Monkey Junction residents successfully fighting annexation

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 09/23/2011 - 10:31pm
Updated: Sun, 09/25/2011 - 1:52am By:

NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WWAY)–The New Hanover County Board of Elections needs 60% of homeowners in Monkey Junction to sign the petition against annexation if the town is going to avoid that action from the city of Wilmington. As of Thursday, the board has received 62%.

Although these results are still a couple months from being officially certified, it looks like the unincorporated area south of Wilmington has successfully combated annexation.

The Board of Elections has received 847 petitions of the nearly 1,400 sent out. That means the city of Wilmington will be out nearly 3,000 new residents on almost 1,000 acres of property.

City leaders are already reacting to the news.

“I’m very disappointed,” says Wilmington City Councilman Kevin O’Grady. “I’m disappointed that the folks in Monkey Junction haven’t seen the value that would be provided to them by being city residents.”

O’Grady says some of those values include the service of the Wilmington Police Department and trash collection.

“Obviously there was a lot of resistance to the annexation. I think it was an emotional rather than analytical opposition. I think if they had thought about which side the bread was buttered on, they’d of taken it,” O’Grady says.

Residents of Monkey Junction were excited about the new petition count.

“I think it’s very good news,” says Maria Honan. “You also have to realize that people living here are older people that have lived here all their life, they don’t want to be annexed into the city.”

“We have everything we need, absolutely, right here, without being annexed,” says Sheila Brothers.

Numbers won’t be official until late November.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

….but Wilmington is not the be-all and end-all of employment around here. MANY county residents work in the county or outside the county. Many people head North on 17 and work in Jacksonville. I work far more in Columbus, Bladen, and Sampson County than I do within the city of Wilmington.

You’re obviously another city resident wanting county residents to subsidize you. For anyone who wants to see how well that works, talk to the folks in New York who live outside New York City. When Norman Mailer was running for mayor in 1969 the campaign adopted the motto of “Mailer-Breslin and the 51st State.”

Their biggest support came from upstate New York, who wanted the city GONE.

You find the same situation in California, where the move to break the state into two or three states is being driven by the desire to get rid of Los Angeles and San Francisco.

For those of you who think that I’m providing extreme examples, unrelated to our local sitaution, I need reach no further than the recent, “Let’s increase their car registration fee to pay for our urban bus system” to give you evidence of an identical mindset.

The county residents need to recognize the enemy and their attempted take-over. The fight is coming.

No annexation. No consolidation. LEAVE US ALONE.

There is an old proverb that says, “If you lose your temper, you’ve lost the argument.” So true.

We get a hurricane…what….evert 5 or 10 years or so? So if I pay my lawncare guy an extra $20 to haul away storm debris, it’s no big deal. You, on the other hand, are stuck paying multi-thousands of dollars over those same years just for the “privilege” of living inside the city limits and not getting any more for your money than I get….and if all county residents stopped spending money inside the city limits, you would be forced to pay more taxes. Great thinking, Einstein!

Consolidation has been put on the ballot before and gets voted down every time.

• Brock says:

The Fire Departments have mostly integrated since the collapse of Myrtle Grove Fire Department last year. Good luck though convincing the county to give their employees the civil service that Wilmington enjoys.

Merging the law services is a joke. If I want a report taken to sit in some filing cabinet somewhere I’ll think about calling the Sheriff’s Department. If I want community policing and a level of competence I’ll call Wilmington PD. WPD at least has the gall to call things as they see it and not put up a puppet show for the public that elects their boss. Not sure how you would merge a police department into an elected office anyway. You’d basically have to shut down all the PD’s and allow the NHCSO to expand their services to the entire county. Good luck convincing anyone that is a good thing. Especially the beaches.

• ChefnSurf says:

Yet once again .. a person with strong feelings dilutes his position with anger. You say: “While you’re at it, why don’t you stay out of Wilmington. Get a job in Monkey Junction!”. What you realllly mean is: My taxes are soooo high I want you to pay for part of them. Oh yeah, the county took longer but that was only because they found a more effeicient way to handle the situation. If you don’t like your taxes, change your local government; don’t ask others to pay for your mistakes.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

“I think it was an emotional rather than analytical opposition. I think if they had thought about which side the bread was buttered on, they’d of taken it,” O’Grady says.

