Man dead after shooting involving Brunswick deputy

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Sun, 05/15/2011 - 1:16am
Updated: Sun, 05/15/2011 - 7:05pm

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A Brunswick County Sheriff’s deputy is under investigation after investigators say he shot and killed an armed man Friday night.

According to a statement from the Sheriff’s Office, about 7:30 p.m. Friday, deputies responded to 668 Bayshore Drive in Sunset Harbor, where a man was firing a gun in his garage. When the deputies arrived they were confronted by William Gordon Brown, 73, who investigators say pointed a loaded handgun at them. The deputies tried to use a Tazer, but it had no effect.

At that time, the Sheriff’s Office says, Brown again pointed his handgun at the deputies. Dep. Joe Genda fired two shots striking Brown, who was pronounced dead at Brunswick Community Hospital.

Neighbor Chris Anselmo said he didn’t know Brown well, but said he was always kind to his children.

“I’ve been here for ten years, and nothing like this has ever happened before,” Anselmo said. “It doesn’t make me feel like it’s an unsafe neighborhood. It seems to have been obviously an isolated incident, so I’m not really worried about security or safety or anything like that, but I do feel bad that it’s happened.”

Sheriff John Ingram and Brunswick County District Attorney Jon David have requested the State Bureau of Investigation conduct an officer-involved shooting investigation.

Dep. Genda is on administrative leave with pay pending the outcome of the investigation.

Lou06 you said how the average person would react, like I said if someone burst through my door and I had a gun in my hand it would be pointed in the direction of the intruder. Lou06 let me ask you if you were or are an officer and you were searching a residence with an open door. While you are searching the residence I would imagine you have your weapon (gun) out while doing your sweep. If during some point a person walks out of the restroom, as an officer what would you do? I know you probably would do what most officers do is point the gun out of reaction and protection. Am I correct in my statement? I am not putting law enforcement officers down I know there job is very dangerous and they never know what comes next. I know they have seconds to make a decision whether right or wrong, and an attorney has months to prove what he did was wrong. I just want to say no one knows what Mr. Brown was thinking he may have been thinking someone was there to hurt or rob him. He may have been hearing impaired and not seeing as well as he was in his younger years. He may have been depressed and wanted to end it all. I’m not saying what the officer did is wrong in his actions but have compassion for the deceased. Both sides of this story is tragic for the deputy and Mr. Brown. I can put myself in both of these people shoes. I just don’t want people thinking that Mr. Brown was a walking time bomb when in fact he didn’t know what was happening and he reacted out of protection. Lets wait to see what the SBI determines.

• Guestknow itall says:

Amen on giving support. And by the way, it was his wife who called

• Guesthere says:

“The guy pointed a firearm at deputies”

You were there and witnessed this with your own eyes? I know you are not naive enough to think an officer could never lie. Why would the SBI even waste time investigating then?

Come on, really? This is what you call common sense?

I have no reason to believe it happened any way other than what the deputy said, but I’ll wait for the SBI to investigate before I’ll say the situation was handled correctly. Not sure why or how that enables or excuses any behavior.

• BOB says:

BCSO DOES WHATEVER THEY WANT WHENEVER THEY WANT AND IM GONNA START COMPLAINING TO RALEIGH THE NEXT TIME I SEE THEM RACING UP AND DOWN THE HIGHWAYS AT 100 MPH FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER

• Support for the Deputies says:

I think they key here is that a concerned citizen called the police because they feared for their safety after hearing shots fired inside a garage. The department exists to keep the public safe (a luxury not afforded in all countries)and in doing so, these officers put themselves at great risk. It is a sad turn of events but we cannot forget the officer and his family in such a sad situation – they deserve our support!

• Guesthere says:

Why does this website seem to attract folks that only see things in black or white? Everyone is far left or far right. I sometimes wonder if either sides make these stupid comments just to draw people into an argument. Where is the middle ground? It seems to happen with most stories here.

With this story, that has very few details, I see comments stating the officer was completely in the right, and some saying he’s in the wrong. From this article, how are you guys coming up with that?

