57 Comments for this article

Tags: , , ,

CLARKTON, NC (WWAY) — Residents of Clarkton in Bladen County say they’re shocked after hearing horrifying stories about a nine-day-old baby being mauled to death by the family dog.

Investigators say a nine-day-old infant was killed Tuesday afternoon at a home in Clarkton. At this time, the sheriff’s office and district attorney will not say much, but investigators say five dogs were removed from the home and may have been involved in the baby’s death.

Betty Pate lives across the street from where the child died. She says she saw the baby’s mother’s reaction.

“When she came out, or when she heard the baby crying, and came out the door, the dogs had the baby,” Pate said.

She says the two dogs she saw the most were a pit bull and a rottweiler.

“You never saw them in the yard,” Pate said. “You never saw them out running around, so they must have been dogs that stayed in the house with them.”

We went by the Bladen County Animal Shelter where all five dogs from the home are being kept. We were told that we would not be able to get pictures of the animals because of the pending investigation.

We also attempted to speak with the family at the home, but we were told no comment, and then they began throwing rocks at us, so we left.

So far no charges have been filed in the case.

Comment on this Story

Leave a Reply

57 Comments on "Bladen County Sheriff & District Attorney not releasing many details on dog mauling baby death"

Notify of

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
2016 years 2 months ago

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2016 years 2 months ago

I agree with you 100%. I have two yorkies and a pit bull. The pit plays with my grandkids, goes for walks in the park and plays barbie with my granddaughter. We supervise her at all times, she is trained and well manored. With ANY dog, they should not be left alone with children for their own safety as well as the childs safety. There is a responsibility that comes with owning pets. People want to believe that the animal is human and they are not, they have animal instincts.

2016 years 2 months ago

I am so sick of people saying that breeds like Pits, Rotties, Shepards and ect. dogs are vicious killing dogs.

Dogs are not born killers just like humans are not born killers.

Its the pet owner 98% of the time that makes dogs what they are. And the other 2% are dogs from shelters or the streets that people get and they dont know the animals background.
For example you can get an adult animal from a shelter that was put there by a previous owner because the onwer could handle the dog because it was aggressive.
In cases… Read more »

2016 years 2 months ago

I agree with your statement until I read the last sentence. “I love and care for animals but they are not as precious and sacred as a human life”. My dogs (poodle and shipoo) are my life. I love them just as I love my kids. Saying that, I would NEVER leave my dogs around a child, just the fact that a dogs instinct is to bite to protect (no matter what breed). I am not saying my dogs would ever do that, I would never know because… I would never give them that opportunity.

Susan Cates
2016 years 2 months ago

I have to disagree on this one. I had a rottie for 4 years and that dog was the most loving animal. He was so faithful and good with my 4 year old son. This dog had seen MANY people in uniform,but mostly flight suits as we lived in a Airforce town. For no apparent reason a friend came to see us that the dog knew well and when he got out of the car our dog just snapped and jumped on him and litterally tore open the sleeve of his jacket and nearly took him down.… Read more »

Related News