8 Comments for this article

Tags: , ,

The road from Shallotte to Chapel Hill is a relatively short one. Alabama is a much longer drive, but that is where Alfy Hill is headed.

"As I consider all the factors – the school that gives me the best opportunity to achieve all my dreams, and the school I’ve chose to attend is the University of Alabama," said the future Crimson Tide defensive end.

For Hill, No. 35 for West Brunswick, the current season is young. The recruiting process has been a bit of a distraction. He can now put that behind him.

Ironically, his favorite school as a child did not make his top two list.

"When I was growing up my favorite school was NC State, but their recruiting turned me away," he said.

So it is off to Alabama to play football for the Crimson Tide, instead of a university two to thee hours up I-40.

"I just want Alfy to know that the kids here, the football team, the teachers, the coaches, the faculty, we just want you to know that the West Brunswick community will be going to Tuscaloosa with you," WBHS Atheltics Director John Floyd said. "Congratulations."

West Brunswick head coach Jimmy Fletcher believes hill chose Alabama because of the importance of football at the university.

"I think the Alabama coaches did a great job recruiting him. I think overall the lure to win a national championship was the final straw. I think that appealed to him more than anything," Fletcher said.

Comment on this Story

8 Comments on "West Brunswick senior Alfy Hill chooses Alabama over UNC"

Guest7878
2015 years 9 months ago

“Oh Really” sounds a bit jealous over the fact that this guy has a bright future ahead of him by attending a four year university. What community college will you be attending next year “Oh Really?????”

FanC
2015 years 9 months ago

Can’t you wish him well, before you tear him down? He may have been one math credit short for the UNC system, but he did not let his shortcomings deter his dream. It is very obvious that he will have to work hard academically and athletically, to be successful at Alabama,and most of us are proud that he has chosen to continue his education rather than stand on the corner doing nothing..I am sure that if he could have solved his ”credit” problem he would have done so. Congrats young man.. Work hard at Alabama and make us proud!! Makes me wonder, how did you come up with the ”credit” info anyway? Sure that wasn’t public record, since he is a minor and still in public school..

Scoop
2015 years 9 months ago

“I think the Alabama coaches did a great job recruiting him. I think overall the lure to win a national championship was the final straw. I think that appealed to him more than anything,” Fletcher said.

That…plus the fact he would need another math credit to attend a school in the NC University system.

Guest314
2015 years 9 months ago

Yes, I am sure that this young man made a four year decision based on a 4 month, 3 credit hour math course. Why would you make such a snide comment?

Marvin
2015 years 9 months ago

Good luck Alfy! Keep your eyes on the prize!

Auntie
2015 years 9 months ago

Way to go nephew! Keep up the GOOD work…..

bryant
2015 years 9 months ago

Again as you said to fulfill your dreams…that is the important factor to look at. The educational and altheletic factor is clear here. Young man I have watched West Brunswick train some of the finest young men at the time there wasnt much to the coaching staff getting recruiters in …I am happy that we had a basketball star Cedric Simmons also…you on your way baby….congrads and pick your company wisely…we will be coming to see you ….

SurfCityTom
2015 years 9 months ago

he has opportunities other than Football while attending Alabama.

This is the school which accepted Joe Willie Namath when his test scores and grades were not sufficiently high for Penn State or Maryland.

He’ll learn Football is a business at Alabama. Failure to perform or injury can result in loss of scholarship.

Look at the revolving door on the Head Coach’s office prior to the arrival of Coach Saban.

Good Luck