This is SOOOOO typical of the left. Insult their intelligence if they dare stand up to your tyranny. Exactly HOW is their bread buttered by Wilmington, Mister O’Grady?

I say, “Bully for the residents of Monkey Junction” for organizing quickly, efficiently, and telling Wilmington to drop dead. Being a part of Wilmington would have done absolutely nothing for these people, and would only have bilked them out of more money for you and your fellow council members to blow.

WARNING TO ALL COUNTY RESIDENTS: This defeat means that the fire will be turned up under the pot called “consolidation” and the Wilmington Liberal loons who are drunk on power will start the drive for merging the city and county again. Despite two previous rejections by the voters, they still don’t get it:

“No annexation. No consolidation. Laeve us alone.”

• taxpayer says:

you know how much money will be saved via consolidation! Look at how much was saved when the CFPUA was created…zip, nada, ix-nay! I cannot fathom how these elected officials can look at any taxpayer with a straight face and lie the way they do.

As the City annexed and expanded their boundaries, one would think there wouldn’t be a large a need for Sheriff’s deputies…since they less and less area to patrol. But now we find ourselves with more deputies than before.

• WX_Guy says:

Mr. O’Grady may truly believe that the people in the MJ area haven’t seen the value of becoming part of the shining City by the Sea. After all, the City would provide the services of Wilmington PD and trash pickup. But to paraphrase Humphrey Bogart in “Casablanca”,
    “For a price, Mr. O’Grady, for a price.”

Wilmington leaders clearly have failed to make a compelling argument, on the merits, to the people of the proposed annexation area. Of course, up until now, Wilmington could simply extend its “Iron Curtain” er, City Limits, virtually at will, so no tedious persuasions or costly merits were necessary. The “annexed” people would be “free” to enjoy all of the wonderful benefits that the dear City would bestow upon them. Any malcontents who objected to sharing their treasure for the good of all would be “re-educated” and forced to submit to the will of City.

However, free people long to be truly free. The people in this area did not choose to buy their property, nor live, within the City. Without benefit of the vaunted City, these people industriously built roads, houses, businesses, etc. and much to the ersatz surprise of City leaders, do not suffer from marauding packs of bandits, wallow in trash and raw sewage, or lanquish in utter despair, deprived of all that the dear City can offer.

Do not be surprised or chagrined, Mr. O’Grady and the rest of City Council. Those who heretofore had no vote or voice against being shackled to the City’s yoke have spoken clearly: Tear down this annexation wall! Or simply, thanks but no thanks.

• Guestish says:

How about all that storm debris? In the city, our crews were right on it. The County had to do a song and dance to get anything done.

REALLY Mr O’Grady? WHAT value…TRASH…REALLY…I get great value from A-1 Sanitation..THANKS, but NO thanks! WPD…WHO CARES! FD? I have a station less than 2 miles from my home.

The FACTS are Mr. O’Grady is that the city simple CANNOT offer ANY added value for the doubling of taxes that you would get. The ONLY thing I don’t have in the county is debris pick up….and that cost me 20 bucks at Wilmington Materials!

I simply DON’T think these idiots get it! You DON’T know whats best for us…

I live in the Gordon Road area…BRING IT ON! We’ll vote you down as well!

• Russell says:

I live in Brunswick county .I get free trash pick up low taxes and my water bill is about $15.00 dollars a month now if the city of Wilmington can do this let them annex. Other wise keep your stinking nose where it belong on your greedy face.Ya’ll are nothing but a bunch of money grubber.You go Monkey Junction you made the City of Wilmington or the CoW look like a bunch of Monkeys

• Russell says:

Yep that City of Wilmington or CoW mooo vs. The Monkey.Now we all know CoWs are fat and like to gobble up a lot but this time The MonKey was smarter and Quicker.So Mr. and Ms. CoW keep your nose where it belongs
    in the dirt and stay away from the Monkey because they smater.

• Guesto40 says:

I haven’t understood why MJ hasn’t made a serious effort to incorporate like other areas have done to stop annexation. Just saying.

• Better Idea says:

This county being as small as it is and as densely populated would benefit from a merged government. If the Politicians really cared about the people a merged services would make more sense..

