NEW HANOVER COUNTY (WWAY) -- New Hanover County Commissioners met Tuesday night for their first formal meeting since last week's controversies involving Brian Berger.
Although Berger told WWAY Monday he was considering resigning, Tuesday that did not seem to be the case.
Berger stayed quiet the majority of the night, but other commissioners were relatively outspoken about the distraction that his personal life has become.
"Everyone including Brian understands that something has to change, but he's the only one that can make the changes," Commission Vice Chair Jason Thompson said. "I will be there to help him or offer advice or any type of help that he needs, but really he's the only one that can change himself and change the situation."
Other commissioners shared perspective with Berger as well.
"I told him, number one, he needs to do what's best for himself as well as for New Hanover County," New Hanover County Commission Chair Jonathan Barfield said. "Take a step back and examine and reexamine all that has happened over the past while and determine how effective he can be and will be in county government and is this a good fit for him right now? But that's a decision that Brian Berger has to make. It's not a decision the Board of Commissioners can make for him."
Commissioners agreed that they want the focus off Berger and on county issues.
One of those issues is debris left from Hurricane Irene. A decision was made to front the necessary money for the cleanup with 100 percent of that money being repaid by FEMA and state government. The cleanup could begin as early as the beginning of next week.