Big changes coming to gun laws in NC

Tags: , , , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 06/24/2011 - 8:28pm
Updated: Fri, 03/23/2012 - 1:39am By:

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — New gun laws go into effect December 1 in North Carolina. Yesterday Gov. Bev Perdue signed a bill that will give North Carolinians more legal protection when they shoot at an intruder.

The new law also allows for concealed carry licence holders to have their guns at state parks.

Though the regulations are intended to give more rights to law abiding citizens they are getting mixed reactions.

“I was happy that she signed it,” said Kirk Andrews, owner of Backwater Guns in Wilmington.

As a supporter of gun rights he was glad to hear that Gov. Perdue signed into law House Bill 650, which expands the rights of North Carolinians who legally use their weapons.

“The laws are designed for law abiding people; not for felons,” Andrews said. “Felons don’t follow the law. The only thing the new law does is affect law abiding people.”

The new law gives people more legal protection when they fire a weapon at an intruder whether they are at home, in their car or at the work place. North Carolinians will no longer fear prosecution in a situation where they feared for their safety and defended themselves.

“It makes it very clear that somebody that is lawfully acting and lawfully in their home and someone is unlawfully gaining access to that home is not going to be responsible on a criminal or civil basis,” New Hanover Co. Assistant District Attorney Charity Wilson said.

Besides legally protecting citizens, the new law also lets concealed carry license holders have their gun in state parks. This worries citizens like Michael Fulp, who often walks in Carolina Beach State Park.

“We have a lot of wildlife and deer in here, and I’m afraid that people will take the opportunity to start shooting at deer and that type of stuff,” Fulp said. “There’s a lot of people that walk and bike in here along with tourist and we have trail campgrounds and kids around.”

Gun advocates say incidents like this are highly unlikely.

The law also makes it a state felony to falsely give information to a licensed firearms dealer. Until now, that was just a federal felony. Now an offender will face charges on both levels.

• 910beaches says:

Now that’s what I’m talking about!! I am a married female who minds her own business. I don’t go around starting trouble, but I won’t hesitate to protect and defend myself either!! I took a concealed weapons class in Brunswick County and I’m glad I did.

• Debbie says:

What about changing the law that states you can’t have your weapon in your car on workplace property if there is a posted sign prohibiting it? What about single women who have to go home alone? What if a burglar or rapist is waiting on her when she gets home? If she can’t have the gun in her car on company property, she won’t have it to defend herself when entering her home. This bites.

• woody says:

I am very appreciative to the Governor for signing this legislation.
    I have a conceal carry permit and don’t leave home without it. The one time I did leave home without almost got me killed and if I didn’t know what to look for it would have. I was an intentional attempt at a set up accidental run down in a grocery store parking lot. The incident was by a man whose father was involved in an arson and the death of my son. I had found out the mans father was a fugitive since 1967 and the son tried to take me out. He missed me by about 10 inches and would have killed me if he had hit me. The bad thing is I reported the incident to the cheif of police in the little town where it happened and he just looked at me and walked off. I even told him the mans name and tag number that tried to run me down. I even tried the county Sheriff’s Dept and they just sat and looked at me. Who knows what he will try the next time.

• GetReal says:

People like Fulp are dim wits. Law abiding citizens don’t go on shooting sprees just because a deer is around. If it’s illegal to shoot at a deer, then law abiding citizens won’t shoot at it. People that would shoot at it, don’t care about the law anyway.

• Guest 1973 says:

I agree with the Bill, but it wouldn’t matter to me whether it was passed or not. I’d rather be judged by twelve than carried by six. If someone breaks in my house and if I am able they will be shot regardless whether I pull time or not.

Let’s make it a law that everyone above the age of 10 has to carry a gun in NC. Then no one will feel uncomfortable walking around in public knowing they can defend themselves against any perceived threats. Quick-draw instruction courses will be filled to capacity creating additional jobs as well.

• Charles Harrison says:

House bill 650 constitutes a good start toward allowing law abiding citizens the right to protect there themselves and their families from an ever growing criminal element. With the growth of gangs like ms13, the bloods and others violent crimes are on to rise. The economic woes the country is currently going through only serves to exacerbate the situation. Protection from prosecution, when one is forced to defend one’s life, family and property against a determined a intruder is extremely important.

• NCcountryboi says:

To the guy “Michael Fulp” I dont think people will be shooting at deer in the park but, If you try to rob them they will shoot you. I think this bill is a great idea because I want to feel like im safe from ignorant low life people who dont want to get a job and just steal and be givin everything. This is the way I look at it in my gene pool is a law abiding citizen so if I live on there will be more people like me in the world because of my kids. If these outlaws and scum bags break into my house and kill me in the future there will be more of them.

• Martin F says:

I’m only 19, but I’ve been an advocate of things such as this to protect my family.

Now that I live on my own and my fiance is living with me, I want to know that I have the ability to protect myself and my family. If someone were to break into our home, my fiance’s life and my life are both in danger. Damn right I wouldn’t hesitate with or without this law.

I agree with your statement about protecting yourself even without this law. Once a criminal breaks a law such as breaking into my home, I no longer consider them a citizen; nor does the constitution. I have my right to carry a gun, but I will take the responsibility that comes along with owning one.

