FIRST ON 3: Mother of baby mauled to death by dogs charged with involuntary manslaughter

Tags: , , , , , ,

Submitted: Sun, 09/18/2011 - 2:33pm
Updated: Mon, 09/19/2011 - 6:18pm By:

BLADEN COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — The mother of the nine-day-old baby who was mauled to death by dogs in Bladen County last month was arrested on Friday after being indicted on one count of involuntary manslaughter.

According to Bladen County Sheriff’s deputies, Chelsea Lynn Brigman was arrested around 5 p.m. on Friday and was released from Bladen County Jail a few hours later under a $50,000 bond.

The Sheriff’s Office confirms the 18-year-old Brigman, identified on the initial incident report as Chelsea Camerino, is the mother of nine-day-old Addyson Camerino, who died after at least one dog attacked her at a home in Clarkton August 30.

Animal Control seized five dogs from the home.

“Everyone there that was there and had the dogs around in the house, to me they’re all responsible,” said Sandra Guyton, a Clarkton resident. “Something should have been done before now, I mean how long has it been since the child was attacked? I don’t know it just seems something should have been done.”

Susan Butler, who also lives in Clarkton says the death of baby Addyson is not only a tragedy, the situation, she says could have been easily avoided.

“We don’t think about our animals because we love them so much and they’re a part of our family as being still animals,” said Butler. “We don’t think about electrical cords or about little things that could hurt children. We have a lot of preventable deaths and unfortunately this is one of those cases.”

Both district attorney Jon David and the Bladen County Sheriff say a more detailed statement about Addyson’s death will be released some time tomorrow. According to a deputy at the Bladen County Jail, Brigman is scheduled to be in court on October 4.

• cindy lewis says:

well , I dont see all of you talking now. The ones that want to talk all that heartless crap about chelsea. Now that she has been through a trial bringing back the horror that she already has to face everyday knowing her baby is gone. She is still devastaed as is the whole family over the loss of Abby. Thats right ABBY , this baby has name , although most on here talked about her like an object. She had a mother and father , two sets of grandparents, a uncle, cousins , a whole family that loved her very much. Chelsea went to trial for a week, she did not take any plea bargains offered to her because she wanted it known to everyone she did nothing to cause her baby to be hurt. She went through pure hell for the last year, and has the rest of her life to picture still to see in her mind and nightmares what happened to her little addy bug. She was not found guilty of doing anything wrong and this was ruled an accident. Just what it was , an accident and a nightmare to this family. You on here want to act like you care , well we loved her . She was our baby , and everyone of you who took time out of your day to get on here and judge and say awful things about a young mother when you knew nothing of what really happened on this day should be ashamed of your self. I see no one on here saying . Wow , so I was wrong about her and what really happened maby I should think about how sometimes the media does not always know or rightly say whats going on. Shame on you , who took the courts and Gods job into your own hands by wrongly makeing accusations about a young girl that only wanted to love and raise her only child,.

• cindy lewis says:

I meant to say ADDY. I was so upset when I was writing that I didnt even proof read it or look up to realize I was hitting the b instead of d. We called her Addybug.

• Great Grandma says:

Involuntary manslaughter? That’s it??? How about child endangerment for even having those dogs in the house with a baby? And child neglect for leaving the girl alone while she went to shower? And wrongful death for the child being killed because of the situation she created? So many things to charge this idiot with, but she really should be sterilized as she is definitely not mother material! You can’t change stupid!

• cindy lewis says:

first off hmmmm, i put my name on here unlike you for a reason. Is there a reason you did not. As far as calling someone names I was responding to a women that was already calling someone stupid and saying that a person should be sterilized, with out knowing the facts here. you said since I know everything, I will tell you what I do know. I know that my neice the mother this women was talking about, Is devasted and still in shock. I know that my sister, the childs grandmother, crys everyday, and talks about the babys little feet, and how she smelled ,and how her skin felt, and that she wants her grandchild more than anything shes ever wanted in her life. My family will never get over what happened to addy.I think I already stated that the child was left in the care of my neices father in law while she got in the shower, NOT LEFT ALONE. What happened then , we dont know yet, but I know it will come out before this is over. My family also wants to know why this man didnt protect the baby. He apparantly is not saying. It did very much upset me for this women to say someone should be sterilized when she, or I suspect you, being the same person has no idea what happened . Everyone has there opion yes, but people on here seem to forget that this is a baby that was very much loved . my neices family, My family , are good people. Not the same people showed on the news in clarkton. That is my neices inlaws, and have nothing to do with us, because we , excluding my neice, have never had, not have ever wanted anything to do with them. people should think about things before they judge others , especially with out knowing the facts.

