FIRST ON 3 UPDATE: Family of four killed in crash with Brunswick Co. school bus

Tags: ,

Submitted: Wed, 03/09/2011 - 4:59am
Updated: Thu, 03/10/2011 - 4:38pm

ASH, NC (WWAY) — Highway Patrol says four people were killed in a head-on crash Tuesday afternoon in northern Brunswick County. All four were in the car that hit a school bus.

The driver was 31-year-old Joshua Williams. Brandy Nichole Williams, who was 30, was also in the car along with their two children, 6-year-old Gavin Lee Williams and 9-year-old Joshua Kendall Williams.

The victims lived in the area on Green Swamp Road (Highway 211).

It happened on Camp Branch Road off NC 211. Highway Patrol says speeding was likely a factor and that the driver of the car was at fault. Investigators say the crash happened in a 55 mph zone in a curve.

Brunswick County emergency management says the driver of the bus, which was carrying students from Waccamaw School in Ash, was taken to the hospital to be treated for minor injuries. Highway Patrol says one student on the bus was also treated for injuries.

• Guest says:

I can’t believe how many people find it so easy to make negative comments when these things happen. Reading the details, it shows that the vehicles were going around a curve when the accident happened. A driver doesn’t necessarily have to be speeding to lose control of a car on a curve, even if not terribly sharp. In fact, a driver can lose control on a curve going exactly the speed limit in dry, sunny weather. And yes, this is coming from experience. My point anyway, is that the commentators who are nitpicking about what they think happened should really evaluate the important part of what happened. Senseless accidents happen, and what happened to this family isn’t exactly something that can be reversed. Just use a little logic and realize that quite a few people who were part of this family’s life are suffering right now. I really hope their family and friends can find some peace during this time and support each other through their grief.

• Guest says:

regardless if they were wearing seat belts or not, by the way the car looks it was there time to go. I loved them very much. The entire family was full of life. Brandy and Josh were good people and loved there children Kendell and Gavin very very much. There in a better place then we are. There flying high in the sky with beautiful wings and looking down keeping people safe. they are were they are ment to be right now, and i dont think wearing a seatbelt was going to change anything.

And thank you everyone for your condolences.

• Guest says:

You make it seem as if this father was just so irresponsable, We werent with them at that the time so none of us know what was going on or what exactly happened. We go based on reports and they may not always be right. You shouldnt judge people just because you think your so perfect with your children. Everyone makes mistakes, even you. Thoughts and Prayers are with the family

• Put this on Rant says:

This is to the brilliant engineer of the “RANT” portion of WWAY where they find it appropriate to post the comments that are posted on here. THAT IS NOT NEWS. I felt disgusted when I read them online, and ten times more so when I saw they were being validated by being broadcasted on TV. I happened to be watching with 2 young boys, who both go to Waccamaw, and had to turn it off as they were visibly upset with what was being speculated by people who are absolutely not in any position to do so. Very poor taste WWAY. To speculate they were texting, speeding, irresponsible, or any other judgmental opinions is shameful. To profit from it as WWAY has and does regularly is even worse.

And if you want more evidence of what I’m talking about, look at the coverage that girl fight received from the local media. Great job being the first to broadcast violent behavior. Hope you win an award.

I don’t think I am perfect with my children, I know I strive when driving a car to be. No I am not going to cross the center lane. Read again. You may want to watch your driving if you make those kinds of mistakes.

• Guest says:

THIS FAMILY WAS FRIENDS OF MINE AN MY PRAYERS REACH OUT TO THERE FAMILY………..BRANDI WAS A VERY SWEET STRONG MINDED WOMEN AND THEM KIDS WAS THERE WORLD ITS SAD SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENED U NEVER KNOW WHEN SOMETHING BAD LIKE THIS WILL HAPPEN TO U SO EVEN IF U MAD OR FIGHTING WITH FRIENDS AN FAMILY ALWAYS MAKE SURE U SAY I LOVE U…….U NOT PROMISED 2MORO……AN U MIGHT NEVER GET DA CHANCE TO SAY IT OR EVEN SAY THANKS FOR BEING A FRIEND WHEN OTHERS WASNT

• Guest says:

OMG!! You need help!! Quit worrying about a seat belt at a time like this Brandy was a good friend of mine and you have the nerve to put something like this up here and futher more was you in the car with them NO so how do you know that the father was speeding…..You need a hobby! R.I.P Brandy,Josh and those precious boys of yours

• Guest says:

Did Brandy or her husband have a facebook page?