Here is how I feel. From what little I know, the officer’s actions sound justified and I don’t think anyone should speak poorly against him until details emerge showing otherwise. With that being said, he chose to be deputy and was trained for these situations, and should act accordingly to that training. He doesn’t get a free pass just because he did not want to be there that day. If law enforcement never made the wrong call, there would not be mandatory investigation of the incident.

An opinion is one thing, but some of the statements here from those for and from those against the officer are crazy to make until the investigation is over.

• Tufflessn says:

The facts is that none of you armchair quarterbacks has never had enough nerve in your life to do what the deputy is doing everyday for a living. Think about….think about yourself

• brunswickcty101 says:

You people need to realize that the deputy did not ask to be put in that position. Every day deputies go to work, they know that situations like this can happen. I don’t know why you want to question his actions, when the fact is the deputy was there to protect and serve the public in the first place.
    What we, as a community, need to do is support him, as I am sure he did not want to be a part of Friday night’s events and his life would have been much easier if it had not happened. This is a tragedy and I pray for the family of the deceased, as well as the deputy and his family.
    My philosophy is if people would not put themselves in such positions of crime, then they would not have to worry about things like this happening. I wonder what you would do if someone pointed a loaded gun at you…have you ever thought about it that way? Stop placing the blame on someone who does his job each and every day just to make this county a much safer place for you to live!

• lou06 says:

Guest…..who said the officers went in busting thru the front door? You said what would I do if somone came busting in my residence well first off where did that even come from? and secondly a responsible gun owner will eveluate what is before him or her before and judge what force is needed, I said the average person would see officers in marked cars pull up they would put down the gun and talk to them. And if he could not see the deputies then he really had no business with the gun shooting it anyway. What if a child had been in tbe area?? I am not putting Brown down, I said that nobody knows what was going on in his head as to why he would point a gun at the deputies. And you are right searching a building I woiuld have my gun drawn but you are talking about a whole different scenerio than me firing my gun in a garage with neighbors near by. My biggest problem was that lightwhat ever his name was was throwing out ignorant responses. And as far as your response you stated that he had a indoor range, I can tell you one thing my neighbors house is just a little farther away than what appeared on the news image but my neighbor will NOT have an “indoor” range in their garage and I be ok with it. Not gonna happen oh and by the way somone said the wife called….don’t you think she thought there was a problem for her to call 911? Just saying……..

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

The guy pointed a firearm at deputies. They tried to use non-lethal force, he pointed the weapon at them again, they did what they were trained to do.

BTW, 98% of life **IS** black or white, right or wrong. Those who claim otherwise are simply enabling and excusing aberrant behavior.

• lou06 says:

First off “lightman”, you have to be the most ignorant person around. You really shoul have a clue about what you r talking about before you start commenting on thing u have no iea of what u r talking about. First off all officers must pass a psych. examination. Officers ARE not trained to wound, they r traine to stop the threat and the threat was a person pointing a deadly weapon, a gun at the Deputies!!! They did not have to try a non-letal force, tazer before but they did, they did not go in blasting shots at will. I tell you what GROW a SET and go to the BLET program and do the job thtat is being done instead of sitting back and belittleing of what you are def. ignorant about. As far as “guest” that talked about the “indoor shooting range and archery” REALLY??? and do you LIVE on the other side of that garage where the bullets can penetrate through. Don’t forget that the same “neighbors” who possibly know of this supposidly “range” are the ones who called 911 and asked for assistance. That is just crazy to think someone would have such but that really dosn’t matter, the fact is UNIFORMED DEPUTIES in MARKED CARS showed up, hello, there was no question who was there, the average person would put down the gun and talk to the deputies not threaten them. Think about what you are saying and maybe don’t be so quick to judge…..LEO do a thankless job and are always critizied on how they whould of handled something by the public who have never walked in their shoes. Who knows what was going on in Brown’s head when he pointed the gun but the deputies have a job to do that is not always easy but hey!!!!! Someone with a set has to do it!!!! My heart and prayers go out to the deputies involved that night. Sorry you had to go thru that Dep. Genda but God bless you for your service you do!!

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

They just drove up and shot the guy dead because he WASN’T pointing a gun at them. Maybe he didn’t get the gun out until they had tried to use the taser on him, huh? Or possibly the deputies were looking forward to the SBI investigation and being suspended until they were cleared. That’s always fun.

