UNCW puts out list of ‘gay-friendly’ churches, businesses

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 08/17/2011 - 3:59am
Updated: Sat, 05/31/2014 - 2:15pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — UNCW has put out a list of “gay friendly” churches and businesses. The list was e-mailed a few weeks ago, and has since been questioned by students and staff.

It’s also making international headlines. One professor says not only is this upsetting, but it is an inappropriate use of state resources.

“I think gays and straights, Christians and atheists, everyone should agree that it is not the state’s business to go around and do research of churches and then kind of pick the ones that agree with them,” Dr. Mike Adams said.

The Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Questioning Intersex and Allied Resource Office at UNCW began distributing the list last month. Referred to as a “resource guide” the e-mail not only included “gay-friendly” churches but also attorneys, businesses and even health care providers.

Dr. Kimberly Cook, head of UNCW’s sociology department, later suggested professors share it with their students.

“I was just stunned that she circulated that e-mail and suggested that we ought to share it with our students,” Adams said. “I am absolutely outraged by it.”

However, some students say they feel the guide could be a good thing.

“It doesn’t offend me at all,” UNCW junior Sarah Heverly said. “I think it’s great to try and incorporate different people and make them comfortable in their community.”

Heverly says she understands Dr. Adams’s perspective, but says the group was only trying help.

“I can see it being inappropriate,” she said. “I can see both sides of it, but I definitely think that any way that we can incorporate everyone and make them feel welcome is great. We have different groups all over campus. What’s the difference?”

Adams says though the “gay-friendly” guide probably has not crossed the legal line, it should not be distributed.

UNCW Chancellor Gary Miller issued this statement about the list:

“UNCW actively fosters, encourages and promotes equality and inclusiveness For everyone in accordance with our university policies. I am personally committed to this ideal. That includes providing resources for all groups. I believe the resource guide recently released by LGBTQIA was intended for that purpose. To ensure we are fulfilling our responsibilities as a public university, I am asking that the Office of Diversity and Inclusion review the process by which the guide was created before it is distributed further.”

• Joseph Bowman says:

Mike is extremely conservative and outspoken, and I find myself disagreeing with him quite often. He publishes a blog and some conservative commentary books. I am surprised that he is risking putting his own agenda in the way of anyone coming to know God. I would expect him to do just the opposite, because I know him from small group Bible Study. “But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.” —Matthew 18:6.

My toaster has been dressing seductively lately. Now that explains it. It was making a move on my wife after it dumped the oven.

• Mrs. Trout says:

Hmm, list form is probably best:

1) Heaven forbid a college offer help to students looking for places to feel included and accepted. Especially when said students are members of a group that have often been victims of violence & harassment.

2) Mr. Adams seems better suited for Liberty University.

3) Why do so many Christians abandon the words of their own namesake for obscure parts of the Bible? Jesus Christ was a pretty neat, loving, & tolerant guy – perhaps someone should start a religion based on his teachings.

4) We are not a theocracy. You zealots that scream Bible verses to justify your own bigotry should look to Iran or even the Taliban for a mirror reflection.

• OpenMind says:

Listing a few churches that are accepting of ALL people is not the same as promoting religious views.

I am offended as a taxpayer that a professor at UNCW would write such ugly and hateful things about the churches included in the list.

• Guest says:

Not all UNCW programs are state funded – most areas on campus are student fee funded and others are supported from grants. The money that the state provides to the university can’t even cover basic administrative costs for operations, let alone programs for students.

• GuestLee says:

Wow! Glad I wasn’t a child in YOUR house!

• GuestLee says:

But….what if you’re wrong?

• GuestMAJ says:

Just because you say there is no God doesn’t make it true either. If people want to believe what they read in a book older than all of us, so be it. Do you have a better plan for living a good, morale, health life? If so, publish it or just shut up.

• Guest says:

Your right, there is no santa claus and no Easter bunny.. but there IS a GOD….. You will change your mind quickly when your quenching for some water, while burning in a lake of fire forever. It is truly sad that all it takes is having faith and believing and your willing to take that chance to spend forever in Hell.. There is a Heaven and there is a Hell. And there IS a GOD! Yes, I do believe. Yes I am saved and Yes I AM going to Heaven. Yes, I believe that lifestyle is a sin – do I hate the sinner, no… do I hate the sin – yes.. Christ does NOT hate the sinner – He hates the sin…. but the most SIN of them all – is NOT believing…… Search your own heart… but you will only get so many chances with God. He is a patient, loving God, but like I said the worst of them all – is NOT believing. I do pray for the gays – lesbians – and all others – that you search your heart – God created Adam and Eve.. not Adam and Steve….. He loves everyone – but its our sin that will destroy us.

• Travis says:

Wouldn’t you hate to be wrong?

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

You KNOW better. (Plus, I can spell “weak.” ;))

Are you ready to explain where that first hydrogen atom came from, yet?

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

After reading this post and your post from the other day, I have to ask: Why, if these people are superstitious nutbags who believe in a non-existent God, heaven, and hell, does their opinion of homosexuality as a sin that endangers your non-existent soul get you so angry? Why would you care what they think?

From now on I’m going to refer to you as an athiest with a little “a.” I think you may have some doubts….heh, heh, heh…..

• Das Weibstück says:

Maybe you should tattoo “homophobic” across your forehead so all of us who are comfortable with our sexuality will know to avoid you. Several studies have shown that men who are homophobic tend to be secretly attracted to other men. Its really sad that you have such fear of homosexuals, you might need to seek help for that.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

If there’s no God, where did this big, beautiful universe come from? (And please don’t try the “It just always was” nonsense, which is just as “illogical” as believing in God.

• Das Weibstück says:

That sign was just MEAN ! I am not even gay and it makes me mad. Those people are self righteous bigots ! I don’t care which group they are targeting, any church that basically tells another group that they are going to hell for their lifestyle is WRONG. Being an atheist has nothing to do with it.

That all you of “faith” just “believe” because you are afraid of “hell”. Do you really have faith and believe or are you letting a book terrify you of death. We are Mortal and nothing will happen when you die.

• GuestLee says:

And just because you say there is no God doesn’t make that true either.

A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding.

Mormons are right and you are wrong? or Muslims are right? What if Scientology is right…No i think I will stick to my not believing in fairy tales especially ones that have been written and rewritten at a whim. Humans have a very creative imagination that, is all your religion is.

• bonniewheeler says:

Love the sinner, hate the sin is what my Bible teaches. I believe in the bible and I have read the reason God destroyed Sodom. I sympathize with those who have the homosexual deformity just as I sympathize with alcholics. Both, however, can be controlled. If we are Christian we cannot support something that God has condemned and has destroyed nations because of. It’s scary. The scriptures can be found in both the old and new Testaments.
    Having said this, I would never allow any of my children to attend Coastal(NC) I recommend Clemson or USC. My children and grand children have already graduated or either currently attending Clemson. There they are allowed to have Christian prayer meetings on campus.
    Coastal(NC) needs a good lesson in history and how our Founders resorted to public prayer in establishing this great nation.
    I’m not self-righteous, just obedient to God’s command.

• WilmingtonMAJ says:

My problem with them is that these are the same people who wish to pass judgement on my, my life, and I have no doubt legislate against me. That is my problem.

• WilmingtonMAJ says:

You wouldn’t have been…i dislike children. You would have been aborted

• Grand Ole Party says:

Just because you don’t believe doesn’t mean there is no God. In the end people with faith will have lost nothing, if they are right they will have gained everything.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Weak minded homosexuals who refuse to believe in God because his plan doesn’t fit there lifestyle is so very tiring. Live as you wish. Why knock others faith just because you lack it? You are full of the same hatred you claim the christians have. How are you any better?

• GuestLee says:

Mormons, Muslims, Scientology. You’re speaking of religions, not God. But it doesn’t really matter to someone who is so closed minded.

I won’t convince you and you won’t convince me, so let’s just agree to disagree.

