Bill to legalize marijuana front and center in Raleigh

Tags: , ,

Submitted: Thu, 06/18/2009 - 3:42pm
Updated: Mon, 04/25/2011 - 8:50pm

The debate over legalizing medical marijuana is not a new one, but it is going to be front and center in Raleigh Thursday. The House Health Committee will hold a public hearing on a bill that’s been introduced to legalize marijuana for medical purposes. One Oak Island man is in full support of House Bill 1380, based on his own first-hand experience. "It’s time we come out of the dark ages and look at marijuana as it is, a medicine, and not a hard core drug," said David Warren. David Warren is pushing for pot to be legalized in North Carolina, as an option for people suffering from debilitating medical conditions. It is already legal in 13 states. "Marijuana is not addictive. It’s a drug that causes little side effects. I think people should have a choice in medicine," Warren said. Warren is in full support of House Bill 1380, which would protect seriously ill patients from getting arrested and going to jail for smoking marijuana if recommended by a doctor. Warren said, "Those who are sick don’t belong in jail. They need to be treated with care, love, and respect." Warren uses his own experience to back up his case. He was arrested in 2005 for growing marijuana to smoke while being treated for Hepatitis C. He said he also suffers from post traumatic stress disorder and a seizure disorder. "I looked at the data, I looked at the studies, and I decided that rather than take narcotics, I would rather have something non-addictive." Warren said the law would tax those who grow marijuana for themselves or others, bringing those tax dollars into the Tar Heel state. He is happy to see the issue reach Raleigh, and said there is plenty of room for an open and fair debate. "I believe that God made the marijuana. I’ve never seen an Oxycodone bush," said Warren. The House Health Committee’s public hearing is at noon Thursday in Raleigh.

• daughter of a cancer victim says:

If you dont think there are benefits to a cancer patient using this drug to help then you have never seen your dying mother suffer in pain in front of your eyes. It helped my mother and I have seen many chemo patients who cant go through it without it.

Its funny how until it happens to you, you feel it doesnt concern you or you can make judgement.

I say get rid of alcohol and legalize pot and this country would be out of debt within a month and the restrants would be booming with busness everyone would be happy!

…writing incomprehensible sentences with pitiful spelling and punctuation.

Look DOPE…someone still has to run this country! We can’t all be running around smiley, pie-eyed and chunking down the chips.

• B420 says:

AT LEAST WE CAN SLEEP KNOWING WE DIDNT KILL SOMEONE WHILE SOME DRUNK KILLS A HOLE FAMILY AND THEY ARE IN JAIL SLEEPING IT OFF GETTING FREE MEALS AND A BED TO SLEEP ON ALCOHOL KILLS ITS KILLING ARE YOUNG AND OLD POT NEVER KILLED NOBODY THERE ARE NO CLAIMS ON A POT HEAD KILLING A HOLE FAMILY WHILE DRIVING HIGH NO POT HEAD IS GOING TO STILL FROM SOMEONE TO GET A BAG OF WEED GETTING DRUNK JUST FUELS FIGHTS MAKES PEOPLE IRRESPONSIBLE AND DUMB

• 26655999 says:

I have one question, how many times have you walked in to a rite aid or any store like that in your life for medicine? you probably called it a “drug store” right? well what makes it right for those to be legal when they have worse side effects then marijuana

• legalize it!! says:

Why is everyone making such a big deal about “weed”? It is not bad i have had friends that have done it and they were just fine after the fact!!! But my question is why is everyone just trying to make it legal with a lisence? Why not make it just legal? north carolina could be the new amsterdam! Im a student and i think that people blow it out of proportion when they accuse teenagers of using marijuana then getting in a car and driving! I have seen some people that can get in a car and be “blazed” out of their minds and drive better than i do! I think that “mary-jane” “pot” “weed” whatever the hell you want to call it should be legalized and not just medically legalized but just legalized PERIOD!!!! I also think that all of these rich high class people that look down on people because they want “weed” legalized should reconsider the facts and understand that the facts are correct! Also people dont get out here and smoke a “joint” and get behind the wheel of a car and kill some damn body! If everyone is blowing “weed” out of proportion then why the hell is alcohol legal?? I mean damn there are drunk drivers that kill themselves or other people! Have you ever heard about “pot heads” killing people because they are “high”?

thanks for taking the time to read my opinion!

• 420PotSmoke.Ba says:

Some people prefer non-addictive methods of relaxation and stress relief. While you try to claim ‘everyone else’ drinks, you are grossly uninformed, ignorant, and think with a generational ideology that is quickly dying. Lots of people drink for social purposes; going out and having a few drinks is a great way to spend the evening. However, often times, these same people find a strong dependancy to this substance, which only ever results in problems.
    Alcohol kills people. Thousands a year. Drinking and driving can affect innocent people, and it is a far cry from the victimless crime of enjoying marijuana. I can safely say that it’s not too often you see people go home, get stoned, and then beat their wife.
    This argument could continue on forever; the examples are endless. However, one thing remains true. There are two different types of people- Those that smoke or have smoked (enough), and those that have not. I find great success in my everyday life, and I smoke pot throughout my day. The majority of the people that I encounter, including those aware enough to notice, don’t think twice about it. I go to college, so I get away with it, but I confront teachers, class groups, and have done presentations, all ‘high’. Again, I can’t emphasize my success enough- every semester on the Dean’s List at one of our state universities. I find myself actually somewhat discouraged sometimes when I excel high, in an environment of mostly ‘sober’ peers. If I can be under the influence of marijuana, and do better than some ‘unhigh’ people, what does that say? I think that it says a lot, including the simple fact that a pot smoker is A) not dumb or otherwise incapable of making general, life decisions, B) and amazed at how outrageous it is that people like the person who commented above, are so out of touch that they don’t know a pothead when they are staring them in the face. Finally, the part where you say, “get drunk like everyone else, you dont need anymore bad habits,” you are assuming that people that smoke pot already drink. What you should know that there are successful, intelligent people that prefer the introspective, thought-provoking effect of smoking pot over the loss of control, slurred words, and miserable hangovers offered by the literal poison, that is alcohol. Alcohol, along with your dated, and narrow-minded perspective, will slowly lose precedence to marijuana as we grow into a more informed, connected, and progressive era of human change.

• themanager says:

you my friend…are ignorant

• Rickey says:

In my opinion North Carolina should legalize the use of Marijuana. If not fully then at least for medicinal purposes. People need to realize that it is not just going to hop up and go away. We need to stop wasting precious tax dollars on fighting something thats not going to go away. It has been shown through research that marijuana is not addictive and has medicinal benefits. So why not tax it and get a piece of it. Obviously marijuana has been here for ages and there has yet to be any reports of anyone dieing strictly from using marijuana. Although you hear more and more each day of people dieing from cigarettes or alcohol. People need to wake up and realize that there is a huge market for this. And with a market what do you get? Jobs=more money for the economy=more tax dollars=being able to put money into places where we need it such as schools, police force, fire department, etc. The list goes on and on with benefits that come along with marijuana. All I’m saying is that there are a lot of things our state/country needs to focus on rather than focusing on making sure there is no more “pot” in our cities. I just hope that our representatives realize that the pros outweigh the cons and legalize this simple plant so we can help get our nation back on track.

Thank you for taking the time to read my opinion.

• Mr J.. says:

dude that s**t is so true alcohol i hate im prescribed marinol but can not afford it so i smoke it… i have bipolar and it works wonders for that i also have ADD ADHD and when I am using what you call pot I can pay attention 100% better i can get along wtih people much better without mood swings and thats like 3 medicines in 1 it is great they should just legalize it

• Guest420000000001 says:

Smoked marijuana for 10+ years and still managed a 3.6 in Computer Science at University. I no longer smoke, but I definitely support legalizing it for medical purposes. From my own testing, I have found it most certainly didn’t make me any less intelligent and was never addictive. I quit cold turkey easily. We need to come together and stop regulating what people should be allowed to do to their own bodies. If they want to smoke, why stop them? We allow alcohol consumption on mass scales and it has been proven to be far worse than cannabis could ever be.

So wake up residents of NC and help this bill get passed so we can make some tax dollars to help fund State Infrastructure and Education projects.

signed
    Just a man wanting the freedom of choice.