• Guest says:

This is such a tragedy! My thoughts and prayers are with each of their family members and friends. May God give you comfort and peace through it all. Heaven just received 4 more angels!

• Guest says:

I realize everyone has an opinion but in a time like this you should really just keep them to yourself. I am a student at Waccamaw and this happened 2 weeks to the day that my friend died. And almost around the same time. You shouldn’t be fighting over stupid stuff like this. Just pray and help out the relatives if they need it(which they most likely will). After reading these post I feel more grown than most of you. Just pray is all you can do because nothing will bring them back. You will be miss Jousha, Brandi, Gavin, and Jousha Kendall.

• iluvugavin and kendell says:

they rode my bus and they were great we laughed and i would see my couzin and gavin play and the next day when i didnt see them it was like a part of my hear missing i love u kendell and gavin.

I have read the comments people have wrote. Seatbelts….no seatbelts and so on. I am a mom and I will tell you when my children and or family are in the car with me and I am driving I AM responsible for all of them. I go slow on turns and watch the road! I don’t speed because the very sounds of them talking in the car remind me their very lives are in my hands. I don’t know what this dad was doing, we may never know but it is a horrible thing to have happened. Think of those children who had complete faith in their dad to keep them safe.My condolences to their family AND to the bus driver and the child that was with her. They now have to live with someones mistake the rest of their lives and it was not their fault.

• Guest says:

I am so sad to read this horrible news, a whole family lost, what a tragedy, God help those left behind to deal with their loss.

• Guestamuffin says:

A terrible tragedy.

If the family were not wearing seat belts, the media need to report this.

• Guest says:

Whether these people were wearing a seat belt is a mute point at this time. Now we should say a prayer for them and keep them in your thoughts. . . Not find more fault with them or beat the family down. I don’t know any of these people but my sincere sympathy goes out to their family, the bus driver and the student. This is a tragic accident that will affect a lot of folks. So very sad.

• lizzi says:

I have to disagree with the person who thinks the media should have reported if the victims were wearing set belts. Honestly, that is just being plain noisey. We all know we should wear seat belts. Why add insult to the family. Just express your condolences and sympathy to the family, and pray to God to watch over them.

• Guest says:

Stop being so worried about what the media SHOULD report and get a grip…an entire family was killed, as well as, others injured. Maybe you should be praying for the family and friends of these victims instead of trying to find something the victims DID WRONG…

I myself will be praying for the friends and family members of these victims. I could only imagine how they feel right about now.

• Guest says:

these people died and your worry about a freaken seat beat!!! really?!? Have a Heart!

• Condolences says:

Really it does not matter if they were wearing thier seatbelts, and I am not sure why you feel this should be told to the public. What has happened has occured and it is a tragedy and the last thing family and friends want to see is a debate on WWAY about if they had thier seatbelts on or not. I understand where you are coming from with the inquiry so that sealtbelt use can be promoted to avoid potential tragedy, but you didn’t even offer condolences. Your only comment was that it needs to be reported if they had on seatbelts, honestly, now is not the right time for that. I offer my deepest condolences to this family and friends of this family, I know how heavy your heart must feel. I pray that you are able to find some kind of comfort in your time of grievence.

An accident involving a head-on collision with a massive school bus on a 55 mph highway is devastating. Seat belts are essentially useless and ineffective in an accident of this magnitude. My full condolances to the family and friends of these poor souls that lost their lives.

• Guest says:

I think that them reporting if they were or were not wearing seatbelts is quite frankly none of our business, this family has enough to worry about then the media and people critizing them for something. Thoughts and prayers are with this family.

