Arrest made in May murder outside club

Tags: , , , , , ,

Submitted: Sun, 09/25/2011 - 1:57am
Updated: Mon, 09/26/2011 - 2:19pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — More than four months after a man was shot to death outside a Wilmington club, police have made an arrest for the crime. Garry Orlando Hines, 18, is charged with the first degree murder of Cornelius Tremayne Blanks, 20, of Burgaw.

Blanks was shot during an early-morning fight May 8 outside Club 609 on Market Street. He died later at the hospital. Another man, Robert Lee McGruder, III, 20, of Leland, was stabbed, but survived.

Wilmington Police investigators obtained a warrant for Hines’s arrest Friday. The US Marshals Violent Fugitive Task Force arrested him around 1 a.m. Saturday at the Carolinian Inn, which is just blocks from where the shooting happened back in the spring.

Police say the investigation of the incident at Club 609 remains open. Anyone with additional information is asked to call the Wilmington Police Department at (910) 343-3600. Information may be submitted anonymously through Text-A-Tip. Enter Tip708 and the information, and send to 274637 (CRIMES).

• Dominique Simpson says:

I would just do anything to have my cousin back ..

The “B” stands for what ol’ Big-Buck will refer to him as, when he begins his very lengthy, extended stay in the Greyrock Bed and Braffast!!!

• gramps1935 says:

You mean don’t know? Don’t feel bad, neither does he.

• just a question says:

Is that a “B” in the middle of his forehead and why?

• Grand Ole Party says:

It stands for “I beeees in deep *&^%!!”

The “B” stands for bonehead. Or maybe he is just a boob.

• Guesthkdha says:

B for Bloods or thats as far as he got in the alphabet?

• SurfCityTom says:

you did not ease my confusion. How could an 18 year old get by with som much? And did the Father lose a second son?

• SurfCityTom says:

But, the article indicated the person apprehended is 18. Why would he reside at a hotel if his family is in the area?

Is his brother the one who was written up a few weeks ago who had vanished and the mother came from out of state to assist in the search for him?

• john says:

Tom do you really think @ this point his parents have any control over the sitution…..this is not some random petty crimes this is murder and kidnapping….This stuff was out of the fathers hand along time ago….the article is mis-printed the missing child is 18 the one in custody is 19

IN ALL ACTUALITY NONE OF YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. THEY BOTH ARE 18 YEARS OLD FOR STARTERS. LIL GARRY HAS BEEN CHARGED NOT CONVICTED OF MURDERING ANYONE, HE IS PRESUMED INNOCENT UNTIL CONVICTED BY A COURT OF LAW. AS FOR AL’QUON YES HE IS MISSING BUT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SITUATION WITH HIS BROTHER. EVERYONE WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IF ANYONE DOES NOT KNOW THE FACTS JUST DO NOT REPLY AT ALL. HAVE A BLESSED DAY.

His brother is the missing person Alquan Flowers.

• atlbywayofwilmy says:

@Surfcitytom….The gentleman whom was apprehended, has a brother whom is currently missing. His absences(Alquan Hines) is due to his brother actions @ club 609, this is what some are saying. Knowing that the Carolinian Inn is a short stay hotel, The article never said that he took up residency there, its safe to assume tom that he was apprehended there perhaps through investigation; such as surveillance or perhaps a confidential informant. Anyone whom assumes the Hines family intended on raising there kids in hopes of one day there pictures being on this forum is out of touch with reality. Gary Hines jr. is 19, he legally has the right to drive, smoke, die in combat, purchase a weapon, use a weapon and serve time in prison as and adult. With all the options available to an adult he choose what he felt was best fit for him, if you think a parent has control over a child implicated in murders and gang activity then you need to re-evaluate your though process. This young man as far as we (those unaware of his education level or calculated facts of his formative years) know nothing about his rearing. An adult is an adult in the eyes of justice, his parents rather he was a juvenile or and adult will never have to answer to the actions of him as our jurisprudence is not set up this way, so the parents should not be on trial on media forums either…I am sure they did the best they could as it is assumed all parents do….

You’re finally admitting what everybody else already knew. (Sorry Tom,it was too tempting)

• dj says:

it kills me to sit hear and read some of post up here… Its crazy how fast someone is too judge somebody else , yall sit back nd talk bout all this gang ish nd how heartless so nd so is but if u dnt know what it feels like growing up in that enviorment then dnt say nothing at all everygangbanger is not heartless or a menace not everybody was born into a family wit a big front yard or driveway nd a happy family, all im saying is can we have enough respect for bth families by keeping any negative comments to ourselves

• TiredBlackMan says:

I’m black and I can’t comprehend what you just wrote. English please!!

• anne says:

First of all – learn how to spell. Don’t know if you are ignorant to trying to sound it, but it worked. Clean up your language – people who use those words have nothing fitting to say.

Don’t defend him – he is a gangbanger. That means he has no sense of right or wrong, has no regard for human life, and runs with hoods and thugs. Yea he went wrong and now he is locked up for murder. He made stupid choices and someone paid for it with his life.

