make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Investigators try to put an end to bomb threats

READ MORE:

NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) -- New Hanover County has been plagued with a number of bomb threats in recent weeks. Some students think it's funny and a quick way to get out of class but what many don't realize is it's a felony and a waste of tax-payer's money.

New Hanover County detectives made three arrests last week for the bomb threats and made one arrest Monday after a student started a bathroom fire at Ashley High School.

Students are doing anything to get out of the classroom even if it means breaking the law.

"What'll happen is they'll have a bomb threat and they will evacuate the school so all the other kids believe they can evacuate the school also," said New Hanover County Juvenile Detective Tim Wilson. "They think it's fun and they think it's a game and it's not."

Detective Wilson said he is fed up. Not only are the bomb threats a waste of manpower for the sheriff's office but the bomb scares also waste taxpayer money.

"It's serious," said Wilson. "You'll have a lot of resources that come out and it costs the taxpayers a lot of money when we come out and evacuate the school and search the school and there's other kids that want to learn that are having to take time out of their class time to wait for the evacuation to clear so we can get the school searched so that the grounds are safe so the kids can go back to school."

Every time the county's EOD machine and deputies answer a call it costs time and money.
Students also miss out on valuable class time and learning.

"I don't know why it's happening," said Laney High School principal Al O'Briant. "It's a concern for us because we lose instructional time and the most important thing for us is to have our students in the classroom in a safe learning environment."

Reporting a bogus bomb threat is a Class H Felony and setting a bathroom fire is a Class F Felony.

Wilson said any kind of threat or action is serious. He said the troublemakers will be prosecuted. Wilson could not release the names of the three bomb threat offenders because they are juveniles but says they are in the detention center and will remain there until their court date.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.

»

I started the fire, i got of

I started the fire, i got of with 9 months probation for a class F felony, and a night at juvy. (:

Here's a thought, convict

Here's a thought, convict these students and have them pay restitution. Simply kicking them out of school isn't enough, they need to know that their actions have costs.