17 Comments for this article

Tags: ,

It looks like former Brunswick County Sheriff Ron Hewett will be released from prison early. Hewett is supposed to get out of federal prison on January 12th, and sent to a halfway house. That is almost two months before the end of his term. Hewett was sentenced to sixteen months in federal prison, for obstructing justice. Sources say Hewett plans to return home to Brunswick County after his release from the halfway house.

Comment on this Story

17 Comments on "Former sheriff Ron Hewett to be released early"

Guest1636
2015 years 9 months ago

No, it is because he has earned time off for good behavior. I doubt the locals you think he was protecting have much influence in the Federal courts and Federal prison system.

oicu812
2015 years 9 months ago

looks like he is getting pay back for keeping his mouth shut about some other people he could have takendown with him

Guest1636
2015 years 9 months ago

These were the first offenses he got CAUGHT committing. He’s been abusing his power for years. And by the way, the crimes he was accused of are of the same class as armed robbery. He cut a deal for his reduced sentence because it was a first offense. There was no way he was going to be able to plea it all the way down to probation on offenses this serious.

And by the way, it doesn’t suprise me you can’t count how long you’ve known him. Judging by your writing and spelling ability, you probably have to use your fingers and toes to count. If it’s over 20, you’re S.O.L.

block
2015 years 9 months ago

I’ve known Ronald for a very long time also and i strongly feel if it was me a regular brunswick county citizen who commited the same crime he would have pushed personaly to see that justice was served and i recieve a way harsher sentence then he recieved.

Guest555
2015 years 9 months ago

I could not help but reply to your stupidity. When you get robbed or raped or your children get took and the cop that shows up is DRUNK how would you like it? He was out to do a job he did not do. If he wanted to be the creep he was he should have not been in the police department. He had you all so fooled you to should bury your head in shame for backing him.
DUH!

Guest276548
2015 years 9 months ago

HE IS A NICE PERSON. IVE NONE HIM FOR ABOUGHT 20 TO 30 YEARS. ITS BEEN SO LONG I CANT COUNT.
DONT THINK HE SOULD HAVE WHENT IN THE FIRST PLACE.
WHATS WRONG WITH OUR TAX DOLLARS GOING TO A GOOD CAUSE INSTED OF THEM JUST SITTING AROUND DOING NOTHEN.
AND WHAT BETTER CAUSE THEN HELPING A FELLOW OFFICER.
RON GOOD LUCK WHEN YOU GET OUT. SORRY YOU GOT SUCH A BUM RAP.
I MEAN WHAT THEY SAID YOU DID WAS WRONG. BUT IT WAS YOUR FIRST OFFENCE.
YOU SHOULD HAVE JUST GOT PROBATION AND MABE A LITTLE COMUNITY SERVICE. OUR PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU.

Guest Commontater
2015 years 9 months ago

in this case the person that is supposed to BE focusing on the killers, rapists and other violent criminals is a criminal himself.

Kinda like putting the fox in charge of guarding the hen house isn’t it?

Guestcitizen
2015 years 9 months ago

The man did his time that the courts put upon him. He did do wrong and he payed his debt, just like so many people have. People need to start focusing on killers,rapist and other violent criminals and try to keep them in jail.

Ami333
2015 years 9 months ago

If I may be so bold as to tell you that…………….you are NUTS! You mean to tell me that child molesters, NO child rapists and murderers and drug pushers and so forth and so on should be let go free and the former sheriff that really was charged with very little should stay in prison for life and these others prisoners should be released?
Sir, I have to conclude that you are a former prisoner or are just plain NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

jailron
2015 years 9 months ago

Keep him in jail, he broke the law and he was a law enforcement officer, no, he was the top dog of law enforcement..if they let this criminal out early, they need to let everyone he has arrested out early.. KEEP HIM IN JAIL LONGER !!!

Guestcitizen
2015 years 9 months ago

Yes at one time but he is no longer the Sheriff of Brunswick County. It is now the newly appointed Sheriff and his team to do the job of protecting us citizens and the vistors of Brunswick County. Like I said he is paying his debt and will for the rest of his life. If the courts feel that he has served his time then I’m o.k. with that decision. I’m not the judge or jury, I’m only a citizen looking out for what is right.

2015 years 9 months ago

Takes one to know one. Personally he deserves to be sheriff now more than ever.

From Brunswick
2015 years 9 months ago

I know he did some bad things but he was a great Sheriff. He took alot of drugs off the streets and we needed that.

Guest1636
2015 years 9 months ago

I know he (or rather his deputies) did some good law enforcement. But he was still crooked. He broke some pretty serious state and federal laws, and he deserved to be punished, just like the criminals his department arrested.

guesttt
2015 years 9 months ago

If you see Ron ask him what a rule 35 is. That is when you give up another name to the feds to get out early. look it up in a law book or google. I bet someone is a little nervous if they had been in bed with him.

Wronged
2015 years 9 months ago

I too hope that someday Ronald will apologize to those of us whose reputations he destroyed publicaly only to cover up his illegal activities. He should have served time for all of his actions instead getting a deal. He was a good friend for many years, however, his power went to his head and thought he could do whatever he wanted no matter who it hurt.

BrunswickCountyCitizen1
2015 years 9 months ago

Not surprisingly our ex-Sheriff will be heading back to Brunswick County sooner than originally stated. At this point we can only trust that his time in prison gave him the opportunity to think about the mistakes he made and those that he hurt – often beyond repair. I pray that Ronald will find some solace in knowing that his family is here waiting for his return and he still has many supporters who will continue to tirelessly proclaim his innocence. Buf for those of us that were wronged by Ronald, I pray that he will one day find the courage to ask for forgiveness, say I’m sorry and try to make amends. Forgiveness is a difficult thing, but often it can be the most healing thing you ever do – not just for others, but for yourself.