ONLY ON 3: HOA threatens to fine military mom for tribute to troops

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Mon, 05/30/2011 - 8:37pm
Updated: Tue, 05/31/2011 - 8:46pm By:

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The mother of a US soldier serving overseas says her homeowners association has threatened to fine her for her tribute to the troops.

Kelly Hill lives in the Willoughby Park subdivision off of Carolina Beach Road. Her son, Sgt. Zakary Faircloth, is in his second tour of duty in Afghanistan in three years.

To support her son and all of the troops, she hung a decorative flag from her door, but her homeowners association said no, even on Memorial Day.

“It’s something you can’t explain, the feeling that you have for your child being over there in danger and wondering why people can’t support that,” Hill said.

Hill and other neighbors are not happy about the situation.

“I’m disappointed,” neighbor Dawn Schuffle said. “It’s disturbing to me that they would ask someone to take something like that down.”

Hill took down the flag, but still has her home as patriotic as the homeowners association will allow.

• corpsmanwife says:

whats so tacky about the american flag in the first place? I mean really you live here in the United States are you really so arrogant as to say that it is tacky (no you didn’t say it but you did write this ungodly response to an article about someone displaying a flag…)
    In response to the rest of it.. WOW.. you really should be proud of yourself… better than the rest of us.. then packing your bags and go live in china, cuba or any of the other communist nations.. I’m sure they’d be glad to have your aesthetically unhappy self.

Thank you, and thank your son and his friends whenever you get an opportunity to communicate with him. I hope he’s OK. My family and extended family (which includes at least 3 active duty) appreciate their service and every thing that the military and their families have to endure. If I was the owner of the home you are renting, there would be some changes taking place, that’s for sure…..

• Charles "Wayne" White says:

First off, American flags should be displayed at all times regardless of what rules state. I am Kelly Hills son in law and I believe that anyone who believes that American flags should only be displayed on holidays should be deported to Mexico or another country, or better yet sent to fight in Iraq or Afghanistan. Let those idiots get shot because we dont need those types of people acting like they are patriotic on 3 holidays a year. As long as there is a Soldier, Sailor, Marine or Airman deployed those flags need to fly. Obviously you have never had a loved one that has died for this country and your opinion doesnt mean anything. As for the ragged flags or “Tacky stuff” on their doors, I appreciate them for their support, you on the other hand should give back your US passport and move somewhere your opinion really matters because it doesnt here. Also if you wish to debate this a little more, you are welcome to email me at charleswhite23407@hotmail.com

• Guest 936 says:

Who would pay your taxes and Medicaid premiums if we all went ‘back’?

nananabooboo? y’all really think they are using words like “domicile” and “aesthetically”, but then referring to themselves with “nananabooboo” in the name? It’s hard to judge sarcasm without facial expressions, huh?

• Submarine Veteran 756 says:

Oh, I understand HOAs All too well…I think the original HOA was the NAZI PARTY!! If you don’t like viewing unpleasant things like the AMERICAN FLAG or CHILDREN’S TOYS, then move to FRANCE!! WE DON’T WANT YOU IN NORTH CAROLINA OR IN OUR UNITED STATES, FOR THAT MATTER!! I didn’t give 6 years of my life for YOUR freedom, just everyone else’s!

• Tired of all HOA's says:

JezebelJean, do you live in Pebble Cove?? I have a home there and now rent the place due to my not being able to tolerate the board.

• Daver says:

Yeah we should only display flags on holidays, never to support a war that happens all of the time. And for the one who says they dont like seeing kids toys in the front yard, as well as the one who complains that their neighborhood has too many flags, I guess anyone who is patriotic should just leave? The HOA’s are the ones who throw their might around. Granted you did sign on a line when you bought or built a house but some of the changes they implement, are a little much, no checks and balances.

Just spoken like someone who ACTUALLY read the restrictions BEFORE I moved into my home…like I said…don’t like the rule…CHANGE IT!

I have to view unpleasant looking humansd everyday. Let’s get rid of them too.

• Guest IAMALOCAL says:

Sounds like you need to move to Landfall! Honestly, kids toys in the front yard bother you? And I have a pickup truck too, so I resent that comment! How about just paying attention to the road and not looking at your neighbors houses when you drive by!
    Sounds like you need to move back to where ever you came from, adios.

Let the lady keep her flag up, I think it looks rather pleasant and a great tribute!

Jezebel,
    You must live in my neighborhood! Sounds exactly like our board, a bunch of busy bodies! ha! And they tend to make up rules as they go along, or change the rules without telling anyone, just to satisfy themselves. They say the residents don’t read the newsletters..I think it’s perhaps because it’s always 1/2 truths, or just the same old blah blah.