• LoveMyRights says:

Thank you Governor Perdue for having sense! I am proud of my right to carry my concealed weapon and will do what I need to in order to protect myself and my family. I don’t walk around flashing my weapon and unless someone knows me personally, I would be the last person that someone would expect to be carrying a weapon. Just a mom and wife running back and fourth to work, school and shopping minding my own business. However, if someone is going to approach me and try to hurt me or my children, I WILL drop them where they stand! I have 7 chances to get away safe and you can bet your sweet tail that I will do everything in my power to see to it that me and my children remain unharmed and are able to enjoy another day as a family. I pray that I am never put in that situation every day that I leave the house. I am not a police officer and would much rather leave policing to the trained professionals, but as the wife of an officer, I am also realisitc and know that bad things happen to good people and I am certainly grateful that I have to right to protect myself and my family when placed in imminent danger!

• BH says:

I just don’t get it. Some people just don’t get why we carry. Or why we even own guns. Personally I think we need more RESPONSIBLE LAW ABIDING citizens who ccw. On vacation a couple years ago my wife and I were involved in a situation in which two law abiding ccw samaritans saved our bacon. Since then we have both gotten our ccw licenses. Maybe some of these anti gun morons need a close encounter to change their minds.

• brandon martin says:

The day you take everyones guns will be the day when only criminals will have them. Im a strong supporter of the 2nd amendment and i serve my country to protect that right. I you have a problem with guns i promise i wont use mine to protect you.

• born2shoot says:

THANK YOU!!!! and the same goes for other crimes as well. The person with the CCW isn’t going to go rob a back or go shoot a place up because he is now allowed to carry there. The people that are going to break the laws and rob and harm others are hoping that people aren’t carrying and are going to do it whether it is legal or illegal to carry there. So why not let the people who respect and follow the law (CCW holders) carry in more places. And if you think its too easy to get a CCW, why not offer an extended program, that only trained deticated law abiding citizens would take the time and money to take it and let them carry in more places. It only would protect more people and discourage crime.
    Thomas Jefferson once said, “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence then a armed man.”
    THINK ABOUT IT

• randy norris says:

this subject is near and dear to my heart, I have had a permit to carry for about 6 years now, I carry my weapon 24/7. I dont worry about people who dont want to carry, that is their problem, If they can live in the victem mentality then so be it, I think of life in this place as sheep and wolves, there are good wolves and bad wolves, bad wolves prey on the sheep, good wolves do not, if you want to be a sheep and hope that there are enough sheppards (Police) to protect you and your family then that is up to you to live with. but dont complain when i exercise my right to do otherwise. for 22 years I caried a weapon for the US Army on five of the seven contenants, and will continue to do so until the day the lord comes for me. if you think im wrong, call the police and report an intruder and then order a pizza, 99% of the time the Pizza will be there first.

• anne says:

If you come into my house in the middle of the night, and you weren’t invited, I am going think that you are here for something else. When you decide to enter an occupied dwelling without being invited, you gave up your right to expect to be welcomed and sent on your way without injury. Would I like to shoot someone? No that would be the last thing that I would like to do, but my family’s protection comes first and if it means beating you with a baseball bat, siccing the 130 pound Rottwieler on you, or shooting you if it comes down to it, that would be a decision I would have to make.

So to protect yourself, stay out of my house, my business and anyone else’s. You might live another day!

• Victor Ansel says:

Well, one thing’s for sure….deer and wildlife aren’t going to break into your home with the intent to rob or harm you! Dunce!

• Guestjohn says:

When the bad people come in and the alarm has gone off and the police r still not there what r you going to do pont your finger at them and yell boo you libs r so stuped you pople think that just because some official says it is unlawful to kill stell rape brake enter every body will do as they r told well you r ded wrong so if you see me in the park or at the 7-11 or wall mart or come to my house i will my 357 and if some try to harm my wife my familey the if you mess with the bull the will get the horn’s i thak the new law is grate i thank that it should be open carry that every body can see that we r carry our guns and that if you mess with us then you no what you will get.

• Mikey says:

If people would take gun classes (my wife,CCH permit holder, took Women On Target) they would realize in a hurry about awareness, safety and be alert obout your surroundings. I am sick to death of hearing and reading that ” she/he put up a good fight “, while being raped, slashed, shot. They put up the best fight yhey could under the circumstances. My wife, who just purchased a new Ruger LCR 357, will alter your appearance by giving you a 2nd and 3rd bellybutton.

• David says:

Unfortunately, anyone whom is a convicted felon cannot possess at anytime whether at home or in public any firearm of any kind, for life.
    It is unfortunate that this person is serving 7 years for protecting his family from a intruder, but that is the way the law is written

• Hmmm not so innocent? says:

Maybe since he is now a nice married person with 3 kids, he shoulda handed the LEGAL GUN to HIS WIFE and let her say SHE shot him, somehow some of the story is missing if he is doing SEVEN yrs for “defending ” himself and his family. Maybe he wasnt as innocent as you think.

