FIRST ON 3: Stars: ‘One Tree Hill’ coming back for season 9

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 05/18/2011 - 3:55am
Updated: Wed, 05/18/2011 - 2:42pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — “One Tree Hill” is coming back for at least part of a ninth season. Stars Sophia Bush and Austin Nichols Tweeted Tuesday afternoon that the CW has ordered 13 new episodes for next season.

“Congrats #OTH fans!,” Bush Tweeted. “Keeping your fingers crossed worked! Season9 is officially picked up for 13 episodes! Tune in TONIGHT for the S8 finale!”

“We just got picked up for 13 episodes. OTH cannot be killed thanks to the fans,” Nichols wrote on the social media site. “Season finale tonight.”

The CW’s teen drama turned 20-something family drama airs it’s season finale tonight, and it was still unclear if the network will pick the show up for a ninth season. The CW is set to announce its fall line-up Thursday.

Twitter has been a buzz with fans and insiders pushing for at least one last partial season to wrap up the story of a group of friends from the fictional town of Tree Hill, NC. The show’s official Twitter account has encouraged fans to “Let the network know you don’t want it to be the series finale!” and “The cast is in 4 season 9! Are U? Let the CW know U want season 9!”

The show shares a long legacy of TV in Hollywood East that started with “Dawson’s Creek” from 1998 to 2003.

Not only have the shows meant business for film crews and suppliers in the area. They’ve also developed a cottage industry of fan tourism, as faithful viewers have traveled from around the world to see their favorite locations from both shows, including the Clothes Over Bros/Karen’s Cafe set in downtown Wilmington.

• ylrebmik says:

I have watched all 8 episodes, and feel like I have grown up with the characters, especially since I was actually in high school when I started watching this show. I have laughed and cried along with the characters and I feel that although the past few episodes were a little slow, they were all about something that we, in the reality world, could relate to, things like family, relationships, love, careers, and so on. I was so happy for Brooke when she found out she got pregnant! I’ve been trying to get pregnant myself, and there were some episodes I couldn’t watch without a box of kleenex!

I was definitely disappointed when many of the old characters (Lucas, Peyton) didn’t come out this season, but I’m hoping they will join the show next season in order to make a true and memorable finale. I really sincerely hope that both the actors and CW will consider this, even if it’s just for an episode or two. I’m sure all the fans will appreciate it, and it will definitely be remembered for a long time.
    Some of you may not like One Tree Hill, or some may think that it’s about time to call it quits, but I’m sure there are many out there who can’t wait to find out what happens to Brook’s new family, or to Dan Scott rekindling his relationship with Nathan, etc.

I personally can’t wait.

• 1 one fan says:

i strogly feel that only making 13 esipode of one tree hill is i strogly not only should the show go on they keep all then new charters and old and bring back lucus and peyton and rateing will increase and make the show way more ejoyable not that it is not now but mix the new with old and think the show would be even more encredible and your rating will go out the roof. if you cancle I stroglybelive cws wil tank in ratting and enjoyment I know for one that I will veto that channel if you cancle. I have enjoyed each and everyone of the epsiodes and each season cant wait for the new seaon.
    We oth follower have watched the gange grow up and think you owe it to let watch the whole gange familys grow up and watch what happens will all the new ppl.there not just characters to me there ppl I strongly belive I should get to watch a flersh I have medcail problem and watching the ppl grow and flershish . I bleive taking that enjoyment away would big mistake and im sure there plently more peopole that are in the same sitution and even take the show away from others I blieve is incredible wrong and cws will go down with show.

• Karissa says:

LOVE TREE HILL! Bring it back long enough for us to have some closure! The season 8 finale was great and seemed almost final but not quite. We need to lucas and peyton and their girl one more time!!
    All these idiot shows are making the line-up and they are taking off the shows we all watch and love!!

• Joanne Spike says:

Thank you for adding another season!! I love all of the story lines.
    I want to see Luke and Peyton with their baby, Sawyer. I want to see Dan go down in flames. I’d like to see Karen and Andy get married and Nathan and Hailey amongst all the other wonderful story lines.
    Thank you for another season!!
    Joanne K. Spike

• Guest jamie doud says:

I absolutely love oth that I named my daughter haylee James after haylee on oth. I will die if you take it off the air!!!