• cindy lewis says:

the mother did not leave the child alone. she was the baby in the care of of her father inlaw, the babys grandfather. So glad you think you are god and can put judgement like that on someone. maby you should get the facts before you start opening your stupid mouth.

• Hmm... says:

If the mother did not leave the child alone then how were the dogs able to get, AND KILL, her child? I fear that you are the ignorant one here. And, since you obviously know everything, then please let me know why it is a man would not save his own grandchild from the dogs attacking her. You need to stop acting childish and calling others stupid just because they have an opinion or thought that differs from your own.

I think the first reports stated that there was a pitbull and rottweiler and 3 other dogs in the home.

• Well, isn't that something... says:

I want to know what breed of dog this was. If it were a pitbull it would have been paraded in the headlines, so I’m curious as to the breed.

• peon says:

Why don’t you just show up at the Sheriff’s Office Monday morning and be a part of the Circus frenzy.? Everyone else will be there!!

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion. There is such a thing called freedom of speech. But I don’t think anywhere in the constitution is there a place that says we can choose who is guilty, innocent, or otherwise viewed to be a bad parent.

So she left her baby on a kitchen counter thinking that the grandfather was going to watch the child while she took a shower.

So Grandfather thought the child was still in the mother’s care

this sounds like a mix-up in communication.

How on earth did the child end up on the kitchen floor face down?

Where was everybody when this child was screaming her head off?

Baby Daddy was allegely locked up 1 hr away from here (that’s Fayetteville)

I have so many more question but will not judge anybody because as the good book says Judge not least ye be judged.

Let the powers that be figure this out.

At least they holding somebody accountable. even if it was an accident.

I understand what you’re trying to say; however, I think when the safety of a child is concerned, the adults (especially the mother) need to clarify who will be watching the child. I also wouldn’t leave my child just sitting on a counter by itself when I walk away. I would take that child and place it in the arms of the responsible person to let them know I am passing the responsibility of this tiny person to them. That way, there’s no “miscommunication”.

The baby probably ended up on the floor face down because of the dogs pulling her off the counter.

This whole thing makes me feel physically ill. It’s a preventable death, and the mother (and possibly the other adults in the house that day) needs to be held accountable for the death of this precious life.

It’s not a disgusting question. On the contrary, it is a perfectly reasonable question. With the likes of Susan Smith, Andrea Yates and Casey Anthony, people are starting to believe that anything is possible. And as horrible as it sounds, I do believe that there are people who would kill their baby and try to cover it up. Now, I am not saying that is what happened here. I am just saying it’s possible and again, I do think that it is a good question.

• Hmm... says:

What is disgusting is how people try to make everyone feel bad for her. It might not be out of the ordinary for you, and obviously her, to leave newborn babies out alone by themselves, but common sense should kick in and tell you something about that situation just isn’t right. Sheree can ask any question and have any opinion she wants. So can you. What you need to realize is if she had of been the responsible mother she should have been, she still would have her baby girl.

• Gimme a break says:

You can’t be serious.

The county coroner said the baby was dead when they arrived.Cause of death was blunt force trauma.

• GuestPAT says:

To Sheree Harrell..never would I’ve thought about the baby being dead before the dogs had her…how gruesome..if that was the case. An excellent question though.

• cindy lewis says:

That is a very awful thing to say. I dont see any reason why you would say that this baby was given over to dogs. You are a very sick minded person.

• Sheree–that is just disgusting. This girl wanted her baby and was excited about her new baby. Don’t you think she already blames herself for what has happened??? She has to live with this for the rest of her life. A life she probably no longer wants to live…She is paying for her loss more than anyone will ever know. Now she has to deal with criminal charges on top of losing her little baby. I wish people would leave her alone and just let her mourn the loss of her baby. Accidents do happen and this is an unfortunate one for this young mother and her family–who wanted this baby and was excited about the baby’s arrival.