• Guest CommonTater says:

you say there isn’t YOU and Maj Appliance are the all knowing? Nah…. I don’t think so… Your agenda is well known bs…

• Guestonemoretime says:

There are comments regarding “What If There Is No God” and “What If” Christians are wrong and there is no God. Pretty simple answer. If Christians are right you loose your soul to a place that is described as eternal darkness and torment. If Christans are wrong we loose nothing, we are in the same boat as the people who don’t believe in God. Where do you want to spend eternity? Don’t ask people or religions. Ask God. He will reveal Himself to anyone who searches for the truth. God is who He says He is. He is not what the world desires or designs Him to be. If He was a god that we make up just to fit our selfish needs, desires, life styles and agendas then He would not be God. Revelation will tell you the result. It will not be pretty. My God is Holy and unapproachable as a human being. Without Christ we could never be in His presence. He is perfect and we are broken at birth.

I don’t want to persuade anyone to believe the things I do. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. But let me ask you this, is it closed minded of me to have read the entire bible, to have learned the studies of eastern religions. All of which speak of peace, yet all this war and fighting because of religions. God is on our side, he is also on their side. According to most religions we all come from the same place yet we have racist and religious battles amongst ourselves. If what the bible says is true (and its not because man made it up) then we all are going to hell! Sorry to offend anyone, not my purpose. you have your views I have mine and I agree, lets leave it at that.

• Guest says:

I guess I am WEAK minded but at least God helped me to learn to spell.

• Guest says:

If WWAY is going to quote a polarizing figure like Dr. Adams in their report they should take care to recognize his personal vendetta against UNCW, Dr. Cook and the LGBTQIA Center at UNCW in particular. Is WWAY aware that Dr. Adams has been convicted of anti-gay hate speech? All they would need to do is google his blog – he wrote about it. Dr. Adams has posted many blogs complaining about the existence of the LGBTQIA center. Dr. Adams has filed several lawsuits against the school – oddly, one of which was on his right to indoctrinate his students into his political and religious views (he thought it was his right to do so) and lost his case in federal court. His bigotry is well documented; WWAY should not be so naive and incompetent as to get sucked into reporting on Dr. Adams’s personal feud with his bosses.

• GuestLee says:

I have a better idea. Why don’t you tattoo “HOMO” across YOUR forehead so that WE can avoid YOU? After all, we are the majority, so it makes more sense financially (fewer people to tattoo). “HOMO” is only four letters, so it would fit better across the forehead than “homophobic”. Or, if you want to save even more money, reduce it to three letters, “GAY”. We’ll still know what you mean and will still avoid you. Sounds like a plan!

• Das Weibstück says:

Now THAT was funny !!

• Das Weibstück says:

My parents and teachers taught me to spell, you must be super special.

• GuestLee says:

I appreciate your response and your point of view. I do, of course, have a different view on a couple of points you made.

As you well know, there will be fighting and wars until the end of time. That’s human nature, not God’s. It’s also human nature to be racist, bigoted, and have religious battles. Part of the reason for the religious battles is because they are based on religion (taught by man), not God’s Word (inspired by the Holy Spirit).

I don’t believe that God takes sides of any of His children. He is only on the side of right, goodness, and mercy. He sent His son, Jesus, so that no one has to perish. We are not all doomed to hell, but it’s up to each individual person to choose…life or death. Jesus or Satan. It really is that simple.

• Das Weibstück says:

Uhuru Mazda created it.

“which is just as “illogical” as believing in God.” So you admit believing in god is illogical?

That was very well said. And, if we were to rely on an absence of sin to get us into heaven, no one would ever get in.

• Das Weibstück says:

Tell that to the other 1500 species that practice it. Start with the dwarf chimpanzee, one of our closest relatives. There are enough heterosexuals on the planet to keep the species going ya know.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

…WHEN YOU DON’T BELIEVE IN HELL!!!???!!!

the problem is the big bang theory..goes against basic laws of physics…that we take as FACT….one simple thing gets in the way…energy can neither be created, nor destroyed…which begs the question…where did that big ball of bound up energy that sparked all creation come from?

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

There is not a doubt in my mind that the secular issues of gay rights will prevail. The Constitution will win out over religious zeal. Within five years you will have every single legal right I enjoy.

When you engage them in the arena of religion you are going to resoundingly lose every battle! It is impossible for you to win. They are playing by THEIR rule book, the Bible, and as long as they believe it is the inspired word of God, you’re not going to convince them otherwise.

You can demand rights – you can’t demand acceptance.

In your case it should be easy to dismiss them as whackos. You don’t believe in God at all. (Or so you say, though you avoid that hydrogen atom as hard as you avoid straight sex) You should be able to look at them, shake your head, and walk away laughing. Fight them at every turn in the secular arena but don’t engage them in theological or moral discussions. It’s like that old adage, “Never try to teach a pig how to sing. It wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

The ones I feel sorry for are the gays and Lesbians who are trying to balance their life with Christianity. They are being led down the primrose path by false prophets who claim that the two lifestyles are not mutually exclusive. Anyone who can read the Bible understands that’s nonsense and they’re making it up as they go along.

The other side of that coin is that gays and Lesbians are being scared to death by people telling them that they’re going to burn for all eternity if they’re sexually active.

My advice to ANYONE who is faced with a moral dillema regarding their sexual preferences is to take the fundamental teachings you were raised on, be it the Bible, the Koran, or absolutely nothing, talk to God YOURSELF (he listens AND usually answers, or at least gives you a sign) and don’t depend upon anyone in the big busine$$ of organized religion to tell you what’s right or wrong.

I believe in God, I believe in his son Jesus, I believe that homosexuality is a sin, but I’ll never tell you that you’re going to hell for it.

That’s between you and God.

• Brit says:

I find all of these hateful and bigoted responses very queer, considering the circumstances. The phrase “Separation of Church and State” is used as a sledgehammer by non-believers and bible-phobes across the land to abolish the even the sight of anything religious within our bodies of thought and governance. In this case, the politically correct crowd has no quarrel, since the recommended churches practice the left kind of worshipping. I guess gayism, the worshipping of all gay things, isn’t really a religion, so no real foul was committed. Perhaps all of those that protest Dr. Adams article are really closeted promoters of Government sanctioned religion, as long as it’s the “correct” kind of religion.

…where those with blinders on and are otherwise short-sighted, that have no interest in the tremendous amount of “circumstances” that support our complex survival, much less universe…may just begin to scratch their chin and look up.

• Peter Yurgel says:

“Go and sin no more” Pretty simple directions but not easy to follow. Practicing homosexuality is a sin. So is adultery, sex out of wedlock, and many others. As a Christian, we need to repent our sins and try to “go and sin no more”. By a continued acceptance of active, unrepentant, homosexuals, these churches condone the sin. Would any of these other sins be held up to emulate as they do homosexuality: adultery? pedophilia? bigamy? polyamory? bestiality? promiscuity? Perhaps folks are born with a proclivity to the same sex. They choose to act on it. Heterosexual men are “born with the desire to mate with as many females as possible” (at least according to the Darwinists among others). why do those who chose to be promiscuous not get the same pass as homosexuals from these churches? The church is a place for sinners, but the sinners should be ashamed and repentant of their sins before God, not loud and proud.

The center put out a resource list that was ten pages long in which churches were listed. get it right.

• Das Weibstück says:

There are nearly two hundred instances of immediate correspondence between mythical Egyptian writings and the allegedly historical Christian writings that are in your bible. They are stories meant to put fear into uneducated peasants. I guess it worked because they just recycled them.

• Guest says:

Being a graduate of UNCW, it saddens me to think that one of our professors would put out such a hateful and closed minded rant. And did you really think this was a smart thing to put on the internet? What happens when you have infuriated so many people that students refuse to take your class? Free speech is one thing, but have a little judgment. I understand not agreeing with the distribution of the list (that’s not my stance, but I am attempting to walk in your shoes for a moment), but your rant goes on to tear down and make fun of those who are gay or anyone who would even consider going to one of the churches on the list. I don’t take anything you wrote seriously simply because, to make your point you didn’t use facts and fight fair, but instead used ignorant and hateful reasoning. Good luck on your continued employment at UNCW.

• guestonemoretime says:

It’s sad that you are unwilling to seach for the truth yourself and gamble your eternity on being “open minded”. “closed minded” is another word for spiritual blindness. No I could never convince anyone there is a God, Only God can do that for you. Do yourself a favor and be a bit more open minded and find out for yourself. Christianity is not a religon as the world makes it out to be. It is a relationship, one on one with God, not with a man, a pastor, or priest. Not Jewish, Moslem, or Scientolgy.