• CLP says:

my theory is that it should be legalized!! i think that it is up to the person to decide if it will help them with their problems. not every person suffers the same symptoms, and what is good for one person may not be the right solution for another. doctors are now realizing the benefits of marijuana!! our government says it is ok for someone with AIDS to have this outlet to make them more comfortable. i agree that people with AIDS should be comfortable. but, it is very bias of our government to think that other diseases should not be “comforted”, that is just wrong. there are many other diseases that there is no cure for, it is just not fair that those people can not be comfortable as well. we all need to take another look at this issue!! IF IT WAS YOU OR A MEMBER OF YOUR FAMILY OR EVEN A CLOSE FRIEND–YOU WOULD FEEL COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!!! i wish for one moment in EVERY person’s life they should have to take a look at what their lives would be living in chronic pain 24/7!!! we need to stand up for what’s right and make the government change their outlook!!!! they will never change if we the people do not make them realize they are WRONG!!!! anyone that does not have to deal with pain/sickness themselves or have a person close to them going through it, do not think that the pain is UNBEARABLE!!! LET’S MAKE A CHANGE NOW!!!!

• seeing is believing says:

Well there are these things called vaporizers that do not cause emissions of CO2. Nor does it release tar or anything other than THC. And I seen a very good friend of mine dieing from his second fight with prostate cancer and all of the anti nausea drugs they gave him did not work. He was an old timer and believed that the govt knew best and was very reluctant to use marijuana. But he finally gave into friends and family that said just try it. Well he did and he actually started gaining weight!! He started eating again. And even curbed the pain. The cancer had moved into his bones and he did eventually loose his fight. And by that I do mean fight!! This man was a fighter though and through. He was a marine in the Chosen reservoir. THE CHOSEN FEW!! Look it up!! Among his last words to me was this. He said to stand up for medicinal marijuana. (“To tell people it will help them when nothing else will. Tell them that the govt will lie. That they can make more money through war, rather than legalisation. And that our govt really doesn’t give a rats ass about us!!!”) His last words!! Oh yeah he also had a purple heart and two life saving medals!!
    So you can copy and paste all the bureaucratic hypocritical propaganda you want to put up. But I know the real truth that I seen with my own two eyes. Not read on some page in a book!!!

• BL says:

NO,we don’t need another way to get high.Their is medicine on the market to help those in need. But North Carolina with these Democrates will legalize anything for TAX DOLLARS, SO THEY CAN SPEND ON THEIR PET PROJECTS.It isn’t going to help us in any way you look at it.Wake up America, we are about to loose it!! BL

If you legalize pot, then everyone with a little ache or pain will be trying to get a prescription so they can get stoned.

Pot is addictive. I know a woman who keeps joints rolled and in a cigarette case on her coffee table and stays stoned all of the time. Another woman I used to work with couldn’t get to work in the morning without a joint.

The difference between meeting a drunk or a stoner coming the wrong way on the highway is that the stoner will laugh at you and eat a bag of chips while you lay bleeding, waiting on the ambulance.

do you think before you talk….

Go back to sleep ya dam pot heads………just keep sneaking around smokin yer weed, it will never pass, not in your lifetime. Just get drunk like everyone else, you dont need anymore bad habits.

• patience says:

What a silly comment…. you sound like a liberal.

do you even REALIZE the amount of tax dollars WASTED on a drug war that will NEVER be won? I mean…SERIOUSLY you are going to throw someone in jail for having a joint on them…yet allow people to still get drunk and smoke their lungs to pudding…LEGALIZE it and stop wasting tax dollars trying to stop it. Marijuana REALLY isn’t that big of a deal..I know people from ALL walks of life that do it from DOCTORS AND LAWYERS to teachers…HECK we had a president that did it. ALL OF THIS coming from someone who hasn’t even smoked pot!

• Drew says:

Are you kidding??? If the same regulations are in place that are for other Pain Killers then Medical Marijuana can be contolled the same as any other prescription. It should be a decision between a patient and a Doctor, the Government should not Disallow it because there are man made products out there. The chance of addiction and Overdose from pain killers is a lot higher than for Marijuana.
    You work with a woman that can’t get to work without a Joint. I can’t get to work without my Perscribed Pain killers, how is that different? At least she is making it to work!
    Now the difference between a stoner and a drunk is the Stoner still has thier inhibitions where a Drunk feels invinsible… As a recovering Drunk I know this! I have been completely off my pain killers for 2 months now just from one half a Marijuana brownie in the morning and 2 hits from a joint at night. A lot better than 10mg of Vicodin 4 times a day, right?

• jabow says:

0 deaths from marijuana 400,000 from smoking deaths a year whats more dangerous and its a fact that weed is not harmful where did you hear that weed is dangerous

• Southerncop says:

I’m a cop and I support the legalization ad taxation of marijuana. I do not, nor have I ever smoked it, but in my years of law enforcement, I have been to many overdose calls, and not one of them had overdosed on marijuana. I have had to fight many drunks, but I have never had to fight a pothead. I’ve been to many DWI wrecks, but none of them were due to marijuana use. I would rather have people smoke pot and get high than drink alcohol and get drunk.

– Not addictive
    – Can’t overdose on it
    – Alcohol, which is far worse, is legal and taxed.

• NRG024 says:

First of all this guy is nuts. Mary Jane has had many years and years of testing through government means, and military means, they both have deemed it non addicting, and basically harmless. For medical reasons it has been proven over and over again to help with many many diffrent ailments from cancer, to katarax, glacoma to hernia, bi-polar to epilepsy. The government and military did YEARS of tests and trials on people, and now the government grows it, well it can’t be that bad! Not to mention all the jails with people in there for petty marijuina charges, costing us millions of tax dollars for them being in there. This is just the start, they can market it just like cigarettes, tax it just like beer, and I still believe the death rate on the highways will still decrease, b/c some people will choose that over beer, and Not wreck their car. It was once leagal and some day it will be again. It is too popular for them to ignore, an untapped resource. A CASH CROP!!! As for marketing it someone said “it’s too easy to grow so they can’t regulate it.” Somewhat true. Almost antone with a green thumb can grow it with knowledge, but the gov. has been doing it for years in Seattle and they know how to make the good kind! so on that note, would you rather have some leafy homegrown, or some government greatness??? The choice is yours! VOTE YES!!!!
    NRG

• sprinkle says:

okay so you said that no one has died from it, but statistically people have died while high from it so i say they died from it

• pbAdam777 says:

are you serious? this isnt a way to get people high. this is a way to keep seriously sick people from getting prosecuted. They dont want to be on drugs that can possible cause more harm to an already sick body. They want a natural substance that has absolutely no bad side effects. Grow up and realize that our government has been lying to us for 72 years.

• guest442200 says:

Just a question. I have kidney disease and I am not allowed to drink, what would you suggest that I do? I feel that the legalization of marijuana would not only benefit the people who need it for medicinal purposes, but the state of North Carolina it’s self.

• ncsu2013 says:

ok i completely agree with the potential gateway drug theory you have because i have seen friends TRY different drugs but only try. they were to attracted to the mellow feeling that pot gave them. and with the cocaine thing….. it is total bull crap. yes it COMES from the coco plant it isn’t the actual plant. did you know that DMT comes from all living organisms and is massively produced when you sleep. this is what makes you dream, however when smoked in its powder form it is an intense high that makes you feel one with the earth and complete ego loss. this goes to show you that just because something comes from a plant doesn’t make it right, but weed is the plant it isn’t man altered or extract or concentrate it is picked and dried simple as that. so if you have a problem with smoking it than go down a fifth of alcohol and see how fast u get alcohol poisoning. the count of americans who die from alcohol every year is 25,000…. EVERY YEAR. the count for weed is 0… thats not even including drunk driving. so think what you want im pretty convinced that it should be legal.

• Lance says:

I suggest everyone watch The Union (movie/documentary). You cannot make an informed argument about this issue without knowing the truth from both sides. Do not rely on what you were indocrinated with as a child. If Marijuana is so evil, why did pharmecutical companies spend millions of dollars creating a sinthetic THC that costs roughly $900 for a months supply. The drug is called Marinol. Follow the money…

• theykillingme says:

For all it’s misunderstanding, one poster correctly stated that it was legal until 1937.

At that time, the only reason that it was singled out was as a means to remove the Mexicans who had immigrated into the southern border states.( I know this sounds racist, but it’s true the Governors wanted to purge “undesirables” from their states.)

“Illegal Drugs and how they got that way” program on the History channel.

Its a very interesting program that shows the hysteria around weed. It also shows how a bureaucrat with a lust for power used the print media of the Hearst Newspapers to terrorize readers into believing that weed was akin to the govt propaganda film “reefer madness”.

The tactics the government used was to require that you have a tax stamp if you were in possession of weed.