I can’t believe that you had the nerve to use the word “protection”,
    did it ever occur to you that our military risks their lives trying to “protect” the USA. How would you like it if someone told you to get out of our country because you did not follow a “STUPID” rule.
    Oh wait that’s not such a bad idea, why don’t you move from her neighborhood since you have issues. Don’t come to mine, because we don’t have an HOA, so you wouldn’t be able to throw your weight around.You would just have to learn to get along,just like they teach you when your kids.
    Leave your neighbor alone,she’s not hurting you or your HOA.Actually
    why don’t you go apologize, and while your at it thank her for her sons service to your country.

I’m in support of a petition, to dissolve this HOA on TREASON, of NOT Honoring our troops, whom are fighting a WAR, for their FASCIST Policies that are imposed on homeowners…
    IF I owned a home in the *HISTORIC DISTRICT, i’d paint my home RED/WHITE/BLUE and DARE, anyone, to make Me “confirm” to “thier” policies……
    WHERE is your SPINE, WOMAN!
    STAND UP against what you think is RIGHT! In addition to what isn’t FAIR, or expression of your rights & Opinions & LIBERTIES & Country!!
    Or are you another SHEEPLE?
    /rant off/

• H.O.Yay says:

I have my RV parked in my driveway and have been getting nasty letters from my HOA. I tried to tell them it was a RV in honor of the military, law enforcement, firefighters, and most importantly the children. They are still not backing off.

The HOA president even had the nerve to ask me if I read the covenants before I signed on the dotted line at the closing. Of course I didn’t waste my time reading it, and I’m not really sure what he was getting at with that question anyway.

You can’t win with these folks. I realize the flag may not be as big of a deal as my RV, but I share in the frustration.

HOA’s are un-American. Probably made up of a bunch of Obama supporters.

Thank you to all the military personnel who have served this country.

From a fellow patriot.

• wayne says:

you should not be in a hoa if you want freedom,as for your son god bless,i also served in iraq!!!!!!!!

• Marty Royal says:

As a veteran, I am appalled that anyone living in the this country of freedom, would be denied the right to honor their son. It is my wish that HOA’s in the U.S. get stripped of any power they have. I think it is a constitutional right of self expression that is being violated by the HOA. Maybe the “offender” could start an RHOA. That means Replace the Home Owner’s Association. The the status lovers on the board can look for new ways to be controlling.

• To whomever filed the complaint against Ms. Hill, please know that HER SON IS PROTECTING YOUR VERY FREEDOM to speak your opinion and file such a complaint. He will continue to protect your freedom even if you disapprove of the display of the American Flag! You need not support the war or idea of the war to support the men and women who serve us.

To Ms. Hill, we support our troops wholeheartedly, and appreciate the sacrifices your son and family have made for us. I wish that you could pack up and move, because no one should be forced to live under rules and regulations that disallow your display of the flag or other military support items in honor of your son’s service.

Your son’s service, your family’s support and your love for your son make me proud to be an American, it’s folks like the one (or more) who complained who throw me in the other direction. Keep your head high, shoulders back and full steam ahead….we’ll keep your family in our prayers that your soldier will be home soon!

the HOA sucks!!! what a bunch of JERKS!!!

• Jo A Dixon says:

Youy’re support our troops over seas.I don’t unstand how can homeowners associations put this lady child down when he out there,
    fighting for us.Don’t email me or call

Wilmington,NC

This another case of some wanna-be HOA petty politician not having the sense to come in out of the rain. Publish the names and addresses of this board so that we can send them some mail.

• Specialist says:

This HOA has crossed the line. Defend The Defenders. If you dont, then get the F*** out of the USA. The ONLY reason we have our freedom is because families like this voluntarily sacrifice themselves and their lives so that we may live in peace. Especially on Memorial Day, a flag should be allowed. This is another case of a man getting too much power and exploiting it with over-controlling rules. Blue Atlantic Management needs to come back to Earth and remember that we live in the USA and an American flag should be flown as high and proudly as possible.

• american woman says:

VERY WELL WRITTEN. AND…IM IN TOTAL AGREEMENT!!!!! I AM ASHAMED OF THIS HOA!

GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR SON AND GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

• Carole says:

What kind of ‘decorative flag’ was it? How was it displayed? More information is required. Was it the American flag? There are rules that protect and govern the display of this flag.

• Maxey says:

I agree with Guestaphil.

My street is cluttered with houses displaying U.S. flags and others, and banners–some faded and sort of ragged, and other tacky stuff in front of their doors.

I’m as patriotic as anyone, but I believe flags should be displayed only on July 4th and Memorial Day, not every day of the year.

But if an HOA prohibits displaying of flags, members should follow rules.