• Amanda says:

Making a list of gay friendly churches and writing them down is not recommending or endorsing them. The college also has lists of hotels people can stay at and area activities that are available to newcomers. This professor is underestimating his students’ ability to make their own choices when it comes to religion. There are many religious groups that post and meet on campus. There is an official “UNCW Catholic Student Center”, http://www.newman-uncw.org/ , among other UNCW affiliated religious organizations. Does this professor consider these to be going too far as well? No, he is not for equal rights. Oh..and he wants press.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

You people would receive a lot more support if you adopted a brand name and stuck with it. LGBTQIAXYZ is geting unmanageable.

LGB was fine, but suddenly you had to add a “T.” We get used to that and then a “Q” shows up. Now we have “intersex?”

Anyone who reads these boards knows how I feel about indecision, confusion, and weakness in general. If you’re a L, be the best L you can be. Ditto if you’re G or one of those “I’ll have sex with anything, man, woman, toaster, whatever B’s.”

If you’re a T, your problem is far more psychiatric than sexual. You need your own group.

If you’re a Q, go away until you make up your mind and then decide to be a G or an L.

If you’re an I, please tell us exactly what the hell you are because I have no idea what Intersex means.

Oh…and if you’re a minister, stop fooling yourself into thinking that the Bible does not condemn homosexuality. You KNOW it does. Why pretend otherwise? (Rhetorical question – I realize that LGB donations spend just as well straight donations, the G’s especially have above average incomes, and that’s what organized religion is all about!)

• Challenegetheworld says:

Maybe Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny and some other fictional characters will save you someday as you pray to end homosexuality. However, as time goes on you will find tolerance will soon outweigh your misuse of Christianity. Morality is about acceptance of those who are ethically sound. Homosexuality has nothing to do with morality just as much as it has nothing to do with homosexuality. I’m glad there are wacko churches out there that practice intolerance. Eventually, I believe that you all will kill each other off with your absurd paranoia.

• Pam says:

Thank God! These businesses & Churches will be better off without your hatred & your money!

• Guest says:

You know atheists have more faith than any religious group. They believe so much that there is no god and no eternity. They will argue their point til they face turns blue, even if it makes them look like complete idiots.

• Asheria says:

I find the comments on Dr. Adams being intolerant and bigoted (along with other things) to very very funny. Especially when considering original definitions.

tol·er·ance [tóllərənss]
    (plural tol·er·ances)
    n
    1. acceptance of different views: the acceptance of the differing views of other people, for example, in religious or political matters, and fairness toward the people who hold these different views
    2. tolerating of something: the act of putting up with something or somebody irritating or otherwise unpleasant
    3. ability to endure hardship: the ability to put up with harsh or difficult conditions

All of the name calling just proved that those who dislike Dr. Adams are being extremely intolerant of his view in the name of, what is this? Tolerance!

If no one got the picture, let’s see the definition of intolerant, shall we?

in·tol·er·ant [in tóllərənt]
    adj
    1. easily annoyed: easily angered or annoyed when things do not go as expected or desired
    2. unaccepting of differences: refusing to accept people who are different or live differently, for example, people of different races or religions
    3. unable to tolerate something: not able to endure or tolerate something

Let’s let it sink in for a bit… let it absorb naturally…

I think we still need more help here. Let’s look at some more dictionary definitions

big·ot [bíggət]
    (plural big·ots)
    n
    intolerant person: somebody who has very strong opinions, especially on matters of politics, religion, or ethnicity, and refuses to accept different views

It looks to me like everyone accusing Dr. Adams of these things are, as well, guilty of the same crime. Congratulations~

Also, in case some people didn’t know, pointing out hypocracy in the school systems in neither intolerant nor bigoted.

In fact, here’s the definition

hy·poc·ri·sy [hi pókrəssee]
    (plural hy·poc·ri·sies)
    n
    1. feigned high principles: the false claim to or pretense of having admirable principles, beliefs, or feelings
    It would be sheer hypocrisy for them to turn around and do what they criticize in others.

2. hypocritical act: an act or instance of hypocrisy
    After his hypocrisies became widely known, he decided not to run for re-election.

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Have a nice day.

• GuestParishioner says:

I am a parishioner at one of the churches mentioned above – #3, to be exact. I am straight, married for 20+ years, and have raised 3 children in the church. I am proud that our church does not judge anyone and has an open door policy regardless of race, creed, national origin, sexual preference, etc.

I am saddened by the flip commentary on each of the churches. I feel it was out of place and demeans each of the churches that are listed. I was especially disgusted by the s&m references made about a place that is very dear to me.

Even if Dr. Adams does not agree the college distributing a list or churches or businesses having gay-friendly policies, why does he feel the need to make such comments about each place?

You post this nonsence “studies” crap everytime someone disgrees with your homosexual lifestyle. I never really see any “fear” at all of homosexuals displayed by any of these comments. What I do see is disagreement with that lifestyle from people that happen to have faith based lives. Since homosexuals can’t seem to find a place in the world of Christianity because the bible happens to condemn it, you dump religion, deface it, decry it, denounce it and want to believe it doesn’t really exist, but you can’t. Simply another case of denial and your own method of justifying your “different” lifestyle that so many STILL happen to disagree with.

Your posts continue to display that you have innate problems with your own form of existence and you simply aren’t comfortable with who you are. Here’s a beginners tip: Accept what you are and the position you are in. Realize that it is not the societal norm and accept that. Don’t flaunt your unwanted lifestyle in the faces of those that don’t want it (the great majority).

Public acceptance of homosexuality and the level of tolerance to that condition has increased dramatically in the last 30 years. The flagrant display of homosexuality is now posed to the public by you as an “in your face, here I am, what are you gonna do about it!” method and is greatly hampering your progress. There are still the great majority of people that don’t like it, don’t agree with it and many that view homosexuality as very perverse. You are never going to change that view, especially with demeaning comments that slam religion, your personal attacks with the wants of applying a forehead tattoo and by quoting some bogus studies regarding homophobia.

• GuestLee says:

Common, I just LOVE your posts! You’re in rare form today! And so right!

Big shocker there!

I think everyone knows that from every post you make. You’re a bitter old cynical man that nobody will miss once you’re gone.

Keep talking, maybe someday you’ll say something intelligent.

• GuestLee says:

After reading all your posts, that’s not your only problem.

Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.

• GuestLee says:

Oh, he knows better….he’s just jealous that you spell and write better than he does.

• GuestLee says:

I think you and Maj will make a beautiful couple. You’re perfect for each other.

UNCW=NC State Funded-
    Sorry but this falls under separation of church and state.
    UNCW is using tax dollars to promote religious views and is totally unacceptable.
    I am offended as a taxpayer that they are supporting gays.
    Thank You WWAY for bringing this to my attention.

• Guest says:

Actually, it doesn’t. Public universities support religious clubs, provide space for regligious gatherings, and often have lists of religious groups for students looking for them. Public universities, including the one where I work in North Carolina, have lists of non-univeristy housing options in our off-campus housing office, have lists of non-university recreational offerings in our recreation center, have lists of non-university charities in our volunteer office, have links to all kinds of non-university sources of information in our library, have lists of medical providers in the health center, etc. So what is the problem exactly with providing a list of non-university resources for gays? It isn’t illegal to be gay. State institutions cannot base their decisions on religious interpretations. I’m sure if a campus conservative Christian group wanted to compile and release a resource guide they could ask others on campus to share it. I don’t think the university was *requiring* anyone to post or distribute the list.

• Guest says:

Prof. Adams did nothing wrong. He took a document issued by one of UNCW’S diversity offices and made it public with some editorial comments.

As a taxpaying citizen of this great State I believe that my tax dollars can be of better use than five diversity offices and their staffs.

People wonder why the cost of education is getting so high frivolous, 5 diversity offices could be part of the problem!!!!!!!

Way to go Prof. Adams – We need more, not less, like you!!!!

