WWAY NewsChannel 3 welcomes George Elliott back to Wilmington TV

Tags: , ,

Submitted: Mon, 03/21/2011 - 8:46pm By:

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) -– After two years away from his adopted home, George Elliott is back in Wilmington and back on TV at WWAY NewsChannel 3.

“I’m really excited,” Elliott said. “I missed Wilmington. I moved to Kentucky to be near my brother. That was nice, but I realized this was home, so I moved back. I’m really grateful to WWAY for giving me the chance to get back to doing something I love: being part of this incredible community.”

Elliott spent 14 years on TV in the Port City before moving on at the end of 2008. During his time in Wilmington he created a very loyal following, evidenced by the comments WWAY has received during a recent “Coming soon…” promotional campaign, which never showed his face, but gave viewers a hint with his silhouette and trademark peace sign. Many viewers quickly figured out it was him and said they were happy about his return.

“Everywhere I went people told me how excited they were that I was coming back, which was really nice, but I had to kinda play coy with them,” Elliott said. “I’m glad now I can finally talk to them about it.”

Elliott is, of course, best known in the area for his work as a meteorologist. And while he will from time to time add his expertise to the WWAY StormTrack 3 Weather Team, his main duties will be representing WWAY in the community through his “Live with George” segments around the region.

“We have a great news team and a great weather team in place. George’s presence and personality are the icing on the cake,” WWAY News Director Scott Pickey said. “You simply cannot dispute his power to draw people in, and that’s very exciting to us as we continue to work to grow our product and audience. We’re also excited to help George get back to work in the place he loves. It’s a win-win.”

• Guest says:

Great news. It’ll be great to have George back. Thanks!!!!

• Guest says:

I hope it isn’t who it appears to be! I didn’t like him on channel 6, and don’t feel he’ll fit in with the great crew on WWAY. Why mess with a good thing. Hopefully, if it is him, he’ll be the morning weatherman and leave Jerry where he is!!!!!!! I believe in the adage “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

• Guest says:

GEORGE ELLIOT IS COMING TO WWAY…..OKAY WECT READ IT AND WEEP. I WONDER IF FRAN LIKES ALL THIS NEGATIVE FEEDBACK ON WEDT. WELCOME GEORGE, JUST TRY SOME NEW JOKES THIS GO AROUND!

• blossom958 says:

George is obnoxious and he actually thinks his joking around is funny—-never saw anyone else laughing. We need to stop fixing what is not broken—-WWAY has a fantastic news/weather group. I never go to Channel 6 for anything any more because it is the same old faces in the news room—-old ideas and people mispronouncing words. So whay is WWAY going with someone who does not bring a fresh prospective to the airways???? SAY IT AIN’T SO!!!!

• JoAnn Dixon says:

WELCOMING BACK
    GEORGE E!!!!!!!!!

• teacherturnednurse says:

I sure hope it is George! WECT has gone down hill in so many areas….I don’t know why I continue to watch. If it is George at WWAY, my TV channel will be changing for sure!

• Guest says:

I will be standing outside your station with my SAVE JERRY poster if that happens!! Love you Jerry!!

• Guest says:

Really?!! He was always so accurate!

• Guest says:

WHAAA?? Wait, you mean they AREN’T the same person?????????????????????

• barbara collins says:

Glad to see George joining the WWAY team, is my favorite Jerry Jackson going to still be the weather man????? I sure hope so..Been watching Jerry, from day one!!!

• Office Fan says:

I can’t tell you how excited I am by this announcement. You can consider me one WECT loyal follower who will be switching to WWAY because of George. I love the guy, glad to see him back in town!! Welcome back George!

• blossom958 says:

I thought WWAY had finally gotten rid of the “peace sign.” Didn’t like him. He was not funny and his voice was irritating. Why would WWAY mess with the best weather/news in the area. Bad choice!!!

• Guest from Col Co says:

I sure hope it is George! I have missed seeing him on the news! Finally, some accurate weather forecasting! There is no one better than George!!

• Jonathan says:

Welcome back GE! Our family can’t wait to see back on the television.

• Guest says:

Thank you, Jesus. Prayers are answered. Welcome back home! I don’t normally watch WWAY but I will now.

• Guest says:

JERRY! JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!

• Guest says:

Neither my husband or myself can stand to hear this guy talk. You can hardly understand what he is saying and his jokes are so corney it is pathetic. I will be switching to the competition. I don’t know why WWAY keeps changing things for the worst!

• Guestjoe says:

Way to go George Elliot !

YEA GEORGE!!! I am SO thankful that he will be back!

• Guest says:

Folks: if indeed it is George, where does it say he’ll be doing weather? WWAY has a very talented team of meteorologists in place now. Chris came back to the station to do something completely different. Maybe George, if it is George, will too?