• Sheree Harrell says:

Can you determine if the baby was already dead when given over to the dogs?

• Savannah Little says:

How can you hold the mother of the baby responsible? She was in the SHOWER for crying out loud. Chelsea doesn’t deserve this. And it’s wrong for people to think she does. Nobody even thinks of a dog mauling a baby. Especially if they’ve had the dogs for a long time. I think every single person who thinks that Chelsea should be charged, is ignorant. You need to put yourself in the situation, before talking crap.

• Das Weibstück says:

She was responsible for the baby ! You never leave a baby unattended with dogs EVER ! When my child was a baby I put him in his stroller and rolled him into the bathroom while I bathed unless he was asleep in his crib away from animals with his door shut. This baby was left alone and the dogs had access to it. That is horrible !

She is charged because SHE WAS RESPONSIBLE for that babies safety. Period. If she couldn’t handle a baby she shouldn’t have had one ! She is obviously uneducated on animal behavior as well.

• SurfCityTom says:

now that everyone knows you are the Mother in disguise, let me ask a question or 2.

Have you ever seen a dog tear into a living being? Have you seen the dog swing its prey from side to side?

Even though the prey was only 9 days old, how do you think that baby felt as its life was seeping away?

And how could the Mother leave 5 dogs in the same room with the baby?

You are another one of those who prove it is better to remain silent and appear stupid then to speak and remove all doubt.

It looks like you join Frog Strickland as another front runner in the Forrest Gump “Stupid is as Stupid Does” contest for 2011.

• Hmm.. says:

We don’t have to put ourselves in the situation because there are people in the world who have common sense and who are also responsible enough to know NOT to leave a defenseless newborn unattended. The nurses at hospitals are required BY LAW to go over things like how to wash a baby, feed a baby, and not to ever leave a baby alone for anything. You aren’t even supposed to turn your back on a baby for one second. I’m sure she is suffering, but if I knew I was the cause of my child’s death I would feel terrible too.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

…that you don’t turn responsibility on and off like it’s a light switch. Being in the shower doesn’t give you a pass on protecting your child.

When my son was a baby, we didn’t even have pets, but I made sure he was in the shower area with me when I took a shower. I didn’t even leave him with my husband, just in case my husband would get distracted by a phone call or whatever. I never took ANY kind of risk with my baby, and I would have NEVER, EVER left my baby alone with 5 dogs.

Overprotective? Maybe. But my child is still alive and just turned 30 this month. Unfortunately, that’s not the case for this little one.

• A mommy to says:

This is a terrible thing that happened. I do think it was a accident or lapse of judgement on behalf of the mother and grandfather. I myself was a young mother, but when I went to shower I placed my son in a bouncy seat, car seat, or other safe place usally in the bathroom with me. I have always had big dogs. Common sense says you have to use caution when introducing a baby into a home with existing dogs. To those dogs a little baby may look like a play toy, or they can get jelous of the owner paying more attention to the baby than the dog. Reesponsible parents and dog owners dont let the two be alone together. That being said this was an accident and a tragedy. The family has to live with the death of this little baby on their concious forever. That is enough to pay for an accident.

• Guestrobin says:

I could not resist the opportunity to reply to you. I have shown dogs, breed dogs, raised dogs, trained dogs, and you say “who would even think about a dog mauling a child” I hope like hell you don’t have children and dogs. You ALWAYS are aware of your surroundings and a CHILDS!I think about it all the time when a dog runs down the road first thing I do is find out where my children are! They are 14 and 12 and play outside with many kids in our neighborhood, I look not only for mine but all the kids cross my mind. Your a sad person with no education.

• wilmywood says:

Let’s see, the mother is responsible because she left a baby unattended around the dogs. When my daughters were babies, when I took a shower they were in either their car seat or bouncer with me in the bathroom. The couple of times they were in their crib, their bedroom doors were closed. Why, you ask. Because I have 3 dogs, a mutt, a chihuahua and a rottie mix. And while I LOVE all 3 of my dogs; I know they are still dogs. My dogs are my other children, but to trust them around a 9 day old baby or any other baby or small child is just plain stupid. They have never snapped, growled, bitten or anything, but they are still ANIMALS. And no matter how domesticated an animal is, it’s still an animal. Anyone that does not understand that, well, is plain ignorant.