• Anita H. says:

To: H.O.Yay

Nice try with your sarcasm & witless banter.

Say what you will, but being the liberal socialist that you probably are, you wouldnt understand why a HOA could possibly let things go for a day/weekend, could you? Not when its not your beliefs. Ill bet if it was Mao/Stalin or any other “peaceful” dictators holiday, youd be all for it then huh?

Seems youre the only nobama supporter on this article. Why is that? No community organizing for you to do this weekend? No lies to go spread? No thespian schooling to go to learn how to speak well? No speech therapy?

Yea, thats what I thought.

Your RV is an empty suit, like your point and your leader.

• PATRIOTIC AMERICAN says:

The name of the HOA is guess who…..CAMS MANAGEMENT off Military Cutoff in Wilmington…They have had another situation at Willoughby regarding the service dog and owner in a wheelchair. CAMS has to go.. they must not be Americans if they are against flying the American flag. I live in a community and have CAMS and we can’t stand them. Our dues are quite high and only covers mowing, trash and a pool. That’s it. And complaints, never taken care of. How can you get rid of this association? Please help, we would like to retain a attorney pro bono to take on CAMS, any volunteers?

• Evelyn says:

I really feel for Ms. Hill. That is her child in service protecting the freedom and rights of the US citizens. US citizens that is inclusive of the members of that HOA board. But apparently they are unappreciative. They aren’t to be ashamed of themselves. But, as typical HOA board members, I know they are not. They don’t care. They are power hungry, insensitive snobs who care nothing about anybody but themselves. This reminds me of the Magnolia Greens HOA that forced a property owner to remove the American flag that they were flying in their backyard. How un-American! All HOAs need to be disbanded. I proudly live in a neighborhood that does not have an HOA and it is a beautiful place. It has not run amuck as most HOA claim they prevent. Shame on the people tormenting Ms. Hill. Hopefully at the next HOA election, Ms. Hill and the other neighbors will vote your sorry butts out of office. Ms. Hill, please thank your son for us “sane” people who respect what your son does for us and our country. GOD BLESS YOU!

• HOAMilitaryMOM says:

I appreciate all of the supportive comments I have received about this issue!
    I live in this development as a renter, so dealing with the HOA’s and their rules is something that I never had to deal with. The HOA fees are included in my rental contract,and I was never given a copy of the HOA rules when I moved in, so I didn’t know the rules regarding any of this.

• Theresa says:

HOA should be ashamed of themselves!!!! What a joke this woman should have the right to fly the flag. My son is about to join the Marines and I will be flying the flag . I am proud to fly that flag and to show respect for our troops.As far as I’m concerned HOA has no right to ask this woman to take down her flag especially on Memorial Day. This actually disgusts the hell out of me. HOA apparantly forgot what keeps America the free country that it is what happened to American Pride. God Bless America and God Bless our Troops and keep them safe.

unfortunately, you signed on the dotted line to AGREE to the rules. If you read the article it doesn’t say that she hung and AMERICAN FLAG to honor her son…just a “decorative” flag. I would be curious to know what the flag was…and just like in our own system of justice…there is room to have that rule CHANGED….by a vote at an HOA meeting…get support and have it changed if you don’t like it!

• Army Mom says:

As an Military Mom, I find this to be utterly disgraceful. This is a direct smack in the face to the finest Men and Women of our Nation. My son, who is only 22 years of age, is a United States Solider and more of a man than most. Especially more than the person who is hiding behind the HOA. Who complains about the act of supporting American Heroes? Maybe this individual should reside outside of the United States? Thank God for our military! HOOAH!

• BetterThanYouNananaBooBoo says:

I did not move down here to view unpleasant things in my neighborhood or anywhere else. Where my domicile is located, if the Board decides that we don’t desire bushes of certain varieties, grass above a certain height or pick up trucks where we have to view them, then it shall be. In a perfect world, HOAs should enforce beautification efforts for all neighborhoods. It is ghastly to view things that are not aesthetically pleasing as I drive. I do not wish to see a house with mismatched shutters, a front door painted a tacky color, boats or kids toys in the front yard! It is not fair that I should have to be subjected to such things.

• SurfCityTom says:

A couple of points.

When you sign the contract to purchase, the Realtor and Seller are required to provide you with copies of all HOA documents. The Buyer then has, I believe 3, days to back out of the purchase and not forfeit the deposit.

Once you sign the purchase documents, you’re on the hook. If there are so many disgruntled owners, run for the Board; replace the busy bodies; and amend the documents which govern the HOA. That’s not as easy as it sounds.

Waste of time to write your Congressman or US Senator. Look to the state level. The Legislature was to hold hearings, this term, to address heavy handed HOA tactics and suggest legislation. Have not seen that in the paper.