• Eddie223 says:

Tacky!

This word says it all when describing George.

• Can't believe says:

Just when you thought it was safe to turn on the television.

Why, why, why?

If WWAY wanted to change something with the weather dept, why not juice up the radar and weather software?

That would have been money well spent!

• Guest says:

I have to agree with the person who commented about WECT going downhill. I’m really tired of the same ole same ole. They need a major shake up, new faces and the station manager needs to shut up. His my turn. . your turn is almost agressive and you never hear ‘your turn’ responses. WWAY has really improved in every aspect and it is enjoyable to watch them. The fact that George is coming back, in what ever capacity, is refreshing and I am anxious to see him again. Good choice.

• Guest says:

I’m 46 and have always been a WECT person as far as local news goes. I grew up watching Ken Murphy do the news and Jim Burns do the weather report. I got ready for school each morning with Wayne Jackson telling me what was going on in “Carolina in the Morning.” I remember watching Frances Weller on her 1st day as a news anchor. And from the early 1990’s until December 2008, I trusted George Elliot to give me an accurate weather forecast.

So if George is coming to WWAY, he will accomplish what no other local news personality has been able to do…….ensure that I tune into WWAY every evening from 6 – 6:30pm. Welcome back George if it is indeed you.

• Guest says:

Oh it’s HIM alright! We’d all recognize that shadow profile and peace sign anywhere! But, really? I thought that we were done with him in this area. NOT AGAIN????

• SurfCityTom says:

here I thought it was Alred E Newman from MAD magazine

• Guest says:

I’m so glad its George ! For all the people who don’t like him, I’m sorry cause at least he has a personality unlike most of the people that do the weather. I agree with the other person who said they will switch from WECT to WWAY because George is back, and I will be one of them also !

• blossom958 says:

Cannot believe WWAY is taking in WECT’s old throwaways. WWAY has a great news/weather team. My grandfather said “don’t fix it if it isn’t broken.” Don’t put this obnoxious man in my face!!! Where will I surf when he comes on just to keep him out of my face!!!

• mary says:

why cant wway and wect leave things the way they are. wway has wect people and wect has wway people .

• Guest says:

NO,NO,NO,NO!!!!! Send him back to wherever he’s been hiding or put him on the midnight thru 6 am shift. I can’t take it!!!!

• Guesttoo says:

I would think valuable prayers would be better used elsewhere…

Ditto!!! (Except I’m 43)

Maybe we should pray for George to leave? AMEN!

I’ll be right there with you on that one! Don’t know why anyone would want to bring back George. SAVE JERRY! SAVE JERRY!

• teacher2nurse says:

George, a big welcome home to you! You have been missed greatly. I sincerely wish you the very best in your new role at WWAY!

• lst timer in Hampstead says:

Welcome back, promise you will STAY!!!!!! My husband and I speak often of the loss we felt, when you needed to spread your wings. As the elusive Butterfly you landed back where you belong. God Bless you and we are so very happy.. 1st timer in Hampstead

• Pat Collins says:

I’ve always been an ABC NEWS watcher wherever we lived. But, you’re totally losing myself and my husband as viewers.
    Your station has looked like a time bomb ticking.
    You never know if the news will be on(as some have disappered; or, if those good reporters will be there if the news shows up.
    I think there was a take over of new owners. Well, you’re losing two viewers here.
    Have lived in KC,Atlanta,Richmond,NJ-NY viewing areas. You’re losing it. Even though, you have some good talent in the news area. Love the young reporters that are doing a great job!!!
    And were 60 age.

• Newsie says:

Rondinaro really? Talk about a clown who gives tv broadcasters a bad name. He belongs in the 70’s!

• cejinbolivia says:

Georgie with his sing song voice and inflections got me switch the channel away from WECT when he was there and now I’ll switch back on the days he is on WWAY. He was shipped out for a reason, and he probably will be again.

• Billy says:

We are so glad you are back George , I know i will be watching 3 now just get back to giving the weather please, you sir are great at it peace out my friend

• Rusty says:

Welcome back George. When it comes to hurricanes headed our way, you know your stuff. I’m so glad you are back in Wilmington. You know our weather better than any other meterologist in Southeast North Carolina. Make us proud!

WELCOME BACK!!!!!!

• bobbi says:

our household is thrilled that george has returned to wilmington in any television capacity! we have missed his sense of reporting as well as his uplifting, sometimes comical, and outgoing personality!!! way to make a GREAT decision, george AND wway!!!

• Guest says:

Welcome back George, another winning personality on WWAY. You are much appreciated!

He is like that uncle you can’t wait for him to leave. Again.

Welcome! We missed you!

