28 Comments for this article

Tags: , ,

A 15-year-old West Bladen High School student drowned Sunday afternoon, and on Monday, friends and family mourned his passing. Ken Hammond was overcome with emotion, struggling to accept the death of his 15-year-old son Cody. Friends said Cody and three other boys went for a swim in a reservoir next to Big Swamp Sunday afternoon. They were attempting to swim from an island in the middle, back to shore. But Cody Hammond didn't make it. “The loss hurts bad. I worry a whole lot about his dad, Ken. He's very close to me,” said Steve Thurman, Cody’s coach and teacher. Cody was a sophomore on the varsity baseball team at West Bladen. Friends and family said playing baseball was what Cody lived for. “He was the kind of person that just had a vision and once he locked onto it that was it; and baseball was it for him,” said family friend Russell Benson. “Win or lose, we always had a good time, we always had each other’s backs, on and off the ball field,” said Cody’s teammate Zachary Davenport. It took four water rescue teams about four hours to find Cody’s body. At his school, the flags flew at half-staff Monday. Classmates say he was an overall good guy. “He was the kind of kid that everyone knew. He was real real nice, always happy, always had a joke to tell you never really see him upset or anything,” said classmate Nicole Thompson. Friends said Cody knew how to swim, and had a pool in his backyard, but the distance the boys were swimming on Sunday seemed to pose a problem. Friends said another one of the boys needed help making it to shore, and when they turned back to look for Cody, he was under water.

Comment on this Story

28 Comments on "Friends and family mourn drowning death of Cody Hammond"

Kaitlyn
2015 years 8 months ago

Cody I miss you already. I’m always gonna think of you. I haven’t wore my face in 3 days just 4 u. and i cant believe im never gonna hear u say that again. Hope to see again one day. I LOVE && MISS U!!!! My heart is breaking rite now.

quest12345
2015 years 8 months ago

cody ima miss you it aint the same anymore and we had so much fun in class but youll always be in my heart everyday when i was feelin sad you always made me laugh you the bestest friend anyone can have and the people that said the negative comments thats disrespectful and you shuldnt have done it
i love you cody and will see you again somedday

A girl
2015 years 8 months ago

Cody always had a smile on his face and always knew what to say to make you feel better. I can’t comprehend why he didn’t make it back to the island. He swam all the time at White Lake with me. Its UNBELIEVABLE. I love him to death and all the people that have negative things to say NEED TO SHUT UP. Nobody asked for this to happen, it was nobodies fault. So leave that alone. God wanted him in Heaven with him. May God rest his soul.

MBS

You are all in my prayers
2015 years 8 months ago

The angels are always near to those who are grieving, to whisper to them that their loved ones are safe in the hand of God.

SLJ
2015 years 8 months ago

cody was not only a good friend or brave person. He was a great baseball player. I will miss you and so will everybody at BMS and WBHS.
I will be praying for the family and friends of Kendrick Dakota Hammond…i love you