The only problem was that you had to have the weed before they would issue a tax stamp, which made you guilty of POSSESSION WITHOUT A TAX STAMP. Similar to the previous machine gun tax stamp.
    Only very few stamps were issued due to the government control of the programs.

Since then we’ve seen the war on drugs drag on and on with no end in sight. Otherwise law abiding people have gotten stains on their spotless records for simple possession of a pipe with only pot residue.

It’s time to wake up and have an honest debate about the pros and cons of the evil weed.

But, it should be done with facts, and not govt hype and hysteria.

• Inform yourself! says:

Inhaling any type of smoke has negative health effects. In other states that passed laws protecting medical users of cannabis, doctors employ patients to use other means of administation of the drug, either by ingestion or the use of a device that vaporizes the herb (releasing only the active cannabinoids, namely THC, as a harmless water vapor).

• Faolan says:

How can a patient with nausea keep down a pill?

Sure, smoke is full of carbon monoxide, so make an inhaler that sprays a controlled burst of the medicine and THAT would be safer than any pill or smoke.

The fact of the matter is, it’s more dangerous to take most of the pills on the pharmaceutical market than smoke a joint. And partaking in marijuana out of a vaporizer is 100% harmless.

• PW says:

Humans are creatures of habit, having a daily routine makes people feel safe and in control of their lives. So the woman who smokes everyday before work is simply stuck in a bad routine (going to work high is bad kids, don’t do it). Now let me ask you, while you smugly sip on your $5 cup of Starbucks coffee which by the way contains one of the most addictive substances in the world, caffine, how many reported traffic fatalities in the US included a driver who was only high on marijuana? If you said zero, then you were right. Now lets take that interesting statistic and compare it to drunk driving fatalities. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration there have been well over half a million drunk driving fatalities in America since 1982. Now lets think about alcohol prohibition, it lasted roughly 14 years during which the consumption rate of alcohol skyrocketed to record numbers and spawned The Mob in America. The War on Drugs has lasted some 30 years and has resulted in loss of trillions of potential tax dollars, created multi-national drug cartels which use excessive violence and force to move their products which causes a lot of collateral damage in the form of dead people, and stuffed our prisons to the breaking point with mostly non-violent drug users. So before you go making false assumptions about something, do your homework first. By the way, I am a 20 year old psychology major who has recently began using marijuana to relieve the stresses of college and have experienced fantastic results. I too fell victim to gov propaganda in the form of the DARE program, it was only after I researched marijuana myself that I discovered the truth and I encourage everyone to do the same.

• Guest says:

I thought you would already know that many successful buisness owners smoke pot, and of the politicians how has 14 states legalized it thus far. or do you really buy the politicions story of “I have never smoked pot but some one anonymusly placed a box on my door step for my wife who was suffering and we danced in the living room”; “pot gave me my wife back” google up millionaire pot heads or go burn one with a cancer patient

• surfcitybum says:

Otherwise, you are just spouting your opinion – and one not at all based on fact!

Of course, the rampant abuse/overuse of opiates is perfectly OK with you?

• Guest says:

for everyone who dosent know Marinol the legal pot pill is $900 for a one month supply and is not covered by any insurance to my knowledge…

• theyareoutthere says:

Fact is you support our FDA and pharmaceutical industry, so you point of view is a little bias. Every one on your bullet points can be torn a part with the so called evidence. First it should NOT be regulated as a medicine but rather tobacco or alcohol. Now is someone who is sick says there symptoms are better for what ever disease ummm like MS or some other “noncurable” but pharmaceutical managed disease. Which I personally know three and even Montel Williams say it helps with his MS. WHO are you to tell them otherwise. Guess who the major supporters of the MS society is, it is not people with MS, how about the pharmaceutical industry. Every one of your points is linked to the pharmaceutical industry, meaning profits lost if legalized. How about the cancer treatment with canabanoids? You forgot to list the new research from the Journals of Thoracic Surgey which they found LESS lung cancer in pot smokers then even the normal population. Now if we can patent a alkaloid extract and sell it to those in need for “medicinal use” then that is okay, Marinol.
    If smoking is your problem, then guess what the plant itself can be cooked or vaporized, so the smoking argument, just went up in smoke. If people decide to keep smoking even when there are big labels on your package of marijuana that says SMOKING WILL KILL YOU, then that is their choice! Please put down your glass of wine, and lets really look at this “drug” that we have to stop putting people in jail with, thanks for trying to understand.

• Informed says:

There is no consensus of medical evidence that smoking marijuana helps patients. Congress enacted laws against marijuana in 1970 based in part on its conclusion that marijuana has no scientifically proven medical value. The Food and Drug Administration is the federal agency responsible for approving drugs as safe and effective medicine based on valid scientific data. FDA has not approved smoked marijuana for any condition or disease. The FDA noted that “there is currently sound evidence that smoked marijuana is harmful,” and “that no sound scientific studies supported medical use of marijuana for treatment in the United States, and no animal or human data supported the safety or efficacy of marijuana for general medical use.”

In 2001, the Supreme Court affirmed Congress’s 1970 judgment about marijuana in United States v. Oakland Cannabis Buyers’ Cooperative et al., 532 U.S. 438 (2001), which held that, given the absence of medical usefulness, medical necessity is not a defense to marijuana prosecution. Furthermore, in Gonzales v. Raich, 125 S.Ct. 2195 (2005), the Supreme Court reaffirmed that the authority of Congress to regulate the use of potentially harmful substances through the federal Controlled Substances Act includes the authority to regulate marijuana of a purely intrastate character, regardless of a state law purporting to authorize “medical” use of marijuana.

The federal government is not alone in viewing smoked marijuana as having no documented medical value. Voices in the medical community likewise do not accept smoked marijuana as medicine:

• The American Medical Association has rejected pleas to endorse marijuana as medicine, and instead has urged that marijuana remain a prohibited, Schedule I controlled substance, at least until more research is done.
    • The American Cancer Society “does not advocate inhaling smoke, nor the legalization of marijuana,” although the organization does support carefully controlled clinical studies for alternative delivery methods, specifically a THC skin patch.
    • The American Academy of Pediatrics believes that “any change in the legal status of marijuana, even if limited to adults, could affect the prevalence of use among adolescents.” While it supports scientific research on the possible medical use of cannabinoids as opposed to smoked marijuana, it opposes the legalization of marijuana.
    • The National Multiple Sclerosis Society states that studies done to date “have not provided convincing evidence that marijuana benefits people with MS,” and thus marijuana is not a recommended treatment. Furthermore, the NMSS warns that the “long-term use of marijuana may be associated with significant serious side effects.”
    • The British Medical Association (BMA) voiced extreme concern that down-grading the criminal status of marijuana would “mislead” the public into believing that the drug is safe. The BMA maintains that marijuana “has been linked to greater risk of heart disease, lung cancer, bronchitis and emphysema.”7 The 2004 Deputy Chairman of the BMA’s Board of Science said that ” the public must be made aware of the harmful effects we know result from smoking this drug.”
    • The American Academy of Pediatrics asserted that with regard to marijuana use, “from a public health perspective, even a small increase in use, whether attributable to increased availability or decreased perception of risk, would have significant ramifications.”

In 1999, The Institute of Medicine released a landmark study reviewing the supposed medical properties of marijuana. The study is frequently cited by “medical” marijuana advocates, but in fact severely undermines their arguments.

• After release of the IOM study, the principal investigators cautioned that the active compounds in marijuana may have medicinal potential and therefore should be researched further. However, the study concluded that “there is little future in smoked marijuana as a medically approved medication.”
    • For some ailments, the IOM found “…potential therapeutic value of cannabinoid drugs, primarily THC, for pain relief, control of nausea and vomiting, and appetite stimulation.” However, it pointed out that ” the effects of cannabinoids on the symptoms studied are generally modest, and in most cases there are more effective medications than smoked marijuana.”
    • The study concluded that, at best, there is only anecdotal information on the medical benefits of smoked marijuana for some ailments, such as muscle spasticity. For other ailments, such as epilepsy and glaucoma, the study found no evidence of medical value and did not endorse further research.
    • The IOM study explained that “smoked marijuana . . . is a crude THC delivery system that also delivers harmful substances.” In addition, “plants contain a variable mixture of biologically active compounds and cannot be expected to provide a precisely defined drug effect.” Therefore, the study concluded that “there is little future in smoked marijuana as a medically approved medication.”
    • The principal investigators explicitly stated that using smoked marijuana in clinical trials “should not be designed to develop it as a licensed drug, but should be a stepping stone to the development of new, safe delivery systems of cannabinoids.”

