ONLY ON 3: Hurricane Expert George Elliott’s take on Irene Saturday Morning

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Sat, 08/27/2011 - 6:39am
Updated: Sat, 08/27/2011 - 7:29pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Irene looks to have landfall around 7:30 am Saturday just west of Cape Lookout, NC. The storm was a category one at the time, with maximum sustained winds of around 85 mph. The storm will continue to pull away from our area through the night, and be replaced by a hot and humid Sunday with a mix of sun and few clouds with light winds!

No other weather threats to worry about now. Be safe, take care, and see you every Thursday and Friday on our evening newscasts from 5:00 through 6:30 pm with my special features, “Explore With George.”

DO feel you are overreacting if you are freaking out going to the store…if you have some canned goods in the pantry, fill your bath tubs up with water…YOU’LL BE FINE! Freaking out in a panic going to the grocery store with all the other NUTZ isn’t going to help.

I am glad we have both George and Jerry here during this time of the year.. I have been plotting the storm and I see a west shift everytime the models are run. IE at 72 hrs (8-24) the NHC had it at 33.2N and 76.2W. now as of 11AM (48 hrs) it’s 33.3N and 77.1W.

Wilmington getting really close with this ..
    34.2N and 77.7W

everyone has to keep watching very carefully. All the hipe from weather channel is New England, but people of Wilmington really have to pay attention to this one.

• Guest says:

Question: With regards to listening to wway on the radio, is this still possible? If so, is it AM or FM and what is the frequency? Or, is the only option the NOAA issued “weather radios”?

• John says:

Statistics say we are due for a major storm. Get your stuff prepared today. Supplies will be gone on Thursday. Generators were flying off the racks this morning at lowes at 8am. They are well worth the piece of mind alone. A day or two without power is the pits. Also remember to fill your propane tanks for cooking on the grill.

• compound4 says:

What’s going on now????Weather channel says we are in possible line for Irene since she is now going NNW.

• Guest says:

WOW..nice to see you George,hope you are back for good.WE have miss you

• Debbie Dawson says:

George,It’s time, we need the down and dirty on this storm no sugar coating,and we know from your past history of hurricanes that you will give it to us straight.Thank you George for your hard work.Thanks Debbie

• Guest says:

HAHA, that’s funny! George is the greatest! So very glad he is back.

• Wilm26 says:

Wilmington is so lucky to have your reliable expertise available again. So glad you will be here to get us through Irene’s visit and the rest of the hurricane season. Welcome back!

• Dixon says:

I feel so relieved that George is on WWAY. There is no one else in this area that has his experience. When there is severe weather he is the only one I trust. Thanks!

• Debbie says:

George thank you for being here, you are the person we need around to keep everyone posted on the storm.How big is the storm,if it does vear to the east what can we expected in Wilmington as far as wind and rain.thank you again for being here.Debbie

• Pam says:

I have trust in George’s forecast. He really has been right on the money from the very beginning. I don’t believe he would steer us wrong. Forecasting isn’t always an exact science and can be a guessing game at times but I appreciate George for being honest and not sugarcoating anything.

I am very happy that George is back in our area. Keep up the good work George!

• Rachel says:

I’ve started my preparations, and the stores are going crazy. Lowes & Walmart were an absolute zoo today, people stocking up with water & food. If you wait too long…there wont be anything left, or you will be stuck in complete chaos in the stores last minute. These storms are very serious, and not to be taken lightly. Even if we don’t get hit, it’s worth being safe than sorry!!

• Guestcarol says:

I noticed there are alot of comments about this storm and some of them ar a bit sinacal. but my Grandmother always said it is better to be prepared fpr the worse and hope for the best! and through the years this statement has proven to be of good advise. The smart man built his house apon the rock ad the dumb one built his apon the sand and when the one big storm did come in the sand housewas wiped away and the one built on the rock was still standing! so, The thing is you can not out guess these storms and I would rather be prepared for the worst and be thankful for the fact I didn’t get blown off the map!!
    It is always best t be prepared!

• pb says:

We need more George.

• WX_Guy says:

When the wind blows and the rain falls, one likes to see and hear a practiced hand at the helm. We are very fortunate to have you George and we appreciate you sharing your vast experience and knowledge in such a pleasant and even keeled manner. With Jerry and Asha, I am confident that WWAY will have the very best local coverage of the storm on the air, serving the public in a most professional manner. WWAY has the Superbowl team of weather forecasting and coverage. In the likely event that cable goes down, will you be making your coverage available via simulcast on radio as well?

• Cyndi says:

I trust George Elliott more than anybody, and have for YEARS! I’m so thankful that the Wilmington viewing area has him around to keep us safe & prepared. Thank you George!!!! :-)

George, WWAY,

Could someone please find the old video from Hurricane Bonnie (I think) when George had his tie tied around his head?

• Guest says:

Irene is more than 800 miles in diameter and it is headed up the coast. I think it will make landfall just north of Virginia somewhere. The barometric pressure has dropped to 957 millibars and with water temps at 86 I believe this storm will build to category 4 status still even though they are calling for a cat.3 status so far. All of the conditions are right for this story to continue to build with a very well formed eyewall. Get ready Virginia because you’re going to get some serious wind and rain and if this storm continues to build the wave pushed in front of it is going to be one of the biggest ever seen in history.

• guest111 says:

I remember that!! Isn’t that when they sent him to the couch to rest???
    Hilarious!!!

The storm isnt going to be anywhere near us. We get worse weather in a severe thunderstorm then when Irene is going to come through. Shes going east by a long ways. I lived up in Jacksonville when Isabel and Ophelia were issues and even then it was a joke. Reality is I think the continuing to hype the storm around here is nothing but sensationalism. Why spend money on supplies you dont need and arent likely to need when money is tight already for many of us is a dis-service at best. But then again IM sure the stores love the panic the newsmedia is trying to force down peoples throats. Now if you lived up near OBX you might have something to worry about but last time I checked were all here in SE NC not in Dare, Hyde, Tyrell.