• Elizabeth Burke says:

George, Wilmington, NC is a better place again….because you are back!!
    Have admired you since you were on WJBF in Augusta, GA! You are back where you belong. It’s great to hear your voice and see that gorgeous smile and personality that everyone loves. Welcome back and know that you were missed very much. So excited that you are back!!!

• spike says:

Glad you’re back . Most people that leave Wilmington come back. You are no excetion it seems

• Grand Ole Party says:

Don’t let the door knob hit you in the a@@. As a matter of fact please do us all a favor and return to NJ or NY. We are tired of hearing you fluffs cry.

• Guest says:

So happy you are back Geaorge, I’ve been a member of the bring George back Facebook page for a while and was so excited to hear of your return. I have never watched WWAY but will switch over now!!! Don’t worry about all these haters, there are always crabby hateful people out there. Thats why we are so happy to see your smiling face back!! :)

• Guest says:

SO happy to see George on-air again! Really missed him while he was gone. I’ll be looking forward to Thursdays & Fridays even more now! Thanks WWAY :-)

• Guest says:

I am very happy to have George back!! Glad to see Chris as well and I do miss Steve R.

• Guest says:

I read all of your comments. To the people that talk so negative about George, I don’t see you guys trying to do a better job. If he was that bad, he would not be back on the station. Look at it this way, If you worked, someone gave you a job. Whose to say you were good at what you did. Think about it. Nobody is perfect, not even you. Kudos for George!

• Guest says:

George turned me into a weather junkie when he was on WECT. Glad he is coming back in whatever capacity. I learned a lot about weather just from him, e.g. “It takes 1,000 drizzle drops to make one raindrop.” Please let us know when Live With George is going to be on.

• mallen2700 says:

I have a new local news station…Welcome back George, You were greatly missed and its like welcoming back an old family member!

• K. Muster says:

I’ve missed you and am SO glad you’re back! Now don’t try that moving away stuff again, ‘kay? ;-)

KHAAaaaaaaaaaaaaN!

• Guest says:

To the people who have made comments that George isn’t very smart, those comments show just how ignorant YOU are. If you would do some research, you would see that George is a CERTIFIED Meteorologist by the American Meteorology Society. I’d like to see the negative commentators take that test and see how they score… I also believe George is the ONLY one who holds this seal in the Wilmington television area. WWAY will be way ahead of the competition when it comes to severe weather between George and Jerry.

• Mary James says:

Welcome Back George! I am so happy that you are back in NC. I’m probably your biggest fan. I met and took pics with you at IHOP and at the station. I will miss you being on the other station and how you always told your jokes and made Francis crack up, but I’m just glad that my favorite weatherman is back!!!

• erik says:

It is like watching a bad car crash. What were you people thinking?
    He’s the original no talent Snooki!

• Bored ..... says:

We are thrilled George is coming back!!! We LOVE George and have missed him! We usually watch WECT but now with George on WWAY, we will be switching over!!! We have been bored without him! Way to Go!!!!

• Guest says:

Glad to have a little entertainment mixed into the news which can often be so upsetting. Was discusted with WWAY when they let Chris and Steve R go, glad to have Chris back, but still GREATLY miss the interaction between him and Steve Rondinaro. Bring back Mr Rondo and you’ll have a team that no one can beat!!!

• Guest says:

So, when is George Elliott’s first official day on the air? Finally, the potential for accurate weather forecasting!

Accurate weather forecasting has returned to the region. In additon, to a wonderful gentleman coming back to our area. Welcome back George you were truly missed.

He was HARDLY accurate…at least he wasn’t any MORE accurate than any of the other meteorologists….meteorology shouldn’t even be considered a science…its a JOKE

• Guest 1103 says:

The day George comes back as the weatherman will be my last day to watch WWAY.

• Guest says:

Well, i have a reverse take on GE. I will watch AY more because I love him as a weatherman and tv personality.

Welcome Back Kotter…opps…I mean GE.

It is very sad to watch a person try so hard to be funny when they don’t have it in them. He shouldn’t try to be cute or tell jokes.

• Grand Ole Party says:

I am sure WWAY will not fold up tent when you stop watching.

• Guest says:

Many will leave when he begins showing his face again ,, not just a few,,, duhhh… what was you thinking wway ????

I’LL be so glad when he gets here so the front page can get rid of him, ya’ll seem to think he’s god when he’s not…………..

• Guest says:

You have a good professional weather staff. Why mess things up with the loser? He’s a joke.

• Stonemsmom says:

Welcome back George, if this great news is true!!!! Lucky for Wilmington there have not been any major hurricaines the past few years in the area with your expertise. We have always appreciated your sense of humor and knowledge. We are WECT news people, but if you are on WWAY, we will need to switch. Good move TV 3. Awesome.

