15 Comments for this article

Tags: , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — You may notice colorful swatches of yarn popping up in random places. These pops of art are taking over the world from London to Amsterdam to right here in the Port City.

A group of local artists is trying to turn the ordinary into the extraordinary by yarn bombing things like light poles and parking meters.

“It’s good clean fun. There’s nothing profane about it. It’s pretty,” yarn bomber Krys Lefler said. She decided to put her passion for crafts to good use by bringing the international art trend to the streets of Wilmington.

Yarn bombing is a movement to beautify objects often overlooked.

“I don’t know the concept, but I guess it definitely gets a reaction, because it’s something visual, and it’s all over downtown,” Brian Bost said. “It’s kind of a neat thing.”

Unlike Bost, Shelby Clark said her cousin is also a yarn bomber.

“I think they are the cutest things ever,” Clark said. “They’re just making everything so adorable, brightening up the city.”

Lefler says the bombs are a form of social or tag art, but unlike the often destructive and degrading graffiti, the yarn is peaceful.

“There’s no way to be political or anti-this or anti-that with yarn. I mean, anybody can enjoy it,” Lefler said.

“It’s pretty awesome,” said Megan McKeithan, who is honeymooning in Wilmington. “I think… I don’t know… anything to make things more pleasant and look nice, I’m all for it.”

“They take a lot of hard work, so I think it’s awesome that she’s sharing her hard work with the whole city making it cute,” Clark said.

“It may not be for everybody, but just sit back and enjoy the yarning,” Lefler said. “It’s pretty. It’s something different, and don’t hate.”

Lefler encourages everyone to join Port City Yarn Love and says she’ll be out yarn-bombing at least once a week. You can get more information at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_153683818032039

Comment on this Story

15 Comments on "ONLY ON 3: Yarn bombers hit downtown Wilmington"

Guest
2015 years 9 months ago

Except for the people who can find simple ways to make their lives positive and fun and filled with passion for someone or something. Her job is not to make sweaters for the homeless, if she wants to yarn bomb simply because its her artistic outlet, then so be it. Sometimes,for a minute, If youre lucky, life can be fun. But Noooo assholes have to make everything a huge issue. Do you take a second to think about this lady’s feelings when stranger’s are insulting her for yarning? Yarning?! Really!? There are way more important issues tto bitch about than Yarning! Yeesh very very sad people.

crochet lover
2015 years 9 months ago

The focus was on Port City Yarn Love. They use scrap yarn and Unfinished bits for yarn bombing. Plainly stated below was that the group does other things such as scarves and hats and such. Instead of assuming you know the whole story, ask questions of the group and find out more. They welcome crocheters and knitters too.

Guest2265
2015 years 9 months ago

Lady, you must have the time to do this. Instead of “showing off” your “art” form, and trying to atract attention to yourself, put it to a purpose that’s more meaningful. I crochet afghans each year, give them to folks who need them. I’ll make more this year, there are lots of hospitals, nursing homes where it makes a difference to a patient, the smile I receive in return is award enough. That’s MY art form.

Linda Selby
2015 years 9 months ago

This put a smile on my face! Keep up the good work…

Your trash is not my treasure.
2015 years 9 months ago

Doesn’t this count as littering? Who goes around and cleans up the mess after these people have strewn yarn everywhere? Your trash is not my treasure.

GuestWho
2015 years 9 months ago

Why don’t the yarners gather downtown at 2 AM on Thursday-Friday-Saturday and put the yarn on all the beer cans,and cigarette butts. If they are really energetic, they can make large ones and put it on the drunks passed out on the curb. If they can get them to put it on their heads before they pass out, it might prevent injuries as well as improve the looks of the gutters. GOOD JOB!!!!

Commonsensenotcommontoday
2015 years 9 months ago

…that we made a big mistake letting them out and closing so many mental hospitals.

Guest004
2015 years 9 months ago

No, you don’t trash people. I also think (I’m not sure they took away the comments) that you trashed the kids and/or the adults that released the balloons.

2015 years 9 months ago

yarn bombing is better than the “puke and pee” bombers that strike downtown every Friday and Saturday nights.

Commonsensenotcommontoday
2015 years 9 months ago

I freely admit that I trash criminals, left wing lunatics, and worthless breeders that produce kids they can’t feed. In this case, she’s technically a vandal and ten bucks says that she’s a liberal.

To refresh your memory on the balloons, I trashed the school administration for coming up with the idea. I still stand behind that. It needlessly kills marine life. There were other, non-destructive opportunities to hold a memorial to the two little boys.

Keep trying…..and I hope that your obsession over me is keeping you awake at night.

2015 years 9 months ago

What a waste of time, energy, ability, materials, etc. If someone is going to put so much effort into something creative, time-consuming, and costly, why not put the talent to good work? There are plenty of people who could benefit by way of afghan donations, etc. And in the meantime, their efforts would be appreciated and not leave them subjected to littering or defacing laws.

krys
2015 years 9 months ago

I guess it isn’t for everyone. Also, I donate m efforts making scarves every year for the Winter Special Olympics, prayer shawls for the sick, chemo caps and preemie items. This is what I do with scrap yarn that is leftover. Some of the other things I do was cut out of the story, unfortunately. This is something worldwide. I don’t feel this is littering as I am re-purposing something that is oft-ignored.

Guest 77
2015 years 9 months ago

Sounds like some people have wayyyyyyy to much time on their hands……..

Guest2012

nevermind….

But I loved this part of the story:

…”don’t hate.”

huh?

Guesto1
2015 years 9 months ago

Enough of the negative comments. Just enjoy! Thank you yarners (if this is a word) for brightening my day. Keep up the good work and ignore the haters..