Finally, become familiar with state statutes which govern HOAs. Statutes over ride HOA document provisions.

HOAs are not governed by the Real Estate commission.

The old adage “Look before you leap” would seem to apply.

• Guestaphil says:

First it’s an American flag, and then it’s some tacky banner bought at WalMart to flutter in front of the house.

The HOA is correct in standing its ground on this issue. Too many flags and banners create a chaotic and distracting environment in a residential neighborhood. They distract from the calming greenery of trees, shrubs, and grass.

The mother can easily honor her son in other ways inside her home, or by wearing a patriotic pin–there are dozens of ways to honor him without breaking HOA rules.

• Robert says:

All HOA’s are essentially the same. They claim to be organized to protect property values, then end up intruding into individual lives with threats of fines and liens. Write your State Congressman and Senator insisting that they support legislation to end the power hungry approach of HOA’s and to repeal the restrictive items of the NC Planned Community Act, 47 F. You can make a difference. Our individual freedoms and civil rights are being violated.

• A Real American says:

Ms.brendlee99 or Ms Steward:

Still cant over your other attempt of prying into business that you have no right to,You lost there and you 4 sure will loose here, perhaps there is a job 4 u in some nazie based association, O yeah that’s right, as a woman you wont be able to open up ur stinking mouth over there. God Bless This Land, cuz here we have choices, even for the most stupidiest of people!!!!!

As former military, I feel that there should be some sort of written law that anyone should be able to display our flag anywhere they choose as long as it is done properly. HOAs should have no say in the matter. However, YOU were presented with the rules and regulations of the HOA. Hopefully you read them and if you did not understand, you asked questions. YOU signed an agreement binding you to their rules. Now, YOU have to have to play their game. If you did not like being restricted as to what you could display, or what you could park in your yard, you should have looked elsewhere for a home. Too late to whine now. You signed your name on the dotted line.

And you no doubt are an Obama supporter.

• JezebelJean says:

I am currently living in an HOA-CONTROLLED community and will NEVER buy another house with an HOA. The Board of Directors is a group of busybody, nit-picking, micromanaging, power-hungry control freaks who walk around with notebooks and cameras looking for anyone in violation of the blessed covenants which are intended to make the development a better place to live, but which, in reality, turn it into a police state. These enforcers are people basically shriveled with fear. “What if somebody puts up a 10-foot cross in their yard?” “What if somebody puts up striped awnings?” “What if someone puts a statue of the Virgin Mary in their yard?” “What if someone puts up a tent?” These are people with too much time on their hands who would do better by volunteering someplace. I’m considering getting a cheesy nylon flag (allowed in our HOA) that has cute little butterflies and dragonflies and says, “M.Y.O.F.B.”

Is this still the United States or what?

If you never signed an agreement, you might not be bound by the rules. Make sure that it was not included in your rental contract.

Spoken like a current or former HOA President. My question is, Why do most HOA’s have an average age of 75 y/o or older?

Why is this so hard to understand? If you don’t like HOA’s and their rules then don’t live in a community that has one. If you like HOA’s and their rules then by all means purchase a house in that community. It’s no one else’s fault either way. Can’t we simply be accountable for our own decisions/actions whether things turn out in our favor or not?

• True says:

CAMS is simply the management company that your HOA Board of Directors hired…they don’t make the rules, they enforce them as they exist within the association’s RR&C and Bylaws. The BOARD tells CAMS what to do. If your board won’t look into other management companies you and your fellow homeowners can have a petition requesting a special meeting to replace the board if necessary and to replace CAMS. That doesn’t require an attorney…simply concerned neighbors that are willing to do a little work.

• true says:

guest81, there is a rule stating we have a right to display the American flag. I believe what is in question here is that she displayed an altered version of that flag and hung it on her door vs a flag pole.

§ 47F‑3‑121. American and State flags and political sign displays.
    Notwithstanding any provision in any declaration of covenants, no restriction on the use of land shall be construed to:
    (1)Regulate or prohibit the display of the flag of the United States or North Carolina, of a size no greater than four feet by six feet, which is displayed in accordance with or in a manner consistent with the patriotic customs set forth in 4 U.S.C. §§ 5‑10, as amended, governing the display and use of the flag of the United State (which states the flag should be displayed on a flag pole, etc…and not be altered)

• true says:

I really must check the IDs of my fellow board members. At 56 I’m probably the oldest of the group ;)

HOAs in NC have too much power. We need new legislation on this. NC is making money of the whole HOA system. You can not build a new neighborhood in NC without establishing an HOA. If it’s my property and my home that I am paying for I should be able to do what ever I want with it. Someone needs to make a change. It seems that the HOA now causes more harm than good.