Gang members are like rats – they need to be found in the holes they live in and eradicated. The law should be doing it, but it seems like the gangmembers are going to clean house themselves. The sad thing is that innocent people will get hurt or die in the process and that my friend, makes them murderers.

Now that we read that these 2 are related, it kind of explains things. Eye for an eye, I guess! I just feel sorry for the parents of not only the one killed, but the parents of these two thugs.

Your language is offensive, your spelling is atrocious, and anyone reading your post would think you’re brain damaged.

Nothing that you write using this kind of language (and ebonics) will ever be considered an opinon worth hearing, because it’s coming from someone who doesn’t have a handle on reality or anything not connected to the projects and gang activity (violence).

In order for the average person to understand and relate to your post, you need to show some kind of education and the ability to get your thoughts and opinions across to other people without looking like a total imbecile. I see no sign of education OR intelligence in your post.

“The life of an uneducated man is as useless as the tail of a dog, which neither covers its rear end nor protects it from the bites of insects.” – – Chanakya

• GuestK says:

I think I could translate French faster than translating this post:

First of all yall all sayn sumthang neg.but yall dnt kno sh**t,so best thang to do iz shut tha f*** up… yea we got love for lil garry but we not sayn wat he do is right but yall not gne sit up here an down talk my cuzn not knowing if he did it or not!!! An dats all folks.. my heart an prayers goes out to my cuzns tha Hines family…

But here goes my translation:

The posters on this story that are condemning my cousin for the murder of another human being do not know the facts of the case. Please keep your negative opinions of my gangster cousin to yourselves. He is my cousin, and even though our family does not condone this criminal behavior, we are giving him the benefit of the doubt. No one else should express their opinions of my cousin and his gangster, heartless, murderous, criminal behavior unless it is in his favor.

My prayers go out to your family as well.

And for those with reading comprehension deficit, or RCD, please note that my translation was cynical, so don’t start jumping on me because you can’t decipher irony in a sentance.

• Garry kuzn says:

• Nina_Simone says:

I went to high school with the Blanks’ brothers and Lord forgive me if I’m wrong for saying this but I am glad that they have a suspect in Pete’s murder. I remember getting the phone call later on the morning about what happened. I had three deaths in my family at the time … Two older relatives (died from natural causes) and a younger relative (murdered in the driveway by his neighbors) and I remember being deeply saddened by the news. I was actually supposed to go the party that night at Club 609 but luckily I didn’t go.

I honestly didnt think that they would ever get a suspect for the murder. I’ve heard people talk saying that the Hines’ brothers did it but I mean come on its Wilmington … No one talks! When Alquan went missing … one word popped into my head … “Karma” … I thought if that guy really did have something to do with Pete’s murder then maybe this is his Karma. I don’t know if I’m wrong for thinking that. But so many times in wilmington families lose loved one’s to violence and it hurts. I will never understand why people feel that they have the right to take someone elses life. I feel that the only time its justified is if its self defense. In this new day, everyone is trigger happy and in order to regain pride or maintain status taking a life is necessary. I honestly think the world is coming to end. There’s way too much violence and craziness taking place.

RIP Pete. If this Hines guy was involved then maybe the Blanks’ family will gain some closure. If he had nothing to do with it, then maybe the murderer will turn up in the near future. Prayers go out to both families.

• anne says:

Honey, I don’t know who you are and how old you are, but you need to go back to school to learn how to speak and write. Seriously, tooken? You have a son and you need to be able to take care of him. Get some education and perhaps you might want to look at who you hang with

• yung says:

My son father was tooken away from him and he was only 2 years old while actually turning 2. Now I knw 4 sure that Garry took his life of course aint nobodu gonna go to the cops n snitch but everybody called me n told me exactly who he was. And it wasnt over a crip n a blood thing bc Pete wws not in a gang a fight broke out at the club bc one of his so called friend was throwing crip s*** up and the blood gang was bout to jump him and as always he jumped in and they got mad because yes he could fight his hands was nice and after they put pete out the club Garry come around the building and shot him. Because he couldnt mess with him n fighting. And to my understanding Garry hand nothing to do with the fight. And for his lil brother thats missing I feel 4 him because at the end of the day that young boy had nothing to do with what happen to the lovr of my life. It was his brother. So whoever did take him or whatever the case may be should have left him alone and came for who did it. Still til this day Im still facing the fact that my son dad is gone and I cant even till my son where his dad is. All I can say is he is resting with god baby boy. And that s*** hurts. But God dont like ugly and justice will get served. Believe that. Prayers goes out to his family 4 his lil brother.

• kzpony says:

I didn’t understand one thing about that posting.

Check into getting one, it isn’t too late.

