Former Brunswick Sheriff Sentenced

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 10/07/2008 - 2:21pm
Updated: Sun, 07/13/2014 - 1:58am By:

Former Brunswick County Sheriff Ron Hewett is going to prison.

Saying he betrayed a precious trust, a federal judge in Raleigh gave Ron Hewett 16 months behind bars on three counts of obstruction of justice, while also hitting him with a heavy fine.

Judge Earl Britt began Hewett's sentencing by saying it was a tragic day for Brunswick County and the state of North Carolina. He said he has seen far too many public officials facing jail time.

It has been a long road for the former sheriff. After being named the youngest sheriff in the state when he started serving at age 31, some supporters say he did all the right things for Brunswick County.

Frank Hewett, Ron’s cousin, felt that Ron did better that just good.

"Ron Hewett has been the best sheriff Brunswick County has ever had," he said.

After pleading guilty to three counts of obstructing justice, Ron Hewett received his sentence: 16 months in federal prison, a $10,000 fine and two years supervised probation after his release.

Leland resident George Cooper said that is not enough.

"I'm here today to see him get sentenced," Cooper said. "I was hoping he would get about 10 years, but it didn't happen that way. I was shocked."

Cooper said Hewett and other deputies shot him seven times last May. He came to the federal courthouse in Raleigh to see the sentencing for himself.

While some like Cooper think Hewett is a corrupt man, in the eyes of his family and friends who surrounded him on this fateful day, he was a good man.

i will never feel like an idiot for expressing my opinion. it’s simply MY OPINION. why do i have to wait for the news? why don’t you just “bring it”? apparently, you’re waiting for confirmation to rumor and innuendo started by the sorry hewett supporters who just can’t let go.

No….. most locals thought he was a joke.

Ronald Hewett saved Brunswick Co. You people that are saying bad things about him don’t know him and probably aren’t local. Get a life and find something better to do. More than likely he put away someone you know and that’s why you are bitter.

• Missy says:

LOL! That last sentence was hilarious!

• Guest Betty says:

YOU MUST BE VOTING FOR OBAMA, AS HE DOESN’T
    BELIEVE IN GOD EITHER. YOU BETTER GET ON YOUR
    KNEES BEFORE IT IS TO LATE FELLOW, AND ASK THE LORD TO FORGIVE YOU OF YOUR SINS. IT’S NOT TO LATE AS HE LOVES YOU VERY MUCH

• Justice says:

You will just have to forgive me if I don’t use my real name, as the two of you have. Maybe both of your parents had a sense of humor when they named you. If we are to believe those are your real names. In the meantime if your not aware of what a good, decent man is, go back to those same parents and see if they can clue you in. Let me see if I can help you out though, chances are that a good man would not be headed to prison. Nor would that same good man have friends that turn on him. People tend to befriend others with common traits. It is okay to demand loyalty if your willing to return the gesture. Guess who demanded it and forgot to return the favor??? That’s correct…the same guy headed to prison. Your hasbeen Hewett.

16 months????? what a joke! a public official gets a slap on the wrist. the courts should have made an example of him. alot of foolish people still carry a torch for old ronald. he may have done some good for the county, but all of that is blemished and overshadowed by his stupidity and greed. those who are lamenting his shameful misconduct should take a look at how the department is being run now. deputies are actually doing what deputies should do. the administration is less of a dictatorship. there are no shrines to the new sheriff adorning the walls of the sheriff’s department.

• KINGBASE says:

I pray for you, degod. I am so sorry about your belief system.

• KINGBASE says:

I do know the REAL Ron Hewett! I also know Kevin and Gene Allan and alot of other BC deputies. I also know that many of them could be having their day as well. My point to this is that educated, professional people should know how to handle a situation like this. If a friend or co-worker has a problem, you don’t stabb them in the back and tape conversations and pretend to be on their side. When a friend needs help you try and get him help you don’t try to stabb him in the back. There are other ways of handling things more professionally. I understand who was involved and orders may have been past down but it was not done in a professional way. I know that it likely was the goal for THE GUYS to make themselves look good, however they never know who may be taping their converations one day, or it may have already happened. Also some people on BCSD should have been scared for their jobs anyway. Some are not even qualified to do them. That might be one thing Ron did worng, is hiring some of the people he did. I have even seen some officers take their kids to school in their marked cars. I thought someone said that was not allowed. I also have been pasted on HWY 17 blue lights and all so that the officer could meet his buddies at the buffet in Shallotte. Are they above the law?Oh, just a thought, none of these people be may professional anyway. Some even have trouble using correct english in the courtroom!!! Now, that is embarrassing. And just to point out, you yourself have made a few errors in your response. Your— should have you’re. But I will excuse you too.