• Bonita says:

Iknow the laws are for law abidding citizens but once a felon always a felon. I know it’s hard to trust felons but everything is not black and white. I believe felons shouldn’t carry guns, but when ever a man is in his own home whether he is a felon or not he should have the right to protect his family. Martha Steward is a felon, don’t tell me that she can’t have a gun in her home.
    If you are a felon and someone breaks in your home and beat you for no reason and your kids are in the house that’s ok because you are a felon?? Maybe felons can’t have guns in public. But they should be allowed to protect their home. I know a guy that had a felon about 6 years ago but during good now, married with 3 kids. A guy broke in this guy’s house and beat him because he didn’t like him, he had been drinking and doing drugs. The guy shot him and the guy died. The man is during 7 years now. The man was a felon and he was not suppose to have a gun in the house. So I guess if you are a felon and someone break in you better have a baseball bat or something but you better not have a gun and shoot them, hopefully your family won’t be at home.

• Debbie says:

AMEN, Robert!

• keith says:

I suppose all of the criminal element will just up and surrender their weapons, you must be a liberal sheep with absolutely no common sense!

• m. hall says:

Take a look at what happens when you take away weapons from law abiding citizens such as Austrailia and other countries who have done
    just that!!!!!
    Home breakins and murders have skyrocketed. When criminials know you can’t protect youself they have no fear of doing whatever they want.

Just think about this logically.

• ray says:

wow “disarm everybody” huh…its totally impossible but lets say you did get every gun out of every american’s reach. you still have blades and all other sorts of weapons available. it doesnt take a gun to physically threaten someones life…and im not taking my chances if someone was to put my life in danger…guns are like fire extinguishers; you hope you never have to use it but you keep one around anyways bc they sure are usefull when the right situation presents itself!

dont be an idiot…this world will never be a completely safe place…i dont know why people like you feel the need to speak out this nonsense. its talk like this that lets me know you liberals are brainless and spreading like a communicable disease.

• J says:

Washington DC tried that in the mid 70s, it would only disarm law abiding citizens. Look at the problems in Mexico, the only people who have guns are the cartels. You try to disarm everyone and the only people who will have guns are the criminals.

• JW says:

Yeah and the government should pay every citizen $250,000.00 a year too!!! Must be nice to live in a fantasy world!!

• SpringfieldXD says:

Really disarm everyone???? You are for sure a tree hugger. If you do that 1) the thugs would take over and how would u like a thug coming in your house and rapping your wife and kids and you had no way to protect yourself???? 2) Big brother is in our lives way to far and taking guns away would be a win for them. So why dont you go back and hug your trees or get out of the USA where out Four Fathers fought for our amendments. So if u are not a tru American get the hell out of here!!!

• Guest CommonTater says:

I’ll bet you believe there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow too! Why can’t people like you reason? Carry on…

• Steve says:

Does this also mean that when drugs are illegal that there are no more drugs? NO Get it in your head, take away all guns, and only the bad guys perhaps like you have guns! It’s the 2nd amn. Just like the Constitution gives you the right to blah blah blah. Free speech. Arm yourself my friend. What’s gonna stop a 6’5″ 275lb man to come in and rape your kids, and wife, and rob you? Yep that Smith and Wesson at the gun store you didn’t buy. Only way for peace, is to prepare for WAR. Guns have given you freedom.

• Guest says:

How about you go out and disarm ALL the bad guys and then I will have no reason to carry. You are so stupid you don’t even know that you are stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Steven D. Hill says:

I don’t know if you are being sarcastic with your statement. because some people do post useless replys. Sir I was stationed in Korea in a country where guns are not allowed. Murder still happens and people still gain guns illegally. Your concept of no guns equal zeros death is nice assumption but its very far reality

• PeaceNow says:

The only way to be safe is to DISARM EVERYBODY!!!

Pretty much a NO BRAINER… NO GUNS = NO GUN DEATHS!!!

Got it? Good!

Peace out…

• Wegs says:

PeaceNow… Do you really believe it possible to collect up every gun in the world and melt then down for flower pots? The only guns that are available for collection are those legally owned by honest citizens. No military or militia or criminal will ever give up their guns. It is so fascinating that people with your ideals exist in an educated society.

Watch out, that guy has a knife. Look he has a bat. Oh no He has apiece of pipe. he has a pencil. All can be used to kill. Disarm everyone. Yep, next thing you know you’ll be in jail for having a knife in your kitchen. Guns? Has anyone ever been killed with a car? Take all of the cars away.

• Guest potshot says:

Do your homework knucklehead. You should see how well confiscating everyones guns worked for the European jews in prewar Germany when Hitler’s henchmen did exactly that just before they started rounding them up for the camps. An armed society is a free society. The only thing I would hate worse than having to take someone’s life is to have some innocent hurt or killed and not have the means to defend them. If you take all the guns from law abiding citizens, are you really ignorant enough to believe that the criminals are going to turn theirs in too? All you are accomplishing is making law abiding citizens “easy meat” for the lawless.

• Guest says:

HOW ABOUT STABBING’S ? SHOULD WE BAN KNIVES, SCREWDRIVERS, SWORDS ??
    HOW ABOUT BEATING SOMEONE TO DEATH? SHOULS WE BAN BASE BALL BATS??
    THIERS MORE THAN ONE WAY TO SKIN A CAT, OR KILL A MAN !!

• John says:

That’s the first step that was taken by Adolf Hitler, Mao Tse-Tung, Joseph Stalin. Good company you’re keeping there, ace.

