0 Comments for this article

Tags: , ,

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A Brunswick County man is dead after an early-morning house fire. Sheriff’s deputies are investigating the fire that happened before 2 a.m. off Hewett-Burton Road near Leland.

The victim’s name is not being released at this time, but we are told the victim was a paraplegic confined to a wheelchair and was found dead in the living room of his home. The fire marshal says a cigarette caused the fire.

Neighbor Ann McKeel said he was a quiet man who stayed to himself.

“This is very upsetting to me knowing that I always seen him out in the yard, washing his vehicle, and he never bothered me,” McKeel said. “I’m gonna miss seeing him out in the yard. This is a huge shock.”

McKeel said the victim was an older man who did not leave his home much.

An autopsy is scheduled for tomorrow in Greenville.

Comment on this Story

Related News

Jason Hewett (Photo: Brunswick Co. Sheriff's Office)
2 days ago
0 Comments for this article
Supply man charged in hay theft
Read More»
Wilmington YMCA one year after fire (Photo: Hannah Patrick/ WWAY)
3 days ago
0 Comments for this article
Wilmington YMCA gets $2M donation for renovations after 2015 fire
Read More»
FIRE GENERIC
5 days ago
0 Comments for this article
Chimney fire damages Wilmington home
Read More»