33 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , , ,

LELAND, NC (WWAY) — The Town of Leland agreed to settle with a Leland Police officer who was shot in the groin multiple times with training ammunition during an exercise.

The town’s insurance company will pay Sherry Lewis $18,750 and her attorney $6,250. Lewis also agrees to resign her position, and neither party will admit fault or liability.

We asked Town Manager Bill Farris if the officer that shot Lewis had been disciplined.

“I couldn’t tell you an answer to that,” Farris said. “I don’t know that anybody shot anybody.”

Then we asked if he denied the shooting happened.

“I’m not denying anything,” Farris said. Then he got up and left the interview.

We also asked Mayor Walter Futch about the incident, which happened in March. He said he hadn’t talked to Farris about it until yesterday and added that Hurricane Irene, which passed through our area in three weeks ago, had taken up most of his time lately.

When asked about Police Chief Tim Jayne punching another officer, Futch said he hadn’t talked to Farris about that issue. Futch said he’s not involved with hiring and firing, and that he left that up to Farris.

We asked Futch if he was Farris’s boss. He said he wasn’t, but finally admitted that the council actually was, but that he would need at least three votes to do anything about Farris.

“I’m out of touch. That’s exactly right,” Futch said. “I stay in my purview, which is policy making, and I let the town manager handle all the other stuff. I don’t think it’s appropriate for me to tell him what to do.”

We asked Chief Jayne for a comment as well. He told us he needed to step out and that he would be right back, but then got in his car and left.

Mayor Futch has agreed to join us for a live follow-up interview Friday during WWAY NewsChannel 3 at 5:30 p.m.

Comment on this Story

33 Comments on "Town of Leland settles with police officer shot in groin; Mayor says he is “out of touch”"

Guest00000
2015 years 9 months ago

Why is it that the comments that have been pro-leland police have been removed by WWAY? WWAY decides to sensationalize a story that HAS been resolved, and also allow people with problems with the Leland Police Department to have an open forum to bash anyone by name, rank, or position, without regard to the facts in the issue and anyone who has an opinion other that which will continue to drive this story, is deleted. Just another reason why WWAY is the Weekly World News of the local news industry.

ILM NATIVE
2015 years 9 months ago

you think there were any positive comments about Leland??? A turd is a turd..

SurfCityTom
2015 years 9 months ago

someone has better sources than I. There’s a follow up.

Have Wuzzardo down in Leland when that state agency conducts its review. Have him ask the tough questions of them and Farris.

Is Farris any relation to Ferris Bueller who was always taking days off?

Not at all surprised
2015 years 9 months ago

I would like to let Sherry know that there are so many people in Leland that appreciate all the things she has done in the past. What a hard working, genuinely good person! She ALWAYS busted her butt for the Department and for the Town. There are several teens that probably would not have even made it through high school if it were not for Sherry. Good for you Sherry… for finally speaking up ! I can remember when the officers treated you like crap 5 years ago…It didn’t start with Mr. Jayne…What was that last chiefs name?..You know, the one who looked like Charley Chann…ha What a jerk and a joke…and always did nothing about similar things that went on. You know, how do these things continually keep getting swept under the rug? I thought when they hired Jayne, he may change things some. I guess not. To all of you people that think Sherry has been waiting for an opportunity to file a suit and then retire with loads of money….get real…she loved her work… when they crapped on her several years back and while she worked with the teens at the high school..she loved it all. Too bad the LAPD jokers aren’t more like her.
To the guys that repeatedly shot Sherry….Do you have a Mother ? You know Sherry has a son. How would you like to hear that someone did your Mother that way? What goes around comes around…you did it to yourselves.
Town of Leland……wake up….there are so many things that happen at Town Hall and get covered up ..you would be amazed!

Guest879879
2015 years 9 months ago

I couldn’t agree more! Well said.