FIRST ON 3 UPDATE: Driver involved in wreck with ambulance dies

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 10/04/2011 - 3:56am
Updated: Tue, 10/04/2011 - 4:59pm

UPDATE: The Highway Patrol says Sarah Allen died Monday night from her injuries.

SHALLOTTE, NC (WWAY) — Brunswick County Emergency Services says two people were taken to the hospital after an ambulance ran a red light and hit a car at the intersection of US 17 and Main Street in Shallotte. It happened around 9 a.m.

Highway Patrol says the ambulance did not have its emergency response lights on and did not yield the right of way at the stoplight.

Rescue crews had to cut the driver of the car involved in the crash out of the vehicle. That driver was airlifted to New Hanover Regional, Brunswick County Emergency Services Director Anthony Marzano said.

Marzano said the ambulance crew from Amera-Tech was taking a non-emergency case to a hospital when it happened. The patient was taken by a Brunswick County ambulance to New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington.

Highway Patrol says the driver of the ambulance was cited for failure to stop at a red light.

• Rvp92 says:

The guy only got charged with failure to stop at a red light! Ive seen people whos Prius accelerator got stuck and hit a woman and her kids and HE GOT INVOLUNTARY MANSLAUGHTER! This isnt right. That was his screw up and he killed a girl. He should be delt with.

• Kaylin Zorich says:

for one, if you are a grown up then you should know that in a court of law if you do something wrong, even if it is a “mistake” you pay for what you did. i mean he did have a list of traffic violations he did run a red light, he did take an innocent girls life who had the right of way as he had a red light she was on the way to school and he should be able to walk away from this? HER FAMILY DESERVES JUSTICE AND NEEDS SOME KIND OF CLOSURE IN ORDER TO MAKE PEACE her brother is in prison, paying for the wrong he did she was going to college and the ameri tech driver needs to be charged her family will see to it and that will be that. regardless who likes it or not, he will pay for the life he took. who in their right mind would let someone with a list of traffic violations even drive an ambulance in the first place, she was a good girl, if it was his daughter, or your daughter, would you not want justice for something someone could have prevented had they not ran a red light and obeyed traffic laws? i knew her for years, find it ironic that an ambulance that saves peoples life killed n innocent one, and its supposed to be okay? wake up & look at the facts.
    RIP SARAH ALLEN, gone but NEVER forgotten.

• Shallotte says:

It’s Ameritech and why would you destroy a man’s live because he made a mistake. Oh and by the way it’s slaughter, not slotter and if your going to post, try to construct your sentence so that it’s actually readable.

Destroying a man’s life is not going to bring back this young woman.

• concerned paramedic says:

you people who are talking about the driver getting manslaughter make me sick. sure it was a tragedy and my heart goes out the the girl and the family, but seriously??? i mean you werent even there so how do you know the details of the accident? i wasnt there so i for one dont and if i dont i can safely bet you dont either. the point im making is we all make mistakes and im certain he didn’t do it on purpose. i really feel the for driver who did this because i can only imagine the thoughts going through his mind, especially with you bloodthirsty excuses for a human being. think before you speak!

• Tammi says:

So the world lost a great person just because the ambulance driver didnt pay attention and only gets a citation? really? i hope the family of Sarah sue because this is bullshit. she is a great person and had high hopes. its not fair. RIP Sarah…gone but NEVER FORGOTTEN.

• angel1 says:

I’ve taken the time to go through all the comments, and I just have to say this is sad that this happened, the article says the Ambulance was speeding, either way the red light was ignored, if they were handling a NON-emergent call. I DO NOT believe the ambulance did this on purpose, however, hes “mistake” cost a girl her life, and something does need to be done about this. I’m not saying what that should be, but something.

• Kayla I says:

Why should these people who were family and friends not talk about manslaughter? This guy has a driving recard and had no right driving for amera-tech, as for them I think they should be sued. They should check all the drivers records before letting ANY of them drive. Due to there actions we all lost a wonderful young lady that we all love and miss so much!! RIP Sarah Allen, gone but NEVER forgotten!!! Miss you baby girl

• julie says:

I would like to say you are right that no one is showing much concern for the paramedic. yes, it is tragic that this young lady lost her life and that does not need to be overlooked. at the same time though this man saves lives for a living…not takes them. imagine yourself in his position and how awful he feels for something that was a mistake. we all make mistakes, this does not mean that it comes without consequences. yes, unfortunatley sarah and her family suffered a lot of consequence but this man is suffering as well. who would really think that someone who saves lives for a profession would purposely act in a way to kill someone…it was an accident…as bad as it was it was still an accident. id also like to note that you could tell immediately when the armeritech driver got out of the vechilce how frantic he was. he still composed himself together but you could see through just his body language that he feels awful for what happened. there is no legal punishment that is going to be more harsh then this man having to live with the memory of what happened. please be kind people…we all make mistakes, unfortunatly this time it resulted in something tragic. my prayers go out to sarahs family and the ameritech and his family as well.