• Doug E says:

Are you patriotic enough to put the time and effort in to get the rule changed, or just patriotic enough to complain on the internet?

• virgogirl says:

You my friend are a giant snob! Glad I’m not your neighbor!

…pencil necked, nit-picking do-gooders that have nothing else better to do that search for cheesy HOA violations in your prim and proper, stepford-style neighborhoods would take I-95 North as far and as fast as you can go.

Now…Howzabout that for a freekin’ RULE!?!?

…you can buckle YOUR commoner pudendum into your auto and GO BACK there! We don’t tolerate loud-mouthed and arrogant people such as yourself.

“It is ghastly to view things that are not aesthetically pleasing as I drive.”

You poor thing. YOU make me sick! It is completely obvious that none of you rule mongering NIMBY’s ever served a single day serving your country OR protecting our rights to freedom. You haven’t a clue as to what “ghastly” even means. You’ve never seen war, never seen death, never been so scared you couldn’t scream if you had to. It’s the likes of you that piss their boots on the first day of BC because you get yelled at by the DI. Where I come from we call YOU cowards without a backbone.

But you’re a real BIGSHOT on that HOA board aren’t you?

• brendle99 says:

That is not a flag you displayed. The rules are for your protection also. not just for you. You have neighbors who need protection from your unlawful action,also. Play by the rules or get out. Quit bitching.

• GuestLee says:

With all the things wrong in the world, you are worried about grass above a certain height, mismatched shutters, and toys in the front yard??? You must live in Landfall (or wish you were).

Think about the folks who just went through all the tornadoes and now don’t even have a home! Some don’t even have a life…or a family! You need a serious attitude adjustment. What a snob!

• JezebelJean says:

Does your HOA know that you refer to yourself as “BetterThanYouNananaBooBoo?” Really? That’s tackier than a gaudy shutter.

• Guest2012 says:

I’m not leaving! But, I am with you Guest 461 and hate stupid HOA’s who think they are the gustapo and have too much time on their hands…and want to disrupt normal peoples lives, who are JUST LIVING LIFE, right?

I am a northerner, but have assimilated into a wonderful environment with friends from all over the country. I feel bad that the people who constantly tell the northerners to go back up north, do not seem to understand that is not how to have a LOGICAL argument.

So sorry, but the argument telling people to leave and go back north, is a worthless one, because not all people that we disagree with are “northerners”. Sometimes, it is CLEAR as crystal, like the tightly wound loonybin cocobird who said, “I didn’t come “down here” to look at blah, blah, blah…
    Other times, it is not clear that the people are northerners…but when there are differing opinions, it is assumed…as much. So, do southerners hate northerners really? I have heard this, but never experienced it until reading these blogs, which I will probably quit doing because I am getting sick of being told to leave…when I have a RIGHT TO BE ANYWHERE I WANT TO BE, and a right to voice an opinion.

People who post a different opinion on WWAY are always being told to leave and take XYZ something or other with them. Sheeeezzz!

I do not agree with the stifflers of our freedoms in the form of HOA’s or people telling others to leave.

Unfamiliar with not being encouraged to voice an opinion and unfamiliar with these things called HOA’s, we initially thought an HOA may be a ‘good thing’ when we moved (to wilmington from Il.) fifteen years ago.

We soon learned that we must have chosen to live in the worst of worst HOA neighborhoods in Wilmington near Miliary Cutoff Rd.
    The HOA members were all “NATIVES” and all had that stupid license plate that staked their claim. * You don’t see them around anymore…but in the mid 90’s, they were prevalent.

These goofballs gathered every evening to discuss new birdhouses, birdfeeders,garden decorations or the most serious infraction, a flag of any type. Then, they contacted the HOA enforcer guy…with the clipboard. There was NO talking to these people, they were the biggest snobs of the universe…and we almost immediately put our house up for sale. We left the neighborhood as soon as possible, and have been flying Old Glory Proudly most of the time, but always on Holidays!
    Just like this land being your land, it is my land too and I am staying, and staying away from tightly wound bug-eyed busy bodies, no matter where they are from. Let’s be friends. I love you southerners. You’re cool!

• GuestLee says:

Way to go, Guest 461…couldn’t have said it better myself.

• Guest2012 says:

BRENDLE99,

What was it? Why are you so clandestine? Why Please, Do Tell! IT MUST have been HORRIBLE, ATROTIOUS, and Gadawful???

And…There you go, telling someone to “GET OUT”!!! All she did was Break A Rule, albeit stupid rule, but …. so what?!? Fine her or tell her she needs to cease and decist, but don’t lower yourself to name calling and pushing your weight around by telling someone to LEAVE!!! Quite possibly, this Wonderful Patriot, you know, the breaker of HOA rules, may have made a mistake and forgot you had your panties in a knot.