• concernedparent says:

What difference would it make if the family was or was not wearing seat belts????? They lost their lives end of story……such a tragedy. Why do you think it is any of your business if they were wearing seat belts? After looking at the pictures of the accident I don’t think they would have survived the crash either way. I send out prayers to the family for their terrible loss. Also for the Waccamaw School family who are dealing with the loss of 2 more children. It’s only been 2 weeks since the terrible accident of David Purifoy. My children attend Waccamaw and it really hits home with such a tight knit small community.

Really, People?
    seatbelts? come on… did you see the picture of the car? At that speed and hitting head on with a school bus, it wouldn’t really matter if they were wearing seatbelts or not. no reason to even go there with that statement, just pray for these peoples poor families! God bless!

• guest51773 says:

Of course we should all wear seatbelts while driving or riding in cars. But in an accident of this magnitude, those seatbelts likely would not have made any difference. I hit a tree at 55 mph back in 2003 after someone ran me off of I-40. I was wearing my seatbelt, but that seatbelt sure didn’t protect my neck and head!

My heart goes out to this family. There are no words to express how saddened I am by this tragic event. All those affected have my deepest condolences and I will continue to keep this family in my thoughts and prayers.

• With Condolence says:

I, along with my co-workers, were so saddened to hear of this tragic accident. Please keep this family in your thoughts and prayers. We are so sorry that these precious lives ended so quickly.

• Guest says:

Add my prayers for this family. Truly a tragedy.

• fellowdriver says:

We are all reminded in such tragic ways how precious each and every moment is … I hope our prayers can be of comfort for the family …

• Kay says:

My prayers and thoughts go out to all involved in the tragic wreck tuesday evening in Brunswick County.I’m so soory this had happened to your families.PLEASE some one post pictures of the family on here of those that lives were lost.Alot of times ppl know ppl by face and not names Thank You and again I am sooo sorry!!

• Guest says:

Our family sends our condolences to the family! It’s going to be so hard to get through this in the days to come!! Just remember God is only a prayer away!!

• watchyoursix says:

this is a sad & cautionary tale for all of you out there. New Hanover & Brunswick counties are replete with the most aggressive & overconfident drivers I’ve ever seen. This tragedy was needless, all of YOU: CALM DOWN & SLOW DOWN WHEN YOU’RE DRIVING!

• Guest says:

It’s true, NHC and Brunswick are crawling with speeders. SLOW DOWN FOLKS! Speeding will kill you or someone else. How many out there notice this? Isn’t it extremely noticeable? It is to me. Again, SLOW DOWN!

• Guest says:

He was my son and the father of my grandchildren. Your comments are very hurtfull to us. Please show some respect because I have driven that road and speed limit, seat belts, whatever, that road is an accident waiting to happen. Please get off your sooap box.

My sons name was STEED.

• Grand Ole Party says:

I suspect it is not merely a coincidence that your middle name is ignorant.

• Kirby Williams says:

My name is Kirby Williams. I am Josh sister, Brandy’s sister-in-law, and the boys’ aunt. First off, my brother’s middle name is Steed, not Speed. Who do you think you are to judge him? Last time I checked, ultimately we only have one judge and his name is God!!! You need to get the facts before you start talking about things you obviously know nothing about. Only the blessed souls in the vehicle and God know what REALLY happened….so on behalf of the Williams and Rising families, I am asking you from the bottom of my heart to please keep the negative comments to yourself. Nothing can be said or done to bring them back but we sure don’t want to disgrace their memory. You obviously have no respect. I do, however, want to thank everyone else for helping me stand up for them. That should be the last thing that I have to do right now but unfortunately some people have no ettiquite.

• Guestathon says:

The father was speeding. This in itself is reckless. Furthermore, if the family were not wearing seatbelts, this would also have contributed to their deaths.

This is a horrible tragedy, and I send my condolences to friends and relatives.

But it is important to know if the family were wearing seatbelts, because, as we all know, or should know, seatbelts save lives.