I guess I AM naive enough to believe that LEO’s don’t drive around executing people just for kicks and grins.

Brown won’t point a firmarm at anybody ever again. Good job BCSO.

• Guest 57 says:

This man was 72 years old, I don’t know why tasering him didn’t work but I think he could have been shot WITHOUT killing him.

• Guests says:

I’m going to need a little more info about the event before I’m ready to pat the officer on the back and be glad a man is dead, but that’s just me.

Let it be known that Mr. Brown has an indoor shooting and archery lane inside his garage. If someone kicks in my door and I have a gun in my hand of course I’m going to point it at whoever is there. And think about it if Mr. Brown was tazed with the gun in his hand and his hands were down by his side, his muscles would have tensed up which will bring his hands up. This is a tragic incident, and I hope the whole truth comes out. I will be praying for Mr. Brown’s family.

Sorry, I meant to type ‘firearm’ not firmarm. I’m not even sure what that is.

• Tom R says:

There has to be more to this story…as on the day of the shooting at 1230 PM 2 Sheriff Deputy’s were parked in Sunset Harbor at the closed Big Daddy’s Lounge. They were parked there for over 1 hour….7 hours prior to the reported shooting.

• SunsetHarborRes says:

Stop trying to dig up dirt. There is nothing else to the story. I live in the area and this is just a random tragedy.

• Local says:

You shot anybody with a tazer and something is going to happening ,especially someone at that age. I hope this gets investigated.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Did you bother to even read the story? It said it was being investigated. So simmer down buttercup and let the pro’s do the job they get paid to do. By the way age has nothing to do with the effects of a tazer.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

They DO malfunction, officers DO miss, suspects don’t always drop like a sack of potatoes.

This man pointed a firearm at deputies. He may have been drunk, he may have been deranged, it may have been “suicide by cop,” but the bottom line is that the deputies were totally justified in using their sidearms. There was no legal requirement to wait until we had a dead deputy before another opened fire.

• daver says:

Was he in his garage when they shot him?

• Grand Ole Party says:

I think you watch to much tv. Do you think maybe they didn’t have time to pick and choose? Maybe they just had to shoot or be shot. You’re just another back seat driver with no clue.

• Guestreader says:

I never understood why you would have to drop a gun on your own property right away because law enforcement tells you to. And of course he pointd the gun and was tased before he was shot dead; there is no other side to the story with him being dead.

• Tim says:

Okay let me get this correct. You feel that while this man was pointing a firearm at the BCSD they should continue to use non lethal devices until either he stopped or he killed them?
    Have you ever had a gun pointed at you? These officers put themselfes in harms way everyday to provide us with a level of safety.
    Also they die doing there jobs, when they don’t react quick enough.
    I do not know any of the parties involved, however I doubt this law enforcement agency was happy about taking someones life.

• bcso fan says:

As an officer I am going home everynight. If it comes down to a situation where guns are being pointed…. im doing what i need to to make sure i go home to my family. Waiting to see if someone shoots or not is to late for the officer. Further more if you shoot someone to ” disarm” what if they still have the gun or are able to shoot? back to my point of I am going home everynight. period! GREAT JOB DEPUTY GENDA AND ALL THE BCSO!

• Guest37isanidiot says:

You my friend are a moron. The intent of anyone pointing a handgun at you is to kill you. To say “shoot to wound” is one of the most stupidest things anyone can say. Yes, it is sad that this man is dead, but to point a gun at these officers was clearly an attempt to commit “suicide by cop”. The only thing this officer has done wrong is that he should have shot him with a firearm, not a tazer the first time the man pointed the gun. And by the way, the tazer is not the all solving tool you may think it to be. There is a percentage of people out there that it will not work on. And there are times when a full contact does not allow the tazer to function. So…now that Ive chastized you enough…go back to watching your TV with the tin foil for antennas and drink another PBR….Cheers.

• john says:

Sorry buddy but there really is no such thing as shooting to wound. You shoot to kill. You are taught to aim at the largest target area which is the chest and that’s it. Even then in a stressful situation you just hope you can still hit what you are aiming at.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

…of applying deadly force?

