Sea turtles rehabbed and returned to the sea

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Thu, 06/02/2011 - 3:50am
Updated: Thu, 06/02/2011 - 5:52pm

TOPSAIL BEACH, NC (WWAY) — It was an exciting morning at Topsail Beach where hundreds of people gathered to say goodbye to some of the area’s most cherished visitors.

Twenty-five healthy sea turtles from The Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Hospital and Rehabilitation Center were returned back to the Atlantic Wednesday. After they were prepped at the center and ready to go, volunteers at the hospital said their last goodbyes to their favorite patients.

“You become attached to them, but during the course of months or years that they are here you know that your purpose is to get these turtles back home,” Karen Sota of the Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Hospital said. “That’s where they belong, that’s where they want to be. And that’s what you are focusing on no matter how attached you may get to a particular turtle.”

11-year-old Hayley Childress says she loves sea turtles and was honored to be apart of the release.

“It just makes me feel good just to know that I’m apart of helping them,” Childress said. “Helping wildlife be better and just go back to what they are good at.”

Dedicated volunteers and interns at the hospital nursed the turtles back to health. They say all the hard work is worth it when they are able to return the turtles to the sea.

“When you’re working in the hospital, and it’s wet, muggy. You’re getting covered in turtle poop all the time,” 2010 sea turtle hospital intern Amanda Andrews said. “It’s just a great experience when you can see these sick turtles get rehabilitated and get released.”

Andrews says she thinks we owe it to the turtles to do what we can to make sure they stay safe and healthy. She says it is as simple as throwing away your trash and making sure it does not make it’s way to the beach.

“They’re apart of the ecosystem,” Andrews said. “They’re here for a reason and they date back to the dinosaur ages. They’re one of the oldest living reptiles we have. I think it’s a shame if they don’t get to stay with us.”

Before, these turtles were a shell of their former selves. Now, they’re one their way to freedom.

The hospital says these turtles face the same dangers they previously overcame now that they have been released back into the wild. They say you can help keep them safe by educating yourself and visiting their facility.

• Guest Dell Casplock says:

They are certainly of higher character and worth than you!

• Guest JFG says:

Why do you have to insert politics in a story about the turtle hospital, you troll?

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

These turtles were down on their luck, needed help, and thanks to the donors and volunteers at the hospital, they were released into their natural environment to fend for themselves.

How strange that people need to collect TANF for year after year, Medicaid indefinately, Section 8 housing forever. Why can’t we rehabilitate people?

Oh yeah…Democrats won’t let us. They want them on the dole forever.

Well, it just renews my belief that turtles are of higher character and worth than people.

What makes you think they wanted to go?

• SurfCityTom says:

was certainly an intelligent well thought out comment. And proves once again some people should remain silent and appear foolish than to speak and remove all doubt.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

The societal leeches and their sob-sister Liberal pals get SOOOO upset when I mention them sucking the checkbook dry.

Since they immediately feel the stinging guilt of being totally worthless slugs that contribute nothing to society, their only recourse is to slam me.

Then again, I’m probably a naive bozo to think that they feel any guilt at all…..

• SurfCityTom says:

it’s evident there is a certain segment of our society which could not feel guilt even if accepting entitlements took food from the mouths of their children. Case in point, watch someone using their EBT, food stamps debit card. They can hit cash back; and then use that cash to buy cigarettes or beer. That literally is taking food from the mouths of their children.

• Guest Dell Capslock says:

I was simply giving you a hard time for trolling and inserting politics into a story about turtles. You were trying to get a reaction,so I gave you one.

I actually quite dislike some of the people I’ve encountered who are on public assistance. A majority of them are hardworking individuals, who are what social workers call the “working poor.” I don’t have a problem with them.

But, there are certainly a LOT of leeches out there, and those are the ones that get me riled up. When I worked as a probation officer, I’d visit some of my “clients” who lived in places like Creekwood. It always amazed me that they were getting subsidized housing, food stamps, etc., but they had huge stereo systems, wide-screen TVs, and sometimes, really expensive car accessories like custom wheels, paint jobs, and sound systems. In other words, stuff I couldn’t have afforded if I wanted it. They couln’t afford to rent their own apartment or feed their kids, but they sure had a lot of disposable income for luxuries…

You’re right about the Bozo part.

Ain’t that a shocker. I have noticed that you and Tom haven’t been getting “slammed” as much lately. I think people are catching on to you guys.At least you still will have your love for the animals to keep you happy.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

….I’m a SELF-SUPPORTING Bozo that pays a ton in taxes.

How about you?

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

The turtle represents creation and God’s wonder, while sitting on your fanny collecting TANF, food vouchers, and Medicaid simply because you’re too friggin’ lazy to support yourself represents Satan destroying the world.

Bless you, child.

…it is the PERFECT analogy! Common siezed the moment in his classic style. Hurts like the dickens when the plain truth b*tch-slaps you like this doesn’t it?

Here I thought your attempts at humor needed work, but your preaching is alot worse. Don’t go getting to much of a thrill, this isn’t really much of a slam.

If you ever get a chance to go tour the turtle hospital ..GO.
    Also the release is truly a fantastic experience to see.I commend all the volunteers for their hard work.