7 Comments for this article

Tags: , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — There will be no classes at D.C. Virgo Middle School this fall. But this summer, the school is getting a facelift. That has some in the community upset.

School officials say crews are repairing the roof, renovating the gym and working on heating and air conditioning units. Repairs on the school building have many parents wondering why fix the building when the school’s not even open?

Stacy Glidden’s two children were set to go to Virgo next year before the school board voted to close the school. She says she thinks the school district is fixing the wrong problems.

“I think it’s giving a Band-Aid over an existing problem, and until the county addresses those problems, it’s not going to be fixed,” Glidden said.

Glidden says she does not understand why the district is putting money into Virgo when there are so many other problems around the county. She says instead, the focus should be on staff and curriculum.

“There are a lot of kids that have a lot of needs,” Glidden said. “You need more staff, you need more staffing, and I think sometimes the county has fell short addressing the main product and main problems of the county.”

The school board says it cannot use the money for any other reason. It says the nearly $1 million from the state for repairs was already assigned to the project, and is being used on D.C. Virgo because it has the greatest need.

“This is strictly capital dollars, which is very restrictive and for very focused use,” assistant superintendent Bill Hance said.

The school board hopes to reopen Virgo in a year. Glidden says that’s the wrong decision.

“I know there are a lot of families that don’t agree that Virgo should be closed. I do know that. I’ve heard that, but I think it’s a good thing,” Glidden said.

Other parents that we spoke with off camera say they don’t want D.C. Virgo to open again at all, and they think the money being spent to correct the building is a waste.

New Hanover County Schools hopes to have the repairs completed by the end of the summer.

Comment on this Story

7 Comments on "ONLY ON 3: $1 million project fixing up closed school building"

2015 years 10 months ago

It seems know one is in control of taxpayers money in the county or city,can not use taxpayers money in a common sense manner.Just another million dollars down the drain to satisfy a group of people.The local government and board groups need to be replaced many of them have outlive their time be a representative of the taxpayers of the county.

Grand Ole Party
2015 years 10 months ago

Can you not proof read? Your entire post is ripe with errors. Go back to school. Get an education. First off “It seems know” should read it seems NO one is in control. How can you question someones common sense when you are not able to put together a single sentence? I am still trying to figure out what the title of your post means?

Khadijah Doss Bryant
2015 years 10 months ago

My Name Is Khadijah, I Was A Student At D.C Virgo I Just graduated From There This Year. I Think D.C Should Be Opend Aigan,The Only Thing That Really Needed Help Was repairing.Everything Eles Is Wonderful, Like The Teachers We had was The Best Teachers, We Learned Everythng We Can Learn. I Love D.C Virgo Middle School… Now I’m In The 9th Grade And I Know Alot From D.C Virgo. i learn more faster and i learn more and more each day.

2015 years 10 months ago

Fix the school and let the children that live in that area attend it instead of busing them out to Myrtle Grove Middle School. Isn’t that what Brown vs Board of Education was about? Being able to attend the school closest to where the student lives. If the parents aren’t active in the community school, what makes the school board think they will be active in a school across town? It just doesn’t make sense.

2015 years 10 months ago

Call me ignorant – high school graduate, some college, and have my own business, but what does it mean that the money can’t be used for something else? The school is closed, hoping to be opened in another year. There are more pressing needs now for schools – why can’t the money be used elsewhere and who determines where it is used?

Keith G
2015 years 10 months ago

I see where there are several errors is this persons grammar and spelling. What I fail to understand is why that is more important to you than the subject at hand. I wish I was as perfect as you want to appear to be. Forget the spelling and grammar and look instead at the fact they are at least voicing an opinion on a subject they are concerned about.

Guest of whose rong, I mean who's wrong
2015 years 10 months ago

Your turn:

Let’s start with “ripe with errors”? Ripe? Are they ready to pick? Are you sure you don’t mean rife with errors as in widespread? Ripe! That is rich material. That goes in the collection. It’s similar to my old boss who told me it’s a doggy-dog world. Doggy-dog? What the aitch does that mean?

And then I’m sorry to report that you left out the possessive: the “common sense” belongs to someone; therefore, we would write someone’s common sense. BTW, not yours.

As Lucy Van Pelt says, HAH-HAH. HAH-HAH-HAH. HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH. You blockhead!