• Sebastian says:

That’s a great deal of circular logic you have going there. But really, your well thought out argument is really just a justification for Dr. Adams’ prejudices. But I’m glad that you can copy and paste oh so well to show us, your fellow wwaytv3 readers, the error of our ways. But if you don’t mind, I just want to point out that you’re missing the whole point (I know you must be busy thinking about definitions and supposed irony and all that, but hear me out). This isn’t an issue of tolerance, or intolerance, or of being intolerant of Dr. Adams’ lack of tolerance (Which is a ridiculous argument, by the way. “But think about the homophobes’ feelings!!” is essentially what you’re saying). It’s about an otherwise helpful guide for marginalized students, made to help them feel comfortable in this community, being targeted strictly because its audience IS a marginalized group of peoples. And that is called discrimination. You’re right. It’s very very funny.

Have a nice day.

That is a student organization.

• Das Weibstück says:

I will see you in hell Maj, we can party for eternity with the enlightened people.

To the rest of you, just because you say there IS a god doesnt make it true. What you call god is really your own ego.

• Guest says:

Well if god is there he will love all his children if the hate or dont belive in him cause where i come from a father loves there children no matter what they may do and would never let harm come to them even at the cost of there on life so use your brain and not your eyes sometimes GEEEEEE!

• Guest says:

What center are you talking about? The LGBTQIA is a resource center in the diversity office that is at UNCW.

• David says:

This is exactly how I feel. Every single one of us falls prey to a sin of some kind – like Paul’s thorn in his side. For some of us, it’s overwhelming insecurity, gluttony, kleptomania, compulsions, chemical dependence, etc. But God gave us these challenges to overcome, not to surrender to them. Churches that obey and revere God will not pick and choose certain sins to condone.

• Guest says:

A fellow taxpayer myself, I disagree with a lot of things that the tax dollars go towards. But I don’t see how supporting equality is offensive. It may go against your moral values, but I’m sorry, this is the society you live in.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and Dr. Adams is no exception. Unfortunately for him, however, as a Professor at UNC Wilmington, he should be held to a higher standard – one that does not promote ignorance and bigotry. I am fearful of the way he treats openly gay and lesbian students in his class. He answered far more questions about his personal belief system voluntarily and should now be held accountable and questioned. I doubt he offers the same amount of help or time to openly gay students. I believe that if he had a choice, he wouldn’t even allow them in his class. UNC Wilmington needs to stand strong against this type of discrimination and discipline Dr. Adams. As a professor, he is a representation of UNC Wilmington and the school, as well as the entire UNC system should be ashamed and embarrassed of him and his comments. Dr. Adams needs to comprehend that gay and lesbian people need to be treated as equals – no matter of one’s personal beliefs.

• SMBeez says:

Plain and simple. Homosexuality is unnatural. The human race cannot exist if gay sex is correct, PERIOD!!!!
    I do not hate, I do not practice prejudice of any sort.
    We are not perfect beings we are bags of fluid and chemical reactions. Wires can and do get crossed.
    There may be no choice in the matter of someones sexuality. The choice comes in acting upon those impulses. The argument is the same for people who kill or do not kill other people. You are only a sinner if you act upon your impulses.
    Again, try to make the race exist with gay sex. You can’t. Homosexuality is UNNATURAL!

Me…where is this “separation of church and state” mentioned in our founding documents? Please provide me some links…

• Judy Gibson says:

What wonderfulnews thatWilmington has churches that reach out to everyone! I commend UNCW for supplying that information to the students. And where else should we all be , but in church? I think that is the place for sinners like you and me.

• sailboat2323 says:

How sweet.

Prof Adams loves to hear himself speak. He is obviously full of hate toward anyone who is not like him. No one forced him to pass out this list. He just got offended by it and therefore needed to cry about it to anyone who would listen. By the way, I wonder how many of these comments giving accolades to the prof are actually written by him. From what I hear, he loves to troll sites and leave himself very positive reviews, including calling himself “hot” on ratemyprofessor.com.

• Guest says:

I am offended. I do not want my tax dollars used for this purpose.

• Brian says:

But, taxpayer money should not be used to fund ‘perks’ for one lifestyle over another. This type of project could have and should have been done by students as a project, or by a group that receives private funding, and does NOT receive public funding.

• James Horrell-Hammond says:

I am a proud member of St. Jude MCC. Our pastor John is a blessing. We feel that all are welcome at the table. How can we judge each other? How can you judge a church and it’s people? I welcome all of you to join us. Hate is not welcome. We are all part of the family of God. I am blessed there is a place for my son and family! God bless you all.

Nothing happens when you die…

• Double edged sword says:

Personally, I am grateful that this list has been released.

Now I know which Churches and which businesses I should steer clear of.

“Hate the sin, but love the sinner”, this should be of great value in someone’s determination of the Church that they would like to attend.

Also, maybe the Pastor’s and Priest should post their beliefs on the front door of the Church. This would allow parishioners the opportunity to see which side of the question their religious leaders come down on. But maybe that would impact attendance and donations to the Church. If the leader really wants parishioners to know.

I am amazed by the fact that this “behavior” is being legitimized by Christians.

As for the businesses that are listed, I can’t in good conscious, spend in that store or office etc, knowing their acceptance and backing of this “lifestyle”.

Vandalizing of Church signs, and Julia Bozeman’s name on the list are enough for me to refrain from doing any business with those on the list.

The lbgtiouzqrsnucps has their beliefs, I have mine!!

• Guest says:

FYI. The statement Separation of church and state is not a part of the constitution. It was a part of a private letter written by Thomas Jefferson written to Danbury Connecticut Baptist Association. While often referenced by people unfamiliar with the constitution it is in reality not a part of constitution ( aka holds no water) . This is similar to the parody of the seven deadly sins as often believed to be a part of the christian bible which it is not.

• WilmingtonMAJ says:

People…there is no santa claus, there is no east bunny, there is no tooth fairy, and there is no god. Get over it people. Week minded individuals who are afraid of the hereafter and want to explain things are so very tiring. How is this any different than the greeks believing in zeus and hades.

• Office Fan says:

So then you must also be offended that UNCW would support straight people as well right, or are gay people sub-human in your judgment and unworthy of the universities support? Your tax dollars support hundreds of organizations across the state, some geared to straight people and others to gay people.

Please explain to me how UNCW is promoting any religion? All they are doing is providing information to students so they can make informed decisions about what they do outside of class. There are many out of town and out of state gay students who might end up at some place like Seagate without this information being provided to them.

As a UNCW graduate, I know for a fact that they also provide lists of local religious organizations and places of worship for all faiths and denominations as a way of letting students unfamiliar with Wilmington know what our city has to offer. As a university with a substantial on-campus population and out of state population, it is their DUTY to provide incoming students with as much information as possible to make their transition to life at UNCW as stress-free as possible

• GuestLee says:

If you lose your temper, you’ve lost the argument.

• Guest says:

There was nothing hateful in Dr. Adam’s column. He pointed out the hypocrisy of the liberal left, and they didn’t like it. Truth hurts. The liberals always point out we have to have separation of church and state, and promote diversity/tolerance. That’s as long as everyone agrees or keeps their mouth shut. Read the 1st Amendment, if that fails, read it again. The Majority in this Country are tired of keeping their mouth shut while the liberal minority whine and try to make the rules to their own liking. Dr. Adams pointed out you can’t have it one way. The LGB (whatever-you keep adding letters because you don’t have enough to fill the ranks) center should not have used public funds to send religious materials advocating a specific church. That is a form of State Sponsored Religion which (you liberals have pointed out over the years)is prohibited by the Constitution. Try reading it sometime and quit trying to conduct character assassination on someone of whom you know very little.

• guest 87783 says:

Adams’ obsession has nothing to do with Christianity nor has it ever. It is self serving and driven by his own demons. Should he serve his fellows, rather than buy his precious guns, do his work rather than write his pontificating and hate filled column, should he be about the true Message of Him, this man could have the peace of fellowship, the true sucess of his own endeavors, and could use his skills with language to aid in making a differnece for others. Alas he is about serving no one and nothing and at the end of the day…it is just sad..harmful..but so very sad.

• Brit says:

I suspect you know nothing of the man. You would do well to research what he spent his summer doing.

• Guest says:

What’s sad is that there are still so many ignorant, hateful people like Adams out there. These people are the reason it is necessary to put out a list of “gay friendly” places. If everyone acted like a decent, intelligent human beings, that kind of list wouldn’t be necessary.