Thus, even scientists and researchers who believe that certain active ingredients in marijuana may have potential medicinal value openly discount the notion that smoked marijuana is or can become “medicine.”

The federal government has approved research into whether THC has any medicinal use. As of May 8, 2006, the federal government had registered every one of the 163 researchers who requested to use marijuana in studies and who met Department of Health and Human Services standards. One of those researchers, The Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research (CMCR), conducts studies “to ascertain the general medical safety and efficacy of cannabis and cannabis products and examine alternative forms of cannabis administration.” The CMCR currently has 11 on-going studies involving marijuana and the efficacy of cannabis and cannabis compounds as they relate to medical conditions such as HIV, cancer pain, MS, and nausea.

At present, however, the clear weight of the evidence is that smoked marijuana is harmful. No matter what medical condition has been studied, other drugs already approved by the FDA, such as Marinol – a pill form of synthetic THC – have been proven to be safer and more effective than smoked marijuana

• CalebBecker says:

I agree fully marijuana has so many benefits to help the sick and dying, it can also enhance everybodies well being, there is nothing wrong with marijuana!!!! I am so happy to hear that the argument is being brought to the east side!!!!
    Awesomme!!

• Charlotte Repulican says:

If the state is going to tax income from sales on the Internet (just got an e-mail this morning from Amazon telling me that I won’t be eligible to get commissions on sales from them and I’ll be out of an income stream if the current NC budget bill passes), and they’re going to slap a yearly tax/registration fee on all minibikes and ATVs then they also need to look at the additional tax revenue from medical marijuana.

The savings from not having to arrest, prosecute, and jail people for such a minor offense would be huge.

• joan says:

How long are we going to allow the government to spend 100’s of millions of our tax dollars to keep marijuana smokers behind bars like dangerous criminals? Jail is for people who do harm to others. This is a freedom of choice issue, not a criminal issue. What will be next? Jail time for those who refuse to wear seat belts? When will this country wake up and realize that our personal choices are being made for us, like children, and disobedience can mean the end of your life as you know it.

You are right..and being under the influence of alcohol is more dangerous than being high. There are more people killed by drunk drivers than by driver’s who’ve smoked a little pot.

• nemo says:

i have the same problems he does but i have a couple more and i totally no where he s coming from id rather smoke then take 12 pills a night

• Ricky says:

Its a seed bearing herb that god put on earth for people to use. If legalized the tax revenue with generate so much money the state could use to build new infrastructure and help in education needs. Its not a gateway drug, how can a plant be even considered a drug? Yes it might be mind altering but its a naturally growing plant. I’ve smoked alot of marijuana and it has never had any long term effects on me or anyone else i know that does smoke it.

• Guestier than you says:

I see your response is lacking a bit. Lets start this information session off with coherent sentences. I imagine you meant “will generate” not “with generate” in your response to the article. I guess that marijuana slows the reaction time.

It is not a gateway drug. Lets take that one apart for you. The way I see it is that after the high of marijuana, the more weak minded people who want to get higher move on to other drugs, therefore it can be a gateway drug. Just because it was not a gateway drug for you, does not mean it has not or will not be a gateway drug for others.

Next, how can a plant be considered a drug?
    Cocaine is a derivative of a plant, as a matter of fact. It is derived from the Coca plant (Erythroxylum coca). In its raw leafy form, is known to be a poor mans drug in latin american and south american countries. When chewed, coca acts as a mild stimulant and suppresses hunger, thirst, pain, and fatigue.
    The drug we call cocaine is the drug found in the plant.

Does that not count either? The drug found in the marijuana plant is the issue, THC. It slows reactions and responses. See the next bit of this for slowing reactions and responses.

The most laughable part of your solution about marijuana not causing long term effects already showed itself. It took you how long to come up with that lame excuse. This story is 9 months old.

• ImaPersonToo says:

You people make me sick! Conservative or Liberal, you are all mean! There are a small group of us with cancer, nervous system disorders, intestinal diseases, etc. that are in constant severe pain. These diseases have NO cure. We suffer in pain 24/7 for months at a time. Our doctors will not prescribe pains meds because they are addicting and have negative side affects. I was diagnosed with an incurable chronic disease 5 years ago. It wasn’t until I was throwing up from the pain that I even considered pot. Let me explain what the pain does. When it comes, it lasts for about a minute at a time. I completely go blank. I try and think about anything I can to get my mind off the pain. It feels like it lasts forever. After it subsides, I get a nasty taste in my mouth. My mouth begins to water excessively, and then I get a nasty taste. After this I feel whatever is in my stomach start to come up. I puke. Then I puke again and again and again. This repeats every couple days…The typical pain I would gauge as a 5 to 7 that lasts ALL DAY AND NIGHT! Throughout the day I get the pleasure of experiencing pain I would say is between a 2 and 4. I have been like this since February. Luckily the pain and my disease is starting to subside into remission. I went through this last year from October through the middle of December. I am anemic and dehydrated because of my disease. It is VERY hard to drink the 100+ ounces of water a day I should to stay hydrated. Most the time I use the bathroom, the toilet is filled with blood. I have no energy and can not eat solid food at the moment. I life off those boost and ensure drinks. I weigh 140 lbs. I am 5’9″, 32 and am male. I use to weigh 200lbs, which was my average since high school. I lost all that weight in 2 years…without exercising. I actually do the opposite of exercise. When I come home from work, I rest, watch TV, play video games. I sleep at least 10 hours a night because I can not get the right nutrients from food….because I can’t eat!
    So, recap, I cant eat, anemic, dehydrated, no energy, constant pain.
    Amazing enough, I can eat when I get stoned. My pain subsides and I feel human again. If it wasnt for smoking pot, I would probably weigh less and there would have probably been a bullet in my head months ago because of NOT BEING HUMAN!
    I don’t care if some crack head makes his doctor believe he is in pain to get pot. I care if I can get it. I care that I can be out of pain. I care if others who go through what I go through can get the same pain relief that I can through pot.
    Pot IS NOT addictive. If you want to say a crack head is addicted to pot, go ahead. IM NOT A CRACK HEAD! I am in pain, WE are in pain.
    You people are so stupid to deny people who suffer in pain and misery a relief that WILL NOT AFFECT YOUR pathetic, indifferent, ignorant lives.
    The drugs i am on, which are not working that well, and WILL NOT cure my disease, will cause lymphoma. You think I care if pot turns out to screw up my DNA? You probably drink bottled water because you feel your local water is bad for you. It might be something to learn that your local tap water has higher regulations that bottled water does. I wonder what is in that bottled water that can cause DNA damage?
    It is heinous to allow something so innocent like pot to NOT help people with their maladies. We suffer daily and you people do your best to keep something away from us that may not fix our problem, but sure will help make us feel a little better. We don’t smoke pot when we drive, work, use machines or do anything else that could cause harm to others.
    You are being irresponsible to your fellow humans from keeping this plant from us.

• tracey_dragnon says:

Hemp can save the planet. Through, fuel, fibers, food and medicine. The war on drugs (marijuna) has caused more lives then saved. Just like the one officer dtated below. He has never gone to an accident scene where marijuana was a cause or a fight where the suspect was stoned. doesn’t hapen. But there are so many in jail or probtion for marijuana. I don’t get it. Legalize it and save the planet.

• Hittinthehighnote says:

Marijuana is not physically addictive. It, just like anything in the world, can be mentally addictive, but that’s just up to the person using it. I’m more addicted to sports, hip-hop and playing basketball than I am marijuana. I’ve been smoking since I was 16 and have chosen to quit for 3+ month multiple times. The reason I went back to smoking it was bcuz I like the taste, I like the feeling, and it can be a social thing depending on your friends. Your comment about a pothead laying bleeding shows me that you have never been around a normal person who smokes weed. Cigarettes are worse than smoking weed, why are they legal? Alcohol is worse than smoking weed, why is that legal? Stop being ignorant to the actual issue at hand. Like many people have said, its a plant that God chose to put on this earth for a reason. Do you think that reason was so that the government would throw good people in jail over selling or possessing weed? Hell no. In the great words of Pimp C(RIP), SMOKE SOMETHIN BITCH!!!!

• ohaithar says:

caps lock— gets the point across

• ADVOCATE says:

Im posting this as a student

PILLS are easier to get than marijuana.
    you can call any of your friends and they can just rumble through mom or grandmas medicine cabinet and BAMMMM we can be messed up for the next week straight.

Smoking a joint or a cigar rolled blunt-
    we just get a little hungry!!!