Merge the Law Enforcement Services (So you don’t have to worry about the City having something they are investigating finding out its in another jurisdiction (3 miles outside the city limits and have to get another agency in the mix)…

Merge our public utilities…

Merge the Fire Services (cut costs of so many chiefs )

All around it would result in improved services for the people and at a reduced cost…

It is HIGHLY unlikely the powers that be would be willing to give up that sort of thing…

I recall the Sheriff (during the helicopter deal) saying “the county needs our own stuff” … meaning we need our own TOYS…

• really? says:

but merging the governments would be the best thing that could ever happen to this area.. I have been preaching that for years… I moved here from a Merged Government area.

We know you are just saying because you took the time to post. No need to say you are just saying.

“Merge our public utilities…” already done that and look where it has gotten us…NO MERGERS!!!!

FIRST of all…I didn’t need the counties help to take my storm debris…cost me 20 bucks and I didn’t mooch on taxpayer money!

Second…You DO realize…that Wilmington would go BROKE if only residents supported it….you DO realize that millions of dollars is dumped into the city from non-city residents….us non-city folk are what keeps businesses open!

Really…is that all you’ve got? I’ll just stay in the county with half the taxes!…and the SAME benefits…minus storm debris removal!

your a yankee…

• Guest_informed says:

Good job Monkey Junction! You’ve showed Bill Saffo and his goons that taxation without representation will NOT work. Annexation will not offer anything new that Monkey Junction didn’t already have before.

I live in Ogden, and I bet we’re next. Ogden residents, be prepared to get a 60% petition NOT to be annexed, or our taxes will double with ZERO benefit to us.

I’ve said it a thousand times, you can’t tax your way to success, and the democrats just don’t seem to understand that.

storm debris? why waste tax dollars to pay a company to pick them up, be it money from the federal government, state, or local municipality. in the county we can burn our trash, for free.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

….because no county resident in their right mind would wannt to merge. Just like annexation, it would give us no benefit whatsoever.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Merging city and county governments would do NOTHING to benefit county residents at all, and only benefit the city. The voters have already answered the question twice – “NO.”

Let’s go over this again. No annexation. No consolidation. LEAVE US ALONE!

• Friend says:

Yes, I see the benefit now. Storm debris removal that city residents pay for through their regular trash bill in addition to their city taxes is totally enough reason to choose to be annexed.

Your loss Monkey Junction.

I realize you think your post is witty and intelligent. It’s neither; however, I agree with your main point that Monkey Junction should not be forced to annex.

• Just one view says:

Your happy with fire services because your house has not caught fire. Unfortunately, the county got rid of their volunteers and are now trying to cover the county area with extremely limited manpower and recources. They do a good job….but they will even tell you they are WAY understaffed. This is why the City is having to send their trucks into the county to help the county fire services anytime they have a structure fire. In the last 3 months, the City has actually had more trucks and manpower on the scene of a fire in the county than the county has. So, you are getting some City services for ZERO! And unfortunately, this leaves the City residents at a disadvantage if something catches fire in the City area. The City residents tax dollars are being used to provide service to the county.

Secondly, the county residents are soon going to have to pay a tremendous mandatory fee to hook up to the sewer systems whereas if they had been annexed, it would be Zero.

My parents live in that area and I can assure Mr. O’Grady that my parents are much better off without the City of Wilmington. They have always had their trash picked up without problems and the Sheriff’s office has always been quick to respond if there ever has been an issue. There has been times when my father would be out of town and if he called the Sheriff’s department they would keep an extra eye out on the house to insure that my mother is okay. They get all of that without the additional taxes that they would have to pay the City of Wilmington.

• LL says:

Good job, Monkey J! As a resident, I’d like to say I’m completely happy with my sanitation services and service that the NHCSO and county fire departments provide. I’ll pass on additional city services and attempts to take my money. Keep up the good work!

• George bush says:

What is wrong with those people living at the monkey???

Higher taxes and your water and trash on one bill is awesome!

I live in wilmington and wish the monkey would annex me…..