• glocknutt says:

to disarm everyone would mean give up your guns willingly,but do you honestly think that the felons and crooks will willingly give up their guns? GUESS AGAIN SIR! as MR. James Earl Jones stated “outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns”.

• wake up people says:

there are crazy people out there if you take the guns away they will kill with some other kind of weapon. It would be way worse then a gun. That way everbody says GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE.

• da man says:

and in Great Britain with few guns, most are strangulated. So take the guns and the hands? I don’t think so.

• Victor Ansel says:

That leaves knives, tire irons, golf clubs, baseball bats, lead pipes, 2×4’s, etc……all quite capable of doing someone in. Talk about having no brain…….

• Chad says:

And you plan to do that how?

…good luck taking my firearm from me!

• dabbob says:

This qualifies as stupid comment of the week….

• LoveMyRights says:

Last I checked, I carry to protect myself and my children NOT to go hunting! Obviously Michael Fulp doesn’t have a clue what he is talking about. I would be more worried about the criminal who totes thier guns around illegally in State parks looking to commit a crime then a law biding citizen who is carrying to protect themselves and thier families.

• Steve says:

Hopefuly this guy will nevercarry a gun. He just showed that he is not too bright. People that get a permit aren’t going to shoot at deer with a hand gun in a park.

• cyn says:

Dabbob Fulp has a point but send your child to the park & see if he/she could be the 1st victim of getting shot by the gun carrier that might be shooting at a deer and than let us know how you feel than & its a possibility someone gets trigger happy and flip out and shoots all over the place even at innocent ppl guns should be in the home & home only for self/family defense. Instead of being objective to what Fulp is saying put yourself in his shoes go walk the Beach see if you can be the victim walking ….

• Jimmy says:

If you teach self defense you should know that the .380 is too light!
    To stop a criminal you start with 9mm and work your way up. The new .327 magnum in a revolver is best, regular 38 caliber is not sufficient. Plus P is OK but .327 is better.

LOL ,I meant it’s for protection and not for shooting deer in the parks,Law abiding citizens never shot deer in the Carolina beach state park before ,why are they going to start now .That man that said that is trying to make us (CCW)permit holders sound bad .And we should be able to carry concealed in any place of business ,what do they think ,if you are carrying concealed in a bank, what do they think a law abiding citizen is going to do ,start shooting up the place.CCW does deter crime.And in the bill it says state parks not a city park.Without CCW lives are at risk.I can’t really understand how a person would want to travel on the highways without a concealed carry weapon for protection.you are never really safe anywhere in this world,never leave home without it (ccw).your weapon is your life saving tool. /(CCW) means concealed carry weapon .Every State should have gun laws like Alaska.Lives are at risk in a business that prohibits CCW.If we are allowed to carry anywhere it could save lives even the people that are against CCW in a place of business.you are left unprotected in a restaurant that severs alcohol ,but i have read somewhere that you can carry concealed in a restaurant that severs alcohol if you don’t drink and if you don’t sit at the bar.

i agree on your post but not the choice of firearm. Im a professional trainer on home defense ever seen the penetration of a shotgun slug? itll go through sheetrock like it was paper as well as buckshot. I say use a medium caliber pistol .380-.40 that has manageable recoil for your personal skill level and make well placed shots. its hard to make every pellet stay in a 8.5×11 sheet of paper with a shotgun without a very keen choke in it but not common on a home defense shotgun thats usually 18 inches in length

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

While we have to recognize any establishment’s RIGHT to ban those prospective customers carrying concealed weapons, the easiest way to make them reconsider is to simply boycott the business while letting the owner know exactly WHY you are refusing to patronize his or her business.

Independence Mall, for example, bans those carrying concealed weapons. Guess where I refuse to shop? My cellular carrier lost a large-ticket customer when they prominently banned concealed weapons in their new store.

The problem is self-discipline. Many people start to boycott these establishments, then fall back to using them out of convenience. That insures that the CCW ban will remain. I haven’t eaten a Dannon product since Dannon sponsored the Million Mom March, and I haven’t eaten in a Burger King since they contributed to an anti-gun program in Chicago back in the Seventies.

Grass Roots North Carolina used to maintain a list of establishments to boycott, but it seems to have vanished from their website.

That’s the truth. I certainly wouldn’t jeopardize my right to carry by being stupid. I’m sure every other person who has the CCW wouldn’t either.

• CCW carrier says:

There should be a law requiring everyone to take a ccw course. That way there would be no ridiculous comments about law abiding citizens being able to carry a weapon for defense. The only time a ccw person can draw their weapon is when someone else (criminal) has a deadly weapon, and is getting ready to use it on them, or their family, or during a break-in. A ccw person is also trained to be very aware of what is on the other side of the criminal if they actually did have to fire their weapon.
    If you were a criminal, which home would you break into? The homeowner with a high tech security system, or the homeowner with the .357? I think we all know the answer.
    As for the accidental shooting death, a ccw holder is also trained on this subject. When I was a child, my dad taught me the importance of respecting a firearm and it’s uses. If I disobeyed his orders to not touch the guns unless he was present, I knew what would happen, and it wouldn’t be pretty! But that is another subject.
    When a criminal puts a knife to your throat, or a gun to your head, see how much that security system helps. If it should ever happen to me, I hope and pray I have my gun on me!