Read my post about having a logical argument and NOT resorting to immediately telling people that they should leave just because YOU do not agree with them…

What makes you really sure that YOU should stay???

• Guest2012 says:

Sorry, I didn’t re-read the article today because I saw it last night. However, I just noticed that WWAY has a picture of the tasteful display of affection for our men and women at war for us.

My familes DOES INDEED support our troops!
    We support your neighbors son!
    God Bless him for loving you enough to fight for your right to tell his mom to LEAVE her own neighborhood.

Man! What a lotta nerve!

One last thought about insane RULES is that little girls and womens hands are routinely run over by trucks in Iran as sadistic men hold them down for stealing a piece of fruit. Do you think you would make a good IRANIAN. I do!

In perspective now, how big of a battle are you waging and WHY? Why? Oh WHY???

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

If she was suddenly told out of the blue, that she couldn’t hang her banner because an HOA had formed unilaterally and was now imposing itself on her will, she would be correct in “fighting back.”

She volunteered for this tyranny, however. She didn’t HAVE to live in that housing development, she CHOSE to. She could have gone elsewhere.

So she has a right to protest an “unjust law,” but it’s pretty silly when she said, “I accept that unjust law as a condition of living here.”

• Patriot in NY says:

This country, THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, was FOUNDED on citizens fighting back against tyranny and unjust laws. Military Mom and others DO NOT have to stand for unjust laws, and have every right as Americans to fight them.

American citizens have fought back and protested unjust laws since the Revolution. Patriotic Americans forced the Supreme Court to overturn its own unjust “separate but equal” laws that divided water fountains into “white” and “colored.” Clearly, even democratic societies can have tyrannical laws — so how dare anyone say Military Mom doesn’t have the right to fight tyranny like any other American?

• HOAMilitaryMOM says:

IF YOU CAN’T STAND BEHIND THE SOLDIERS, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!
    Before making any RUDE or INSENSITIVE comments on here, keep in mind the soldiers have access to computers in order to have contact their families and can see the comments that are made on here about this issue, and it is nothing but a slap in their face. When ZAK does come home, I INVITE YOU TO COME TO MY HOME AND MAKE THESE NEGATIVE RUDE AND HATEFUL COMMENTS TO HIS FACE. I’m pretty sure none of you will have the audacity to do that because it is easy for you to sit behind your computer annonymously and make hateful comments, like the woman interviewed on the news tonight who wanted her face blocked out! Coward. Yes, it may have been a “cheesy, decorative flag”, but regardless, it wasn’t distasteful. It had been displayed a month before a disgruntled neighbor made the complaint and that is where all of this started. Who by the way is in Violation of the HOA rules for displaying For Rent signs in her windows!!!! She has 3!!!

• HOAMilitaryMOM says:

It was not an OFFICIAL American Flag. It was a decorative flag that had a large yellow ribbon on it and across the top it stated “SUPPORT OUR TROOPS”. I placed this flag up when the Bin Laden story emerged and because of the upcoming Memorial holiday.We are not allowed to install flag brackets, so I just taped it up onto the door. Last Thursday my Rental Management Company called me and told me that there had been a complaint about the flag and I needed to take it down or be fined. Why all of a sudden, after a month of it being up, was I being asked to take it down now, was a mystery to me. So as to not endanger my rental status, I removed it. I was watching the news and they had a ad on there about calling the RANT line to vent any issues you may have. I did that not thinking in a million years anything would come of it, then the news station contacted me and this is where all of this has gone! I had no idea this would go this crazy!
    HOAMilitaryMO

• Old Soldier says:

The following was on the CNN webpage today:

Can anyone stop me from displaying the flag?

In 2006 the Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005 officially became law. This law basically says that no condo board, housing co-op, or residential real estate management group can restrict a person’s right to display the American flag on their own residential property as long as the display jibes with federal law and is reasonable.

PUT THE FLAG BACK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

People really do need to read the flag manual. The flag stands on its own. It doesn’t need a yellow ribbon or sentiment to make it “better.”

People who modify the flag or make it into a vest, bathing suit, bandana or scarf are not showing proper respect to the flag. That’s all in the federal Flag Manual.

Perhaps if this woman had hung A FLAG the HOA Nazis wouldn’t have had the intestinal fortitude to tell her to take it down?

• Guesttoo says:

…only in America do we fight, sometimes at the expense of human life, to protect our right to live in a free country…only to choose to live under a Socialist (re: HOA) regime.

• Challengetheworld says:

They made the wrong decision here. They are a horrible management company. I am a reluctant customer and I’m going to do all I can to get them out of my neighborhood.

