9 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — If you’re struggling to pay your water bill in Wilmington and New Hanover County, the Cape Fear Public Utility Authority may be able to help.

The utility has teamed up with the United Way and the Salvation Army to help people in the community who are experiencing financial difficulties. The CFPUA Assist program will take donations from the community to help pay water bills for customers who may not be able to make payments.

CFPUA spokeswoman Carey Ricks says this is a great way to pay it forward.

“CFPUA employees actually have contributed over $3,000 to the program just from their personal accounts,” she said. “So we hope to see some success in the community and get this thing started and provide some assistance with some customers’ needs.”

If you would like to learn more about the program, how you can donate, or if you are eligible, log on http://www.cfpua.org/index.aspx?nid=425.

Comment on this Story

9 Comments on "CFPUA offers help for customers in need"

Guest
2015 years 9 months ago

People wouldnt need help if CFPUA didnt keep raising thier rates to cover “budget”.

GuestLee
2015 years 9 months ago

No offense, but how would CFPUA know you are conserving water? Maybe they think your crowd just takes more showers than your neighbors, or perhaps you water your flowers or wash your cars more. They have no way to know, so they charge based on the number of gallons used by each household. They don’t have the time or personnel to compare everyone’s rates to their neighbors, and if they did it for you, they have to do it for everyone.

Guest7969
2015 years 9 months ago

SAYS they are for CONSERVATION..but they SURELY AREN’T…if they were they would take into account the number of people residing in a home…say I use 10,000 gallons of water for my family of four…and my neighbor with his live in girlfriend use 10,000 gallons as well….I am CONSERVING water…yet get no credit for it.

Guest Aquaman
2015 years 9 months ago

No one should be subsidized or receive water below cost. CFPUA should adopt flat, per unit pricing, the same as most electric, natural gas, and water utilities do.

Everyone should pay the exact same rate for their water, and their bill should be based solely on how many gallons have been used. This multiple tier crap is nonsense. There’s no way that I should pay more so that the guy down the street can pay less.

This isn’t Cuba or North Korea.

Guest
2015 years 9 months ago

I THINK MORE PEOPLE WOULD NOT NEED AS MUCH HELP IF CFPUA WAS NOT AS EXPENSIVE AS THEY ARE. YOU CANNOT SAVE EVEN IF YOU TRY TO CONSERVE AS THE BILLS ALWAYS STAY THE SAME EVEN WHEN YOU DO EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO SAVE. MY BILL HAS STAYED THE SAME AMOUNT EVEN WHEN I WAS NOT IN MY HOME FOR 5 MONTHS DUE TO AN ILLNESS. MY BILL NEVER CHANGED, SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE AS ALL OTHER UTILITIES WENT LOWER EXCEPT FOR THIS.I FEEL THEY NEED TO CHANGE AND IT WOULD HELP PEOPLE TO BE ABLE TO PAY THEIR OWN BILL.IT IS BAD FOR ONES ON A FIXED INCOME.

Local yokel
2015 years 9 months ago

I do not see why those that use none or do not use much water have to pay such large bills.
Conserving does not pay. You gain nothing by conserving.

WilmMan
2015 years 9 months ago

Well, if CFPUA didn’t raise their rates to cover that huge raise they gave their top man, people would have less trouble covering their bills

Guest7969
2015 years 9 months ago

I have never understood why we are charged for water consumed that goes into the sewer not needing treatment. Of course a change would mean EVERY home would need to upgrade their plumbing. The answer would be to have grey water go into a holding tank to be used for irrigation and if its filtered…for washing cars, ect…that would put only black water into the sewage system that you would be charged for. People in Floria use those types of systems to save water for irrigation. It’s stupid to number one have the consumer charged for water going into the sewage system not needing treatment…and REALLY WASTEFUL for the water treatment plant to treat water that isn’t needed to be treated…imagine most or ALL of your bath water, sink water going into a holding tank and only the toilets and I think clothes washers going into the sewer…

GuestLee
2015 years 9 months ago

I’m going to start buying water in a jug from the grocery store for drinking water. It’s only around $1.00 a jug, which is pretty cheap compared to CFPUA prices (plus you don’t have to pay sewer charges on it). Then I’ll just use CFPUA water to bathe. I’ll see if that makes a difference.