• Grand Ole Party says:

You have yet to explain why you need to know if they were wearing seatbelts. How in any way will this assist you? Really it is none of your buisness. None. How do you know not wearing seatbelts in this case would contribute to their deaths? Did you investigate the accident? I didn’t think so. Just another moron with nothing to do for the week.

• Guest says:

You obviously are eaten up with the desire to further hurt this family. You need a job, a hobby or more importantly, therapy to rid yourself of your antagonistic attitude. Please stop your self righteous soap box rants and give the family some respect. This is not about seat belts. . it’s about a family who all lost their lives in a split second. Please stop responding on this site. It’s for condolences and words of encouragement for the family. If you feel the need to run your mouth contact the man who does the Rant. He’s got your mentality and you two should have an interesting conversation.

• Guestathon says:

It is important for me to know and the public to know because the father was speeding. How far over the speed limit was he driving?

Instead of the school bus, it could have been me since I travel this road regularly.

All of you who are so sure that seatbelts would not have saved at least some of their lives are merely guessing. I’ll wait for an expert’s opinion.

Again, I express my sincere sympathy to the families and friends of the Williams’ family for this horrific tragedy.

But we must examine the truth of the matter. I suspect it is not merely a coincidence that the father’s middle name is “Speed.”

• Guest says:

I find it funny how you are so obsessed with knowing if these people had seatbelts, It doesnt matter one way or another they are no longer with us, why dont you just leave it be. Second note seatbelts dont always save lives so weather or not they had them is of no importance. Why dont you find something better to do, my thoughts and prayers are with thier families.

• Guest says:

how do you know that the father was speeding if you wern’t there?

• Student says:

Even if they had a seat belt on, it wouldn’t have made a difference obviously. Have you looked at the picture?? You should respect them and not worry about wearing a seat belt.

• Guest says:

The cop’s said it was a likely factor on why it even happened. Don’t argue over something as stupid as seatbelts or speeding and just keep the relatives of the family in your prayers. Just imagine what the family would feel like if they came on here and seee you people worrying about stupid messs instead of feeling sorrow and praying for them.

From the story: “Highway Patrol says speeding was likely a factor and that the driver of the car was at fault.”

• Guest says:

Shame on everyone who had the nerve to say something about seat belts! This family is greiving the loss of four, very loved people! How would you feel if this had been your family and you pulled up the report and saw comments such as these! Seat belts take lives as well as save lives. Nothing in the world is fool proof. God bless the family and friends, I am from Ash and am in disbelief that people would say such things.

• Guest says:

YES the boys were wearing their seatbelts and actually Josh was driving 60 in a 55 on a road he drove daily. Those boys were their world. Not many people can honestly say they have never gone a couple miles over the speed limit. This is enough to deal with without people being ignorant and trying to put the blame on someone. Seatbelts dont always save lives as we can see in this instance we are just thankful they didnt have to suffer!!!!!!

Folks, I feel so sorry for the family……
    PLEASE THINK…
    Bus traveling 45+ or so gets hit head-on with another vechile going at 55 (or more), MPH..
    Add those 2 numbers together, and were talking 100+ MPH.
    Seat Belts or NOT this Family had NO CHANCE…
    Remember; Adam Petty, was going about the same speed, at New Hampshire Speedway, wearing a seatbelt/Harness,Helmet and safety gear, yet; HE is no longer with us..
    PRAYERS to the Family….

This story is so sad, but trust the family is in a better place which we will never comprehend until we get there..they are all sitting at Jesus table breaking bread with him..for those left behind, please take comfort in knowing they are at peace and look for Jesus for Strength!

Since it could have been anyone on the road that this car hit instead of a bus, I feel that it is definitely the business of everyone who shared the highway with this person whether or not any or all were wearing their seatbelts. Were any of the kids supposed to be in a car seat? If so, were they? The “other” tv station has found that the driver had a DWI conviction (posted on their website). Was alcohol a factor,as well? We have a right to know.

• Guest says:

you have the right to know NOTHING, your right is to know that my Family members are gone, and they wont be on “YOUR” road anymore~

• Guest says:

I’m soo sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you, what a horrible thing to endure, may God help you through this painful time in your life, again, soo sorry.