7 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Pieces of the demolished World Trade Center will soon make their way to the Cape Fear.

Sources tell WWAY Wilmington firefighters will pick up two pieces of the World Trade Center June 6 in New York. The pieces will arrive back here in Wilmington two days later, where they will be unveiled at Independence Mall.

The World Trade Center pieces will then go on permanent display. One will be at the new fire station at Empie Park. The other will go to Cape Fear Community College’s North Campus.

Comment on this Story

7 Comments on "FIRST ON 3: WFD, CFCC to get pieces of World Trade Center"

Guest6381
2015 years 9 months ago

The 9-11 event was one of the darkest days in American history. However, we have moved on since then, so why keep dredging up memories of what happened? I guess Americans thrive on drama, fanfare, scandals and such. Some things need to be put to rest as nothing can be done to change history. The best we can do is to learn from it, move on and do whatever is necessary to prevent it from happening again, even if it is not politically correct.

Commonsensenotcommontoday
2015 years 9 months ago

Pearl Harbor, the Alamo, Gettysburg, and Valley Forge as well? You must be one of those people who believe that history is unimportant and nothing more than trivia.

It was a pivotal moment in American History and I (along with the other sane members of society) never want to forget about that day. It not only impacted this country’s foreign policy, but its domestic policy as well. It awoke this country to the knowledge that two immense oceans are no barriers when we invite our enemies to come live in our midst. It changed the psyche of the entire globe.

The SUREST way to incur another September Eleventh is to forget about the last one for even a minute. I want it fresh on everyone’s mind. I want the videos of people leaping to their death to escape the fires played every year on the anniversary. I want to hear Bin Laden talking about “results beyond our wildest expectations.” I want kids to see those planes slamming into those buildings to show them what our enemies are capable of and to mentally steel themselves in preparation for what lies ahead.

Forget?

I don’t think so.

Guest33
2015 years 9 months ago

We have to keep those thoughts fresh in our minds. We have to keep the war machine rolling on. A lot of people depend on that for a livelihood.

Remember they attacked us because we love freedom.

Smp
2015 years 9 months ago

To catorgorize memorializing 9/11 with “drama/fanfare/scandal” is sad. Dark or not it is History and there are many people alive today that have been and will be affected by this ~ the fact that our men and women are still giving their all (soldiers and their families)for us who are able to sit here and be with our families and work normal jobs (not 24/7 in 120 degree + heat) is more then enough reason to celebrate what they are doing and memorialize what happened. So sad that some dont agree but still take advantage of the freedom that we are provided!

Guest123456
2015 years 9 months ago

Ya, i don’t think our love of freedom is the reason we were attacked. There are a lot of free countries out there that aren’t being attacked. I think it was because of our support for Israel, and the troops we kept in Saudi Arabia. I think that because I’m not 8 years old and its what they keep telling us…..

Guest:guest2
2015 years 9 months ago

Commonsense, I agree 100%. Sadly, too many American have a short memory about alot of things.

Neo
2015 years 9 months ago

I agree 9/11 should be remembered, however what is more important to remember is the sacrifice those made against the tyranny of Great Britian, that founded the country. I feel the spirit of the Revolution has been lost.