• HAMMER TIME says:

was phil norris at hewetts sentencing as a pastor or a commisioner?? heres the answer…I was at the federal courthouse and heard norris say “it’s a injustice”, so does that mean he agrees with the laws hewett broke?
    hey phil, what about the people he treated like dirt? and took their jobs away, when some did nothing at all, except for not collecting enough money… or missing a function..explain that…
    sounds to me that norris is for hewett…so does that mean he doesn’t practice what he preaches….norris, bill sue and marty lawing need to go….

• atheist says:

god is an excuse for a lot of folks. Its his fault when bad things happen (oh its gods will), he gets the glory when good things happen…blahblahblah.

If its gods will and he has the grand master plan then why bother praying?? You actually think he is going to change his plan just for you?? I make my own luck, good or bad. Too bad they haven’t figured that out yet, they would be a lot better off.

• Shallotte Resident says:

Don’t get yourself worked up, I have already prayed that this person has been forgiven. We are all God’s children.

• Shallotte Resident says:

From what I understand, he had 2 sides of him. One the public and family seen and the other his office seen. Is this true?

• wheva says:

How arrogant of Betty to say what Obama believes or not. I guess you know him personally. Typical christian you are.

• Weeeooooooooo says:

I bet after 16 months with “the boys” those “basset hounds” at home are sure going to look like “Puppies” when Ron gets back!
    Yoweeeeeeeeeee!

• Doc says:

Love to be a fly on the wall in his prison cell when his cell mate ask….”What are you in for…sweetie?”

• Guest for sure says:

to the one that thinks people are just putting rumors on here on what has been going on saturday night at, brunswick county jail.well you should look at captain kevins comment page and maybe you might learn more.

when ron gets back?????? are you speaking of getting back to the sheriff’s department? do you honestly believe that there are enough idiots in brunswick county to vote a convicted felon back into public office???? i think when he gets released from prison, he’ll take up his “marbles” and move off to a land far, far away. hopefully to another galaxy. he’s an embarassment to the people of brunswick county, especially his supporters. i’ll give him enough credit to say that i’m sure he realizes that fact.

• southern born says:

Why not show your bravery and tell us who you are so that we have a gauge by which to judge what a good man should be.

• Justice says:

Frank Hewett, Ron’s cousin, felt that Ron did better than just good. “Ron Hewett has been the best sheriff Brunswick County has ever had.” Who are you trying to kid???? Ronald Hewett was a sorry excuse for a man, nothing more than a overated coward and one of the worse sheriff’s in the history of Brunswick county. He took credit for arrests he had nothing to do with. He had a God complex. People like cousin Frank made him think he was untouchable. He was not. Hollywood Hewett is now Hasbeen Hewett. Story over. Enjoy your cell Ronnie.

• weeeeeoooooooo says:

No, I do not mean when he gets back in as Sheriff! A convicted felon can not hold that office. Duh! I mean when he gets back home! The “bassets” at home will be welcome “puppies” after 16 months of, the “boys club”.

• KINGBASE says:

It’s really nice for everyone to add their two cents but Ronald’s wrong doings are between him and his God. Some of those people who claimed to be his friend have not been perfect either. You know who you are! There may be people commenting on your article one day. I support his family and him in this process. We all need to acknowledge that people do change and can be humble. I guess the other lesson in this is that people may not be able to trust who their friends are. It is sad that in a world like we live in today that there has to be back stabbing and people trying to start trouble. Ronald is a good person, maybe he has made mistakes but I have not meet a person yet who has been perfect. The next time you get a speeding ticket, remember not to go to a friend for help because you would be expecting to be helped out of something. It might be interferring with the law!

• Gene says:

Nice to have such a well educated person respond on this blog. Which Hewett are you? Another cousin maybe?

• Gene says:

Sheriff, ex-sheriff, Ron, Ronald, etc., very soon all of this will be cleared up and the confusion ended on what he should be called with or without his wants. As soon as he reports to prison he will be assigned a number. During that time all can just refer to him by that number. Example, prisoner 911085 or whatever. It will be a simple thing. Problem solved. Thanks, Uncle Sam!

• Guest for sure says:

You think things are going great at the sheriff’s department.Well before you tell things you don’t know about. Wait till what has been going on up there this week hits the news.Boy you will feel like an idiot.There is still curruption up there by some of those GOOD OLE BOYS’..Just wait it is gonna hit the news stations.

• Gene says:

I agree with your commentary 100% So much so I believe it is worth repeating, we should take the time to thank our upstanding officers of the law, State, County, or City for an outstanding job. Few seem to understand there is no such thing as a routine call and an officers life may be on the line or snuffed out at any given moment.

Dirty cops should be removed from the ranks of the decent. After all, those dirty cops bring a pall over all that live by the oath of their duty. It only makes a decent officers life harder to have them within the ranks. The discovery, prosecution, and conviction of Hewett was just one more step in policing the police and shoring up their ranks. In this case, the system has worked.