• WilmWatcher says:

You win the internet. Thank you sir. Game over.

• Walt Mansfield says:

Does anyone know if the school has a list of “Jesus-Friendly Churches?”

• anne says:

Thank you for asking that question. Not so sure if many on this forum are that interested, but some are. We can debate what man says all we want. When the end comes, and it is coming, there will be no time for debate. And when all is said and done, it is what God says that will matter.

And to the pastor of one of the churches, you may be worshipping Jesus, who is the Son of God, and God was the one in the Old Testament that destroyed cities due to the sexual immorality of society at that time. And yes homosexuality is mentioned – you might want to go back and read it.

• Guest says:

Unfortunately in this day and age of the apostate, emergent “church”, that list is very short.

• WilmWatcher says:

I find it beautifully ironic that your church is named after Jude – who wrote in Jude 1:4 – “For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.”

At first glance, you seem to exemplify this passage, as your church is devoted to perverting the grace of God into a license for immorality. The Bible, specifically the New Testament, is very clear about homosexuality being sexual immorality. 1 Timothy 1:10 for example: “for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine”.

Contrary to the “sound doctrine”. Quite an indictment. I tolerate people living as they choose as long as it doesn’t interfere with my right to the same. But using the church of Jesus Christ as a battle axe to promote one particular facet that the Bible is clear about being immoral, compels me to speak out.

• As pastor of St Jude’s MCC, I want to comment that St Jude did not condemn homosexuality. In the letter of Jude, sexual immorality is referenced, homosexuality is not mentioned… and indeed could not be mentioned since the term was not coined until the end of the 19th Century. St Jude wrote his letter in the 1st Century. LGBTQIA people are lots of things (courageous, loving, hard-working, sincere)… but one thing we are not is condemned by St Jude. Since reading Adams’ comment I guess I need to assume that he equates sexual immorality with being “gay”. While I certainly understand there are those who make that claim, they are increasingly in the minority of Christianity. I invite everyone reading this to come to St Jude’s MCC and see and hear what Jesus taught us about living together. (By the way, Jesus didn’t say one word about “homosexuality” — and I am a follower of Jesus Christ, not Jude, or Paul.) Blessings! And thank you UNCW LGBTQIA Office for including us on your list!

• Jude says:

Jude 7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

• Guest says:

Hey – you know what else Jesus didn’t mention by name – pedophilia, bestiality, serial killing, using meth, randomly punching paper boys in the face, knocking someone’s knick knacks off their shelving and breaking them or identity theft, but then again I didn’t need him to because based on other things He did say I was able to somehow figure out that those things were sinful. Moron.

• Guest says:

Jude 1:7 in a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and Perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

if you will remember back to the old testament, Sodom and Gomorrah were the gay cities whom God destroyed with fire….. because of their homosexuality….

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

All you’re doing is compromising your integrity for the sake of….what?

Political correctness?

Wanting to appear cool?

Loading up the collection plate with contributions from a demographic group with above average incomes?

What do you think Jude was refering to when he mentioned Sodom and Gomorrha and “going after strange flesh?”

I am 100% in favor of secular gay rights. They have a right to demand total equality from our government. I believe just as strongly that the demands they are making of churches is out of line and being fueled by false prophets who tell them that God is suddenly “cool with homosexuality”….that the words contained within the Bible, the inspired word of God according to most Christians, simply don’t matter any more.

What doth it profit a man if he gain the entire world but suffer the loss of his immortal soul?

• Terry Tomb says:

As a proud member of St Jude’s MCC, I would like to invite anyone who is looking for a Spirit filled church that worships God and accepts each individual just as they are.

• David says:

I don’t even know why St Jude is being held out as a reference for this discussion, since he didn’t mention homosexuality. But there are many other references to homosexuality in the Bible, and you can use a concordance to find dozens of examples. For example, 1st Timothy 1: 8-11 __ “But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted.”

• WilmWatcher says:

You are utterly and completely wrong in every way my friend. The Bible does not claim any of the things that you have stated. http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/ScientificBible.htm

I would be glad to provide you with many more resources and evidence wilmingtonrants@gmail.com

• leapmom says:

The BIBLE is absolutely not “a terribly flawed book that reflects tribal ignorance and superstition”!

The BIBLE is the inspired word of GOD the creator of all.

The people who stories were chronicled in the Bible were human, therefore sinners. Their human weakness and sinful behavior does not invalidate the Bible. It illustrates the power, mercy and grace of GOD.

The love GOD is so magnificent that He sent His Son to take our punishment so that we may live. GOD loves us that much–nothing “bronze” about that!

We are all worshipping something/someone—-choose wisely!

• GuestLee says:

OMG…do you REALLY believe all this?

“The Bronze Age” men didn’t write the Bible; the Holy Spirit wrote it through them.

Maybe I missed it, but I don’t remember reading anywhere in the Bible where it states the earth is flat and is the center of the universe. Could you tell me exactly where you found that?

Epileptics were stoned to death by men. Jesus embraced them.

Women are STILL treated like second class humans, but by man, not God. God sent two women (who saw the stone rolled away at Jesus’ tomb) to be the first to spread the good news. They were the very first evangelists….not men.

It has not been proven that homosexuality is genetically determined. I think that your assumption is “flawed”.

The Bible is only “flawed” if you look at it that way, with a lack of understanding without the Holy Spirit.

The Bible is definitely a “work of moral instruction”. That is how mankind established what is moral or immoral in the first place. They took it from the Bible.

Twisting things to suit your liking does not prove your point, and makes people less likely to believe your opinions.

• Guest says:

First, you are assuming that all of the money that the LGBTQIA Center receives comes from taxpayer funds and not from student tuition or donation. Have you investigated this possibility before you make a claim? Doubtful. The goal of the e-mail was not to raise revenues for local churches but to help students. It is the University’s job, acting in loco parentis, to provide a safe and supportive environment for all students, as well as to act as a resource for information on the community for students and their parents. The University provides multiple resources for women and would be happy, I’m sure, to provide you with a list of un-friendly gay churches, businesses and the like if you were a student and requested such a list. I doubt however that they would provide a list of inclusive businesses and churches for dogs, cats birds and bugs as they are not eligible to attend UNC-W.

• Thundarr the Librarian says:

So did none of you people read the Constitution? What happened to seperation of church and state… Do state funds support UNCW? So why are lists being prepared on material paid for through state tax revenues to increase the attendance and income of local churches? The answer is yes regardless of moral or ethical “feelings”. So Professor Dufus is more or less right dispite his questionable motivations. And Professor Legally-Ignorant in a rush to be as inclusive and hop on some non-existant socially aware highground (and fill some classes with diciples) was probably blissfully unaware of how the law works where state funds are used. So there… everyone except me is wrong.

As a postscript… Doesnt that also mean UNCW is now required to produce a list of un-friendly gay churches, businesses, and the like? What about womens rights? How about animal rights activists. I want complete inclusivness of every group of people, dogs, cats, birds, and bugs…

• Wade griffis says:

To paraphraze a fameous politician, who got caught with his pants down ” I am not gay, have never been gay and have never used a product called, “Ben Gay.” . I do not even know what it is for.”

Well, unfortunately for the makers of “Ben Gay”, they will probably have to change their name, even though it is a very good over the counter pain relief formula.

Let us move on to the bible: The bible did not fall out of the sky as the one Holy Book. It was given to us from scripts found in ancients lands, courtesy of the Catholic Church- Which edited out whatever they chose.

Do the research before you send the lynch mobs after me.

• GuestLee says:

Leviticus was written for the children of Israel, not for Christians.

Funny how people use scripture they know nothing about to justify their own beliefs, which were formed at an age when their understanding was at its weakest.

Why do people who know the least know it the loudest?

• Bwross says:

Leviticus also lists eatting locusts, bats, herons, etc and oh yeah pigs as abominations and unclean to eat. I guess they justify it the same way you justify eatting bacon.

• Guest says:

“Now one thing you can’t deny, no matter what you think, feel, or believe – is that the degradation and decline of every single empire over the last 6000 years can be directly attributed to the rise in homosexuality. Go research it. As society degraded morally, every single factor pertaining to a civilization’s strength; economic, liberty, trade, and military might degraded along with it; and homosexuality among the population grew at an equal rate.”