…people who are trained on weapon use and care, use their weapons to protect their families, not harm them. It’s the idiots that “think” they understand firearms that one needs to worry about. This could easily include those that believe only ranches are the places where self-protection is “highly valued”.
    Those of us that do decide to carry our weapons “strapped up” (as you so eloquently remark) in parks are not there to make “you” or “your family” feel safe at all, that is YOUR responsibility! So make sure that all of your family members have little miniature “well marked personal security systems that call police from a dedicated mobile link…” when the proverbial crap hits the fan for them.

Just remember one simple thing, “When you or your families life depends on the next few seconds, the police are only minutes away!”

You can go back to your fantasy safari now, big guy. I’d be willing to bet your wife won’t let you have a gun because she KNOWS what category you fit in. I would worry too.

• GuestComment123 says:

all a “homeowner with a .357″ does is put their children and family at risk for an accidental shooting death. To each their own. For my family and my money, a well-marked home security system that calls the police from a dedicated mobile link gives me more peace of mind (especially when I am away) than a .357 in a lockbox inside my dresser ever would. And no, you NRA gun-lovers, i am not a wimpy tree-hugging liberal, I grew up on a ranch hunting elk and highly value citizen rights to have firearms on a farm/ranch… but this new law is plain stupid and the thought of some wannabe hero strapped up at the park my children are playing at doesn’t make me feel “safe.” Way to go NRA gun-lovers, score one for the citizen army!

• When will people understand that we have strict laws against murder, robbery, poaching but these laws do not deter people from commiting crimes against society? Where people have the means to defend themselves, violent crime decreases; where they don’t, it increases. Look at the crime statistics for N.Y., Washington D.C., Chicago or any area which restricts the law-abiding citizen ability to defend against the criminals and you will find high rates of violent crime.
    The states with the least restriction on guns for the lawabiding citizen have lower crime rates!!!!!

• RJC says:

AMEN!!! The person she is talking about needs to mive back to where he came from. The police can not get to you and your famley to help you all the time. At some point you have to take a stand. As far as the NRA they are doing a GREAT job keepinf our rights. A life member of NRA and a retired police officer.

• Billy says:

Some Republicans in the legislature do not understand the rights of law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms….the watering down of this bill by democrats was expected….but not by repubs….see how you local reps voted and if you think they sold out….vote them out

• Jed99 says:

Yeah let that alarm stop some fool breaking in and raping you at 3 am. Alarms are goods but so is someone who has a gun to protect you as the US Constitution allows. If you had a conceal carry permit your gun wouldn’t be in your dresser drawer where it would get stolen, it would be on your hip. How long is the response time for the Police? Yeah, that’s what I say…

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Can you please explain how a sidearm in a holster on my hip, hidden from view so that no one even knows that I am armed, poses any threat whatsoever to the children in that park?

If I have to use it to defend my (or your) life, at what range do you think I’m engaging a threat? Such encounters usually take place at twelve feet or less.

Now, do you think there might be a chance that you and your children might be just a bit safer because the people who DO WANT TO HARM YOU might not frequent a park where they know there might very well be an armed citizen with a firearm?

I’d suggest that you see how long it takes the police to get to your house when your alarm is triggered. The national average is above ten minutes, which is plenty of time for a burglar or two to kill you and your entire family. You have a very naive view on the response times of law enforcement. They simply can’t guarantee a thirty-second response time, and in rural areas the average exceeds twenty minutes. Ever been pistol whipped for twenty minutes….while watching your wife get raped? (They don’t always show up alone…)

Another consideration is that people often don’t have time to dial 911, especially if it’s a home invasion. The threat is already in the house, advancing on you. BAM! The door gets kicked in and you had better be ready to respond immediately. If you’re relying upon an alram system, that will ALWAYS be your situation. The alarm going off means that they’ve already breeched your security.

So while I don’t recommend a .357 Magnum for home defense unless you are highly trained (and already deaf) I think every home should be equipped with a short barreled pump shotgun stagger loaded with slugs and #4 buckshot, and a good gun safe to store it in when you’re not home.

BTW, my children grew up in a home where they knew that there was a firearm available in the master bedroom at all times. At an early age they were exposed to hunting, shooting, and knew what a firearm could do.

They never touched it. It’s all about eliminating the fascination, exercising proper discipline and most importantly, instilling self-discipline in them.

• TaborTim says:

That’s easy for you to say. Apparently you don’t live in Tabor City!”Thou shalt not interfere with the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens who want AK-47’s to protect hearth and home”.

• GuestUSMC says:

Hopefully it won’t happen, but someday when a bad guy is coming through your front door at 3 am and your dedicated link goes on the fritz, or works but the cops are miles away, you might reconsider your thoughts about that .357 in the night stand.