I would like to ask you, if an officer used or was using a patrol vehicle for personal and/or family business would that not be wrong? Would the use of gas plus the mileage, wear and tear on the vehicle for non-town and non-work related purposes not be steeling? Would there be any real difference in an officer using $5 worth of gas for personal use or taking $5 out of the petty cash drawer?

There still exists today at least one in the area that is or has been guilty of steeling if you believe the answers to the above are yes. If any officer has knowledge of this or, as far as that goes, any town official, should that officer(s) or official(s) not come forward? I can only hope that one does.

Lastly, to you and your comrades in law enforcement. Thank you for your diligence in an often thankless job. Thank you for being that “thin blue line” between the public and the lawbreakers. Thank you for keeping both your eyes and mouth open.

• YOUR BUDDY says:

RON IS GOING AROUND SAYING HE IS TAKING THE HEAT FOR EVERYONE ELSE. NO RON, YOU DID IT YOURSELF. YOUR HATEFUL AND YOUR SNEAKY WAYS GOT YOU WHERE YOU ARE TODAY. KINGBASE, YOU WROTE ABOUT BACK STABBING. DO YOU KNOW THE PEOPLE WHO FINALLY STOOD UP? THE PEOPLE WHO STOOD UP RAN THE SHERIFF’S OFFICE WHILE GETTING CURSED BY A DRUNK PILLED UP OUT OF CONTROL FREAK. THE PEOPLE WHO STOOD UP, ARE VERY BRAVE. THE PEOPLE WHO STOOD UP, PUT THEIR CAREERS ON THE LINE AND HAD TO WORRY ABOUT THEIR JOBS EVERYDAY. THE PEOPLE WHO STOOD UP, DID WHAT WAS RIGHT. THE PEOPLE WHO STOOD UP, WAS DONE WRONG EACH AND EVERYDAY BY A MAN WHO SAID HE WAS GOD. THE PEOPLE WHO STOOD UP, YOU CALL BACK STABBERS, I CALL THEM BRAVE. KINGBASE, YOU KNOW RONNIE PROTECTED ALOT OF PEOPLE. THOSE WHO HE PROTECTED ARE RUNNING SCARED. WHILE IN PRISON, I HOPE RON LEARNS HOW TO CUT TREES, PLANT GRASS, PLANT TREES, AND PLANT HIS OWN FLOWERS. KNGBASE, I EXCUSE YOU. YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT REALLY HAPPEN, NOR DO YOU KNOW THE REAL RONALD E. HEWETT. RON MIGHT HAVE TREATED YOU GOOD, BUT AS SOON AS HE LEFT YOU, HE WAS TALKING BAD ABOUT YOU TOO. THOSE WHO BELIEVE IN RON, I’M SORRY YOU ARE EXCUSED. OH YEA! RON ITS NOT THE DEVIL, ITS ONLY JUSTICE.

• IGNORANCE OF THE LAW IS NO EXCUSE says:

SO WHO HAS HE SAVED????? ALL THE DRUG DEALERS, POSSIBLY.

• Justin America says:

Just another criminal in a cop costume. What’s really funny is the quote… “Ron Hewett has been the best sheriff Brunswick County has ever had.” That may be true. LOL.

• Standing next to you says:

What ya gonna do.

I thought we had a great Sheriff.
    Looked good on TV.
    Sounded good on radio.

He made mistakes, and he’s going to do his time.

But the Department on the whole is a fine department.

The Brunswick County officers have always appeared to be professionals of the highest caliber. The Leland police are friendly and efficient.

It’s a crappy job, but service to the community is their reward. We’re lucky enough to have these men and women out there dealing with people we wouldn’t want to have any contact with. They do it knowing that in an instant it could be gone.
    His life, wife and children lives destroyed so quickly. On a dark highway, middle of the night these people put it all on the line for us.

And they do it for peanuts compared to other professions salaries. These officers deserve whatever we can give them to make the job easier and give them the edge they need to go home safely at night.

Actually, I believe there should be two officers patrolling in one cruiser. If you’ve seen COPS you know how violent some of the offenders are. We in Brunswick County would gladly pay for more officers, there are other areas to cut and trim in the county budget where it would not be missed and the priority wouldn’t even come close to the protection afforded by our Deputy’s and Police Officers.

We have to make it right by them, and in doing so we’re making it right for us. Business, property owners, students, retirees and seniors. Restaurants, convenience stores, could help fund raise for the departments to acquire whatever tools, technology, or tactics to help us defeat crime in our areas.

Judge Earl Britt began by saying “he has seen far too many public officials facing jail time”.

It’s a shame they have to be elected. I understand why, but when we turn people into politicians, it messes up even the nicest people.

When it comes to politicians,
    Sooner or later they’re all crooks.