• S GORE says:

IT’S A SHAME WHEN KIDS THINK THEY CAN TAKE MATTERS INTO THEIR OWN HANDS OVER GIRLS,TERRITORY,DRUGS, GANG-BANGERS, BEING A THUG WHAT THEY THINK THEY SUPPOSE TO BE TO PROVE A POINT .BUT FOR SURE IN THIS DAY AND TIME IT’S ONLY 2 PLACES FOR THIS TYPE OF ACTIVITY JAIL OR THE GRAVE YARD. I CAN IMAGINE THIS BOY PARENTS TAUGHT HIM WELL, BUT WHEN YOU REFUSE TO LISTEN AND FEEL LIKE YOU KNOW IT ALL AND DO THESE TYPE OF TINGS (KILLING, STEALING. LIES) WHAT LEFT NOTHING BUT DESTRUCTION . ITS A LOST TO BOTH FAMILIES GARRY SR HAS 2 SONS LOST TO THIS WORLD / BLANKS HAS ONE AND FOR WHAT REASON BECAUSE MR HINES WANTED TO PROVE HE’S A TOUGH ASS.MAYBE IF YOU HAD TURNED YOURSELF IN YOUR BROTHER WOULD HAVE STILL BEEN HERE .YOU ARE A COWARD GET TOUGH WITH THE BLOOD SYMBOL ON YOUR HEAD ITS GONNA BE A MANY NITES YOU GONNA CRY.AND WISH FOR DEATH YOU GOING WITH THE REAL CRIMINALS NOW AT A YOUNG AGE .YOU WILL BE SOMEBODY MISS.HINES

• SurfCityTom says:

by your comment. You stated “…ITS A LOST TO BOTH FAMILIES GARRY SR HAS 2 SONS LOST TO THIS…”

Could you expand on this?

And then,could you explain how “…I CAN IMAGINE THIS BOY PARENTS TAUGHT HIM WELL, BUT WHEN YOU REFUSE TO LISTEN AND FEEL LIKE YOU KNOW IT ALL…” if the Father has lost 2 sons or this one son took life into his own hands?

And why was he residing at the Carolinian Inn? Had to be more than a one night stay if the authorities traced him to that location.

It seems like you are trying to justify his actions with your post. He was not in combat or walking a post. He was not defending anyone. There really is no excuse for his actions.

• SurfCityTom says:

to expect there will be no posts concerning the alleged shooter’s good qualities, helpfulness around the neighborhood, and willingness to help the aged?

But then he was staying at the Carolinian Inn. Was he there just for the week-end while his digs were being rehabbed?

When will the Mayor & City Council start to focus on these juevenile shootings? When will they declare a war, and put the City resources and Police to work, at ending these mindless and needless shootings?

A 20 year old is dead. From the original reports, he was gainfully employed in Pender County and happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

An 18 year old stands accussed. If convicted, he will face life in prison, at best; and that assumes he was 17 at the time of the shooting. As an adult, he could face the death penalty.

Is it not past time for the focus to be on stemming this waste of lives and not on some 1890 era incident?

No doubt, the cousins will begin posting protests over his innocence and others will post accusations of racism.

…Well Mr. Hines now has 2 of his sons in jail and one is missing. That says alot about what type of environment they were raised in.

• Gramps1935 says:

Maybe we can put the whole family in the same cell. It’s gonna cost alot to feed them over the next 10-15.

• SurfCityTom says:

in jail? I must have missed something. Who is the second son and what are the charges?

• Bubba's Girl says:

B stands for Bubba’s Girlfriend

I’ve never seen a Howard Stern reference worked into a story here.

• The B stands for BABABOOIE BABAOOIE

“I know that so many have come here spewing all sorts of crap about both these fine individuals being near saints in their communities.”

From all the posts I’ve read here, the only ones who think these guys are saints is other gangbangers and their families. Everyone else seems to realize what pieces of crap these hoods really are. They’re a waste of space and losers with a capital L. They’ll never amount to anything, and they’ll all die violent deaths.

• GoodRiddance says:

You guys really want to know what this guys good qualities are/were? REALLY? The “B” on his head stands for “BLOOD”, as in 1090 Bloods out of Wilmington. Good ol’ “Petey” from Burgaw was a CRIP. I know that so many have come here spewing all sorts of crap about both thes fine individuals being near saints in their communities. Nothing could be further from the truth. They were both hardcore bangers and that was what caused their deaths. Soemone said that this behavior can only lead to two places…”jail or the grave”. That is EXACTLY what motivates these pieces of crap. They have no care about who they may hurt while “bangin'” or who the drugs might kill that they peddle. They are all a bunch of scumbags that don’t deserve two good words said about them here or anywhere else. The paper is not racist for this kids arrest! They reported the facts you fool. You likely don’t even know what the meaning of the word racist is. Want some respect for these thugs? Get them to stop gang banging and get real jobs with real futures rather than terrorizing the community!

• Missing him says:

Plz tell me how u know Pete was a crip???

It’s not racist to report the facts. You have blinders on, and you wouldn’t believe the truth if it hit you in the face.

DIDN’T DO IT..your racists for even suggesting it! Racist NHC and WWAYTV3…

Glad they got one less thug off the street..Unfortunatley, all these scum have moved back to the downtown scene and it won’t be long befor there is another shooting downtown. Police had there hands full with a thug melee last night on Front st.

“Dis Beez a bad situation i done got into”

• SF45 says:

I mean wow…that young lady was expressing the fact that her childs father is here no more because selfish violent acts and all you can concentrate on??? Really?? What a dumba**. Just hope this doesn’t happen to you,assuming you know who your child’s father is. IJS