• alarm guy says:

I install alarms for a living and let me tell you mistakes happen. Your alarm doesn’t go directly to the police, it goes to monitoring station first. Now as reliable as monitoring stations are they have their issues. Such as a back log of other calls with could delay yours and not to mention the fact of the police having a back log at their 911 center. Another thing, police don’t go racing with sirens blaring to get to your house, they do the speed limit. It’s not a confirmed emergency and they aren’t going to risk the lives of people on the road to speed to your house. Once more 90% of alarms are false and police know this because it waste alot of their time.
    Let us not forget the worst case scenario, a hurricane or some other natural disaster. This is when nobody is coming and criminals start looting and trying to survive themselves. Your alarm is reporting to no one, it probably won’t even work because there is no power and your battery back up is dead.
    It’s the fear of guns that is most dangerous to poeple, not the law abiding people that carry them, but this is elementary so why can’t smart citizens understand this. It’s probably better they don’t own a gun anyway.
    I’m not even going to touch the shooting wild animals rant.

• JMyers says:

First off, both myself and my husband are ccw holders and have 2 children. When we took the required safety class, my first question was what was the best was way to handle an intruder given the lay out of our house. (Our children know a gun drill as well as they do a fire drill in our home.) We too have a well announced security system, but if you got the nerve to keep coming into my home after an alarm has gone off than I am WELL within my right to protect my family! People who have CCW’s aren’t “wannabe heros” they are about protecting themselves and their families. No one with a CCW WANTS to shoot to kill, but if it were your life or the lives of your wife and child(ren) do you really want to stand around and wait for the cops to show up and see what happens between now and the time they show up? You said you were a “country boy”, how long would it have taken cops to get out to your ranch? CCW holders aren”t fanatics who brag about their guns and wave them around and shoot at anything that moves, they are responsible, reasonable, saftey minded individuals, who are around you all the time. I just hope one of these “wannabe heros” never has to save your butt.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

I have the training, profficiency, and experience to rely upon a .45 automatic as my primary defensive weapon. I use 230gr +P JHP and don’t worry about over-penetration because it loses a lot of ooomph passing through a body.

The majority of people who own firearms for home defense do not have the training and experience that you or I have. Many people who do have the training and experience have a boat anch…um….wife or girlfriend who is not trained or who doesn’t like a handgun because of the weight being held at arm’s length. Accordingly, a 20 gauge shotgun is the best weapon for them to use because that offers the best probability of “hitting the bad guy.”

That must **always** remain your prime concern – eliminating the immediate threat. Over-penetration and shoot-throughs have to reamin a secondary concern.

Obviously, the nature of your home environment dictates your choice of weapon and lanes of fire. In that light, sheetrock offers no protection to many rounds included in your preferred category. A 158gr .38 special round can penetrate two layers of sheetrock and kill a neighbor in an ajoining apartment as easily as a shotgun slug can…..if you miss the target.

The key is to choose a REASONABLE weapon you know, you feel comfortable with, and you are proficient with. Then, eliminate the threat on the first shot.

• Guest Wayne Voss says:

Please get yourself a tee shirt or a sign to wear around your neck to let us know how you feel so Us law abidding citizens won’t bother to help you and your family when you’re getting your ass kicked. We sure don’t want to intrude on your Obama voting rights.

• mythoughts says:

Those that are willing to give up their rights for the “sake” of freedom, deserve neither! My 2 cents worth!

• timmyflew says:

Like someone else said, response a residential alarm is the speed limit. After the alarm company calls the dispatch/communications center where you live. Then if there is a high call volume at the time the police might get the call ten minutes later. Go ahead and bet your family’s life on that you moron.

• Guest2012 says:

Took the Words right out of my mouth, as I could not agree with you more! Especially, the part about teaching kids about firearms. They will learn, as we did, a healthy respect for firearms.

I also cannot agree with you more on your advise:

“I think every home should be equipped with a short barreled pump shotgun stagger loaded with slugs and #4 buckshot, and a good gun safe to store it in when you’re not home.”

…sometimes you just have too darn much sense, Common!

• Prevention is the Cure says:

If you’re in your house and someone kicks in the door, or at the park and someone grabs your child and drags them into a vehicle, which is most likely to stop the crime – reaching for your weapon or reaching for your cell phone. Chances are the gun will stop the crime while the cell phone will (might) allow the prosecutor to charge someone if the police are able to catch them in the first place. Either way, if you reach for the cell phone, the crime will most likely have already been committed, rather than just attempted.

Yeah right ,a security system is good when you are not home.And I don’t think they are talking about a city park like you are talking about(with playground equipment and a bunch of kids playing on the swings).They are talking about State parks with hiking trails and camp sites.And a state rest area(do you know that people are attacked by bad guys in state rest areas a lot)Bad guys ,murders a other violent people are traveling on the interstate highways right along with everybody else but people are more afraid of the law abiding citizen carrying CCW than the bad guys.Bad guys target people in the state parks and in those wooded areas,people are attacked in those places more than you know .You are in a camp site and some bad guys come up to your site to cause you great bodily harm .Are you going to hit the panic button on the home security system? or are you going to draw your weapon and hopefully deter the bad guys (hopefully without firing a shot).If you didn’t have a weapon it could’ve turned out differently.So because you don’t want law abiding citizens to carry in the state park a family could be in harm with no way to protect them selfs. Or you are in the state park in the mountains and you and your family are attacked by a wild animal.And yes you have to keep it out of kids hands.And if you hit the alarm to call the police in an home invasion by the time they get there it could be to late.what if a smart criminal disabled the alarm .There are a lot of home invasions in my county,when you carry concealed, you need to carry all the time, that you can ,cause you could be watching TV when the front door is kicked in,you don’t have time to do anything but to draw.There was a home invasion where the guy was watching TV and two guys kicked in the door,and the home owner fired (because they did had weapons),yes he had it on him while sitting in the house.You can not run to the night stand all of the time.You must not care about your family or your life.with bad guys out there ,we need to protect our selfs and our family .There are a lot of people that go missing or murdered every year . It’s for self protection and to shoot deer in the parks.