Choose your flavor When it comes to voting for Sheriff, But always stand with your Law Enforcement Officers, they’re
    standing next to you.

Remember,

IN THE LAND OF THE BLIND

THE ONE EYED MAN IS KING

• marie says:

Wow Jerry Springer! Or is this rant @ raves on craigs list? Very interesting.

• fozbot98 says:

Ron Hewett did not clean up Leland. LAPD did that. Ron Hewett did not come north of Mill Creek unless it was a political function or a TV camera was on. Any cleaning up that did take place outside the Leland city limits was done by patrol officers, detectives and vice officers. They did the work and he took the credit. Also, he cant run again because he is convicted felon and felons cannot be law enforcement officers in NC.

• hewitt blew it says:

people be prepared that just goes to show when you get elected or work as a high official for the tax payers , dont even think about j walking .

• Justice says:

Bravery? Kinda like you I guess huh? I guess we are to believe your real name is southern born? Yeah okay….Here’s how you judge a good man, how he treats the people he resides over. Since those people turned on him. I would have to go out on a limb and say they were not treated well. What do you think? Are you not the same one who had the little save Ronald Hewett page going? You failed. Your hero is on his way to a jail cell. Yes I have the right to judge and demand justice of the officials that are elected in this county. It really boils down to this…If Ronnie was such a good person, Ronnie would still be the Sheriff of Brunswick County, he would not be on his way to prison. The problem for him was that in his rise to the top he stepped on to many fingers, they refused to catch him on his way down. Now it is time for you to grow up, find another person to worship, this one is a wash out.

• fozbot98 says:

Ok, 16 months active in federal prison for obstruction. Whether you like it, dont like it, dont care, deal with it. That’s what sentencing laws are for. What most people fail to realize is this was a plea agreement. I am sure some people here understand and can also explain what “housecleaning” is when it comes to a court docket. Instead of spending thousands of dollars in tax payers money for a lengthy trial that will end in a guilty verdict, the defendant is offered a plea to get it off the calendar. He pleas to charges, he is sentenced. Its over. It saves money. I dont agree with it. It happens. Whatever else he was going to be charged with goes away. Case closed. That’s the real “criminal justice system” folks. None of us like it but that’s the way it goes.

Now, I see people commenting on how “wonderful” ron is and how great of a sheriff he was. Let me put this nicely. You never worked for him. PERIOD!! Yes I worked there. I loved it initially and then I got to see what he was really like. My first Sgt gave me some advice when I started that helped me along. I did my job, kept my eyes open and mouth shut. I saw people get the shaft for absolutely no reason. One officer was called and fired over the phone while on vacation, just after the birth of a child because someone complained on him. Another officer was contacted just prior to coming to work and transferred to another division without any notice. When asked why they were being transferred, the response was “we dont have to tell you that.” Ron is great. Sure. That office is filled actions just like that at the hands of ron hewett. I left because I lost respect for the man. I saw him for what he was.

I had a gentleman just tonight come up to me and thank me and another officer for just being out here in a thankless job and doing what we do. Maybe some of you should do that next time you see a deputy. Just say thank you for hanging around and being strong enough to tolerate all the BS that took place and having faith that there was light at the end of the tunnel. Thank for being there!
    I think that was 3 cents worth.

• SOME ONE WHO'S BEEN INFRONT OF YOU says:

TO ALL BRUNSWICK CO.PEOPLE WE ALL CAN CRY, BE GLAD OR WHAT EVER HE DID THE CRIME AND HE GOT WHAT THE LAWS SAYS HE GETS.HE LIED TO THE FEDS AND TRY TO SAY HE DIDN’T AND GOT CAUGHT JUST ASK YOUR SELF WHAT HE SAY GIVE YOU PROBATION IF YOU DID THE SAME CRIME, BE HONEST WITH YOUR SELF. ALL HIS FRIENDS CAN SAY IS RON TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF AND BE SAFE AND ALL YOUR FRIENDS WILL SEE YOU WHEN YOU GET OUT.

• F.Hewett, says:

First, Are you even from Brunswick Co, or just another out-sider. And If you are, how long have you live in the Co? Or have you every met Roanld? I guess what I’d really like to answer you is “have” you every ask Ronald Hewett for favor, or just be jailed by him? If not many, many people have, and all he as tried to do was the best he could!!

Cousin or not, I’ve known him sense we were kids. And I “do” know the he is a “great” person, a good man and “was” the Best Sheriff we every had in the Co.

Yes, I’m Frank Hewett, and I’ll always stand with Ronald Hewett and his family. So, Do you have the “Ball” to list you name? Or maybe you’re just “God”!