They made the wrong decision here.

• chris fahey says:

since when is there a rule to hang the flag? that board should go to IRAN.

• Christopher Fahey says:

displaying old glorly is above homa rules this is a right that has NO rules attached

• Paul says:

I know Kelly and can’t support her enough on this subject. What is the USA coming to, when we have Memorial Day and can’t even express it with a symbolic flag that shows support for your troups, which one of those is her son. Way to go Kelly, I am proud of you. Shame on the HOA, that is ridiculous. Sure, rules are set forth, but this one makes no sense and the homeowners should vote these incompetent people out. How patriotic of a person are you if you disagree?

• Tracy says:

As I am sitting here reading all of these posts, I cant help feel how sad these people truly are to complain, deny someone from supporting our troops. To the person that complained ask yourself this.. how would you feel if a terrorist killed your own family? How would you feel if a bomb went off while you were in a public place? I would think you would feel different about these men and women who place their own life in danger for YOU EVERYDAY… protecting that bomb or killing from happening… Firemans, Law Officers, Military put their own life to save YOU… and you have enough nerve and hatred in your heart to not support this cause. I am a PROUD mother of an Army Soldier and another son who is on his way in joining the Marines… and whats sad is they dont discreminate putting their own life on the line for people like you.. They chose to serve and protect everyone, even someone as hateful as you…. I wonder if it was your life in danger and military and police saved you, would you have a different opinion.. guess what.. it is YOU, they are protecting YOU everyday…. How can you call yourself an American and live in America and not support the military or lawmen and women? It is because of them we sleep safe everynight… THANK YOU too all the military and law officers of this great country. Shame on you HOA’s board members for allowing this to happen to this family… I do live in a HOA community and I actually have two flags posted at my home and proud of it…

• Kelly Hill says:

Your comment brought tears to my eyes, AGAIN. I am really overwhelmed at the reactions and responses to this issue. I have not heard anything about the VFW or the American Legion’s involvement, however, I am truly humbled and appreciative of the support of the Soldier’s and my son. I will have my “WELCOME HOME ZAK” banner up when he also returns home in July! I never in a million years thought that this would ever turn into something so unbelievably outrageous!

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

I’m a retired Marine but I still respect CONTRACT LAW.

If you were dopey enough to agree to give these Nazi bast**ds control over your life, then you live with that decision. If you don’t like the rules, GET OUT – don’t whine to get a special exemption from the rules.

Trust the voice of experience, they don’t CARE about your sacrifices.

Hang a real American flag. It’s better than all the banners in the world and they can’t tell you to take it down as long as it’s a reasonable size and in a reasonable location.

• corpsmanwife says:

I do live in this neighborhood and am disgusted (along with many of my neighbors) about this issue. As for the “you signed, deal with it” people you ought to be ashamed. My husband along with Ms. Hill’s son are both fighting for the freedoms that protect you with the right to say those things and give the HOA the right to be such pricklers. I will be bringing a petition around that will allow banners, flags and the such to be displayed on special occasions. These people should understand what it means to have pride in the what you do and your military service even if they’ve never served. It is an outrage that they would even make an issue out of it in the first place. I am so proud of the actions of the local VFW and the American Legion getting involved to stand behind Ms. Hill. Maybe the people in the HOA should look at other issues in our neighborhood to attack instead of an innocent mother who is proud of her son and willing to stand behind him. I would more than happily pay the fines for her and will proudly pay any fines imposed on me when I hang my WELCOME HOME DADDY banner at my house in July!

• Faye says:

The people on the Homeowners board must not be Americans.. Hope that she puts her home up for sale and finds a better place to live.. Livingin a gated place is not all that great… Having a home and yard that U can decorate for your pleasure can be a beautiful thing,, Hang the American Flag in your yard is one of the greatest things U can do to show how proud that U R living in the U S A

• D says:

Morons!! My son used to live here and, thankfully, moved to a much better environment. Get a clue Willoughby Park before you lose more tenants.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

….um….nevermind what’s little.

Of course, when you purchased a home covered by an HOA, you invited this kind of tyranny and agreed to accept it.

The simple fact that there are so many subdivisions that have HOAs now (which people willingly buy into) simply stands as tribute to the fact that liberty and freedom are no longer valued in America. You’ll give up the right to hang a flag in return for insuring your neighbor doesn’t work on his classic car restoration in his driveway or let his grass grow too long.

HOAs are for and headed up by busybodies and bureaucrats. Anyone with a love of freedom will walk away from any home covered by an HOA in a heartbeat.

• Beckaleck says:

I find this very troublesome. Were it not for our soldiers and all the soldiers that have fought in every war, we would not be here now to celebrate Memorial Day.