• Keith W. Bowles says:

Sir, I have no argument with what you say. Forgive me, but perhaps you already know and it is your intention to do so–if that is the case–I beg your pardon. Your presentation in all upper case letters implies that you are yelling (loudly and rudely) at your audience. That may be acceptable in a limited case (a word or word phrase). However the capitalize the entire entry is to yell at or demean your audience. Because I did read your response here tells me that you are a thoughtful person and you meant no harm (and certainly none taken). If I’m out of place: mea cu-pea (my infinite apologies). Good day, Sir.

• LEEBO says:

I BELIEVE IF YOU ARE A LAW ABIDING CITIZENS WITH A CCW LICENSE YOU SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO CARRY ANYWHERE EXCEPT THE COURTHOUSE.I DO BELIEVE THAT ONE SHOULD HAVE TO PROVE THEY CAN HANDLE THEIR FIREARMS CORRECTLY.A CRIMINAL WITH BAD INTENTION,WILL NOT CARE ABOUT THE LAWS ANYWAY.WE SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO PROTECT OURSELVES. REMEMBER OUR LAW ENFORCEMENT IS THERE TO PROTECT AND SERVE AND I THANK THEM FOR WHAT THEY DO, BUT THEY CAN NOT BE SIDE EACH OF US 24/7. CALLING 911 WILL NOT STOP SOMEONE FROM HURTING YOU AT THAT MOMENT. IT CAN HAPPEN ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, ANY PLACE. OUR GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE SUPPORTING THE LAW ABIDING CITIZEN, NOT TAKING AWAY OUR RIGHTS; NOT GIVING THE CRIMINALS THE UPPER HAND. GOOD DAY.R

• Wannabsafe says:

Thanks for the reply. I as well as my co-workers are very disapointed with this. Just sucks that “Companys” think more of there possible legal deals allowing permit carrying gun owners to have a firearm in there vehicle than the safety of them traveling to and from work.

• GuestUser7946 says:

From what I understand, and correct me if I’m wrong, but it says nothing about being unable to carry in restaurants unless a “no weapons” sticker is placed conspicuously on the premises.

The issue is only law abiding gun owners would comply… criminals don’t care about the law and would not stop robbing and killing people. In the U.S. we have the right to defend ourselves; I believe Robert A. Heinlein said it best, “An armed society is a polite society and Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life”. In other words, if everyone was armed people would be a lot nicer to their fellow man and criminals would be very careful when committing crimes else they be shot.

Don’t try to confuse liberals with logic. You should melt your guns down and give the metal to the homeless.

I almost kept a straight face typing that out.

Perhaps you skipped this paragraph or didn’t comprehend it thoroughly. This law isn’t aimed at criminals. This law will support a law abiding citizen’s right to defend themselves and their property.

• Ricky says:

No one who has the credibility to obtain a conceal carry permit would be shooting at wildlife with ther hand gun…that is the most ignorant statement I have heard in a long time. He should be glad to know that honest trained folks are armed and trained to protect themselves and those around them if a threatening situation arises. Idiots who will do those kind of things will do them whatever the laws are, duh.

• james says:

by law.companays can do this.try to get company to let u carry on site only if locked in a safe or lock box

• Wannabsafe says:

Does anyone know how this new law affects us factory workers that are banned from having a firearm on company property.

Shift workers such as I have to travel the roads at all times of the day and night and feel having a firearm would provide us a since of protection againest the “Bad Guy” out there.

My “Company” feels if they ban firearms they will prevent “Postal” events but they do not take into consideration the off hours we are traveling on the roads…any help??

• Chester says:

It does not change employer imposed restrictions on ccw at work. If you go to the nc general assembly page and look up
    HB 650, you will see how watered down this bill became through the process. It started out allowing ccw in restaurants, locked in car @ work, and locked in car on educational property. All 3 were taken out. I don’t know about you, but I rarely go to state parks, but I often frequent restaurants, work, and schools. This bill does little for 95% of ccw holders, unless you actually have to fire your weapon – which I hope never happens.

WHAT?! “We have a lot of wildlife and deer in here, and I’m afraid that people will take the opportunity to start shooting at deer and that type of stuff…”

THAT is called POACHING and is a TOTALLY different issue….just because a LAW ABIDING citizen straps on a gun, doesn’t mean they are going to go out and start shooting bambi…SHEEshh…can this person vote!?

• timmyflew says:

Someone who has payed the money and taken the steps to obtain a Concealed Weapon Permit is not goung to lose it by shooting at wildlife at a State Park. Law abiding citizens get CCW’s. People who shoot at wildlife at parks dont. It is a fact that strict gun laws do not reduced violent crimes. But a homeowner with a .357 will!!!!!!

Somebody actually believes somebody will go into a state park and shoot at deer simply because they can legally carry a concealed weapon in the park. Holy crap..they walk among us, and even more scary, they can vote!