LEGALIZE IT so my friends will stop overdosing on medications

RIP Reid Perry
    RIP Michael Underwood
    RIP Josh Irelan
    RIP Jeremy Beardsley

for my guys that coulda smoked and got a little high if marijuana were legal

• Deeteez says:

Lead the way, and stop being followers its inevitable like the lottery, why wait. I mean its not going away, so legalize it already!

• HERBS151 says:

I WORKED MOST OF MY LIFE IN THE MEDICAL FIELD(34) YEARS. AS A PARAMEDIC ANSWERING THOUSANDS OF AMBULANCE CALLS, I NEVER RESPONDED TO A CALL WHERE MARIJUANA CAUSED A FIGHT,INJURY,ACCIDENT ECT..UNLIKE THE NUMEROUS CALLS RECEIVED FOR ALCOHOL.BE COMPASSIONATE AND LEGALIZE IT! IF YOU OR YOUR PARENTS NEEDED IT,WHAT WOULD YOU DO?? IT IS PROVEN TO RELIEVE NAUSEA,INCREASE APPETITE,CALM PEOPLE,DIMINISH PAIN.WE ALL KNOW THAT IT IS SAFE. DONT BE IGNORANT. EVEN A TAX ON THIS PRODUCT COULD REDUCE THE DEFICIT,IMPROVE HEALTH CARE,INCREASE JOBS IN N.C. IT IS TIME FOR A CHANGE IN HEALTH CARE TO HELP INPROVE THE QUALITY OF LIFE IN SICK PATIENTS.

• GuestI3ooI3 says:

yeah that is a real smart comment “Just get drunk like everyone else” how many people have you ever hear of dying from smoking weed. but your answer is to get drunk that kills countless every year.

• Guest says:

Who wants to take meds with side effects like puking, loose stool, headache, swelling, etc. I choose something put here by our LORD not made by some scientist that doesnt haVE A CLUE WHAT HE IS DOING I HAVE A BACHELORS IN SCIENCE SO I NO ITS A HIT AND MISS ON MAN MADE MEDS

• LOCAL says:

This is should be framed and put all over the world

I’m right there brother!

• Guest Doober says:

For decades this argument has gone on and on with no end.
    If possession of heroin and killing someone by a vehicle gets you 5 months in the can……what in the world is all the hype about pot?????!

• Irritated Guest says:

Your comment has totally changed the minds of Americans, and the war on drugs has ended!!! Congratulations, your fantasy land has bloomed. Now lets talk about reality.

First, marijuana slows your reaction time. Um, lets see about that. I work as a line cook making food for ignorant pricks like you, and rarely ever mess up a dish to the point where it becomes severely late. Oh, I usually smoke a joint or two RIGHT before work. Incase you have never worked in a kitchen, it’s an extremely fast paced envioment where one little slipup can cause the whole kitchen to collapse. Reaction time huh?

Long term effects…totally took him 9 months. People have lives and dont live on the internet, posting less-than-sensible replies to a topic that will eventually become LEGALIZED completely. It’s a matter of time before you right-winged crackjobs are finally out of office and OUR generation will fix what YOU fucked up. It seriously irritates me that you are so intolerent.

Calamus root is a plant that stimulates a relaxed state of mind and can inspire “meditative” states. Should THAT be illegal? Ginger root has properties, when chewed, to calm and bring the user to a state of relaxation. Should GINGER, a product I’m POSITIVE you eat if you eat any kind of oriental food, be illegal?

So sit back and sip on your alcohol (which kills over 500,000 people YEARLY without considering car accidents, beatings, ect) and I’ll continue to smoke my joints. When you wreck your car, bleeding out your coronary artery, I’ll stand by and watch smoking a joint, laughing. By the way, I had lesions in my throat that where pre-cancerous at the age of 16, and now that I am 19, smoking for 3 years, my lesions are gone. Thank marijuana for saving my life!

(by the way, if any of my grammar or spelling is off, it is because I do not particularly enjoy being totally literate. I know enough to get by and be sucessful, so don’t call it “marijuana making me dumb”)

• Guest:guest says:

I challenge you to google “beheadings of officials in Mexico”. Read for yourself what is going on. Ask the people who live in Arizona if it can happen in America. Ask anyone who lives on the border if it can happen in America. This is happening, people are being murdered, if you think that is okay, then nothing I say here will change that. Read the CBS and NEW YORK TIMES articles. Research this and you will see it’s not just my opinion. If you think these cartels will go away quitely, you are mistaken. They can bribe government officials just as they do in Mexico. We have had mafias in America and look at the blood shed in the streets during this time in American history. Politicians can be bought and influenced by money and power. Corruption knows no bounderies.

If you think the drug cartels aren’t in the US please watch this video.. everyone should watch this video..

DON’T TRAVEL IN AMERICA–IT’S TOO DANGEROUS 7-19-2010 on you tube

it will be an eye opener for many….

• guestt says:

Of course the drug cartels wont step down quietly, but that one article will not prove that legalization will decrease crime in the country. the most used illegal substance ingested today is marijuana, so if it was legalized there would most defiantly be a dramatic decrease in drug related crimes

• WHolt says:

Yes i believe the use and manufacture of marijuana would be a great idea for the two main reasons, I had a soccer accident back in 2008 i broke my neck, i had to be air lifted to CMC and was on bed rest and was out 3 weeks later and didnt go back my senior year cause of that so i stoped taking pain killers because when i would take them after so long they didnt do anything for the pain anymore, I started smoking marijuana and the pain in my neck is very little to non at at all at sometimes that would be my first reason. The maufacture of marijuana would bring in so much money to the state and more jobs for the people of north carolina.

• Carrie says:

I absolutley agree with legalizing marijuana.I have HepC and a Hematoma in my right groin area that hurts constantly.I also suffer from being Bi-Polar.Marijuana helps with the pain and my mood swings tremendously!!!I think that it should be legalized everywhere though,to those of the LEGAL AGE!!How many stoned people do you see picking fights with others,murdering people,going out and causing a 5 car pile-up on the highway??!! Not many!!
    Just legalize it already so that we can live in a more harmonious society together!!

• Guest 1 says:

I am all for the legalization i have constant lower back pain due to an out of line spine. It helps amazingly to the pain.

• Guest from Up North says:

Congratulations on your state taking the reins and stepping up to the citizens’ right. Any human with a heart and knowledge of pain should be in favor of this bill, because one never knows if you will be the one who needs medicinal marijuana. The legislators and doctors in most states still view marijuana as a taboo and fear loss of job over support of marijuana in any way; even after the voters decide that they are willing to accept its therapeutic/medicinal value in society.

What more do these politicians and leaders of the U.S. DEA need to point out the fact that marijuana IS valuable in terms of medical benefits? It has been proven over and over that it is beneficial (first the DEA needs to absolutely remove marijuana’s absurd “Schedule 1 Substance”).

Iowa’s Board of Pharmacy recently neglected to even consider using marijuana for its medicinal properties (sounds like some people want to gain the money from insurance companies from pills rather than someone growing their own medicine). I am an American citizen who has used marijuana before, but do not on a regularly basis in any means. I am also an American citizen who sees that neglecting the freedoms our country is supposed to stand for is unconstitutional. If the voters vote and say yes, respect their choices and listen to them legislators. My state’s legislators, majority of them are democrats, still kill marijuana bills and are too afraid to even hear them once in committee.

Good luck and God bless!

It never ceases to amaze me that something that has little to no side affects and has been proven to help people in pain, is still looked upon as a bad thing. A doctor can prescribe you morphine or oxycontin, which both have serious side effects but they cannot prescribe something that is natural with little known side affect. What sense does that make? Given the choice I would rather take something that is not going to damage my liver, kidneys or other major organs.

I fully support this bill, though I feel that the State should consider treating marijuana similarly to tobacco and alcohol – have it available to all “of-age” citizen’s. There are many, many people who use marijuana behind closed doors, so-to-speak, even those one would not think was a “user”. The legalization of this plant could mean big bucks for the State of North Carolina. Legalizing marijuana, and taxing it, would decrease the State’s budget deficit.

