Family, friends remember fallen soldier as controversial group plans funeral protest

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Sun, 01/30/2011 - 1:51am

COLUMBUS COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Remembering our fallen heroes is something we hear about all too often these days. Thursday night family and friends attended a candlelight vigil in Whiteville to honor the life of a fallen soldier.

PFC Amy Bullock Sinkler of Columbus County was killed by a rocket-propelled grenade while serving her country in Afghanistan January 20. Now a religious group plans to protest at her funeral.

Sinkler’s father says she always had a passion to serve her country. The West Columbus High School graduate participated in ROTC among many other activities. Sinkler’s funeral is scheduled for Saturday at 1 p.m. at West Columbus High School in Cerro Gordo.

A press release from the Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas says the controversial church plans to protest her funeral. Westboro Baptist is known for protesting the funerals of servicemen and women by claiming their deaths are God’s punishment to America for allowing homosexuality and other sins.

Sinkler’s father Randolph Thompson says he hopes to lay his daughter to rest peacefully.

“I wouldn’t like it too much but people do have their own motto about different things,” Thompson said. “She always wanted to serve her country. She was a real outstanding person.”

Sinkler served in the Army for a year and 5 months.

WWAY tried to contact Westboro Baptist Church, but our calls were not returned.

Thank you for your service and sacrifice to our country. Please don’t let the nuts from Westboro Baptist Church get to you, they are just idiots.

• cintrek says:

Unfortunately our men/women of the military fight/die for our freedom of speech so these people can protest for their stupid beliefs. They are surely not Christians. A Christian is someone who continuously shows & expresses God’s love to ALL. I was raised a southern baptist to believe in God’s love, he love’s everyone without discrimination & when we ask him to be our Lord & Savior then we will be accepted unto him no exceptions. Let’s pray for PFC Sinkler’s family that God IS there for them, loves them & taking excellent care of Amy and to pray for the folks who are protesting at the funeral to rethink what they’re doing, feel God’s love & express that to the family.

• Guestheretoday says:

Thank you Amy serving our country. Thoughts and prayers for your family.

• ImmediateSuppression says:

If any of you out there would like to join me in a counter-protest in support and respect for Pvt Sinkler’s dedication and honorable service to her community and family, then please feel free to join me. Hopefully, together, we can allow her to be put to rest with the dignity she deserves.

• Suzanne says:

This radical cult needs to leave these people alone.They call there self a church,there nothing but a bunch of radical nut jobs that has nothing no better to do but try to up set grieving families.I really hope this family can lay her at rest peacefully like they ask.I want to thank her family for her service in the Army.She is a hero in my eyes and heart and all the others that has sacrifice there life for our freedom.There is a time and place for everything,but to protest at a funeral that so disrespectful.If this was a true, caring,giving church they would be out there helping,holding this family up in the time of there grief not trying to upset them more that what they are now.Mr Thompson and Family, So sorry for your loss.I prey your daughter gets to be laid to rest in peace and with the respect and honor she deserves.

This is just plain wrong. It will be hard enough for family and friends to deal with laying their loved one to rest.

This shows nothing but lack of compassion.

• Guest says:

“Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas says the controversial church plans to protest her funeral. Westboro Baptist is known for protesting the funerals of servicemen and women by claiming their deaths are God’s punishment to America for allowing homosexuality and other sins.” First and formost….a funeral is a service honoring the life that was lived. Not the “lives of others.” This young woman served her country so that people like this could have their say. HER LIFE is being honored, NOT the people she served for. There are only 2 days in one’s life-time that actually count whole-heartly as theirs. Their birth & their death days. Leave this woman in peace, her family has suffered enough. I pray for the family and will keep them in my heart. As for the church group, it is not for you to pass judgement. If you were “truely a christian” you would not attend this service to protest, but to honor her courage for the service she provided of allowing you to have freedom of speech to believe in that sort of crap. As for the community, I believe they should offer a free service of protecting her funeral against the protestors for the family of the deseased. It is hard enough to loose the life of your child, let alone tarnish the only oppertunity to honor her selfless act. Honeslty I hope the church protestors get a huge slap in the face from God when their judgement day comes around.

• meansucks says:

is there anything that we can do to prevent the family from being subjected to this? can we gather in front of the westboro clowns? pretty sure we would have to get a permit too. or what about doing like that one town did and take up all of the parking spaces. i just dont like sitting here and allowing these people to be so disrespectful to a fallen soldier or any other human being.