FRANK HEWETT

• degod says:

Degod
    Let me be the first to tell you that God does not judge, why you may ask… Because God does not exist. We (human people) have to take matters into our own hands, if not then you will be walked on. I can’t stand it when people try and let God be the judge or god will handle that person in the after world. When you die you die, no after world. I feel sorry for you people who because you couldn’t make the real world work out for you have to make up another world.

• fisherswife says:

Did you know that in most cases the human brain can read and decipher words if the vowels are in the correct positions, regardless of what position the other letters hold. Most of the people that post here really just would like their opinions to be heard and are not looking to be deminished and degraded by some English professor wannabes. The worst part of it is that most of you that have commented on others posts concerning there spelling or word use have had some typographical or grammatical errors in your corrections. Get a life. If you are going to further post, please stay on topic. Adn htast all I vahe to yas atoub htat.

I did not live in Leland, but I will say this My Hat Off To You Hewitt. You cleaned up Leland!!! I am from Wilmington and Leland was a place you would not go if you did not live there. You made alot of changes for the good. Everyone makes mistakes. But for the most you were Productive. They should have been glad to clean up or do anything becuase you cant catch anyone sitting at home, sleeping with everybodies wife and eating. So you may as well have went to work. I hope that you come out and run again…

“I feel sorry for you people who because you couldn’t make the real world work out for you have to make up another world.”………So how is your godlessness working out for you?

• Guest bc says:

Why not, Rex Gore has a job!

• Guest bc says:

that right gore has not been convicted yet…but the day is still young..it’s coming.

• Your Kidding Right says:

Frank,
    The reason that he did not put his real name is that he was smart enough not to trust a hewett, regardless of the first name, the last name says it all.

Ronald is a low down criminal. The people trust him and he turned his back on them.

May God help him and may BUBBA love him

What boring reading. The Sheriff messed up and was charged accordingly. And now we bring God and bad grammar into the picture. What in the world is Brunswick County comming to. Lets all attempt to get along and try to make this place better. Do you part and help clean up a community or help someone in need. Maby volunteer your services with the Sheriffs office. Find something better to do than post your opinions of Ronald Hewett and checking grammar. We all have gotten the point.

• justwondering says:

First of all if you knew Ronald E. Hewett you would also know that no one calls him “RON” that knows him. His name is Ronald. Maybe he did curse at employees but that is not a drop in the bucket to what has happened this week. Just wait, you will feel like a fool about what you have posted about the brave back stabbers!! I will be looking forward to your post next week “Buddy”.

• Justice says:

Not sure what “Is this God I talking to” even means Frank. Let me make this real simple and clear for you Frank…I was born in Brunswick, raised in Brunswick. I worked for Ronnie,I worked there pre-Ronnie, and still work there to this day. Just ask yourself something really simple, if he was the best sheriff ever, why is he on his way to a jail cell??? Why is the best sheriff ever still not sitting behind his desk? Why did his staff and so called friends have him removed? I guess it is all some CIA plot to take Ronnie down right? Maybe it’s the same CIA agents that had Kennedy killed. I am pretty sure I am not God but if that is what you prefer to call me by, please feel free to do so. You can answer to the big man for it later on down the line. As far as having the “Ball” as you put it, to give you my name, if you will remind me tomorrow I will pretend to give a damn about what you want. So you can stand with whom every you wish, however there will be bars seperating the two of you. But good luck with that.

• justwondering says:

What a joke? You said a mouthful then. Most especially with what happened Saturday night at the “Sheriff’s office” Once it all hits the news lets see then how great everything is being run now and what you have to say. Less of a dictatorship???? I don’t think so!

• sam222 says:

You say you know Ronald? If you did you would not call him “RON” that is a common fact that people who do “know” him knows!

good one. lol

• Gene says:

To stay with the facts you should recant your statement, “The jury is through and this is how it is.” There was no jury! This was a plea bargain.

I only take the same time as those that are “whining” about what a great man he was. No more, no less. It seems that you feel no one has the right to dispute the side of the argument you take. With that I simply say to you, get over it!

• Gene says:

A god is an idol, the one and only God is everything. While you were in prison and while you were getting all that help, seems you would have learned how to write down His name.

In the federal courts, people go to jail for years, on just conspiracy charges. Ron, got a cushy deal! No, not that any time in prison is cushy, but boy did he get out easy!

Frankly, I am sick to death to hear about how he did this and he did that. The proof is, he committed multiple felonies and even though he got off with a very lenient sentence he still was convicted and sent to jail. He is not, “a good man”. He was not, “a good sheriff”. He was a criminal and now he is going to jail!

For the rest of his life he will wear the yoke of his own making. A convicted felon! He, and any other LEO that puts themselves above the law are a disgrace to the profession. And that is what he is! A disgraced, deposed and corrupt officer of the law. No longer can he legitimately be called sheriff. He does not deserve the honor that he threw away. And those great and brave men and women that wear the badge with dignity an honor can breath a small sigh of relief as their ranks have been cleared of a cancer. That is what a law breaking sworn officer is. A cancer that eats away at the clean flesh of the decent.