Legalize it, and I will advertise it…

• SM says:

How does the legalization of marijuana hurt you? I don’t see any harm in legalizing marijuana. What would happen? nothing. Marijuana is not a drug its simply a plant we like to smoke like tobacco. Ok we get a little high and we do unusual things but we are in control of our selves and we still know right from wrong. I have not met or heard of a single person who was high of “weed” and robbed a bank or killed a innocent person but yet i hear of drunk people killing people while driving, murdering people while intoxicated, or even killing them selves when intoxicated. Yet alcohol is not considered an illegal substance. That to me makes no sense at all. another thing is police and the entire system is ridiculous when it comes to marijuana. I am 19 yrs. old and have 2 possession charges and a paraphernalia charge. My story and this is the truth was i was driving with a friend in his 1991 buick that his aunt gave him a while back and it had some old window tints. A cop pulls up behind us and just follows for like 10 minutes. we didn’t think anything of it because we weren’t doing anything wrong. after a while he then pulls up to the side of us and stares and me and my friend. he then stops gets back behind us and turned his lights on. we co operate with everything the cop had ask but then he asked to search the car. We say no for 2 reason 1. a cop needs a reason to search the car and he could not provide one. and 2. we simply had weed in the car….anyways he pulls aside from traffic and calls in a k9 unit, the k9 walks around the car about 4 times and even sticks his head inside the car but does not make a single noise or does not scratch for anything. they then 2 cops to search the car they find a backpack with the weed in it. 3 grams :( my life is limited now because of 3 grams. i go to search for jobs they throw my application in the trash when im walking out. My mom thinks im a junkie and now im working at a pizza place delivering pizzas. I cant make enough money for school so thats out of the picture and currently im working to just find a place. I apply to jobs just about every orther day and still not one has called. im on a restricted license for some reason even though i wasn’t driving at the time we got pulled over but i wont fight against the judge. my lawyer collected his money and didnt even try to defend me in court. but anyways im not the only person where this kinda crap has happened and im sure its costing the government more money incarcerating petty drug dealers and providing court appointed lawyers for petty marijuana crimes. JUST SAYING!!!

Thanks for reading and fight to legalize it!

• Cory says:

All the cops running up in my house and acting crazy over a plant i can’t take it. Right now because the police would leave my house alone i have nowhere to live .Everytime they search they find a little something just to make there money .the govt. is the only thing holding this law back there are people out there that have killed people that aren’t prosecuted but because i’m smoking a plant im goin to jail.what is this about someone tell me.

• Guest says:

I am a rapid cycling bipolar and I take those bipolar pills you’re bashing and do not smoke. I have nothing against those that do, it’s just a personal choice not to anymore. When I did smoke, I lived with my mother, when I was depressed, I did not work, did not go to school, and did not leave my room except to get food and more pot. When I was manic, I went shopping with my mom’s credit cards, went to the bar and got stupid drunk, and was violent if you tried to stop me from doing as I pleased. In the year since I was prescribed the meds, I have evened out, moved out of my mom’s, am in college full time, and have my life back. I have no side effects from the meds. I believe that if used at all, pot should be smoked in conjunction with traditional medicinal therapies during manic episodes, not as a replacement therapy, as it can make depressive episodes worse, or did, in my case.

• Guest Bill Brasky says:

I would respond more intelligently, but too much thought will harsh my mellow. Gotta go now, I need to turn my Pink Floyd album over…

• Guest says:

First off let me begin by saying GOD made pot man made alcohol ,narcotics,ect. who do you trust. I truly believe that ,AS A DEMOCRACY, I should be able to decide for myself if I want to alter my being in anyway. Why should you or anyone else decide what I put in my body.
    Now, I have smoked pot for many years. It started out as recreational use, but soon found out i was bipolar, then became more as medical use. I was told by doctors that pot caused my bipolar disorder and that i would have to take a hand full of pills for the rest of my life. I was forced to drop out of college because i could not comprehend what was going on around me, the pills left me lethargic most days. My psyco doc died and i was forced to seek out another. He asked me what i did before i was diagnosed and I told him that i smoked pot. He recommended that i return to my days of haze to see if it helped.
    I soon returned to college and graduated from a prominent college here in NC with a bachelors degree in science and went on to get my masters in art and music. I lead a normal life now with 3 beautiful girls and a very caring and loving wife. I smoke pot on a daily basis and you would never no it if you met me on the streets.
    I still have some occurrence with my disorder but they are quickly derailed by a nice bowl of kush or widow not paxil or xanex or wellbutrin. My pharmaceutical bill is far less per month and I can maintain a normal life. I have never been arrested for pot, but was arrested one time for xanex because i had a pill caddy instead of a prescription bottle.
    Everyone has a reason to love or hate pot, but remember freewill was given to you by GOD for a reason. I do think that before you say yes or no to pot you should do some research into the matter, you will find that it is less addictive than many regulated products and almost zero side effects.
    I close by thanking you for taking the time to read this and i hope you will take my advice and do some research.

• Nic says:

As a person who has served his time for crimes not done by himself, I can tell you right now that the “drug” in quetion is the only reason I was able to fight the bouts of depression and suicidal moments. Due to the local governments Anti Marijuana Laws. I was doing anythiong I could find because I thought my Life was over for the crimes of others, but Then I got High on a potent indica strand and my mind actually went to happier thoughts for the first time in three Years , & I realized I am young & can turn this whole situation around & I have with positive thinking & Pure High Quality Marijuana I am now a success in all the peoples eyes that I used to lie to & hurt with my Drug addited way of life. I am 24, Happily married & father to the greatest Son I could ask for. Thank You for your time & I hope you will try to open up your Mind>

• Guestfdberg says:

Marijuana is to ‘gateway drug’ as birth is to Serial Killer, because EVERYONE who was EVER a serial killer was born first.

or

Marijuana is to ‘gateway drug’ as milk is to alcoholic, because everyone who ever became an alcoholic first drank milk.

There has never once been an in-depth study to the ‘gateway drug’ theory. It is thought, though, that less than 2% of people who have ever smoked marijuana have gone on to even try anything harder, and less than .06% actually became addicted to harder drugs. Some gateway, huh?

• Ruben Esparza says:

you can’t blame everyone for your step son’s mistakes…take responsibility for his own mistakes and stop blaming it on marijuana…no one made him take weed or any other drug for that matter…you cant sit here and make it seem like all of his mistakes where from the so called “not so hardcore drug” opiates made him do that not the marijuana..which your doctors prescribed him…not the “not so HARDCORE Marijuana”I have never in my life seen someone get addicted to marijuana and go out and rob steal and kill for there next hit of marijuana and or overdose on marijuana,but guess what i have heard of people stealing and killing for opiates and robbing pharmacies because there so hooked on opiates.I’m not saying people haven’t killed for marijuana,what I am saying is people don’t get hooked on marijuana like an opiate..it’s not even in the same category and your trying to make it seem like it is so terrible like it tore your family apart.If they did a study on two lab rats and injected one with an opiate and one with THC,what do you think is going to be the outcome?one is gonna get fat from eating to many carrots and the other is gonna get skinny and sick and get the shivers and fiend and go crazy for the next injection…now ask your self was it really the marijuana..oh it’s a gateway drug BS tobacco is the gateway drug and far more worse effect on teenagers and people on the long run…..my 2 cents…take it for what it’s worth…

• Guest says:

as much as I hate to hear your story there is much more you are not saying… like who was watching out for him when he started acting out, and you say step son, I assume that his home life was not what he wanted (possibly due to re-marriage of his mother or a mother who worked all the time to support them or a step father who made him uncomfterble or not the center of his mothers life) SO he acted out and replaced one dysfunction with another. You are placing the blame on pot when it was the typical actions of an upset rebellious teen. therefore as his life took a turn for the worse and im sure you guys were not tickled pink from his trip to jail. His situation progressivly got worse resulting in his search to get f—ed up to blurr out life in general resulting in his present condition. He needs to find a shrink that he feels comfterable with and can trust (on his level) and sort thru everything. there are way to many people who are oblivious to the reality that each person is an INDIVIDUAL. Pot is a miricle drug for those who need it and respect that like all medications, it shouldnt be used for recreation. but compared to tobacco products and all forms of alcohol it is the safest thing around the carcenogens are expelled from the lungs 1500 times faster than that of cigarettes and ive never met a pot head that was violent when high! Alcohol is another story isnt it. BTW do you smoke, or drink a beer when you get home from work?

• Guest says:

I cannot stand it when one weak person ruins things for everyone else. For the person who wrote the reply about their step son, so what. Marijuana does not make you steal. You yourself make that decision. Just because you know he smoked pot doesn’t mean that that is why he did what he did. I have never wanted to go out and steal after smoking. That was his deal. Everyone in America that smokes pot doesn’t turn out that way. You are taking one situation and trying to use it to take away from everything good that it does. Instead of seeing the benefits you look at your step son who is obviously an idiot, and right off everything good it does. I have severe anxiety and pot is the only medication that has every helped. So before you go writing off all of us that use it for the benefits, maybe you should relize that your step son made his mistakes all on his own. Aside from that, marijuana is known to mae you lazy. Lazy people don’t want to move off the couch let alone commit a crime. Don’t judge the drug, judge the person who screwed up!!