• Guest says:

Just so everyone knows…George is not going to be doing weather at WWAY. In my opinion that’s all he’s good for. Why they would make this hire is beyond me.

• beebop says:

Thanks for the warning!

• YankeeTranspalnt says:

I was an out of state visitor for many years and always looked forward to tuning in to George while at the beach. Once I moved down here he left I was so disappointed – missed my former home town newsfolks and then him too! So welcome back George whatever station you are affiliated with I will be watching!!

Welcome back George. Good for WWAY for getting him on their already great team. Some nights I watch WECT because Jay follows the news, but now will just have to watch WWAY and switch after the news.

Good luck George, and Welcome Home.

• Guestgirl says:

How do you know? What is your source?

• Guestopopo says:

So the smarmy entertainer– I mean wet weatherman– is returning. I just hope he has matured and toned down his sleazy cuteness.

• Guestcaddy says:

I am soooo thrilled George is coming back to Wilmington…I really missed him after leaving WECT TV… but this is WWAY TV big gain!!!

• Cindy Wall says:

I will switch to WWAY to watch the weather and news.

• Guest says:

God help us all we are going to need it if we have to deal with this guy again!!! What are you thinking WWAY we know you can to better than this!! NOT COOL!!!

• Tam says:

How does everyone know that’s George? Wow….

• Guest says:

George is fine. I just hope he doesn’t replace Jerry Jackson. Jerry is very good and has paid his dues to get where he is. some people hate George and you may be making a big mistake, and then have lost Jerry too.

• SurfCityTom says:

convince George & Scott to cease with the Guest friendly posts. Over 100; there must be something else to post about. If nothing else, how about Barfield & Thompson doing trash duty in the County?

• Wayne Williamson says:

My question is who is leaving WWAY so he can return. If anyone leaves, I will be leaving also.

• Big Al the Terp says:

I am now switched over to WWAY. YYYEEEESSSSSSS!!!!

• Guest says:

Why bring him in He was a joke and never got it right at wect. I quit watching it. I love wway I wont be able to put up with him getting the weather wrong all the time. As well as his poor sense of humor if you can call it that.

• Guest says:

How will we know what he’s going to be doing?? Is it weather, news, commentary, what?? And, is he on in the morning, noon, night, weekdays, weekends? Give us some info. This “secret” has gone on long enough. THE PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW!!

• Guest says:

I switched to WWAY because George Elliot was on WECT. I felt like the anchors were uncomfortable with him, and his oddball attempts at humor were not funny. I like the crew you have now, and if George returns, I will be leaving for WECT.

• Guestasis says:

Perfect day to unveil WWAY’s own leprechaun.

• Sadie Godfrey says:

Welcome back George but where is your necktie?

• Guest says:

Thank goodness George won’t be doing the weather, and will only be on occasionally. I can ignore the segment he does. I didn’t like him when he was on WECT. His attempt at humor was disgusting! I think the crew that WWAY has is great. In my opinion, AGeorge is NOT a welcome addition.

• Guest CommonTater says:

both stations will be exchanging sheep to a certain degree…..

• Jess says:

I was heart broken when George left ILM! I can’t believe he’s back! I am beyond excited!! I’ve never watched wway but I will now!!!!

• Wayne says:

I have been living in the area since 1997. I would not watch WECT because of George. My question is where did he go and NOW why is he coming back. WWAY has a way of getting rid of reporters and then bring the bad ones back.
    Now is the time for the public to know why they are doing this.

he’s a goofy guy that’s for sure. a heck of weatherman though. this should be entertaining.

anyone remember when he broke both arms trying to pop a balloon? good times.

• blossom958 says:

Goofy is right!!! Just when WWAY had the best news/weather around, the owners drag in the old, obnoxious leftovers from somewhere else. If he uses that old peace sign, it will be like going back to the horrible 60’s. People, let’s go foward, not backward!!!!

• Guest says:

I’m so glad he will be back on the air! I like that he prides himself on the accuracy of his forecast and his community involvement. Plus, he is a real weatherman with a distinct personality, not a cookie cutter generic tv guy.

• Guest says:

If George is going to be doing the weather at WWAY, I certainly hope that it will not be at the expense of the present Chief Meteorologist Jerry Jackson. Jerry is by far a much more professional and competent meteorologist. If George wants to be a comedian (like he tried to be on WECT), he needs to pick that as his profession. Sadly, he is not funny and I was embarrassed for him each night. I was truly glad when he left.

• Pam says:

I can’t understand all of the George hate either but it’s a free country and people can like or not like whomever they want. I think George will be a great addition to this weather team. I think WECT made a big mistake letting George get away.

He may seem a little strange, but if you give him a chance, you will learn quickly during hurricane season that he knows what he’s talking about!