First, we are not an empire. Second, that’s not true, in fact, many scholars claim that Christianity played a part in the demise of many an empire, including the fall of the Roman empire. As a follower of the word of Christ, I believe that the fall of this nation may be at the hands of Christians as well – those who twist Christianity into a religion that breeds and encourages hatred and hypocrisy.

“For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.
    Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’
    And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'”
    (Matthew 25.35-40 ESV)

• WilmWatcher says:

No matter where you stand on this issue, I urge everyone to take a look at Romans 1:26-32

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.
    _____________________________

It’s right there in history; you can either ignore it or you can accept it – but one thing you can’t do is say it isn’t true. The Bible verse above explains it perfectly – God basically gets sick and tired of putting up with a nation’s crap and removes His hand somewhat, allowing a rise in such immorality.

Therefore, it could actually be true that a person is “born” with homosexual desires. However, it isn’t in their DNA – you will never find the “gay” gene. It is a direct result of the above.

If you study American history, you can see this effect – look at our nation 200 years ago, when we believed in God, and lived moral lives. We enjoyed prosperity, liberty, and were the light of the world. Even as recent as the 1940s and 50s – we were flourishing and prospering. Look at the rate of homosexuality and moral decline in society. And then look at the 60s, 70s, 80s, and up to now. As morality broke down, faith in God declined, every indicator of prosperity declined as well.

The great antidote is revealed in 2 Corinthians 7:14 “if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” – this is a message JUST TO CHRISTIANS. A lot of people get that wrong – they think that the whole nation has to do this. But it clearly says “people – who are called by my name”. We, the Christians, need to humble ourselves, confess our sins, and cry out to God – and He promises that he will “heal our land” – which is what our land desperately needs – and I don’t think anyone would argue with that.

• Christina says:

This coming from a teacher no less! I can see your one of those good “Christians” that promotes fear and hostility. I see there is a lot about the Bible you missed. I applaud UNCW’s group for giving the community a source for Christians in our area to find a church that isn’t filled with hate and judgement and everyone else should too. I believe there is a message somewhere about teaching others about Jesus and if a gay or questioning member in the community needed somewhere to turn for spiritual guidance without fear wouldn’t you want them to find that? And as far as OUR tax dollars being used to promote religion in the country everywhere including schools!!!!

• Pastor Micah says:

I am saddened by the ignorant and hateful comments of this professor. I can see concerns about seemingly promoting a religious group or another at a college institution. Since the context is not promoting religion but listing locations that have treated GLBT people well, though, this is not promoting religion but describing people’s experiences. Otherwise listing hate groups like the KKK would be promoting religion — since religion is used to justify their hatred — or referring people to the Salvation Army for food is promoting religion — since they feed the hungry due to their faith. I think what bothers me the most is how this professor is listing off inaccuracies and sterotypes in his article and, yes, talking as if Christianity cart blanch ought to exclude gay and lesbian persons. In truth Christianity has as many diverse opinions on this as it does on modes of baptism. Many leading Christian teachers such as Archbishop Desmond Tutu, the late Coretta Scott King, among others teach that sexual orientation does not determine one’s place with God but one’s heartfelt faith in Christ. My own association of churches teaches this, as do many Presbyterian, Episcopal, Lutheran, and even a growing number of Baptist and Pentecostal churches. I want to encourage folks to also read some of the Biblical rationale for welcoming GLBT people — http://www.progressivechristianalliance.org/Blog/articles/what-the-bible-says-a-letter-to-a-straight-christian-about-gay-rights/ is an article I wrote for my association’s website on this topic. Blessings! Pastor Micah

• JohnG says:

Is anyone surprised that the ‘professor’ wasn’t at all concerned with the list of churches on that same school’s main website? This is the same guy who sued to try and close the LGBT center, remove any protections for them at the school, has produced some of the most vile rants I’ve ever seen (even attacking children), and made legal arguments that he himself has full rights to indoctrinate students on political and religious topics during work time and against his employers wishes (yay tenure …).

This is just a guy with an obsessive hatred of gay people yelling in public over nothing … again.

• phillyguy says:

I don’t think a volunteer group on campus typing a memo listing LGBT businesses and churches for local and new out of town students will cost tax payers huge amounts of money. The basketball team are in the Bahamas right now, how much is that costing along with other student and faculty events? Dr. Adams instead of ripping apart churches and businesses that are willing to accept all people, why don’t you sit in a few of the services and see the good they are doing for our community !

• K. Royal says:

There are a handful of verses in Scripture people are often ignorant about the meaning of; some willfully ignorant, sadly, when it comes to the topic of homosexuality.

First, Genesis 1:26-28 and Genesis 2:18-25

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
     27 So God created mankind in his own image,
       in the image of God he created them;
       male and female he created them.
     28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

Genesis 2:18-25

18 The LORD God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”
     19 Now the LORD God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.
       But for Adam[f] no suitable helper was found. 21 So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs[g] and then closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib[h] he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.
     23 The man said,
       “This is now bone of my bones
       and flesh of my flesh;
    she shall be called ‘woman,’
       for she was taken out of man.”
     24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.
     25 Adam and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame.

There are a number of people who read the creation story and say “God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.” Somehow, they think this is a case against homosexuality. In actuality, the creation story says nothing about homosexuality. It speaks only of the love between a man and a woman. That doesn’t say that because that love was between a man and a woman, there is no other type of love God created. That was just the FIRST type of love. And honestly, it had to be. How else would the world have been populated? We can’t anymore say from this story that God condemns homosexuality than we can that God condemns red hair. It isn’t mentioned.

Next, the story of Sodom and Gomorrah in Genesis 19

Sodom and Gomorrah Destroyed
     1 The two angels arrived at Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of the city. When he saw them, he got up to meet them and bowed down with his face to the ground. 2 “My lords,” he said, “please turn aside to your servant’s house. You can wash your feet and spend the night and then go on your way early in the morning.”
       “No,” they answered, “we will spend the night in the square.”
     3 But he insisted so strongly that they did go with him and entered his house. He prepared a meal for them, baking bread without yeast, and they ate. 4 Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom—both young and old—surrounded the house. 5 They called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.”
     6 Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him 7 and said, “No, my friends. Don’t do this wicked thing. 8 Look, I have two daughters who have never slept with a man. Let me bring them out to you, and you can do what you like with them. But don’t do anything to these men, for they have come under the protection of my roof.”
     9 “Get out of our way,” they replied. “This fellow came here as a foreigner, and now he wants to play the judge! We’ll treat you worse than them.” They kept bringing pressure on Lot and moved forward to break down the door.
     10 But the men inside reached out and pulled Lot back into the house and shut the door. 11 Then they struck the men who were at the door of the house, young and old, with blindness so that they could not find the door.
     12 The two men said to Lot, “Do you have anyone else here—sons-in-law, sons or daughters, or anyone else in the city who belongs to you? Get them out of here, 13 because we are going to destroy this place. The outcry to the LORD against its people is so great that he has sent us to destroy it.”
     14 So Lot went out and spoke to his sons-in-law, who were pledged to marry[a] his daughters. He said, “Hurry and get out of this place, because the LORD is about to destroy the city!” But his sons-in-law thought he was joking.
     15 With the coming of dawn, the angels urged Lot, saying, “Hurry! Take your wife and your two daughters who are here, or you will be swept away when the city is punished.”
     16 When he hesitated, the men grasped his hand and the hands of his wife and of his two daughters and led them safely out of the city, for the LORD was merciful to them. 17 As soon as they had brought them out, one of them said, “Flee for your lives! Don’t look back, and don’t stop anywhere in the plain! Flee to the mountains or you will be swept away!”
     18 But Lot said to them, “No, my lords,[b] please! 19 Your[c] servant has found favor in your[d] eyes, and you[e] have shown great kindness to me in sparing my life. But I can’t flee to the mountains; this disaster will overtake me, and I’ll die. 20 Look, here is a town near enough to run to, and it is small. Let me flee to it—it is very small, isn’t it? Then my life will be spared.”
     21 He said to him, “Very well, I will grant this request too; I will not overthrow the town you speak of. 22 But flee there quickly, because I cannot do anything until you reach it.” (That is why the town was called Zoar.[f])
     23 By the time Lot reached Zoar, the sun had risen over the land. 24 Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the LORD out of the heavens. 25 Thus he overthrew those cities and the entire plain, destroying all those living in the cities—and also the vegetation in the land. 26 But Lot’s wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.
     27 Early the next morning Abraham got up and returned to the place where he had stood before the LORD. 28 He looked down toward Sodom and Gomorrah, toward all the land of the plain, and he saw dense smoke rising from the land, like smoke from a furnace.
     29 So when God destroyed the cities of the plain, he remembered Abraham, and he brought Lot out of the catastrophe that overthrew the cities where Lot had lived.