• megan says:

Only 13 episodess!??!?? but definitely glad it is coming back for the 9th season!!!!!!!! :)

• prithika says:

one tree hill is god to mee!! so glad its come back for a season 9, but 13 episodes is just toooo less for the fans, pls have a 24 episode one:D, PLS BRING LEYTON BACK, OTH NEEDS THEMM!!!!!!

• katb says:

i have been there since its inception and have enjoyed every episode. i am looking forward to many more. with so many daily soaps going off air its nice to have a weekly fix, with a start and finish but an interesting on going story. thanks for the ride so far

• Diane says:

I am so glad that One Tree Hill is coming back. I love the show its a great show always look forward to Mondays when it comes on. Please don’t ever get rid of this show. They take all the good shows off the air. For example Summerland,Ghost Wisper,Seventh Heaven etc… This is a good one to so keep it going.

• Natasha says:

I am so glad they are keeping OTH on for another season, and I hope it doesn’t stop there. I absolutely love this show and the actors and storylines! Keep up the good work OTH cast and crew!!

• Theresa Calbert says:

Thank God they coming back love it they need lucas and peyton back too.

• Jen Curtis says:

OMG!
    I was so upset bc I thought one tree hill was over! Dont EVER stop One Tree Hill! My life won’t be the same… even though my husband would probably be happy! :)

• OTH ALWAYS AND FOREVER says:

LOVE OTH SO MUCH I NAMED MY SON AFTER JAMES AND HIS CHARECTER NATHAN MY SON’S NAME IS JAMES NATHANIEL WE CALL HIM (NATHAN) SO FOR THAT ALONE THE SHOW MUST GO ON

• Sarah D. says:

I was so worried last night that the show would be ending. I named my daughter Payton because at the time she was my favorite in the show. My next daughter will be named Brook. I absolutely love the story and have since season 1. Thank you!!!

• Linda says:

I have been an avid (or rabid) fan of OTH since season 3. I was hooked and bought seasons 1 & 2 so I could catch up. One Tree Hill day is my favorite day of the week. I was almost in tears last night when I thought OTH was over. I am so happy to hear that there will be a season 9. Way to go fans – just goes to show that the people do still have some power. Congratulations to the cast and crew of One Tree Hill – please keep on doing what your doing, all us fans love the show and you. P.S. James Lafferty – please renew your contract the show won’t be the same without Nathon or Nahaily for that matter.

• Guestasis says:

We-we-we so excited
    We so excited

Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)
    Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)
    Fun, fun, fun, fun
    Lookin’ forward to the weekend

• Jenny says:

Thank God they have another season. There is no other show that I love more than One Tree Hill. I’ve been a dedicated fan since Episode 1. I have a home video of my family watching the Pilot Episode in 2003….this was when I was in love with Chad Michael Murray (he stole my heart in Gilmore Girls/Dawson’s Creek). From that day forth I was hooked, and my kids fell in love with Tree Hill too. Watching One Tree Hill together became part of our Family Bonding. I am so happy to see they will be returning.

• Kelly says:

I am so excited that there will be a ninth season. I love the show. The writing is incredibly, and the actors are superb. I have been watching since day one. There is so much more of the story to tell. Thank you for never disappointing with the story lines. Go OTH!!!!!

• Amanda says:

I’m OTH’s biggest fan! I don’t ever want to see it go!!! It’s the only day of the week I get excited and just cant wait for it to begin!!! I’ll be lost without it! I just wanted to cry tonight when I knew it was the season finale. I love everything about it and especially “Brooke & Julian” :-)

• Guestgustd says:

I’m not really in their fan base, but the benefit of having this program in Wilmington is good for the local economy. Local people on the crew working, local businesses profiting, restaurants and hotels getting business are all good. Keep the shows coming in!

• Maurene says:

I am so thrilled. Thanks for letting the babies be fine. Life is full of surprises good and bad and its nice to have some miracles along the way and Brooke having Twins is a great story line. Can’t wait for Season 9. Love the show and everyone in it. God Bless