• Guestburgaw says:

looks like it is too late. If it is George have him do weather in Berkley, CA where his personality is norm. Do not appt him Chief…..Keep Jerry for sure he can give him some tips on how to do the job right

• Not Cory says:

Did anyone else notice that our Lil’ Leprechaun of Lightning Storms will be returning to television on St. Patrick’s Day? Hide your gold!

• Katherine says:

I just have to say, I was heartbroken when George left town!!! I am a loyal WECT viewer, but with George on WWAY I will tune in to see him. He is THE best meterologist. He knows his stuff. I trust him SO much. I feel such relief that he will be back on the air!!!PLEASE, PLEASE put George on at 5-6 and 11:00!!! Put Jerry on mornings and Tim on weekends!!!!!! George deserves that slot, as he is the most knowledgeable forecaster!!! Jerry may be well liked, but he is by no means as SMART and EXPERIENCED as George!! Also, I would not trust ANYONE but George with forecasting hurricanes!!! Thank You, Thank You for taking my suggestions into consideration (in advance) ;-) A George E. FAN, Katherine

• GuestK hamilton says:

Be watching WWAY now. Welcome back George Elliot!

• TamCamBel says:

A little obnoxious personality goes a long way, and that’s all there is to George–obnoxious personality.

The weather should be reported in a matter-of-fact manner without any attempts at humor or “cuteness.”

George’s tacky attempts at being cute are what make him so repulsive to so many viewers.

Keep Jerry, a professional, who is easy on the eyes and ears.

• katherine Stewart says:

I am SO happy George is coming back!! PLEASE put him on at 5 and 6 and 11. He is THE best meterologist around by far!!!! I’m a loyal WECT watcher, but with George back I will be watching HIM!! I was heartbroken when he left!!!! Now I feel we are in GOOD (GREAT) hands. Please put Jerry in morning! He is NOT as knowlegable and SMART as George. I am so relieved to have him back. GREAT choice WWAY!! :-)

• Jan Thomas says:

Please tell me George Elliot is not coming to WWAY!!! I don’t think I can take it. You already have a great weather team. Who made this stupid decision!!! Who runs this station anyway???

• Guest says:

You are so right Jason, if you do not like him you do not have to watch. There is no need to be ugly. I think it is great. You will be with a good team. Welcome back George.

• Laura says:

I used to like George when he was on the Weather Channel, but on WECT, he tried to be funny, but didn’t succeed. I vote to keep Jerry on at 5, 6 and 11. That’s when I watch the news, and I’d much rather see someone who is not only professional, but is easy to look at and listen to. Keep Jerry on 5, 6 and 11, put George on in the mornings if he is going to be doing the weather. Just my opinion.

• Guest1999 says:

Gene Motley is back !! Yeah baby !!!

• Guest J Wood says:

George is simply the best anyone that thinks he is not funny as well as far superior in his field of knowledge is stupid. George is the best in any catagory. He is such a loving person. I love George Elliott. As far as I’m concerned, WWAY just tipped the balance by 99.9% in their favor… from guess where. I think you will find that most viewers agree with me, they love George too. For 14 years I was a WECT fan because of George. Now I am definately a WWAY fan. Welcome back George!!! So glad to have you back so that I can trust the weather forecast again. The news of your return has caused the Sun to come out in My world again!! Keep Smiling that Million Dollar Smile…..Good Luck George, We Love You!!

OMG, George is back.. That is awesome. Jerry is so bland with no personality,,,

• SurfCityTom says:

leave Jerry Jackson in place. He is heads and shoulders above the other media heads.

On the other hand, should Jerry be disturbed or distressed, can you envision a liberal application of tar and feathers followed by a ride on a rail to the river?

• Guest says:

Woohoo!! Great for WWAY, sucks to be WECT :-)

• Guest says:

I am THRILLED that George will be back on the air here in Wilmington. You’re my hero!

• Glenn Willis says:

Your comments are perfect and could not state them any better. I will not be be watching this guy and have been watching WWAY for 20 years. Time to find a new station with some sanity in regards to employees.
    Can we find him a job overseas?

• Das Weibstück says:

You have a PC to watch our weather if hearing or seeing HUMANS annoys you that badly. He is far from an idiot. Maybe you should move overseas.

• Guest says:

Well Well Well Welcome back George we’ve missed you, Your experience and humor have been missed as well! I guess we’ll be adding wway as a favorite channel.

• Guest says:

After 30+ years as a WWAY viewer, goodbye WWAY hello WECT !!

• Guest says:

. . . that George is going to be doing the weather?? I haven’t heard a word about him doing weather. . have you?