• Valerie Kinzie says:

God bless this woman and her family. Thank you for risking and giving your life so that we may be free. As far as this so called church, they preach hate, and I for one have no tolerance for their behavior. I pray that this family lays her body to rest in peace, so they may begin the healing process.

• GuestinWilmington says:

Dear Mr. Thompson,

First of all I would like to express my heartfelt condolences for your loss. I would also like to tell you that we are proud of your daughter and honor her sacrifice. Please know that we pray for you and your family.

I find it utterly disgusting that anyone would choose to be so disrespectful to your and your family and to be so disrpectful in the name of God. We are to seek Jesus in everyone we meet. We are told to love one another not to conditionally love or approve of another. We are not to rejoice in the sorrow of another or to judge one another. Judgment should be left to the only one capable of doing so and that is God.

• Guestpridgen says:

Thank you for serving our country. I am sadden by the lose of your life. May God Bless and Keep you. Thank you to your family for having such a wonderful daughter who cared for all our lives. God Bless.

She is a soldier in God’s Army now!!

God I ask that you lay your comforting arms around her family and friends and bless them with strength and perseverance!

Amen!

• Guest says:

I hate to predict violence, especially at a solemn military funeral, but these whackoes are really “cruisin’ for a bruisen’ “. I fear that somewhere down the road, enough people are going to get fed up with these disrespectful illiterate nuts and turn baseball bats or guns on them. When it happens, I can’t say I really blame the people who deal them some “frontier justice”. Enough is enough. When your so-called “rights” start infringing on other peoples’ rights, then look out.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

On a far more important note, I thank the family for raising such a fine daughter, who selflessly gave all in service to her country.

• Unicornpookie says:

AMEN to you, ndfan83. While our hearts hurt and go out to the familiew, however, there should be more we can do. God does look down on them and disagrees with all the disrespectful people that are doing this. Soldiers, not just the U.S.’s, have died defending our/their country. We can only pray, and pray hard, for God to forgive those that “bash” their names. Thank you.

• Guest says:

This woman has a family that is trying to put her to rest. She has served our country and paid the highest sacrifice ever asked of a soldier. Why put her family through the drama of a protest instead of giving them the respect that she deserves? Disgusting! No where in this article is there a mention of her sexuality or any sin that she might have committed. Protest the government and what it stands for; that is your right and she gave her life in defense of your rights. Her family has earned the right to peace on a day they have to honor her. No I am not a member of this family but I am one of the many; thankful to a soldier!

• Guest says:

I Pray for her and her family and even for the people who make think im going to hell for praying but i just wanna find any way possable to keep this from happening anyone with any ideas feel free to email me ndfan83@aol.com

• notAdvocatingEither says:

“…and the Westboro pack of buffoons will pay a severe price. I’m certainly not advocating violence against them, but if I was there when it happened I would do NOTHING to stop it.”

I hear you, hopefully a natural disaster will strike their home town while they are out protesting. Then they can protest themselves, because surely god wouldn’t punish someone or a group of people for doing his work, right??? All we can do is hope that misery will befall each one of those protester’s and the rest of the country will respond with the same kindness they have shown to all of our fallen soldiers.

• Guestinwilmington says:

Yes we should show up and support this family and “block” these freaks from being seen. Bigotry has no place in heaven

• Guest says:

Time for the community to stand up to this group… here’s what the community did back home in MD when ‘that group’ planned to protest a fallen marine’s funeral.

• Abby says:

If you are a protesting this or any other soldiers funeral you are so unamerican! They have given the ultimate sacrifice fighting for our country and freedom and this is how heartless you are? I hope all the protestors rot to death!

People like you make me sick.

• Guest says:

We need to get everyone together to head to the funeral to offset this horrible Westboro Baptist Church. They are NOT christians. Please, everyone try to go tomorrow, bring your signs and lets offset these people and let this family lay their daughter to rest in peace.

• Guest says:

The organization that styles itself as the “Westboro Baptist Church” has been disavowed by the Southern Baptist Convention and several other mainstream Baptist organizations.

The SBC position is stated here: http://www.sbc.net/aboutus/faqs.asp#20

There are veteran’s groups that monitor the activities of the Phelps Inbred Church closely and I have all confidence that they will be out in force to preserve the dignity and solemnity of the funeral services for this woman who died in the service of our country.