The ONLY justification for the use of deadly force is that you were in fear of death or grievous bodily injury to yourself or a third party. When you shoot to wound, you immediately call into question exactly how much “in fear” you truly were. You can be indicted if you shoot to wound and you get a DA who argues you must not have been all that scared.

There are several reasons why a taser application may fail, anything from missing the suspect to only hitting him with one dart, to thick clothing to equipment malfunction. There are also people who, whether due to alcohol, drugs, or simple adenaline, can shake off a taser as if it were a bean shooter.

What’s important to remember is that the deputies were under no obligation to even try tasers. The minute this guy pointed a firearm at them they were totally justified in shooting him on the spot.

That my friend is against the law. Officer can NOT shoot someone to maim them for life. Then the officer will be sued for cause the person pain and suffering for the rest of there life. As bad as it sounds Law Officer are trained to shot to kill. If you don’t like that then contact the government and have then change the law to allow officer to start shooting people in the arm or leg.

• Dr Lightman says:

These cops around here are loose cannon cowboy losers who get their rocks off by perpetrating violence on anybody they think they can get away with bullying. They need to give every single deputy a psychological evaluation and I’d guarantee that not one of these losers would pass. All of them are psychopaths.

If they couldn’t think of another way to subdue, disarm or talk down a 73 year old man they’re either psychopaths or dumber than a box of rocks.

I live very near where this man was murdered by the cops and I can tell you that I’m not afraid of criminals, I’m afraid of the deputies that believe it’s their job to murder innocent people.

It’s also hilarious that a deputy tried to obstruct the view of the media, it just goes to show you that a cover-up is more important to the cops than the truth. People have a right to know the absolute ineptitude and irresponsibility the BCSO embodies.

• Truth be known... says:

he probably died up blood loss especially considering his age. Many older people are on blood thinners. Regardless, who would want to take someone’s life had they not felt threatened of their own? Regardless of being a law enforcement officer or not, that is something you will forever remember but as with anyone else, it would most certainly be zsomeone else’s life over your own. Tasers also do not work on everyone. I hate that a life was lost but the man should have put his weapons down and surrendered.

Next time you need help don’t call 911, call a crackhead.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Ever read the “American Rifleman?”

There are two news reports in it this month’s edition, one about a sixty-something man in Michigan and another guy from New Mexico who was seventy.

They were both home when they were surprised by burglars, and both of them killed the burglar with handguns.

I have no idea how infirmed and debilitated you think the average seventy-three year-old is, but I wouldn’t suggest dismissing one pointing a firearm at you lightly.

You know it really aggrivates me when people comment on things when they know nothing about the situation. I’m in law enforecement, and granted some officers, deputies, etc. do make mistakes big and small just like everyone else….its called being human. God didnt make us perfect. No we are not loose cannons, we just do what we have to do to be able to go home at night to our families. Any officer would have done the same thing. Yes it is unfortunate the fate of this man but he was lucky the first time he pointed the gun that he didnt get shot then. As for psych evaluations, every law enforcement agent gets one before getting hired. Law enforcement officers do not think its their job to kill someone, actually every officer prays not to have to take the life of another human being because we know it just doesnt affect us and our families, it also affects the person getting shot’s families. We dont try to cover anything up we just try to keep info out of the public until we get all the information so when we tell it to the public, its the truth instead of what is believed to have happened as well as to keep the victims name out of the public until their family is notified in person rather than to hear it in the news. I understand you have your own opinion but I ask you to try and step in our shoes a while and see what we have to deal with everyday. Its now always us just riding in cars and having “fun”

• smythej says:

FYI, getting shot by a 72 year old will kill you the same as being shot by a 32 year old. If someone has a gun in a threating manner would you prefer they stop, or be maybe a little bit less threating but still a threat? There is no such thing as shot to wound except on TV. Good shoot.

• peon says:

Just trying to visualize the gentleman pointing his loaded weapon at the deputy and shooting him, but not killing him.Deputies are trained to stop the threat and thats just what this deputy did.!!!