She should have never had any dog in the house with a newborn! Any dog is gonna be jealous if you are paying more attention to anything then it! The baby could have been crying and the dogs, yes dogs, felt threatened by this! Jeez in my book she is a SORRY MOTHER and did NOT deservea child if she ould not protect it! People need to put their children FIRST AND PUT THE DOGS OUTSIDE WHERE THEY BELONG!!!!

I think if a dog chomps down on a baby’s head, that’s considered a “head injury”, and if the dog also chomps down on the chest or stomach, it can lead to “internal injuries” (usually internal bleeding).

If I remember correctly, didn’t the autopsy state the child died of a head injury and internal injuries? You don’t die from internal injuries if you’re “mauled” by a dog. I think the media may be giving the wrong impression about what happened to this child and how the dog(s) were actually involved in her death. People need to be kind and remember that tragedy can strike anywhere.

It doesn’t take an instruction manual to know to keep animals away from your newborn baby. I’m not a perfect parent, but I have always been very meticulous about providing a safe environment for my children.

And there is nothing outrageous about this going to court. A nine day old baby is dead. This baby did not die of natural causes. I for one cannot see how this was not, at the very least, a case of negligence on the part of the person who was supposed to be watching and protecting this baby.

• Das Weibstück says:

That poor baby is dead ! It is NOT in the arms of Jesus, that sounds so ignorant to say.

• Hmm.. says:

You’re right, this is a tragedy and I’m certain no one meant for it to happen, but it doesn’t change that fact that it did happen. No one truly knows if the dogs were attacking the baby or if they were innocently playing with her. Either way, the baby suffered until her death. The mother should have known better than to leave her daughter unattended. She was aware of the fact that dogs resided in the home, and equally aware of how defenseless her daughter was. The public has a every right to know of this incident. If things happened differently and the dogs, instead, attacked a neighbor’s child, don’t you think the public should know? It not only proof of how dangerous pets can be to child (of any age), but also how dangerous neglect can be. I do not want the mother to die, and I’m sure she is suffering, but honestly, who wouldn’t be suffering if they were the cause of their child’s PREVENTABLE death? This precious child died because she was neglected, and she needs to pay for the actions she decided to make.

• Navaho1 says:

Manslaughter is everyone’s business!

• afriend says:

So interesting how this is everyone’s business. This is a tragedy, noone meant for it to happen, I think the only thing that will make everyone happy is to rid the world of all pets in any house that is occupied by a baby. I am so glad everyone is PERFECT as parents, when I had a baby an instruction manual did not come out with the children… Hopefully another tragedy can be prevented by someone with a child and pets around. This wonderful little child is in Jesus’ arms now, crying for her parents who are being persecuted for her death, by even “friends” of the family now. Noone is perfect except for Jesus. Addyson was very much loved and cared for by her mother, and this going to court is outrageous. So I hope all those blood thirsty people out there who are without any mistakes or sins in their lives are happy now. It wasn’t enough that they lost their child, niece, grandchild, they have to be ripped to shreds by the media and the law.

The point is that animals do not belong in the hosue with a newborn!!! She should have been a MOTHER and put HER CHILD FIRST!

If you don’t like the comments, the solution is plain and simple: DON’T READ THEM!!! Your problm is solved! Thanks and have a great day!

I don’t agree on the completely closed comments because I think it’s important that people can comment on any subject to gain a better understanding of it; however, I do agree with you that some of the comments are over-the-top cruel and heartless, and are more attacks than comments.

I would suggest WWAY monitor more closely and omit the personal attacks where posters call other posters names. I have seen a lot of these posts get completely out of control with no monitoring on WWAY’s part. I have also read personal attacks on families who just lost loved ones. That’s totally uncalled for, no matter what the deceased did. It’s hurtful to the family. WWAY, please be responsbile and stop displaying posts where there are personal attacks.

• Guest99x says:

WWAY:

I am writing to make a respectful request that you consider not allowing commentary on news items which involve the deaths of individuals. By all means, report the story but close comments.

