3: DEPT OF CORR DIV OF PRISONS
    CONCURRENT TO SENTENCE NUMBER 02-001 04053603 POSSESS SCHEDULE VI (PRINCIPAL) 05/25/2004 MISD. CLASS 3 MISDEMEANOR SS

Supervision Record for Sentence Number: 02-001
    Commitment Type: PROBATION/PAROLE
    Conviction Date: 10/04/2004 County of Conviction: BRUNSWICK
    Punishment Type: COMMUNITY SS (DCC)
    Sentence Type 1: PROBATION
    Sentence Type 2: SUSPENDED SENTENCE
    Sentence Type 3: DEPT OF CORR DIV OF PRISONS
    CONCURRENT TO SENTENCE NUMBER 01-001 04053604 ASSAULT/THR AGNST GOVERNMNT (PRINCIPAL) 05/25/2004 MISD. CLASS A1 MISDEMEANOR SS

Supervision Record for Sentence Number: 01-001
    Commitment Type: PROBATION/PAROLE
    Conviction Date: 10/04/2004 County of Conviction: BRUNSWICK
    Punishment Type: INTERMEDIATE SS
    Sentence Type 1: PROBATION
    Sentence Type 2: SUSPENDED SENTENCE
    Sentence Type 3: DEPT OF CORR DIV OF PRISONS
    INITIAL 04053601 ASSAULT/THR AGNST GOVERNMNT (PRINCIPAL) 05/25/2004 MISD. CLASS A1 MISDEMEANOR SS

• herbert says:

I’m not voting for anyone from brunswick county for sheriff. They need to clean house, and get rid of a lot more than Ron.

• if you do says:

If you do then why dont you post it. Are you scared?

• Guest citizen of brunswick county says:

Vernon ward is not to be trusted. Never turn your back on him.

• Did he not just get denied the Chief’s position in Leland? Wonder why? If he is not qualified for Leland, how can he be for the whole county?

• guess252525 says:

I know him hes a good man and hes not a insider Im with you Prince for Sheriff!!!

• Im sad to see you leave says:

Im sad to see him go. He was a great sheriff i think. He got alot of drugs off of the streets. The crime would be like Wilmington if he wasnt here. Im sorry Ronald. Ive lived here my whole life and he got this town in control. I hate to see him go. I know people dont like him now but i still think he did a good job.