• Gratefull American says:

First, I never knew Amy. But this young woman had a purpose.
    In these days and times, very few young people can say that.

She made the ultimate sacrifice for me, you, and millions that never knew her.

These Westboro lunatics are really a bunch of dried up humanity.

I think Gov. Perdue should send the State Patrol to make sure they are not carrying anything which could be contraband. (I just want the State boys to go over every piece of paperwork, safety items, lights, tires, anything that they could be fined or jailed for.) Maybe the Agriculture Dept could make sure there are no plants or dangerous insects that could hurt NC’s farm industry.

Please Gov Perdue, and Mr. Goolsby, craft some piece of legislation that would protect a future hero and family from these walking, talking sewer rats.

Anything to delay, these hate-spewing losers, hopefully long enough for the family of Ms Amy to say goodbye to her.

The publicity driven church probably won’t even show up. We’re sick of the “love” coming from this bunch of misfits.

Thank you Ms Amy for giving us continuing freedom, and thank her family for the guidance and love it took to instill the values that made her a true HERO.

• Guest says:

There is a group dedicated to protect families from these idiots and others like them. They are called The Patriot Guard Riders.

I am not a member yet, and I hope it is OK to post this here.

PFC Amy Bullock Sinkler, friends and family – you will be in my thoughts today.

The following is from the mission statement on the website:

Our main mission is to attend the funeral services of fallen American heroes as invited guests of the family. Each mission we undertake has two basic objectives:

1. Show our sincere respect for our fallen heroes, their families, and their communities.
    2. Shield the mourning family and their friends from interruptions created by any protestor or group of protestors.

We accomplish the latter through strictly legal and non-violent means.

To those of you who are currently serving and fighting for the freedoms of others, at home and abroad, please know that we are backing you. We honor and support you with every mission we carry out, and we are praying for a safe return home for all

• Carol Cox says:

This is so disgraceful that a family cannot lay their child to rest peacefully. This does not sound like a Godly religion to me at all. To the family, I am so sorry for your heartache and pain. I hope this “group” changes their plans.
    C. Cox Whiteville NC

• Guest says:

thank you all for coming to show your respect for the sacrifice PFC Sinkler and her family made. She is a true hero, may she rest in peace. As a member of just one of the Fire and Rescue Departments who was there in support of her, may you continue to keep up the faith.Prayers and sympathy to all her family and her many friends.

• Guest1903 says:

it is disgusting to even consider interrupting and protesting a funeral much less than actually doin g it ,don’t these people have any shame ?

how would they feel if someone was waving a sign around when they are trying to lay one of there loved ones to rest and trying to deal with the loss.

• anne says:

My heart goes out to the family. You have lost a precious loved one – she wanted to serve her country and she did. May all the wonderful memories you have of her comfort and bless you.

As for the group planning the protest, I am a Christian and I can tell you they do not represent my God. They are a fringe group with their own agenda led by a man who is no more of God than satan is. They have their own form of terrorism.

For the community, if this group shows up, I hope that you will form a line between them and the church where the funeral will be and show them that their behavior will not be tolerated. Do it peacefully – don’t lower your self to their level – but protect the family and friends of this young lady.

• Rosegarden says:

First of all, I would like to thank PFC Amy Bullock Sinkler for giving her life for her country.
    Secondly, I would like to give my condolences to her family.
    Then I would like to know who could show up at a funeral, causing chaos and more pain to an already grieving family, and still claim to be a Christian?????? I know atheists, pagans, muslims, and REAL Christians who would never be so crude and hateful.
    With the family’s permission, I would like to come and stand between, so that they may grieve in peace for their loved one. I would hope that many people from our area would do the same. No conflict or confrontation, just stand in between. I have a lot to do on Saturday, like every one else, but I can’t think of one thing more important to do that day.

• Guest says:

Let it be about honoring Sinkler’s life and service. Don’t give coverage to a few misguided souls who need to know and show the love of Christ. I pray comfort for her family and loved ones.

• Pat Kern says:

To all turn American’s need to stand up and put a stop to Funeral Protesting. All Vet’s, friend’s, and family’s need to show up and stand up to creates a Barricade were the family can have some peace, but only do it in a peaceful. It’s time for use to stand up to our goverment to put a stop to this. GOD BLESS YOU PFC Amy Bullock Sinkler for your serving her country.

• Pat Kern says:

• Pat Kern says:

• Guest says:

When this group shows up to protest the funeral of a black hero in Columbus County, whoa!