Recently the commentary on the other local case of the highschool junior accused of the shooting death of another degenerated into the usual pattern of prejudicial race baiting. The public does, of course, have the right to know but the accused also has the right to be presumed innocent…

This current case has “inspired” a spate of stomach turning sick speculation that is truly beneath contempt. Speculation is all that it is.

• cindy lewis says:

You guest 20 no name have got to be the most self righteos know it all, I have ever heard in my life. I bet you are also very pretty. It seems to me that as wonderful and smart as you are you would have married a man you could trust to leave your child with while you ran an errand. That is what you said in an earlier post isnt it . that you would not even leave your child in the care of your husband. Im surprised you didnt use your name on here. If i was as smart as you I would sure want this forum and everyone everywhere to know who I was.

OK, you started out great and ended up sounding like a self-righteous, pompous moron. I’m entitled to give my opinion, just like you, even if no one agrees with it. This is a public forum, and I can voice my own opinions.

I don’t believe in my original post that I was passing judgment on the mother. I was simply observing that I, personally, would never have placed my infant in the situation of being alone with the grandfather. If you read that as judging, then so be it. That was not my intent.

However, after careful thought, I believe you are making excuses for the mother, and I believe that making excuses are nails used to build a house of failure.

Excuses are made to release someone from blame or criticism for a mistake or wrongdoing. They serve no useful purpose, other than attempting to make the person feel better, appear blameless, and appear as being unable to control or change circumstances that were out of their control.

The mother had everything in her control when she had possession of her infant. When she laid it on the table for the grandfather, she gave away that control, and everything after that was an excuse. Again, this is an observation, not a judgement. I suggest you look it up in the dictionery, as I did, and learn the difference.

You’re not helping the mother or her family and friends by continuing to make excuses for them just because it almost happened to you. You happened to come out lucky, the other mother did not. When my son was little, I always kept my doors and windows locked, and I had an alarm system installed BEFORE my baby was born. Again, an observation, not a judgment. Because I did that, my son was never placed in the same serious, life threatening situation that your son was placed in. That’s not saying you were a bad mother, only that you waited until something serious happened before you changed your situation. I changed my situation before something serious happened. No judgment, just observaton.

• Tess says:

Hi, I give you credit, because I, too, like to believe I never took risks with my son. Once he was born, I was “Daniel’s mom” not Tess any more. I’d go a month (it didn’t happen lol) without a shower if it meant that my baby was not being supervised by a responsible, trusted adult.

Every baby book, hospital “New Baby” check sheet, etc, lists things that are dangerous. Fluffy pillows (any pillow really)and blankets in the crib, leaving a car carrier on an elevated surface, leaving your child on a sofa. The list goes on and on! I did all those things, exactly right. My baby is 10 now, and I still live my life for him. But that doesn’t mean there haven’t been moments that could have ended tragically. I was folding laundry one day, while he was sleeping in his bedroom at 2 years old. Apparently, he woke up and went outside. I heard my neighbor (we miss you Bob!) yell DANIEL! I looked out the window, and he was in the front yard!! The next day I installed an alarm system, not to alert me to someone coming in, but my son going out. I also installed chain locks at 6 feet high on my doors. They looked atrocious, but, they kept him in :)

God only knows what would have happened that day if Bob hadn’t been outside tending his flowers. I’m sure if something had happened, I would have been demonized, and I am a wonderful mother. If this mother isn’t a terrible person (and there isn’t anything, at all in the news to say that she is) then we need to show some empathy. If there is more to the story (leaving the baby face down on the floor IS weird to me) then allow the jury to hear it, and make a decision.

Please quit passing judgement, and let this family grieve. I’m going to give her the benefit of the doubt (not that she or her family really cares about my opinion, they have a child to mourn.)

Not everyone is perfect, or a monster. There are those of us, in between, who do our very best, and it still doesn’t make it impossible for something bad to happen.

I suggest getting off your high horse.

• ILM NATIVE says:

on the head, as much as we disagree sometimes you are totally correct..good post.

• cindy lewis says:

the baby was not left alone. she was left in the car of her granfather. Have you by chance ever heard ( innocent until proven guilty, ) She was my great neice and very much wanted and loved. I see how devastated my family is everyday, and I know .