• Big Cam says:

This story is the greatest news I have heard in a long time. I am thankful that my fellow neighbors and I have successfully fought the money grab that was forced annexation. The city from the start gave us no real reason why this would be better for us. It was obvious to anyone who looked at this annexation that it was nothing more than a money grab. The city has out spent it’s current tax base and needed to make up for their mistake. Thank you Mr. Goolsby and your counterparts for taking on the challenge of the current annexation laws and giving the affected citizens an option.

• Concerned Homeowner says:

I live in this area and never received a petition and don’t know where I would go to find one and send in. Any chance you could point me in the right direction? My family would love to get involved.

• greenie says:

Wilmington City Councilman Kevin O’Grady, what value is there in being annexed? Trash? Are you kidding? I use Trash-It-Now for FAR less than the city can provide.

WPD instead of County Sherriff? Are you kidding? The City is all about revenue. Tickets bring cash. How about address the violence and drug issues instead of traffic infractions.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for consolidation of all the redundancies. I feel bad for all my “City” friends that pay increased taxes for NOTHING.

I guess the message is the same as the one the Federal Govt is getting: work with the money you have (or downsize for the money you don’t have…) and stop thinking you can just extent the borders of your tyranny to refill your coffers.

Democracy is making a comeback. Way to go Monkey Junction!

• agree mostly says:

I agree mostly with what you have said….. As for the reduction of traffic enforcement I don’t know if that is needed…. Yes we need to focus on more crimes…

You do know the Sheriffs office has Deputies assigned to “Illegal Dumping” unit right?

I have seen some serious accidents in monkey junction resulting in death due to ignorant speeders… so I am not willing to say we should let off that at all..

• MJProud says:

Thank the Lord! It’s about time City Council took one on the chin from the “little People”. We have all of the services we need, provided by the county or private sources. Last time I looked, we had our own Fire Dept, multiple deputies, and a reliable trash service that isn’t very expensive.
    Why would I want to pay another $1200.00 per year just to be in the City?? I think the Council needs to quit smoking crack and get a reality check. They have already proven their corrupt ways with the convention center that continues to be a disaster. Stay away from Monkey Junction!

• Carol Kramer says:

I feel a sense of civic pride knowing that the folks in Monkey Junction not only didn’t give in, but WON!!! Congratulations to all of those who stood firmly against the City of Wilmington’s land grab! Keep those petitions coming in… 90% against might stop a future annexation effort.

• Ogden says:

Keep in mind the city won’t stop pursuing annexation as their #1 means of new revenues. They went way overboard on funding projects with the hope of future annexations throughout the county. So keep the fight up against unnecessary annexation by the city. Get ready Ogden because they coming for you next.

• taxpayer says:

Do not rest thinking the number of ballots submitted puts you over the required amount to keep from getting annexed. Keep canvassing door-to-door making sure all property owners have sent in their petitions. Help your neighbors make sure they know how many signatures are needed. If there is any way possible for the City to challenge a petition submitted…they will. The City will go to any length to insure they get you and your money.

For Councilman O’Grady: Name one benefit or service these residents will receive by being in the City that they currently do not currently receive. They have their choice for trash collection…in the City, they wouldn’t. Police and Fire protection are provided. I seriously doubt City cruisers would be any more visible than the Sheriff’s department already is. The only thing these residents would receive, if annexed, they don’t get now…is a higher tax bill…and for what!

• Cash Poor in Wilmington says:

Mr. O’Grady, I want you to list for me as a life long resident and as a 1999 annexed homewoner what “Value” I have received from the City. For my almost doubled taxes, regular tax increases and far reaching rules and regulations that take away my personal and property rights. I must also now depend on a City Police Dept. that is CERTAINLY no better than the Sheriff Dept.

I intentionally built my home in 1991 outside of the City. I had all the services as a county resident (Better, too) and their cost was much less than what I now pay the City of Wilmington. I am angered by the arrogance and “WHAT DO YOU WANT” attitude of City workers (true, not all) and officials who by the way “WORK FOR ME”.

We the People must take back our God given rights to our land and freedom of choice!! The City of Wilmington must stop now. Keep up the good work Monkey Junction!

And put in your address and it will let you know if you are in the potential annexation area.

you aren’t a property OWNER…you wouldn’t get a petition. Only the owner can sign the petition, not a renter.