WFD: Cigarette sparked fire that destroyed house

Tags: , ,

Submitted: Mon, 03/21/2011 - 8:00pm
Updated: Mon, 03/21/2011 - 8:01pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The Wilmington Fire Department says a cigarette is to blame for a weekend house fire. The fire broke out Saturday morning at 629 Woodlawn Avenue.

Investigators say it started with a cigarette smoldering in a recliner in the living room.

The house is a total loss leaving the two men who lived there without a place to stay. They’re getting help from the Red Cross.

One of the victims says his dog woke him up, perhaps saving his life.

• Sean says:

I just wanted to clear up that very mis-construed article, blaming a cigarette. I am very grateful to still be alive and been treating the dog like a queen. Now she wont even touch her dog food haha. I would also like to thank everyone that has helped us with places to sleep and some clothes.

• Das Weibstück says:

You should know seems you were there !! Anyway, It doesn’t matter where or how it started the important thing is no one died!! You are a lucky man with a really great dog, buy it a big steak :)

• Sean says:

I was the victim in the house when fire started. I walked thru the living room into the dining room to where I seen the smoke and flames. I would really like to know how the conclusion says started in the living room when I clearly walked thru it not on fire? I might also add the living room is where I had to run back into get my phone and was filled with smoke, not fire.

• Guest says:

Some posters are so judgmental and have no empathy for others. Glad you and your roommate are safe.

• Sean says:

Just heard that insurance inspector found the fire to of sparked and started between the Fridge & Microwave in the kitchen. Exactly where I seen the flames and smoke, when I was awoke by my dog and walked around, through the un-burning living room, to see what was going on!!

so are you going to stop smoking now?

• Guest says:

Your alive that’s what matters! I lost my mom last September due to a fire in her apartment. Your very lucky and have a second chance at life now. I wish my mom had of got that chance. But
    every thing happens for a reason and we just have to accept that and move on. So put this all behind you and just try to keep smiling.

• Guest says:

WHEN ARE PEOPLE GONNA LEARN? I DON’T GET IT. CIGARETTES CAUSE SO MUCH HEARTACHE. WAKE UP PEOPLE.