I think the Homeowners Association has gone too far.

This is unacceptable.

• John Difloure says:

Publish the names of the people who denied her the right to fly the flag. I’m 70 and would like to deck the misfits before I croak.

• ChallengetheWorld says:

The HOA is CAMS community Management. They are a money making scam. They prey on people to violate trival rules. They have ties to Century 21 and I think other associations. Write, call and persue them because this is an outrage. I have a friend who moved from this neighborhood because of the torture CAMS put them through.

This is over the line, there is no question that this is completely unacceptable in any enviornment. This is the USA, this is a proud mother and these f*&^% property mongers are doing nothing but hating good old fashioned American patriotism.

Find their claim to be a “professional” organization here: http://www.camsmgtcommunities.com/

Please write to these people; they have really crossed the line here. They are nothing but con-artists. They are promoting a community atmosphere with communistic type ideals.

Be heard!

MS HILL – FLY THAT FLAG HIGH! I’ll pay your damn fine!

• True says:

CAMS is a MANAGEMENT company. Their role is to enforce the rules and regulations that the HOA that hired them set in place. CAMS can do nothing without the approval and say-so of the HOA Board of Directors. Oh, no…I don’t work for CAMS.

I wish people would be more informed.

Ok While HOAs serve some purpose this is just insane. A flag on your door for Memorial Day is wrong?? What the hell is wrong with her HOA?? I hope they do fine her and then she takes them to court to fight it. This is an example of out of line idiotic behavior on the part of HOA’s its one thing to come down on a homeowner for painting their house like a weird purple color or something gawdy this though is just wrong!!!

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

If an HOA can tell you what color you can paint your house, they can tell you that flags aren’t allowed. Look at some of the idiocy that goes on around this county. “You muzd haff you trash bin in by zunzet or you vill be punished zeverely. Unt iff you park zat pickup truck in zee drifeway, you vill be punished zeverely. Unt you muzd get approval to add shutters or you vill be punished zeverely…..unt iff you hang a flag it muzd haff a svatstikka in zee center or you vill be punished zeverely….””

When you buy a home and agree to abide by HOA rules, you just said, “I don’t value liberty. I don’t want the freedom that most Americans enjoy. I want to trade my right to individual choice away in hopes of making a few more bucks when I sell it to the next sucker who values ansolute total uniformity and bureaucratic, structured discipline a la Orwell’s 1984.”

Avoid HOAs at any and all costs. If it’s YOUR house, paint it any color you’d like to.

• gregg says:

These HOA’s are just power hungry losers who have nothing better to do! An American flag in Memorial day…are you serious..are country is GONE..pathetic…they should be ashamed..then sued

• DISLIKES POA NAZI says:

Commonsensenotc…be totally honest now, before you moved into your snoot nosed “community”, did you read every by-law and restriction they had in their 200+ page book? Did I? Heck no! I skimmed over very closely, but word for word….no. Did I miss a little? Sure! Does my POA change the rules anytime they darn well please? OH HECK YES!!! Do they always send out copies of the admenments to all owners? That’s a BIG NO. If they see something that doesn’t sit well with any of them, or suit them, they change the rules in mid-game and keep it their dirty little secret. This happens often, in our community, to the residents who don’t join the “Club”, those of us who get our tans doing physical labor instead of the golf course, or socialize by playing Mahjong at the center. Do you feel the displaying of this banner, which is in support of the military WHO ARE FIGHTING FOR YOUR RIGHT TO BE A SNOOT IF YOU CHOOSE, is trashing your fine community? What are your personal feelings about the banner? Not-with-standing the POA regulations? Does it bother you to see it? Maybe you should move back up north, or better yet, to one of the countries where OUR fine troops are putting their lives on the line?

• SweetGrit says:

I so agree with everything you said! I thought my community was the only one like this, but it must be becoming the norm in the south…didn’t used to be like this. I just can’t imagine what changed all of our southern friendliness and traditions… (I’m being facitious in this last line.)

• Wilhougby Tenant says:

I too am a tenant of the Wilhoughby Park. I cannot understand how ANTI-American CAMS is; they claim they want harmony amongst their communitiy but they send their spies out with camaras to police the area, not against thives and/or troublemakers, but of unsuspecting tenants who they constantly harass. CAMS, from now on will mean the Centralized anti-American Militant Sector as thier Gestapo tectics are meant to make tenants’ lives misarable. To pick on somebody who has a flag out because thier son is deployed is simply UN-American. They are dictators plain and simple and I feel every service-person who is planning on buying from CAMS, find some place else where Americans are appreciated!

To the spies to Wiloughny Park, GET A LIFE and let others live in peace.