• Elizabeth says:

So happy to know that your expertise on all things weather and your deliciously quirky sense of humor will be back on the air. I’ll definitely watch WWAY just to see you. Wilmington is gaining a really great guy. We’re glad you’re back!!!

• blossom958 says:

Jerry Jackson is heads above George. Jerry is very knowledgeable of all weather and gives us the information we need to hear. I love his Weather Academy with the kids. There is always something new to learn.

• Faye says:

Why would you want him on TV3 when you have a great crew… Hoping that he will not be on when I am watching or I will have to watch ^… TV 3 gets rid of the good folks that we like and then bring someone like him on here,,,,

• Jason says:

Folks, listen here. Some of the comments concerning George are just down right rude and disrespectful. If you don’t like the guy, fine. You don’t have to tune into WWAY. You don’t have to sit here degrade the man. How about showing him some respect and honor as another individual. He is just another person, who happens to be on TV.

I missed seeing George reporting the weather! Yes, he’s comical, but when there is serious weather coming, he’s serious about it. I enjoyed his jokes, lighten up people! And he did do alot in the community! Welcom back George!

• Guest says:

i have been watching wect for 15 years and hated it when George left…now i will be watching wway. There was a certain person on wect that was just plain mean to George when he was on air and nothing was said about it….now at least George wont have to deal with her!!!!

• Karen McMyne says:

Long live King George! Eat your heart out WECT.

• Guest says:

Unbelievable that any station would allow George Elliott to return back on the air in Wilmington. He is an extremely creepy man who provides little to any newscast. Poor choice, WWAY!!!!

• Guest says:

If George is indeed the mystery person to return, I’m afraid I’ll be among those leaving WWAY as a viewer, and refocusing my attention to WECT. Even if such a change only involves the weather portion of the program, just knowing ‘he’ is lurking about is enough to make my skin crawl. Forgive my bluntness but it’s the truth.

Ugh, I do hope this isn’t the case…

I agree with you on that one! WECT here I come!

• Guest says:

I agree wholeheartedly!!! I thought George was repulsive when he was on WECT, and was one of the reasons I never watched their newscasts. Hopefully, he’ll only be on in the early morning hours.

• Guest says:

So many of these comments against George sound like a bunch of bullys. You were the ones in school that hurt so many kids. Love to you George and welcome back.

• Guest says:

WWAY viewers are very lucky to be getting George; I am saddened that he isn’t coming back to WECT! As much as I love George, I still have to stick with WECT.

• Straight Shooter says:

It took me a while to appreciate good ole George when he first came to this market in the early 90’s. But after watching his excellent and very informative coverage of hurricanes Bertha, Fran and others, I became a fan of his. Glad you are back George!

• Guest suzanne says:

Can’t wait to see you back on the air!I think you do a great job and love your jokes.You make my day sunny.To those who don’t like you!They don’t have a sense of humor!!!! WELCOME BACK

• Guest says:

No way!! That looks just like my favorite old weather guy George. He’s such a hoot!

• Guest says:

On March 17th goodby wway and hello wect.

WE WILL NOT MISS YOU.

• Guestjesica says:

George you are the BEST!!!!!!!!!I crying when you left WECT.I have wached you on tv every since i was a little girl.I will be waching the weather on wway, hopeful you will be doing the 5-6 &11. I love you GEORGE.All of you people that are putting GEORGE donw you need to stop. HE is the best weather man EVER. LOVE YOU GEORGE CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU BACK ON TV.

I’m 50-50 on this fella.

I respect his knowledge and passion for weather. Personallity can be a little abrasive at times though.

Alright, I’ll go 60-40 in favor of him.

Welcome back.

• Guest CommonTater says:

Sweet!!!

• former wect watcher says:

Ive always enjoyed WECT news but when George left, it wasnt the same. I never watched WWAY, didnt even know he was coming back because I never watch it…just flipped the channels and saw an old familiar face….George is back, now WWAY has a new viewer. If you could snag Fran away you would have a coup.

• NCforme says:

Welcome back! Glad to have you!

• c'mon says:

Only people that work there say “AY.” At least learn to talk like a layperson.

• whatever says:

OK? How many meteorologist (sp?) does one channel need? Asha, Jerry, Tim, Chris…..Asha normally does reporting, Chris is co-anchor, tim fills in for jerry. I moved here in 2000 and Jerry was the only one who stated we would get snow that January. I have trusted him since. George is not welcomed in my household. Cutting yourself shaving does not make a good weather person. I would recommend you tune in to the comedy channel and send them e-mails about this great comedian.

• Doodles says:

I am so happy that George is coming back to this area. He is my all time favorite weatherman. I will never ever forget the broadcast where he had toilet paper stuck all over his face after cutting his self shaving. I rolled for 30 minutes. I did not hear the news after seeing him (because of all the laughter) but it was ok. It brings a smile to my face just thinking about that night. There are not many people in this world as memorable as George. He is truly a wonderful person. I for one will make wway my news station of choice once George is on board.