God only knows why he did this, and God only knows why he got out so easy. But, it had nothing to do with any one god, or gods!

God be with the decent officers of the law, everywhere. And God be with the citizens that believe and need them. And thank you, God, for your intervention by stopping this criminal from ever wearing a badge again!

Not sure what your point is but you need to use spell check when you post.

• stonewall says:

Don’t you have anything to do but rehash for this forum your views on the lifelong reprecussions of a felony conviction and how Ronald has fallen from your everlasting grace. For someone who has constantly stated the facts, you’re whining now that it isn’t enough is tiresome. Get over it. Let me state the facts for you. The jury is through and this is how it is. I personally wish he didn’t have to serve a day but I can accept this. You should try to also.

• stonewall says:

You sound like a present or ex law officer, maybe an SBI agent because you’re way too smart to be one of BC’s finest. They’re not as smart or dedicated or brave as you make out. You also have stayed on this board quite a bit. I’d say you’re retired or semi-retired or you have a cushy job with too much time to meddle.

• Justice says:

Well put Gene. I am sorry to see anyone have to go through what he is going through. But he brought it on himself. He deserves every day he gets in prison. I prayed that he would be brought to justice, and now I pray that he has the strength to deal with the time he has recieved. I wish no harm to the man, but he must pay his dues. If he were still Sheriff he would want no less of a covicted felon.

• Ephesians 2: 8-9 says:

It happens to be Christian……not HYPOCRITE. A true believer in God is kind, compassionate, gentle and does not judge, he forgives all wrong doings and prays for those who have’nt been blessed by the “Grace of God”.

For we are all miserable sinners and have fallen short of the glory of God…….wether we lie, cheat,
    steal or kill.

My prayers will be with the Hewitt family but many more prayers will be said for those who are so bitter, unforgiving and judgemental. God bless and forgive us all!

• Elaine says:

You are right. No one should hurt one of God’s children, yet that is what your Mr. Hewett did, along with other of Brunswick County’s finest, when he personally obstructed my sister’s murder investigation on Bald Head Island and its cover-up. He treated my family like dirt under his feet. Go ahead and pray for him. He needs it. We have been praying for the ten years since she has been dead and branded a suicide by Hewett and Mr. Rex Gore. So far, some of our prayers just got answered. Hopefully, more will be. Davina was God’s child first, not anyone else’s to murder and dump at a trash pile. See any Christianity in that? I don’t.

• Justice says:

I am not saying the crime scene was not mishandled. I agree it was. Unfortunately you have been asking the wrong people for the information you seek. I don’t believe Ronald can help you with what your looking for. Trust me when I tell you, Ronald is to inept to cover up a homicide. I was there that night, I was at the scene. Long before Ronald ever arrived. From the word go that scene was handled wrong. Kieth Cain was a rookie at the time. I am sure he did his very best. However he lacked the experience at this stage in his carrer to correctly handle a homicide scene. I don’t have all the pieces to the puzzle that your missing. However, for whatever reason, your missing a huge portion of the story.

• Elaine says:

Please do enlighten me. I am using the police logs, police crime scene materials and pictures, police interviews, interrogations and depositions as a basis for what I say. Am I to assume from your comments that they were done incorrectly as well as the rest of what they did? Hewett was not the only one involved, there were about five into the major cover-up and at least three in planning the murder, five in carrying it out. While I do not wish to sound snippy, I must ask why, if you are so sure about what you say, why haven’t you come forward with what you believe? Why have others told me that they can’t talk about what they know yet because they will get fired, lose their benefits, retirement, etc. if it was a suicide and no cover-up? My sister’s death, an officer in this county, does not matter enough to stand up and tell the truth? You cannot have the book about her death on the campus of BCSD or on BHI if you work there or you will be fired. Maybe the Mitchells know more than anyone has ever asked them about who gave orders to do what and when? They would certainly be in a position to tell Hewett what to do, wouldn’t they?

• Gene says:

The first thought that crosses my mind when I read one of these “what a wonderful man Ron is” statements is how he turned his back on a fallen officer. Although Davina’s Chief at the time was out or work with illness she was compelled to come to the scene that had been destroyed of any and all evidence to the crime by Ron’s Boys. She along with the state have accepted the fact and believe the fact that it was not suicide. But Ron and Rex, those two continue in denial because their ego’s are far beyond control. The rumor is and I repeat the word rumor, Ron is now singing like a canary. That cooperation may have had something to do with his sentence. Presently, there is no way know if any of that is true or not. But, if it is, Gore may be facing some music of his own.