• James 2010 says:

Guys I hate to call you out on it not being a “hard core” drug. You can tell that to my step son that has been in jail and moved on from marijuana to “not hard core” pills the doctor proscribed to opiates. In his wake he has left a destroyed family, many victimized people from his thefts and violence. All while only on pot the “not a hard core drug”

If you want it legalized for medical use then it must be controlled in the dosage and purity. Currently no state or even the federal government requires medical marijuana to meet the standards that vitamins have to meet in terms of standards.

so call it what it is decriminalization. Drs in California sell prescriptions for 20.00 on the board walk. Think it will be different here?

If you do you are either foolish or lying to yourself.

I see no problem with the legalization of marajuana.Of my friends, I would say that 1 in 3 are using it anyway. Most people are. There is nothing to say that it is addictive or that it leads to other drugs. And it is true that it comes from a plant,naturally,nothing added. What’s the big deal….

I am slightly right of center….and even I agree that marijuana should be legalized for medicinal use. HECK LEGALIZE IT AND TAX THE LIVING TAR out of it! The excuses that marijuana is some entry drug into other things…the SAME things can be said from drinking and tobacco use…they are used and taxed for revenue. I would MUCH MUCH rather meet a stoned person driving the opposite direction than a drunk person.

• jj says:

I have never used it, but I have always felt the reason it is not legalize is the fact that it is to easy to grow and cure and they can not figure a way to tax it..

• Guest dsg says:

But Rush Limbaugh said drug users should be arrested and deported from the country. Is the great Rush wrong??? How could that be?

• Guester says:

Would that be the same Rush Limbaugh who went through rehab for addiction to drugs?

• sandy says:

i know how using pot for medical use is necessary. some people say, “oh it’s addictive and leads to harder drugs”, good grief, if people want to use harder stuff they will anyway. as for medical use, it is not addictive other that you get addicted to being able to deal with pain, and feel less pain, and it’s not as harmful as narcotics that are prescribed! and, the medical pot doesn’t have all the dirt, spider webs, etc, that you find in a lot of it you get. and, think of the jobs that would be created. farmers, inspectors, distributors, etc. it would be safter than what you get off of the street now. it has been proven to help chemo patients, chronic pain patients, etc. it’s natural, unlike the pills which are man-made, and who knows what they use as fillers, think about the stats on how many go to the er with an allergic reaction to pills over how many go for reactions to pot….. yes, i definitely support legalizing medical use, i think that it all should be legal. it would get the government out of debt a lot quicker, because you know they will tax it. no, i don’t smoke, i am allergic, but, that could go back to the cleanliness of it, medical may be different. i have been told it would help my health problems, but that’s not why i feel so strong about it, i know others in much more need of it, ones who are going to have to live taking pain pills the rest of their life, and the pills damage your internal organs, pot don’t…..so all of you out there who have been programmed to believe it’s “evil” do some research.

• Guest says:

Ok for starters weed sould be legel for awhole lot of reasons. Weed has three simtoms hugry happy sleepy lol. I know some would who had high blood pressure and a few other medical problems and he would drink it as a tea and now he don have to take any pills for his health for him of course he could get medical marijuana no problem. But for people like me who smoke to calm my nerves so I want depend on pills from my doc but what happens when ppl like me get caught jail which it should not be that way. And for all who thinks weed is a gate way drug its not the drug wanting to get higher its the person doing it…… Thank about and make marijuana legel

• Guest says:

Your use of grammer and the english language does not help the cause. You make marijuana smokers look stupid but thanks for your input…..and yes I do smoke.

• Guest says:

I’m not sure what they mean by “homepage” but I am sure that someone out there will explain it to me in words designed to make me look like an idiot. Anyway, as I know from bitter experience, in the 1980’s rehab was all the rage. You weren’t “in” unless you had done a round or two of rehab and the information presented by the Psychiatrists, other Doctors, Nurses, Counselors, etc., was taken for granted as being absolute and correct. Everything was changing and the insurance companies were complaining and the medical profession was on the gravy train. Now, if our government had any good sense whatsoever they would legalize marijuana and set it up (in NC at least) in the same vein as ABC stores. The taxes alone would pull our country out of this abysmal national debt we are in, have been in, will always be in, ad nauseum. The taxes could bolster the Social Security program so that, quite possible, there will be money for our children and our children’s children. Remember, when wages were first taxes the governmental promise was “oh we won’t touch this money, we promise, we’ll just let it rollover and do the job it was designed to do…blah, blah, blah”. That lasted until our friends in the government saw just how much monies were acruing in the social security account and, it being hard to keep ones fingers out of the delicious, hot pie, all their promises went by the wayside. But, I digress…! Legalization would be beneficial in a myriad of ways. We could put this God awful “War on drugs” on hold and essentially have it over and done. I was once told by a working cop that they couldn’t get a murder trial scheduled on the court docket because there were so many little nickel and dime drug (i.e., marijuana) trials to be taken care of promptly. ‘Nuff said

• Tommy jacobs says:

With each state that passes medical marijuana laws is one step closer too getting marijuana legalized.

However, if everyone that posts a comment on these news articles would send a email to president Obama, and our elected officials in congress, and anyone else that they can think of, maybe the people in Washington would relize that legalizing, regulating and taxing marijuana is the right thing to do.

Also, it is our responsibility too, investigate who we vote for. We as Americans have the right to put anyone we choose in office and we also have the right too fire our representives. So, what we need to do is get our act together and join forces and investigate who we vote for, and get those who oppose marijuana legalization out of office and put those who are in favor of it! The United States Government is out of control, they think they can run our day to day lives and impose the will of the few on the many….I don’t know about you people but I see our country turning into another Russia! We need to stop this before its too late, our rights and freedon are in jeapordy!

• Guest:guest says:

I have read repeatedly, on previous posts, how legalizing marijuiana would bring in all this money for the states. I totally disagree with this idea. I think this will open the door for drug lords to come into our country. Do you honestly think they are going to give up any revenue… this would be a cash cow for them. They would turn the streets of America into a killing field just as they have done in Mexico. They aren’t afraid of the law or government. They will brutally murder anyone who cuts into their territory. Anyone who believes that this can’t happen in America has smoked one joint too many. Look at the many mayors and law enforcement people who have been murdered just across our borders..some even beheaded. Is your having the “right” to smoke a joint worth having to live in a society like that? We have become a self indulgent society with little to no regard for others. The unintended consequences of passing such a law would be devestating. For every joint you smoke, you are empowering the murders who are commiting these acts.

• Guest says:

If marijuana were legalized, wouldn’t it effectivly end the reign of these Mexican cartels? By allowing north carolinians to grow and distribute marijuana for recreational and medical use, the revenue streams of the cartels will be completly cut off, eliminating a large portion of their power over Americans and mexicans on both sides of the border. I just don’t see why people think that the criminals are not already here, and legalization will bring them here. Were do you think all the midgrade pot in the area comes from?

• austin byrd says:

Ok first of all your wrong no one kills over marijuana. Obviously you know nothing about drugs cocaine and all hard core drugs is where the violence takes place. If marijuana was legalized there would be billions of dollars coming in from tax and also would help out with the debt that we are in.

• juzten says:

your telling me that the mexican mafia, and mexican cartel would come to the states and reek havac in the middle of america, your crazy, that would be basically starting a war between mexico, and america. you know we do have an army and we have a strong one. i mean really thats a little dramatic, who they gonna kill, mayors, the president, or the governors that legalize it, you ever heard of secret service? if anyone got killed it would be gang members, and we already have that problem in the states…

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

What you seem to fail to grasp is that the Mexican drug lords exist BECAUSE they are growing and supplying a product that millions of Americans want, but dare not grow themselves. As long as demand outpaces supply, the amount of money revolving around pot is truly incredible.

The simple fact is that prohibition doesn’t work. It didn’t work for alcohol, it hasn’t worked for gun control in cities and states with Draconian gun laws, and it CERTAINLY hasn’t worked when it comes to drugs. As long as demand exists and people have the money to buy it, the prohibited product will find a market.

Our “War on Drugs” is far more of a law enforcement/criminal justice/corrections employment program rather than any effective tool at ridding drugs from out streets. Simply legalizing pot alone would free up a wealth of manpower and space to go after serious criminals and lock them up for a lonnnnnggggg time.