• Guest says:

I was so happy to see that George is going to be back on the air in this area. I will find the times and be sure to watch him. He is such a down to earth person.

• Guest says:

I like the weather guy we already have don’t let him go!! Jerry is the most down to earth guy and I would much rather watch him instead! George is SOOO annoying please don’t make me have to watch him again!!
    I’m pulling for you Jerry!!!

• Guest says:

Now you know how most of us feel when you do it. The sad thing is George knows his jokes are lame and you think yours are witty.

I don’t have to try to be funny, it just happens naturally. Don’t be mad just because you fail at life.

• Guest says:

To borrow one of your witty remarks,good comeback,not.

If it were my remark it would contain proper spacing and punctuation. You fail. Again.

• Guest says:

I usually just read the news on the internet so i don’t have to see and hear all the blah,blah,blah….if you’re in the outlying areas you can forget it…it’s all about Wilmington!!!! at least now I will have a reason to tune in and watch the weather, George lightens things up and bit and brings something interesting to an otherwise boring newscast! WWAY you have another viewer………at least for a few minutes! (and especially during hurricane season!)

• Judy Tomlinson says:

Hi George, It was such a surprise to see you today, at New Hanover Medical. I have missed you on TV. Things are just not the same without you on TV. Thanks for the candy and most of all, getting to talk with you. Take care and I’ll see you on TV and hope to see you in person, real soon.
    Thanks and welcome back,
    Judy Tomlinson

• Tina Cuthbertson says:

GEORGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just saw the commercial!
    WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe he won’t be doing weather!

• Della RipaGuest says:

Horrible 60’s were not so horrible. I was there. I was there for it all. A guy like George, sure has a sense of humor and is an original. Not dredged up on your face book pages or computer crapola, etc. I know what my hounds do to blossoms.

• Guesttoo says:

In the ’60’s, they used China Markers to draw up the weather on a board. IF you were lucky, you had a color set and they even had different color markers!

If I’m watching the news and interested in the weather, I want to hear facts…not corny jokes. Don’t care to see to see the person that I’m relying on to report weather spinning in circles like a top either!

• Guest says:

I am so glad George is back! What’s wrong with a little bit of humor in this world? No matter how bad or good it is! This evil world needs all that it can get right now!! Welcome back George!!!

• NikkiZ. says:

I was born and raised in the southeast coastal region on NC. I remember George Elliott as far back as I can remember. Ever since I was little, He has ALWAYS been my favorite Meteorologist. From passing showers to hurricanes, He is the one who got me interested in weather! I have moved to WV for school. I am graduating in December, but I have been taking meteorology courses just to take them. Thanks George for being the best in the business and welcome back home!

• Brunswick Resident says:

George can go back where is coming from. Been fine with out him, who needs him now? George is educated far beyond his intelligence.

• islandgirl says:

And now we have “Cacy”…where did she come from? Midwest, I suspect, since she is reveling in our weather, please! We really miss Meghan.
    But, glad George is here….and his pre-eminence….looked like: “What me worry?”, so we knew it was him!

• mary says:

I’m glad that George is here doing Irene coverage. He knows what he is talking about!

• Guesty1234 says:

WELCOME BACK GEORGE!
    Missed you when you suddenly left the other station. Loved the way you reported on the weather. I know you will be an asset to the WWAY family.
    I hope you spend the rest of your career here at home where you are much liked and respected.

WELCOME HOME GEORGE ELLIOT!!

• Jamie says:

I haven’t been watching any news lately because no one seems to get the weather right. Lets see what George can do to liven things up and predict correct weather. Yes Weather is a serious matter, but why can’t it be seriously funny and within 1 degree of the actual temperature. Its been a while.

• George Fan says:

Yeee Haaaa! I love George! Best weather ever! Even if that’s not what he will be doing, I too will be switching to WWAY for good! Already watch the morning show. Keep up the good work improving and growing.

• Guestudontknow says:

Welcome back MEAN GENE MOTLEY……we use to get drunk together at Halftime Bar….remember Gene????

• Thereisnonews says:

Shouldn’t he be holding up a 3 instead of a 2? I wonder if he’ll parade hot blondes through 3’s newsroom as well….

Hurting for news stories?

• Guest says:

Glad your coming back, keep us smiling.

• Guestof themonth says:

Please ask George to tone down his obnoxious personality. He injects far too much of his personality when reporting the weather, and he strives for “cuteness.”

But there is a huge gap between his intention and the effect. He comes across, not as cute, but as merely irritating.

Jerry Jackson is immensely superior to Georgio. Keep him.