Can they prove the dogs did it? Blunt force trauma could have been done prior to the dogs having their snack…guess it was just easier to blame the dogs entirely.
    But
    You don’t leave a baby alone with any dog at all, no matter what the breed or how big or small the dog is. All dogs are dangerous with a baby.

Blunt force trauma could have been caused when the dogs dragged the baby off the counter and she hit the floor upside down. The autopsy should be able to narrow down the actual cause of death even more.

• webmistress32 says:

do you really know what lurks in the hearts of all people?

there is just as much reason to believe that she intentionally left that child out to be killed (level 0) as there is reason to believe that she loves her child with all of her heart and will follow up this tragic situation by killing herself to be with him (level 10).

the truth probably lies somewhere between these two extremes. but to say that you KNOW that she feels like an 8 on a scale of 10 cannot possibly be true. only she knows the truth.

• MommyOf2 says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

• Guest 51979 says:

I have dogs from the size of 4lbs. to the size of 80+ lbs….. Any time anyone approaches my dogs and they ask do they bite, my response is ALWAYS “They have teeth don’t they” You can never predict what a dog can do, you can always assume they will not.
    Any parent, or parenting book will tell you….. also common sense will….. if you have animals in the home and you bring home a newborn child. Be extra cautious…. A family pet can become jealous. I am not judging anyones character. Only the action of adults that were in the situation at the time.
    In my opinion, being a mother of 3,the infant should have never been “Still on the floor face down when medics arrived”, if thats where the infant was… Thats just crazy to even believe. If my sons get cut on the finger i still put them in my lap to see if its okay…..

• cindy lewis says:

I wish yall would read things more carefully instead of going on what people say on here. THE EMS DID NOT FIND THE BABY FACE DOWN ON THE FLOOR. It states the MOTHER ound the baby face down on the floor. she grabbed the baby and tryed to perform cpr on it. the baby was left in the care of the grandfather while she was in the shower.

• Guest who I am says:

That is what was reported. But before anyone jumps to conclusions, it’s not known if those 2 dogs initiated the attack or were even involved, and furthermore I have to applaud WWAY for not “parading” that detail around. Both of those breeds get a very bad rap as a result of negligent owners who mishandle/mistreat those breeds and who would do so to ANY breed for that matter. Addyson’s death is certainly a tragedy, and any of the dogs that may have been involved should be put down. But let’s not further the tragedy by blaming a breed.

• Artie says:

If it turns out that a pit bull was responsible, that would be the 28th out of 41 fatal dog attacks in the United States since 2010. That’s 68% of all fatal attacks, or TWO people killed by pit bulls for every person killed by EVERY OTHER TYPE OF DOG. When rottweilers are added into the mix it shoots up to 80%. And if you go back to 2005, 26 out of the 31 fatal attacks (84%, not counting the one case of a pack of 11 unspecified breeds) on adults between the ages of 9 and 49 (i.e. ones strong and healthy enough to survive a dachshund attack) were pit bulls and/or rotts.

So yeah, you’re right. On average, we can go 23 days at a time without someone being killed to death by a pit bull. Compared to things like cancer, or heart disease, or drunk driving, pit bulls are like taking vitamin C!

• howcome1234 says:

The report states that when police and EMS arrived at the home they found the baby face first in the kitchen, why was the baby face first in the kitchen. If I was this “Caring” mother my child would have been in my arms dead or alive. This looks as though she did not try to help the child or see that she was living.

• Guest who I am says:

That little detail alone does makes this whole situation very much suspect. If the mother found her child down and injured, WHY did she leave her right there? Any normal mother’s instinct would be to get her child off the floor at the minimum. The very BARE minimum! Another commenter here inquired if it was known if the child was injured before the dogs got to her. I wouldn’t be surprised if it came out that the child was a victim of abuse and the mother tried to cover her tracks. I’m not saying that is what happened… we don’t have the information to say one way or another. But as repugnant a scenario that may be, people have done worse. I’ve read elsewhere that the father was in jail when this happened. I’m curious to know now why he was in jail, and for how long before this went down.

• Another Mother with an opinion says:

Wilmywood, you nailed it.