Elaine, I have never met you but I do see your Mom and Dad out and about now and then. I see the pain and suffering they carry every day. I recognize the destruction of evidence on BHI has most likely made it impossible for the murderer(s) to ever come to justice. Thanks to Hewett and Gore you and your family may never be able to have the closure you deserve. I am so sorry for you and your family.

To all those blind Hewett supporters I have to say, your idol, Ron Hewett was the kind of sheriff that turned his back on a fallen officer,laying in the mud and rain, murdered!
    Great guy? I think not! For you people that did not live here at the time of this crime you may wonder, why the rush to clean up the crime scene? Well one reason was a wedding was planned at the spot several hours later and therefore it needed to be cleaned up! That is known. But also highly suspected is the evidence, pull and money of drugs coming into BHI needed to be destroyed to protect someone involved in the drug trade. Will we ever know the truth here? No, again, any and all chance of that was destroyed by the Sheriff and supported by the D.A.

BTW Elaine, Mr and Mrs Jones, great book, a real eye opener! The Hewett fans will just have to excuse me (I don’t really think so) for putting my sympathy with real victims like the murdered officer Jones and her family and not really give a hoot about the criminal Hewett and his accomplice(s).

• Justice says:

Again let me restate my position, I have no doubt that the scene of the crime was contaminated from the get go. There is also no doubt in my mind that there was a rush to judgement. Perhaps by me also. As far as me telling the truth, I can assure you I did. However there was never a follow up on my orginal report. Nor have I ever been asked since about it. There are two rather large points missing in everything I have read about that night. Two points that more than one officer was privy to. I am unable to say for certain if Officer Jones was killed or took her own life that night. What I can say for sure is that there are several things you seem to be unaware of, by the same token you may have more information at this point than I do.

• Du says:

The word is sentence.

• goat says:

Hey brightstar, SENTANCE, is actually SENTENCE. Talk about proofreading.

• vlewis says:

Let those without sin cast the first stone. It is better for a mill stone to be hung around your neck than to hurt or abuse one of GOD’s children.We ALL make mistakes and we all SIN, but isn’t GOD good? HE forgives everyone if you just ask HIM. I ask Jesus to forgive each of you that have forgotten all the good things that Ronald Hewett and his family have done for our county, community and our country.May he rest in peace. You have crucified Ronald and his family but may HE forgive you as well as Ronald for anything he might have done wrong.
    It is a SAD day for Brunswick County. 10/06/2008

• Guestwt says:

why cant we all just get along??

• Justice says:

Gene I agree with 95% of your comments. However you are misinformed when it comes to the Davina Jones case. The body of Davina Jones was moved by BHI EMS workers prior to a single deputy arriving on the Island. Thus destroying the crime scene. She was not laying in mud nor was it raining that night. I have no doubt Ronald Hewett was one of the biggest crooks in the history of that Dept. However I do not believe there was any cover up in this case. The body of Davina Jones was laying in a boat house by the time the first deputy arrived on scene. Upon arrival the scene was taped off and a search began of the Island and all traffic was cut off to the Island. No boats were allowed in or off the Island. I am not going to tell you it was handled without any mistakes. But I will tell you it was handled in good faith, and the original assumtion was murder. I hope that one day the family finds peace, however I don’t think they will find it with Ronald Hewett.

What good what that be, bringing drugs into our county instead of keeping them out, or perhaps using the system for his own personal gain, instead of doing what he was hired to do? Yes, we all do make mistakes, but we are are not being paid what he was to do a job that he didn’t do. I think he owes Brunswick County all the money that was paid to him AND he should lose his retirement.

• Gene says:

Thank you for the correction on where I was misinformed and thank you for setting that record straight.

I think you and I agree that the body should not have been moved and the scene was ruined before a proper investigation could be made. Also, I still stand by Hewett and Gore mishandling this crime.

As much as I hate it I believe any chance of an arrest and conviction, and any chance for the Jones family to have full closure has long past. God be with them.

• Elaine says:

No, there was no mud and it had not been raining the night Davina Buff Jones was killed. Her body was picked up and moved when two EMS were instructed to do so by Kent Brown who was the fire chief at the time and back-up for the patrol on duty – Dee and her partner Keith Cain. Her body lay on the deck for a while and then was placed in the little office at the ferry landing once police arrived from the mainland. One EMT said he wrapped the body yet others plainly saw her uncovered as it lay on the dock. I can’t tell you how it got uncovered, maybe the wind that night. The crime scene was washed down prematurely by the same Kent Brown before noon on Saturday after the death on Friday night even though then police chief Grasty had given orders for it not to be touched while she was away on the mainland at a press conference. The crime scene also was mishandled by things being changed and washed away as crime scene photographs were taken. I have the pictures to prove it. Articles of her clothing were also moved. I can prove that. Search teams of dogs were brought to the island, but Sheriff Hewett would not let them be brought off of the boat. One of the county’s police chiefs was the one who made that statement. We have continually had trouble both in court hearings and here trying to find out what really happened. We cannot even get her shield. We were opposed twice in court by the state government, something even the state and federal officers commented on and couldn’t understand. Both Hewett and Gore have continued to stonewall about the case. There were officers who did try to do what they were supposed to do on the island that night. But there were others in place that stopped it all. One day this will all come out even further than the book has brought it. That I promise.

