District Court Judge John Carroll has died

Tags: , ,

Submitted: Wed, 05/25/2011 - 7:44pm
Updated: Wed, 05/25/2011 - 8:57pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — District Court Judge Judge John Carroll has died. District Attorney Ben David confirmed the news to WWAY.

Carroll served New Hanover and Pender Counties. David says Carroll leaves behind four young children.

There are no details yet about what happened. Stay with WWAY for more information as it becomes available.

FROM A NEWS RELEASE FROM NEW HANOVER COUNTY: Flags on all New Hanover County buildings are being lower to half staff due to the death of the Honorable District Court Judge, John J. Carroll, III. Judge Carroll. Flags will remain lowered in his honor through his internment.

Judge Carroll had served on the bench of District 5 for more than a decade. He was most recently re-elected in 2008 for another four-year term.

• Laurie says:

John was am amazing father, a loving husband and wonderful judge. I will miss seeing him in the hallways at school. He was very supportive of all teachers.

• Cigars says:

John was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last week. Very sad and sudden. My prayers and thought are with the family. Especially for his father, who is in intensive care from a heart attack a couple of weeks ago.

• H Idol says:

We lost a wonderful friend, judge, serviceman and advisor today. John touched many lives in a most positive way and was a delight to know. He will be deeply missed. Our heart and prayers go out to his dear, sweet family during this most difficult time.

• RWR Hampstead says:

Not too many public figures are of the character & quality of Judge Carroll. He will be sorely missed.

• The Nettells says:

John you will be missed and thank you for always being there for our family as a wonderful friend.Our Prayer go out to your wonderful wife and children and Family..Love the Nettells

• Guest II says:

Rest in Peace Sir, you will be sorely missed.

• dee carroll says:

what a loss to our community. i am glad he didn’t suffer too long.hes hanging with the angels for sure. fly high judge Carroll you lived your life well!condolences to his family..

• GuestWilliam says:

I was saddened to hear of the loss of Judge John Carroll. I will remember him as an honest and fair Judge. I am also appreciative of his service to my country.

My prayers and condolences go out to his family.

• Kim says:

My heart goes out to judge Carroll’s family. I did’nt know him personally,however, I have been in front of him a couple of times and he was always a fair person. He will be greatly missed.

• 12th LSO says:

All of us at the 12th LSO will miss LTC Carroll very much. He was a true patriot and was very much beloved by the soldiers in his military unit. I can still see John with that big grin and a cigar sticking out of the corner of his mouth. Prayers to your family.

• SurfCityTom says:

he did not appear to be in poor health when I saw him in Burgaw.

• john valente says:

It has become a sad day for me, after hearing the news. Judge Carroll was a good friend,and a customer of my company. It was always a pleasure to sit with him and talk. A possitive attitude and very honest.We will miss you,SIR.

John Valente
    Magic Carpet Cleaning Services

• TONY SMITH says:

i will miss seeing my friend at the ball fields. it was always a delight to speak with with John. I didn’t know him for long, but he always had a smile and never had anything negative to say.

• CarrollFan says:

Judge Carroll was a good judge, I hope some of the others took notes.

• Ewing says:

He was a great judge, father, soldier, and mentor. New Hanover and Pender Counties just lost a fine judge who never feared standing up for what was right, no matter the consequences, and who understood what justice truly was…God Speed Judge Carroll.

Prayers go out to his family!

• Rollin says:

This area has lost a great asset to citizens, victims and law enforcement agencys alike. Judge Carroll was a firm but fair judicial official who was respected by the criminal justice world, and feared by those who appeared before him after being charged with serious crimes. I can only imagine what a personal loss his family is facing. For those of us who knew and respected him, he will be severely missed.

Hate to hear this news. He was a good man and a fine judge. God and cancer do mysterious things, at least in our eyes. Going to miss you Judge and friend!