FIRST ON 3: Waterspout-turned-tornado hits Carolina Beach, NWS confirms EF-0

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 08/19/2011 - 12:03am
Updated: Fri, 08/19/2011 - 12:26pm

CAROLINA BEACH, NC (WWAY) — Shortly after 10 a.m. Thursday, a waterspout was reported offshore of Carolina Beach. The waterspout eventually moved onshore, officially becoming a tornado just south of the Marriott hotel. The storm destroyed a dune bridge structure and caused minor damage to a light pole. No reports of major injuries have been received.

National Weather Service assessment teams have concluded the tornado reached EF-0 intensity on the Enhanced Fujita Scale (corresponding to winds of 65 mph). Reports of additional waterspouts in Brunswick county did not yield any touchdowns.

The NWS says it is very rare for a waterspout to make landfall.

“Every summer we typically have three or four days during the year that we get waterspouts, but it’s maybe every five to 10 years one will actually move on shore and affect the people along the beaches,” NWS Warning Coordination Meteorologist Steve Pfaff said.

If you have pictures or video, post them on our Facebook page or send them to pictures@wwaytv3.com. You can see some of those images already on our Facebook page.

Waterspouts seen across the area; landfall seen at Carolina Beach

Carolina Beach Waterspout Courtesy: Annelies Gentile

Carolina Beach Waterspout Courtesy: Keegan Payne

Carolina Beach Waterspout Courtesy: Randall Smith

Carolina Beach Waterspout Courtesy: Ginger Kozlowski

Carolina Beach Waterspout Courtesy: Dane Wagget

Carolina Beach Waterspout Courtesy: Harold Kozlowski

Carolina Beach Waterspout Courtesy: John Bowers

• Guest says:

NO, YOU CAN’T STOP A TORNADO, BUT YOU CAN AT LEAST TRY TO GET TO A PROTECTED AREA, IF ONES AVAILABLE.8Gjh3

• Guest says:

yea go ahead and shut up, the CBPD actually run the ocean rescue program so pretty much theyre the lifeguards backup, and its their job to keep the beach safe, but obviously you know everything, so ill just keep quiet…

• Guest says:

NO. YOU CAN’T STOP A TORNADO, BUT YOU CAN TRY TO GET EVERY ONE OUT OF HARMS WAY, IF POSSABLE.

• Guest says:

police crew keeping people out of harms way? they gonna stop the tornado with their Godly powers?

righttttt…

How about video of a Carolina Beach tornado instead?

This tornado was in Carolina Beach, not Wilmington.

• Tim Kinder says:

I was there to but was unable to vidio it do to my daughter useing up all my CD in the camera. I did take some pictures though. Counld you sent me the video?
    Thanks,
    Tim

• Guest says:

I have video from 4 houses down of the waterspout hitting shore at approx. 10:30am if you are interested.

Penney

• Tim Buckley says:

Penney,

Send in any pictures/video you have of the storm to pictures@wwaytv3.com! Or our Facebook page at http://www.wwaytv3.com/wwaytv3 Thanks!

• Guest-of-the-day says:

we’d love to see the only wilmington tornado that has ever been reported AFik.

• Mark Merriman says:

I live at S Lake park BLVD and Hamlet. My family and I watch the tornado hit land. It came on shore right at the Hamlet Parking lot. Unfortunately I didn’t take footage as I have two kids and tool them in my car in the opposite direction. Very surreal moment.

• GuestLee says:

First you say that the tornado “battered” Carolina Beach; then you say there were no significant damage reports. Which one is it? What is your definition of “battered”?

Sounds like sensationalism at its finest.

sen·sa·tion·al·ism/senˈsāSHənlˌizəm/Noun: (esp. in journalism) The use of exciting or shocking stories or language at the expense of accuracy, in order to provoke public interest or excitement.

• Guestmee says:

Turn that frown upside down pal.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Stu-pid~

1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
    2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.
    3. tediously dull, especially due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
    4. annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.
    5. in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.

Here’s a solution, get your news elsewhere. Pretty simple huh? If you don’t like the product, find another. You sound like stupidity at its finest.

• Brian says:

I have to agree with the OP. I too am tired of the marginally accurate to completely inaccurate reporting (from ALL of the media outlets) in the name of sensationalism and ratings.

• Guest says:

I would also like to see if please….thanks