• Elaine says:

BTW, once her body was in the office, there was a parade of people from the island, having nothing to do with the investigation, who were allowed to go in and gape at Davina, my sister whom somebody killed, as she lay there bloodied and defenseless on a gurney. Talk about preserving a crime scene? Then the same one that examines her head wound does the gsr test on her hands expecting not to compromise the test? And, by the way, her test was the same as her partner’s and the three men in the boat. If she fired a gun that night, they all must have as well. And where were her fingerprints? They were not on her gun? No cover up? Please!

• A GUEST says:

TO ALL WHO HOLD “INMATE RON HEWETT” TO A HIGH STANDERED ASK YOUR SELF IF IT WAS YOU WOULD HE SUPPORT YOU I BET HE WOULD’T HE IS NO BETTER THEN THE PEOPLE IN PUT IN PRISION. I HOPE TO SEE YOU WHEN YOU WALK THE YARD AND GIVE YOU A PIECE OF MY MIND. DONT FORGET BRUNSWICK CO. THAT IS FED TIME THE STATE HAS NOT GOT HIM YET AND I HOPE THE STATE GIVES HIS WHAT HE DESERVES I BET HE WOULD WANT FOR ANY OF YOU TO GET THE MAX YOU CAN GET.

• Pleasehelptheyouth says:

Please, when posting, proof read your writing. What I tried to read made little to no sense, and it was ONE long sentance.

On the other hand, I agree with your subject line. Mr. Hewett did not get enough time. He should be held to a higher standard. This man was ELECTED to uphold the law. What he did was embarrass himself and the entire county. He should be ashamed.

A slap on the wrist, what a shame.

this is bull wow only 16 months my god if it was anyone else they would get the max he deserves more

• kool2handle says:

look ive been in trouble before. not any fun. spent 17 mounts on a cyo charge. not much fun. and has screwed up my whole life. but now with the help of god im doing something right. saveing lives. as for ronald time is going to stand still.16 mounths will seem like 16 years, prison is no day camp.i feel sorry for him. I dont think he should have been sent to prison. just probation,comunaty service,fine
    that would have been good enough.they are not changing nothen by locking him up. if any of you are with out sin cast the first stone.
    i garen tee most of you have skelitons in their closet. shame on you all.yes he did some bad things, but i garen tee his good out weighed his bad. well any way mabe it will do him some good. i heard he had a drinking problem. so mabe this will get him off the booze. and he can get right with the lord. and come back a new man. PS Ron i forgive you. good luck. time will heal all wonds.except when it comes to me. people still bring up my past. and all i do is good.

• Me says:

For those of you that agree Ronald Hewett “got what he deserved”, you are forgetting that we are all human and make mistakes. Of course, he should be held to a higher standard considering the government position he was elected to serve, but being quite honest, being from Brunswick County, I know of very few “honest and by the book” elected officials. And just because they haven’t been thrown into the same spotlight as Ronald, doesn’t by any means, make them any better to server our county. Yes, I am shocked in regards to the length of Ronald Hewett’s sentence. But I have always and will continue to feel this former sheriff, deputy and dare officer is a good man that unfortunately got caught up in power.

• TonyM says:

As a lifetime resident of Brunswick County, I was shocked at what a slap on the wrist they gave ol’ Ronald. Anybody else would have been up the creek without a paddle, but I guess th’ high sheriff was up to his usual tricks, a-schemin’ and a-swindlin’ all the justice he could get his hands on. They should have locked him up and threw away the key.

• kevin says:

Ron gets 16 months. Those who were paid to teach people to speak and write in proper english should get life. They ripped off thousands of people there.

I suppose you mean the teachers of Brunswick County? Funny, I guess Ronald and his momma would be in jail together. I actually do feel bad for Ms. Pauline.

Ronald is a great man that got caught up in unnecessary drama, but thats brunswick county. I love the hewett family, and they are great people who would do anything they could for you. They have went above and beyond many times for my family, I wish the best for Ronald, and think the sentencing is ridiculous. My thoughts and prayers are for him, and his wife & children..

You said it the best this is nothing but Brunswick County Drama at it’s best !! What he did was wrong but I am sure he wasn’t the only one in that office that is corrupt. This is over now move on and find some new DRAMA to start talking about. I wish more people would care about Brunswick County Schools.

• sam222 says:

I would like for you to know Ms. Pauline taught english to me many years ago and I am pretty sure I can read and write as well as the next person maybe even better.