• Guest 4545 says:

George – thank you for your concise and easy to understand assessment of the impending storm. Too many of your counterparts i.e. Jim Cantore feel the need to hype the storm. Factual reporting is all your viewers ask for.
    You are truly a subject matter expert when it comes to hurricanes in southeastern North Carolina.

Call it a joke if you like…I prefer calling it “being safe rather than sorry”. Altough the technology has improved tremendously, no one can predict where this storm’s center will come in on land (if it does). Hurricane Hugo was predicted to come ashore between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach, and at the last minute, it came in just north of Charleston and went toward Charlotte. A lot of people were not prepared for the disasterous effects it had on them. So go figure!!!

• Anita says:

I am so happy George is back! I really trust him and appreciate the no-nonsense way he delivers the weather.
    I wouldn’t want to go through a tropical storm, much less a hurricane, without George!

• Guest says:

My weather queen mom will only listen to George. He has gotten her through many storms accurately. Right on George.

• Guesty1234 says:

As I said when George first came back home: I am glad you are back. You are respected and appreciated and you are an excellent meteorologist.

I am happy that Jerry is the Chief meterologist, he deserved the promotion long before he actually got it. He is excellent and I appreciate his knowledge and I trust his forecasts.

Having said that, I am very happy that you, George, are once again involved in meteorology. I appreciate your expert knowledge of weather. It is very comforting to have you back talking to us in such a straightforward manner about hurricanes.

I think the WWAY TV 3 viewers are very fortunate to have three of the best meteorologists ever on board : Jerry Jackson, George Elliott and Chris Phillips. There is room for you all there at WWAY and you all are much appreciated. I hope you ALL stay here at home in the Wilmington area and at WWAY TV 3 and continue to give us the best forecasts in the entire viewing area.

• Jer says:

So glad you’re back for Irene George!! I feel much more comfortable with your predictions.

• Gina says:

I wouldn’t want to go through a hurricane without you!
    I don’t tell a hurricane story without a nod or two toward you. “…then George Elliot said…”
    Your Biggest Fan :)

• Guest says:

Don’t you think it’s a little coincidental that there were no hurricanes this close while George was gone?

• p.lawson says:

i remember that too !
    so happy to see you back with us george !
    if george says ‘leave’! it’s time to leave!!

• Guest says:

Thank you, thank you for returning George to Wilmington. When it comes to Hurricanes, he is the only one I trust.

• truelocal says:

Folks,
    If you haven’t been thru a hurricane here, take heed at what George says. I’m glad to see George back forcasting this. It’s anyones guess where this storm might land, but being a local, I always take heed, and be prepared, so pay attention. These storms are nothing to laugh off. Get your prep kit together now, not Thurs after work or Friday.

• guest111 says:

Welcome home George! I am SO glad you are here to help during this time. I feel better about the info given out from you.

• Guest 4545 says:

Good to know that WWAY as a SME (Subject Matter Expert) working the storm. Do your thing George!

• AmyAGreen says:

I have missed George so much, so glad to have him back! George, I have trusted your interpretations of the models for so long and have missed your competence and knowledge. Thank you for coming back!

• Sadie Godfrey says:

I say it again George….Welcome home !!! Its times like this that I am especially glad you came home.

• Anthony O says:

so glad you will be here for us this weekend i remember watching you during Fran we had generator going watching the tube will wwaytv3 be on any radio stations when the storm hits so with batteries an radio we can here what is going on

• Nofog says:

Thanks for being back at what you do so well George! It’s so nice to have someone who actually knows what they are talking about to advise us when these monster storms are threatening. Welcome home. We missed you!

• Guest says:

I AGREE. SO WILL JERRY JACKSON

• Raeford Brown says:

Glad to see George is available. I know he will keep a cool head, and provide the necessary information without a lot of stereotypical hype.

• Wade griffis says:

I may have my sequence wrong. After all I am an old man, but I believe it went like this:

Bertha took down all the dead trees.

Fran took down many of the live trees.

Floyd tried to drown us.

The most frustrating thing is the aftermath. Everybody and his brother crank up their noisey generators. Sleep is impossible. Thinking is impossible! AND! every time- somebody stupidly cranks up their generator in the house or garage and either kills themselves with carbon monoxide or burns their house down.

• mrgood says:

I’m an old man too, George, but your recollections are accurate. XS7dWFactually and sequentially. Great to have you back. I can’t tell you how many times my wife and I have said “Wish George was here.” We enjoyed your entertaining presentation, but more so, regardless of what we wanted you to say (snow chances, hurricane tracks, etc), was your accuracy! If you wanted to know what was going to happen- listen to George. I hope all is well with your brother, your family and you. Welcome home.

• Guest says:

They don’t come any better than Jerry Jackson. We always look forward to his forecast.

• Guest says:

I am so happy that George is back! I normally watch WECT, so I was not aware that he was back – but I will be switching.

• PAM fISHER says:

me too!!!!

• Judy Zimmerman says:

Can’t imagine going through a hurricane without George’s expertise. He is consistently informative, reliable, and in depth. We are fortunate to have him return to our community. No wonder so many people are following him and switching from WECT to WWAY.

Funniest comment this weekend “it’s doing exactly what I thought it would do…” George Elliott….LOL…LOL…NO IT DIDN’T…you said at first it wasn’t going to hit us and head for GA and SC…listen people…meteorology is a BEST GUESS science….it’s FAR from exact..all they do is keep updating what they see…AS IT HAPPENS…the forecasting SUCKS!