• RETIRED COP says:

Shoot to wound is only done on television. Police are trained to eliminate the threat. There have been too many cases in the past where officers shot to wound only to be killed by the same person the wounded. And your are , you don’t know why the tazer didn’t work…. I’m sure the deputy doesn’t know either, he had to react in a split second, not sitting watching the news….. Big difference uh!!!!! Believe me, the last thing he wanted to do was take a life.

Tasers and sprays don’t work on some people. Officers train to stop the threat, not shoot in the leg, arm, hand or foot. Center mass is the main target.

• fozbot98 says:

First, I am an officer and have taken the wonderful MMPI. And passed. I love what I do but when someone like you accuses the entire profession of being a “loose cannon”, I have to say something. Who do you think you are to second guess a split second decision Deputy Genda made. He tried another way to subdue the 73 year old man. He tried to taze him. It didn’t work. The first time that weapon was pointed at the deputy, he was well within his legal rights to shoot him. He didn’t. He took a less lethal approach. The gun was pointed again. Then the deputy fired. According to one report, he fired two shots. He didn’t unload the gun. He was still in control of his actions. I hate the fact that it happened for both families involved, but you are a complete moron.

As far as your other comment, it is not an officer’s job to “murder” anyone. Our job is to protect you from the criminals so you have the freedom to sit there and judge. You’re welcome. This man made a choice and pointed a gun at a deputy; twice. Would have rather added to the 69 officers killed so far this year and specifically the 31 killed by gunfire? How about the 158 last year with 59 killed by gunfire? We have a philosphy in our profession. We know people like you exist so “it’s better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.”

Since you some spare time late at night, research suicide by cop. It is a real and growing problem. This may or may not have been, but since you seem to think we want to shoot everyone, maybe you should educate yourself.

The lights are not used as a cover-up. It ensures the facts can be located before the media starts trying the case. I can assure you the SBI will do a fair and complete investigation. They don’t play favorites with anyone.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Uh oh someone forgot to take there daily dose of Xanax.

• Guest_2011 says:

Wow… I’d have to say this is the most ignorant post I’ve seen yet. The interesting thing is many of these individuals that work at that office also, at one time or another, fought for your rights to be able to post ignorant rants like this.

• harborite says:

Many of you reading this article may not know Bud Brown but we did. He was a kind and generous man. He was my husbands friend. We are shocked by the events of last night by the police department. We are indeed a small coastal community and every life here is precious. God Bless Bud, his dear wife, family ,friends, and the community of Sunset Harbor.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

…pointing a firearm at deputies.

End of Bud, end of story.

• Person says:

The Officer that shot this man was in fact a close family friend of mine. I can not stress it to you enough that he did what was right. The man wanted to die. He pointed the LOADED gun at the officer.

Let’s have some respect for the families here. The man who was killed surely has a family who may be reading this. The officer probably has a family as well. I don’t think there should be any finger pointing or patting anyone on the back. There is not really enough facts here to judge anything.

How may times, and how long would you wait for someone to keep pointing a weapon at you!

Self-Defense is a law on the books! It also applies to LEO’s.

• openminded says:

Until you are faced with the decision to pull the trigger or allow the possibility of innocent bystanders be shot no one can be a fair judge to either side of this incident. My prayers are with all parties involved and I hope that there will come a day when no one needs to carry a weapon to defend themself or others.

I like how ppl always try to dig dirt.. Deputy did the right thing.. The deputy tried voice commands and then non-lethal weapon with no effects, next step is deadly force. The suspect pointed a firearm at the deputy and he did the right thing and took him down.. PPL need to stop with all the dirt digging and let the LEO’s do their job.. Great Job BCSO.

I am a former LEO. Something is not exactly right here. Not ready to condemn the officer, but not ready to compliment him either. Someone else mentioned that officers are trained to kill rather than wound for liability reasons. I don’t remember this ever being mentioned during my training or any other time. I don’t really buy that statement. The one about shooting toward the largest part of the body is true, however, just common sense. Of course, we all know that the deputy will be cleared of any and all wrongdoing, regardless of the facts. No need to waste time investigating.

• Grand Ole Party says:

I can see why you are a FORMER Leo, if you were ever even that. Officers are trained to kill when shooting, not wound. Research it.

GOP…hey, Doofus..go back and read the part about liability reasons…..