In this story, two angels (very important to note that the text says they are angels, not humans) go to stay with Lot’s family. At this point in the text, God has already decided to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah because of how conceited, unconcerned, and self-centered they are. Lot has pleaded with God to save the cities if just a few righteous people can be found. When the city finds out that Lot’s family has guests, the text tells us that “all the men of the city” swarmed the house and demanded that the guests come out so that they may “know them.”

A couple points of interest here. In Hebrew, which is the original language of the OT (as well as smatterings of Aramaic), “all the men of the city” literally means “everyone in the city.” Often in Scripture “man” and “men” are used to mean mankind. So everyone in the city came to Lot’s door. At this time in history, when there were foreigners in a city, it was very common for the city to band together and try to humiliate them and run them out of the city. The way this was done was through gang rape. It’s important to note that what is going on here is not somebody who was in love with somebody of the same sex wanting to be in a love relationship. What was going on here was a group of people wanting to humiliate and force things on people they didn’t even know. That’s not a loving act. That’s not homosexuality. That’s exploitation and violence.

Later on, Ezekiel 16:49-50 tells us ” ‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.”

So Scripture itself tells us why Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed. It says nothing about homosexuality. It DOES say they “did detestable things” but wanting to gang rape visitors, especially angels, is pretty detestable.

A lot of people join the story of Sodom with another verse to try to condemn homosexuality. They point to Jude 1:7 which says 7Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.”

Many try to say the “strange flesh” comment means men having sex with men. Yet if you read the text again, you’ll notice what I pointed out as first being very important. The guests were angels, not humans. Humans wanting to rape angels IS going after strange flesh.

There are two passages in Leviticus which say that a man sleeping with another man is an abomination. Many people take this and say “see, God is against homosexuality.” And yet, remember, the OT was originally written in Hebrew and Aramaic. In the original Hebrew, the word that we now see as abomination was “to’eba.” The definition of to’eba is something that a set group or culture of people deems unclean or taboo. We must remember that the book of Leviticus is what is called a Holiness Code. It was a lawbook written for Levitical priests. When it says something is “to’eba” what it is saying is that this particular thing makes Levitical priests ritually unclean. It’s not the same as saying something is sinful. Several other things were counted as “to’eba” in Leviticus, including eating shellfish, wearing mixed fabric clothing, and even planting two different crops next to each other.

There are three more common passages that people use to try to say God condemns homosexuality; 1 Timothy 1:9-10, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 and Romans 1:18-32.

“Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine.” 1 Timothy 1:9-10

“Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.” – 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

“18For God’s [holy] wrath and indignation are revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who in their wickedness repress and hinder the truth and make it inoperative.
    19For that which is known about God is evident to them and made plain in their inner consciousness, because God [Himself] has shown it to them.20For ever since the creation of the world His invisible nature and attributes, that is, His eternal power and divinity, have been made intelligible and clearly discernible in and through the things that have been made (His handiworks). So [men] are without excuse [altogether without any defense or justification],(A) 21Because when they knew and recognized Him as God, they did not honor and glorify Him as God or give Him thanks. But instead they became futile and [a]godless in their thinking [with vain imaginings, foolish reasoning, and stupid speculations] and their senseless minds were darkened.22Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves].23And by them the glory and majesty and excellence of the immortal God were exchanged for and represented by images, resembling mortal man and birds and beasts and reptiles.24Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their [own] hearts to sexual impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves [abandoning them to the degrading power of sin] 25Because they exchanged the truth of God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, Who is blessed forever! Amen (so be it).(B)26For this reason God gave them over and abandoned them to vile affections and degrading passions. For their women exchanged their natural function for an unnatural and abnormal one,27And the men also turned from natural relations with women and were set ablaze (burning out, consumed) with lust for one another–men committing shameful acts with men and suffering in their own [b]bodies and personalities the inevitable consequences and penalty of their wrong-doing and going astray, which was [their] fitting retribution.28And so, since they did not see fit to acknowledge God or approve of Him or consider Him worth the knowing, God gave them over to a base and condemned mind to do things not proper or decent but loathsome,
    29Until they were filled (permeated and saturated) with every kind of unrighteousness, iniquity, grasping and covetous greed, and malice. [They were] full of envy and jealousy, murder, strife, deceit and treachery, ill will and cruel ways. [They were] secret backbiters and gossipers,30Slanderers, hateful to and hating God, full of insolence, arrogance, [and] boasting; inventors of new forms of evil, disobedient and undutiful to parents.31[They were] without understanding, conscienceless and faithless, heartless and loveless [and] merciless.32Though they are fully aware of God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve to die, they not only do them themselves but approve and applaud others who practice them.”

The first two, are accounts of those who “will not inherit the kingdom.” We see, among these things, words like “male prostitute” and “homosexual offender.” and similar terminology depending on the translation you use. Again, the culprit is the fact that the original language of the Scriptures was not English. The original language of the NT was Greek. The two Greek words that are translated “male prostitute” and “homosexual offender” are malakoi and arsekenoitai. Malakoi literally means soft or weak (usually morally so) and refers to a young call boy in a relationship of pederasty (old men using young boys for sexual favors). Arsekenoitai is derived from two words “male” and “bedder” but the exact nature of the wording is not clear in its original language. Scholars believe it, too, related to pederasty or some other form of sexual exploitation. Important to realize is that “homosexuality” wasn’t even a word or an understood concept back when the Scriptures were written. The concept that people had an innate attraction one way or another was not understood.

The passage in Romans 1talks about people giving up natural urges for unnatural, and men having sex with men, etc.
    When it comes to this passages, people often simply don’t read it as a whole. Anybody can pick a few verses from a story in the Bible and make it look like it is saying any number of things. In context of the complete story, though, we see things from a different view.

The account in Romans 1 is an account of the rituals of a pagan rite. What is being described here is, to be blunt, an orgy. The people engaging in this were worshiping false gods. Their belief was that the more sex they had the happier the gods would be, and would bless them accordingly. What often isn’t understood is that this wasn’t about men being in love with other men or women being in love with other women. It was about men and women having sex with (again forgive the bluntness) anything that moved, in an attempt to please their gods so that they would be blessed.
    When the Scripture talks about exchanging the natural for the unnatural, what it is saying is that people made sex about something other than love and attraction, which it is supposed to be about and what God created it to be about, and instead made it about worship of idols.

Hopefully this has helped some people to see things in a new light. Perhaps it can be a step toward, rather than trying to find seven passages that condemn gay people, paying attention to the thousands of other verses in Scripture about things like loving your neighbor, not judging, helping the poor and needy, etc.

• ChrisHitch says:

The Bronze Age men who wrote the Bible knew nothing about science, psychology, genetics, etc., as evidenced by reading their books.

The Bible claims the earth is flat and is the center of the universe. Epileptics were considered “demon possessed,” and victims of mental illness were stoned to death because they uttered “blasphemies.” Women in biblical times were treated like second-class humans or worse. The Bible is full of contradictions and inaccuracies.

We now know the world is not flat, and we know also that homosexuality is most certainly genetically determined. A child’s sexual orientation is established before the age of two.

Just as a heterosexual cannot change his affectional and sexual orientation, neither can a homosexual change his.

The Bible is a terribly flawed book that reflects tribal ignorance and superstition. There is much literary beauty in the Bible, but it really cannot be valued as a work of moral instruction.

• Guest says:

this commentary amused me greatly. Especially the part about heterosexual love being only one kind of love God created. Thanks for the laugh!

• Guest says:

I don’t believe in same-sex marriage,nor do I condone the church’s sign.I think we need to be very careful about adding our own interpretations to GOD’s word or find scripture to support our “own” theology. I believe GOD says what he meant, in Matthew 19:1-12, Jesus provides GOD’s blueprint for marriage. As a believer in Jesus Christ, I believe we should love everyone and not condemn!