• kellog says:

Do you think you can convince the criminals that have weapons just to rob and kill people to melt down their guns? If the law abiding citizens turned in thier firearms who would protect your butt in the time of need? I am sure you are going to say the police will protect you, but they are only so many cops. They can’t be everywhere at once. Maybe if your law abiding neighbor had kept his firearm and not had it melted down he could have saved your butt.

Who is Silly?
    Give the metal to the homeless!!!
    What are the homeless to do with the metal?
    You seem to be socialist like most libs. Move to one of those Euro bankrupt countries. This is why our ancestors left those countries!

• Wegs says:

It is truely fascinating how obvious sarcasm flies high over the heads of so many. This inability to catch a joke tossed gently by a person of obvious wit straight into their numbers is only surpassed by the same people’s ability to be fed a 50 pound crock of bull by politicians and yet they somehow manage to catch and swallow the whole thing in a matter of seconds.

Some people can’t comprehend what they read.

Sorry if my attempt at humor went over your head. Did you notice my last sentence? In case you missed that as well, here it is: “I almost kept a straight face typing that out.” Which means I don’t believe one bit of what I posted. Maybe since you can’t buy a clue you could buy a dictionary and look up the word sarcasm.

Oh, to answer your question of what would the homeless do with the metal, there is a small business that obviously you have not heard of called metal recycling. But I would never melt down one of my weapons.

Wow kellog, you are just as clueless as Guest1700 is. I would have thought it was well apparent I was being sarcastic especially with my last sentence of that post. Guess it flew over your head as well. Here it is once again, just slow down and read all of it: “I almost kept a straight face typing that out.”
    You must be new here otherwise you would know there are a few of us that regularly post on here about the benefits of a weapon and being proficient at its use.
    Just remember, when seconds count the police are only minutes away.

• glocknutt says:

i feel ya, iredell here but i got an ace on ya, wife works for the sheriff.

• giddy says:

When my home alarm system goes off it takes the police 30 minutes to get to my house. By that time I can shoot the perp, dig a hole and bury his butt in it and then the police will be there, I live in Rowan go figure.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Mister Fulp sincerely believes that a law-abiding citizen, who has undergone a full background check, been trained on the law, and paid a substantial amount of money for his or her CCW permit will suddenly be overcome with the irresistable urge to shoot a deer, now that concealed carry is allowed in state parks? People who have never committed a crime in their life will suddenly start poaching wildlife and endangering people simply because they see a deer?

What a mind!

• Dave Miller says:

Mister Fulp’s opinion is indicative of the bureaucratic mentality that would strip individual liberty….Hey wait, maybe he knows the deer in his park will commit felonious acts against park visitors and this new law takes away their protection!

• RichardB says:

May I comment of the statement by Michael Fulp? Why would a law abiding citizen who has a CC pemit(I would think most CC Permit holders would be law abaiding) shoot wildlife in a State Park? Also, statistics show that in 2010 there were 170 crimes per day in State Parks. We should have the right to protect ourselves, even in State Parks.

• Guest says:

I’d have to say I agree with you. Its pretty clear that Mr. Fulp is most likely not a gun owner, and most likely does not know, or is not aware that he knows, gun owners. People who are willing to shoot at wildlife illegally, on state land, aka “wildlife sanctuary” in most cases, are obviously not concerned with the law. With that said, passing this law is not going have an effect on this matter. Mr. Fulp’s concerns are completely viable in that there DOES NOT need to be any animal shooting on state park ground where many people are walking/camping/running, etc. However, if Mr. Fulp would have taken a concealed carry class or a hunters safety course (both required to either obtain your CC license or a hunting license), then he would know that everyone involved in either communities is trained, educated, and aware of gun safety and the law. You can’t rag on someone who’s concerned with safety. You also can’t rag on someone who just doesn’t know any better. With that said, if you hear someone make a comment like Mr. Fulp’s, don’t get angry and defensive immediately. Chances are good that they just simply DONT KNOW. Calmly explain and educate them, and afterwards we just might have another advocate.

Shoot safe,
    WARVET

• GUSTO says:

I once killed a man with a large pink salmon…

• glocknutt says:

umm…..speak much? AND law abiding folks are not apt to do something as ignorant as what you describe. we hunt and shoot Only when and where we are allowed to do so.AND its our right to protect ourselves and OTHERS around us you boob!( including boobs like you).

Since you seem slower than the others it will be explained to you once more. People that have a taken the time, effort and expense to get a concealed carry permit don’t carry a weapon just in case a hunting opportunity appears. We carry them to protect ourselves, our families and maybe even a bed wetting liberal like yourself.

• Scott F says:

Defense is your option. We as good citizens can be trusted. We are the law abiding people of our great state.As a father it’s my responsibility to take option when available in or outside the home.

• Glocknutt says:

BRAVO J!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Guest2012 says:

A Peacenik who probably voted for Barry,(and wonders why we call him Barry, which is his actual name, before he changed it to a more ethnocentric name in early adulthood, when a radical told him it would be good for his future career to use his Kenyan FATHERS NAME.

Yes, this is a socialist president, who hates the Constitution and who would take away our Constitutional rights to carry and bear arms, if he could.

Don’t tread on our Gun Rights, little boys!