18 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , ,

WINSTON-SALEM, NC (WWAY) — Former North Carolina senator and two-time presidential candidate John Edwards says he has done wrong but did not break the law. He is charged with soliciting and spending more than $925,000 to hide his mistress and their baby from the public at the height of his 2008 White House campaign.

Edwards made a 25-second statement to dozens of reporters outside a North Carolina federal courthouse after pleading not guilty to the charges Friday.

“There’s no question that I’ve done wrong, and I take full responsibility for having done wrong. And I will regret for the rest of my life the pain and the harm that I’ve caused to others. But I did not break the law, and I never, ever thought I was breaking the law,” Edwards said with his eldest daughter Cate standing behind him.

He does not have to post bond, but he had to surrender his passport and is not allowed to leave the continental US.

Edwards Indictment Document 1
Edwards Indictment Document 2

Comment on this Story

18 Comments on "Edwards says he did wrong, did not break law; Actual indictments included"

TaborTim
2015 years 9 months ago

Now Now 461. He could stay in the rePENTHOUSE Suite at TCI, and maybe we could get him out for the Yam Festivial.

Guest7969
2015 years 9 months ago

even calling him a Senator is stretching it!

Guest not surprised
2015 years 9 months ago

Sounds like he was thinking with the wrong part of his anatomy!

Guest33

You’re a riot!

Guesttoday
2015 years 9 months ago

I’m a little slow this morning, but not that I got it…. That’s funny!

Commonsensenotcommontoday
2015 years 9 months ago

…according to the commercials, I should go seek medical assistance.

Guest7969
2015 years 9 months ago

PUBLIC SERVICE…FROM THIS MORON….LOL…GOOD ONE SCT, GOOD ONE!

Guest22212133444
2015 years 9 months ago

wrong.. He will serve time in a Federal prison like Butner if convicted not some Super Max. “Country Club” prison. Look it up sometime! Same place as Madoff.

SurfCityTom
2015 years 9 months ago

serving time. No one suffered financial loss as a result of his actions. Both individuals who supplied the funds did so freely.

Public service and a fine most likely.

Guest757
2015 years 9 months ago

I bet Elizabeth is looking down and having the last laugh…

Guest66666
2015 years 9 months ago

He couldn’t have been any worse than the one we had for President for 8 miserable years. Snakes had nothing to do with the kind of oil he was involved in.

Tom O
2015 years 9 months ago

Although he certainly can plead “not quilty” in a court of law, as a trial lawyer he is counting on a sympathetic jury to cut him loose. Won’t happen this time, his arrogance will be his downfall, he should have cut a deal.
And to think, this “snake oil” salesman might have been the Vice-President or even worse.

guesty
2015 years 9 months ago

I sure hope if he is locked up he will still have access to his hair stylist. Maybe he will, only he won’t be some little fru fru guy, it will be Bubba making him look pretty.

Guest461
2015 years 9 months ago

…but they won’t be parting the hairs on his head! The big GreyRock Inn in Raleigh will welcome Johnny’s smiling face with exuberance!

Sometimes it’s comforting to see, “What goes around, comes around!”.

TaborTim
2015 years 9 months ago

We might have a celebrity at Tabor Correctional in the near future, if he’s guility, he’s innocent until proven otherwise.

Guest461
2015 years 9 months ago

…get sent to a podunk pile like Tabor city with Barney guarding the local, cheesy politicians that are incarcerated. Johnny was Presidential material (so he thought) but, never made it past Senator and therefore deserves nothing other than the best! The Big House in downtown Raleigh!

EVERYONE PLEASE…Give him a hand!!!!

SurfCityTom
2015 years 9 months ago

to a nicer weasel. He made his fortune as a plaintiff attorney, just about the lowest life form there is. He has an affair while his wife is engaged with terminal cancer. He denies the birth of a child which proved to be his. His children, including the one he denied, will face a lifetime of jokes and taunts from childhood friends about the integrity and character of their father. He makes Arnold look like a role model in comparison.

Send him back to his burrow.

2015 years 9 months ago

I remember when he was our famed “DO NOTHING” senator who rarely appeared to vote because he was so busy campaigning and having his hair done. And now we find out, (we’ve always known), that he’s worse. He’s a typical politician. Pathetic. I wish him nothing but the worst.