4 Comments for this article

Tags: , , ,

RALEIGH, NC (WTVD) — One of eight men accused of plotting terror in North Carolina may be behind what U.S. officials call a credible threat of a plan to bomb American cities on the tenth anniversary of Sept. 11.

Counterterrorism officials are chasing what they call a credible but unconfirmed tip that al-Qaida has plans to set off a car bomb in New York City or Washington, with bridges or tunnels as potential targets. It was the first word of a possible “active plot” timed to coincide with commemoration of the terror group’s attacks a decade ago.

The FBI and Homeland Security Department issued a joint intelligence bulletin Thursday night to law enforcement around the country urging them to maintain increased security and be on the lookout for suspicious activity.

Officials told ABC News Thursday the alleged terror plot was initiated by new al Qaeda chief Ayman al-Zawahiri, Osama bin Laden’s successor, who had pledged to avenge bin Laden’s death earlier this year at the hands of U.S. Navy SEALs.

“As we know from the intelligence gathered from the Osama bin Laden raid, al Qaeda has shown an interest in important dates and anniversaries, such as 9/11. In this instance, it’s accurate that there is specific, credible but unconfirmed threat information,” Department of Homeland Security spokesman Matthew Chandler said in a statement Thursday.

In addition to al-Zawahiri and a top lieutenant, the Wall Street Journal reported Friday that three other suspected al Qaeda leaders may be involved. They included 22-year-old Jude Kenan Mohammad.

Mohammad, a Fuquay-Varina High School dropout, was amongst a group of eight prosecutors say was organized by Daniel Patrick Boyd that allegedly plotted to support overseas terrorism. Boyd pleaded guilty in February to charges of conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists and conspiracy to murder, kidnap, maim and injure persons in a foreign country. One of Boyd’s son’s also agreed to a plea deal, while five others await trial.

For the rest of this story, visit http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8347682

Comment on this Story

Leave a Reply

4 Comments on "NC man tied to NYC/DC terror threat?"

2015 years 10 months ago

apply American made Louisville Hickory Baseball bat to side of skull forcefully. Rinse and repeat.

2015 years 10 months ago

Bury him up to his neck and let fire ants have dinner on his skull.

2015 years 10 months ago

It seems a bit too convenient that all the intelligence is specifically pointing to New York or Washington. It could be an intentionally leaked feint.

If they’re going to hit on a weekend, I’d also be keeping an eye open at every major sporting event across the country.

2015 years 10 months ago

real comforting to have gone to the same school as a terrorist


Related News