I don’t smoke the crap and I question the maturity, intelligence, and judgment of anyone over twenty-five who does…but legalizing it would allow us to concentrate on far more serious issues that impact society. We have bigger fish to fry than potheads.

Mayors beheaded, thats funny

• Grand Ole Party says:

I don’t think it should be legal, but your post makes no sense what so ever. Why would they come here? No money to be made if it is run by the state. Really you seem as if you have been smoking it.

• Guest says:

I disagree with you, as an American we have the right to freedom, where it be marijuana,or the right you just expressed freedom of speech. its people like you is why America is not the great country it once was, to scared to speak their minds or do what they want (legally) living in fear that if we do this or if we do that the bad men will come and kill us in the streets, I say let them come,There are plenty great Americans left we will stand up just like we always do and make them wish they never messed with the USA, or our rights.
    so to all you fellow Americans who are to scared to have the freedom thousands of great men have fought and died for. I say this, stop being afraid, you live in the greatest country in the world, we will stand with you if the bad men come and together we will send them back where they came from or back there in a body bag it is there choice. so even if you don’t agree with a freedom like marijuana, stand up for it anyway cause just like being able to post your thoughts here it’s all a freedom in one way or another and if we start giving them up simply because we are scared or don’t agree with them, we may lose them all, and that is truly what you need to be afraid of

doesn’t seem to be a problem with tobacco…which is a drug.

• Boogie Mulwee says:

Actually, tobacco right out of the curing shed is almost unsmokeable. Phillip-Morris and other cigarette manufacturers add about 400 different chemicals to their processed tobacco to make it taste the way it does.

Cannabis buds fresh off of the plant can be used in cooking and after a bit of curing, can be turned into vapor that contains no carcinogens but all of the cannabinoids one would get from burning it.

Also, there is a prescription product available in Canada called Sativex. According to MPP, “Sativex is a natural marijuana extract developed by a British company, GW Pharmaceuticals. It is a liquid that is sprayed into the mouth. Made from marijuana plants bred for specific levels of various active components, called cannabinoids, Sativex is similar to marijuana-based extracts and tinctures that were legally available in the United States until 1937. (Such products were manufactured by major drug companies and sold through pharmacies until the federal government banned marijuana in 1937.)”

So you call spray it, eat it, and inhale it as a vapor without suffering from any of the harmful effects from smoking it. An entire industry built around making products based on those healthy means of ingestion could be regulated and would contribute millions to the economy.

I doubt it will be too much longer before these states that are so deeply in debt consider legalizing, regulating, and taxing cannabis as a means to stay solvent.

• Faolan says:

Yet anyone can make moonshine and grow their own tobacco… But how many people actually invest the time into doing so?

• a friend says:

lets stick to the facts hemp can be our main source of energy! we could extract the oil from the plant and make fuel to run cars. its simple process just purify it centerfuge it and so on. many things can be made from hemp like coal carpet clothes shoes even rubber. ropes would be very strong.we could make power plants using hemp oil derived.the use of hemp can give us commodity we need like clothes fabric. this is the most usefull plant on the planet. we can make any fabric out of hemp like upholstry,carpet,anything fabric even the greenhouse effect would start healing if we grow it but it would take alot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biofuel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textile_manufacturing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_lamp http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitigation_of_peak_oil http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_cuisines_of_medieval_Europe
    to learn about hemp use these urls for example/www.wikipedia.com

• MATTHEW 2345 says:

POT SHOULD BE LEGAL FOR MANY REASONS. PEOPLE CAN FUNCTION IF THEY SMOKE. IT IS PROVEN TO DO LESS DAMAGE THAN BEER. IT IS FUN TO DO AND YOU WON’T GET ADDICTED TO IT LIKE COKE OR CRACK. POT IS PRETTY MUCH THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD. EVEN IF IT DOESN’T GET LEGAL. ITS ALWAYS GOING TO BE HERE AND NEVER GO AWAY BECAUSE SO MANY POEPLE LOVE IT. IF THE GOVERMENT DOES MAKE IT LEGAL, THEY WILL MAKE TRILLIONS AND HELP US GET OUT THIS DEEP HOLE WE ARE IN, IN THIS MESTED UP WORLD.THE GOVERMENT WOULD HAVE MONEY TO HELP PAY FOR NEW INVENTIONS TO CURE ANY BAD DISEASE AND HELP WITH ALOT MORE JOBS.IT WOULD JUST BE THE BEST THING EVER DONE IN THIS WORLD TO HELP OUR COUNTRY OUT IN THIS DEPRESSION WE ARE GOING IN.AND ANOTHER THING IS IF IT DOESN’T GET LEGAL THE GOVERMENT WILL SPEND MORE AND MORE MONEY TO TRY TO KEEP IT OUT WHEN ALL THE GOVERMENT IS DOING IS WASTING THERE MONEY AND TIME WHEN THEY COULD MAKE IT LEGAL AND MAKE BIG BUCKS AND MAKE PEOPLE HAPPY AND FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DONT WANT IT LEGAL, THEY DONT HAVE TO SMOKE IT.ITS THERE CHOICE. IT SHOULD’NT BE ILLEGAL JUST BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT TO SMOKE POT, THERES MILLIONS MORE THAT WANT TO AND ALREADY DO. IN OTHER STATES IT IS LEGAL AND THEY DONT HAVE PROBLOMS. IT SHOULD BE LEGAL EVERY WHERE INCLUDING NORTH CAROLINA CAUSE THATS WHERE I STAY……MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE AND MAKE IT LEGAL

• Guest Terry says:

If you want to see an educational film about marijuana, watch “Reefer Madness.” That one dude really gets down with it. LMAO !

• Guest says:

Legalize pot for plain old every day smoking! The Sky Will Not Fall! I am Dam tired of Big Brother government trying to run my life! This Drug War has done far more Harm than the drugs have! Addiction should be a medical problem; Not a Criminal one! Legalize Pot, and decriminalize everything else. Treatment for drug addictions is cheaper than prison. Stop this insane drug war!

• Guest: guest2 says:

I have an idea, let’s do away with ALL laws, after all, we all have a “RIGHT” to do anything we want. Thieves have a right to steal, after all, if they want it, it’s their right to have it. Let’s do away with murder convictions, after all, if someone pisses someone off, it’s their right to get even. Let’s just let anarchy reign, after all, it’s a right……

Go hang out in the Mexican city of Juarez and see how the drug cartels work, if you don’t get shot first. Google Juarez and check the death toll and then come back and tell me that marijuana dealers don’t kill. Over 3,000 people killed in just one city.

• JustDoIT! says:

Just decriminilize it altogether. People don’t realize the money that could be generated from the controlled sale of marijuana. If citizens were permitted to grow their own marijuana they would have plenty of money to stimulate the economy. How about we take it out of the hands of the dealers. The dealers would be forced to go get real jobs. I struggle with this debate all the time. MORE PEOPLE SMOKE MARIJUANA THAN ANYONE WANTS TO ADMIT. If everyone who smoked came forward to support the cause it would be shocking.

• khan says:

I am so proud of you my brother. I might not know you but in my heart(no lie) I am feeling all happy inside for you. Keep up the positive thinking and it will pay out in the end for you and your family. Raise your Son in the way of what you’ve learned and he to shall be estatic with what life has given him. A GREAT FATHER

• Guest says:

I just wanted to add to the “Gateway” theory. In the 80’s the government tried to convince people, or at least kids like myself, that Marijuana was a gateway drug and that if you smoked pot you would ultimately end up taking heroin or something of the like and then end up dead or messed up. In some regards I would agree with this, not because you become addicted and then need something harder (I smoked pot for years and never tried anything harder and no longer smoke pot now, by my own choice). The reason that it becomes a gateway drug (in my opinion) is because Marijuana IS ILLEGAL. You have to go to a DRUG DEALER in order to buy or receive pot. What do drug dealers do…? THEY SELL DRUGS OF COURSE and most of them don’t just sell pot. I can’t count how many times I was offered harder drugs by drug dealers while buying pot. As has been said before legal or not people are going to buy and smoke pot that much is obvious I would think just by the amount of people in jail or with messed up lives for breaking the law. We spend billions of dollars a year to police and incarcerate “drug users” or pot smokers, why? Because it’s a “gateway” drug; if Marijuana were legal how many of those pot smokers would even be introduced to harder drugs. Never mind the money and jobs we could make as a nation by legalizing Marijuana just removing the criminal aspect of buying Marihuana would go a long way to keeping people from the harder drugs.