How do you spin this one?

Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

There are many verses in the scriptures that command us to love, but in none of those verses does it command us to condone sin. And you can spin things the way you want to where the Bible is concerned, but the Bible does condemn homosexual practices. Does that mean we hate homosexual people? No. Does that mean we commit acts of violence against them? No. We are to love everybody no matter wha, as God does us. Does that mean we accept their sinful choices? No. Neither does God accept ours. He just loves us no matter what.

• GuestLee says:

Here is the problem when people try to understand the Bible intellectually. The Bible cannot be understood through our own intellect, but only through the leading of the Holy Spirit.

• OtherGuest says:

What about the QIA people?

Pastor, even you should know that God is the same God in the New Testament as He is in the Old Testament.

• leapmom says:

Wow-where do I begin?

The church posting the sign has a constitutional freedom to say anything they choose on their sign on their property. Anyone destroying their sign is a criminal.

Moving on—-Why in the world would UNCW think it was their responsibility to recommend gay friendly churches? Funny how separtion of church and state (which is a fallacy anyway) only applies to conservatives and christians. How would the diversity police like it if the university staff published a list of Christian friendly churches, businesses etc…?

The UNCW campus is a haven for all sorts of immorality and is downright hostile to traditional values. I guess they are pretty typical of all colleges these days. But, it is a little sad when your freshman comes home with a “goody bag” filled with condoms, and that is acceptable, while passing out crosses would be prohibited.

Why does our society always favor the vocal deviants and criticize the ones who follow the rules?

You condemn the Southern practices of accepting slavery as right because society said it was right. What is the difference in accepting homosexuality as right because society dictates that it should be?

“Those wrecked and damaged lives” were not wrecked and damaged by the advice you gave, but were wrecked and damaged because of the sin. And they would live “the life with more abundance Jesus promised in the Gospels” if they would accept Christ and turn from their sin.

You cited 1 Samuel 16:7 “But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.” A man’s height and the appearance of his face are not condemned as sin. Homosexuality is.

Galatians 3:28 “There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.” Again, the things listed are not condemned as sin.

I find it disturbing that a man who calls himself pastor would put more stock into what a science book says than to what the Bible says. Science says that we are here as a result of evolution. The Bible says that God created everything. Which one do you believe? Science says that it is okay to murder unborn children. The Bible says, “thou shalt not kill”. Which one do you believe?

There are many things that happen in the animal kingdom that is not acceptable in human behavior. Some animals eat their young, does that mean it’s okay for us to eat our young?

You condemn Christians for taking things out of context to suit our own purposes, but you have done the same. You cite Ezekiel 16:48 & 49, yet you leave out verse 50 which says, “And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good.” So it was clearly more than just “lack of hospitality and care for the needy, poor, and oppressed — as well as an arrogance”.

Although there are several more points I could dispute in the link you provided I do not have the time right now to do so. Maybe it is a discussion that can be continued at some time in the future.

• Office Fan says:

Simply put, UNCW needs to be making these types of lists available so that new students don’t end up at places like Seagate Church. Incoming freshman and transfer students have no idea where in town they are welcomed and where they are scorned and shunned. This resource helps they to keep away from churches where hateful people like you congregate and helps them find more accepting and welcoming places of worship.

And just to correct your wrong information, as a UNCW graduate I know for a fact the DO provide students with lists of churches of all faiths and denominations.

It is quite ironic that you call UNCW a haven for immorality and hostile towards traditional values. Have you ever driven past the UNCW Catholic Center on Racine Drive, or heard about the multitude of student organizations focused on Christianity, or been on Campus around Easter or Christmas when student Christian groups have tables set up and are freely passing out literature about Jesus and God? I am guessing you haven’t, otherwise you wouldn’t be making your ridiculous statements.

By the way, if mommy and daddy did a better job teaching their babies about the immorality of premarital sex their wouldn’t be any need for the university to provide students with free condoms to help prevent pregnancy and the spread of STDs…but I am guessing you don’t care about that and want to blame it all on your false belief in the “Immoral UNCW”.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

I want to utilize some of those Lesbian businesses, hoping to troll for a couple of women hovering in that “LBQ” range.

My first long-term girlfriend when I moved to Wilmington was bisexual…”SHARINGLY” bisexual, and the cardio workouts were astounding….

…of course, I was a lot younger then….but I’m now old enough to appreciate Rodney Dangerfield’s line: “I like to have sex with two women. That way, when I fall asleep, they have someone to talk to.”

• Beryl Yoshua Jernigan says:

For someone who is supposedly a “Christian,” Dr. Adams really needs to do a better job at researching before he spouts off. First off, his “Christianity” is actually more in line with the teachings of Saul of Tarsus than they are in line with the teachings of Yoshua ben Yosef of Nazareth. Secondly, he would want to go in-depth into the culture and history of the region in which the Torah and the other religious works which followed originated. He would want to do an in-depth study of Hebrew, Aramaic, Chaldean, and Greek, including not only formal Greek, but also koine, or common, Greek. Once he does so, if he does so with an open and loving heart, he will find that he has been wrong in so many ways.
    As for UNCW providing a list of affirming churches, I do not see that as an endorsement, nor do I see it as telling people where to worship. I see it as exactly what it is–providing a list of available resources for those who may want to know where they are located. This is the job of any reputable university, and if Dr. Adams does not approve of it, he can go and find another job. If Dr. Adams does not wish to find another job, he can take his proselytizing elsewhere, and leave it elsewhere when he goes to work. To be honest, I think the only thing he finds wrong with this list is the fact that his church is too bigoted and full of hate to be included on the list.

• Guest says:

Adams is advancing religion, not the LGBTQIA Office? Did you just actually make that accusation? And then you tell him to “get out” in the name of tolerance?

• EltonJohn says:

require their parishoners to use ample amounts of “product” in their hair, as well as frosted tips, to keep it looking fabulous! Do they put no other idols before Judy Garland?

• Challengetheworld says:

UNCW has a commitment and a dedication to it’s students. That means addressing all creeds, races, nationalities, religions, sexual orientations and many other walks of life. They have an obligation to create a save haven to those new to the greater campus areas.

Since before the tragic events of Columbine, it has always been tough to protect students from all types of harm. However, each day new challenges arise and the college does the best it can to provide comfort and safety during a time that can be difficult for some.

Posting this information is no different than listing local restaurants, attractions and other civic events the like. A community is many people of all types, including homosexuals.

Intolerance kills. You have freedom of religion but you also have freedom of acceptance. We all bleed red.

• Double edged sword says:

“Eventually, I believe that you all will kill each other off with your absurd paranoia.

So don’t spend a red cent in “gay” businesses, they don’t want your f@&$)( money anyway.”

In my previous post, I explained that I can’t spend any money with businesses that support that “lifestyle”. And I also condemned the vandalism at the church.

There were no rude, violent, sentiments expressed toward gays. Basically, everyone has the right to spend and patronize who they wish.

However, your statement if rife with hatred and vulgarities.

Congratulations.

Your an excellent example of “tolerance”.

• Taxpayer and UNCW Parent says:

The University, along with the rest of the UNC system and most of the rest of public college education in this country, needs to focus on teaching and research. College students are ADULTS who should not need the constant in-loco-parentis (emphasis on “loco”) nurturing.

If students, or anyone else, choose to freely associate in mutual support, fine. The University doesn’t need to spend staff time and resources in facilitating such actvities, of whatever ideology.

Getting rid of the unnecessary staff throughout the UNC system who facilitate these activities – as well as privatizing such functions as housing and dining – would make a major dent in the system’s budget shortfalls.

• Guest says:

Student services publish a list of Spanish speaking business and services in town, which includes Religious service as well as Local Organizations that are fairly exclusively for the African American community, what’s the difference?

• guest says:

this is a prime example of how people take text and try to use it to their advantage. Could it not be retorted this with the New testament where jesus said in Matthew 5:38-48 “I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also”? You people make me sick in how you twist scripture to support your argument.

Why are most of you full of it?
    2 Corinthians 11:13-15
    For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. 15 So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.

Twisting it to get what you want. You make me sick.