• Dan Mann says:

I just heard that George Elliot has returned to the Wilmington area. I have been an Elliot fan for years. As mayor of a small coastal town from 2003-2007, I relied more on George’s forecasts than the official Weather Service forecasts on hurricanes. I found George’s forecasts to be right on the money every time. Glad he is back and hope he will be involved in forecasting the storms that can wreak havoc on out coastline. Welcome home, George!

• Guest says:

Way to Go, WWAY! How smart to bring back not only an accomplished meterologist and published author of a nice book on meterology, but a genuine person who truly loves the Wilmington area, has a huge following and donates so much of his time to community service. Geroge will compliment the current great WWAY News Team whether he’s on mornings or evenings. Brilliant!

• Grand Ole Party says:

You may want to be able to put together a proper sentence. What ARE you thinking, not “What was you thinking” Your entire post makes you look like a complete moron. Try again buttercup.

• Mary Ann says:

Hi George,
    I am glad you are back, switching from another station to watch you!
    always enjoyed your “sense” of humor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jim freeman says:

Hey Gorge,

Welcome back. It would be nice if you were going to be back doing the weather but I guess it wouldn’t be fair to the folks who are doing it now. Since I moved here in ’88 you have been the best weather guy we have had in the area. Those of us who surf and sail have probably missed your’ work the most. Maybe your’ new bosses will let you do a daily marine forecast, tide / wind / swell size and direction. No offence but their weather has never been too hot and adding that to their broadcast would do alot to bring your’ people over to their shows given your skills and knowledge.

Just a thought,

Jim Freeman

HOW IN THE HECK can you call weather here in NC…ACCURATE…during the summer all they do is slap a temperature up and say…50% chance of rain…

• Brian says:

Okay WWAY, you’ve dipped your foot in the water, and now you know George can still deliver, so it’s time to give him a permanent spot on the weather team!! If you don’t, guess who will (shh WECT)! The guy’s brilliant in those cussed hurricanes, unlike anyone else I’ve ever seen. Look at his resume!? Now look at the rest of your weather teams resumes? Any questions?

Any while I’m managing your station for you from my lowly title designation of “TV viewer”.

Several years ago WECT news was broadcast 24/7 on a local radio station (87.7 FM I believe). I found this quite handy as I was able to hear the local news both going and coming from work. However, (as I understand it) due to the new “digital age” of TV, the radio station was taken off the air.

Apparently, your station worked out a deal with NPR to broadcast the news intermittently during the hurricane. This is a great step in the right direction, but it’s time to close the deal!!

It’s time we had a local news station broadcast 100% of the time on a local radio station. My question is, will you consider being the first to step up to the plate?

• Stanley says:

Welcome home George and I wish you well. Always enjoyed watching you and your sometimes strange comments. Just a word of warning several people over the years have tried coming back and it just didn’t work. I hope it is different for you. Good luck.

• trekmate says:

So glad that you are back, wish you were doing the weather though-my Dad swears you’re the only one who can do it right… You’ve been missed..

• K hamilton says:

Welcome back George. Now I am switching back to WWAY. Been on WECT for so long and looking forward to your broadcasts. Always enjoyed George. Never knew whAt he was going to say but certainly entertaining! BOUT TIME!

• Guest says:

Thanks for bring George back. We need that smile and sunshine:)

• Carole says:

A big welcome home

• Guest says:

LEAVE GEORGE ALONE WE NEED SOMEONE LIKE HIM TO ENTERTAIN AND THE KIDS LOVE TO WATCH THE NEWS WITH HIM ON IT. GLAD TO SEE HIM BACK HE IS ALWAYS THE SAME AND A GOOD CHANGE. I STILL LOVE JERRY JACKSON BUT ITS GOOD TO HAVE DIFFERENT PERSONALITIES ON THE NEWS,AS WELL AS IN LIFE. HE WILL BE GOOD FOR THE TEAM.

• Guest says:

Welcome Back George! We look forward to watching the “Live With George” segments. We’ve missed your presence on Wilmington TV.

• Guest says:

I had difficulty understanding what George said when he was the weatherman. I would watch WWAY so I could understand the weather person. Bringing him back will keep me from watching WWAY.

• Guest says:

Obviously you cannot read either as he is not doing the Weather segment.

• Guestcaddy says:

Sure was great to have you back George ..you are loved here and glad to see your wonderful smile back on the air!

• patricia hayes says:

was gald to see you back in town when you came by the dollar general everyone are glad you are back can’t wait to see you doing your thing welcome back where you belong

• caddy says:

That will be great news to have him back here….WWAY is getting WAY better!!!!

• JP says:

I know that guy. Welcome back, GE!

• Duane says:

Glad to see George back. I’ll switch to WWAY.