• Chris Kwasny says:

Sarah you were a great cousin. I grew up with you and Joseph. We’ve always been so close and now your gone. I’ve cried all day for you and now getting the news of how it actually happened has me so flustered. You have been through so much in life and just as you had the balls in your court you are cut short of your bright bright future. I am so sad. I cannot believe your gone. You were so close to making it to school which you just got your pail grant for. I just received the news of that yesterday from Bebe. I was so happy for you. Now I am so sad you never got to fulfill your dream. You will float on and prosper. But I just hope there will be more justice than just a slap on the wrist for these irresponsible people who cut your life short. You were such a great cousin. I love you so much. I am happy for you to be in a better place but sad I won’t be able to see you until I make it up there. You were such a good smart girl with such a bright future, you did not deserve to have that cut short for this inexcusable accident. I love you so much Sarah. I will stick by the family through this and will work to make my life better for you. I know you are gonna be there to guide us all to happiness. I love you so much my dear cousin. RIP <3

• Andrea says:

My heart is broken to hear today that my niece was killed in this accident in Shallot this am. She was driving when the ambulance ran the red light and hit her car. We love her so much. She will be terribly missed, and will always be in our hearts and thoughts. She is now with her Heavenly Father.

• Talon. says:

the ameratech driver should be charged with man slotter the is rediculouse she was agreat friend and now they put our fiends and her family though this.its sick they have to many complaints

• classmate Karen says:

In this very difficult time, it is so important not to lose focus of what a beautiful person inside and out that Sarah was. Placing blame upon someone else for this senseless tragedy will not bring her back to us. At times, it is so easy for us to do just this as we look for someone or something to blame not knowing that pointing fingers will not ease our pain. The person whom was driving that ambulance will answer someday to someone much greater than any of us. Until then and for now, lets all just please remember Sarah and the impact that she had on us.

• Teresa Bryant says:

My heart goes out to the family of Sarah. I just heard about this tragic accident. My son went to school with her brother. I feel bad for the ambulance driver, but he should be charged with this accident. I know for a fact that in the event of a non-emergency transport he was suppose to obey all traffic laws just like everyone else. Even if he was on a call; he was still suppose to approach the intersection with caution, not just blow through it like he was the only person on the road. Saving lives is important, but you can’t risk the lives of other people to save one person. This accident could have been avoided!!!

• GuestfromtheLou says:

Pot, meet Kettle. It’s life, not live.

The driver must face the consequences of his actions. A young woman is dead because of them, and she deserves justice.

• Mom says:

Please remember that Christianity is not a word, it’s a deed. Let’s be chrisitan toward the family and the driver.

• chrislyn says:

so sorry for your lost:(

• Yesterday says:

I hope that the outcome of this investigation will show that it was just a terrible accident. It’s a sad situation for the entire community of EMS.

• lisa says:

I’m sorry for ur loss..

• Cera says:

Wow. While I do agree with you, that grammar lesson was not only inappropriate, but also, if you’re going to attempt insulting someone’s grammar skills, you should at least know what you’re talking about before giving a poorly executed lesson. Being that inappropriate behavior is already in play, I might as well throw this out there.. I believe what you MEANT to say was, “It’s “Ameri-Tech”. Why would you destroy a man’s life because he made a mistake? Oh, by the way, it’s “slaughter” – not “slotter”. If you’re going to post, try to construct your sentence so that it’s actually readable. Destroying a man’s life is not going to bring back this young woman.” Now, let’s show some respect for this poor girl, her friends and family. Shall we?

• Sending thoughts and prayers.... says:

Sending my thoughts and prayers to everyone involved. I was working that day and go thru that intersection usually not too long after Ameri Tech does. My partner and I came thru not too long after the accident had happened. It was a terrible accident and my thoughts and prayers are with the young girl’s family and friends. Also as an EMT, My thoughts and prayers are also with the ambulance crew as well. I can’t even imagine what they are going through as well. I honestly believe this was just a terrible accident and we all wish it wouldnt have happened. I know some of the Ameri Tech crew members and they are all caring and responsible inividuals. Sometimes bad things just happen. Praying for everyone involved in this incident.

• junior f. says:

rip sarah you were a wonderful person may your legacy live on gone but not forgotten forever in our hearts

• sammie plew says:

So sorry this happend wish I could be there ill be home soon

I am quite sure Sarah’s family will go for the jugular, and hope they win. I would, too. Hope they find out exactly why the ambulance driver ran the red light. If is was something stupid like texting, I hope they put them under the jail. However, judging from how our new DA is handling the Leland Police scandal, a handslap, at most, might be all that happens.

• Guest1964 says:

So because it won’t bring her back, you’re saying this man should just be let off? That makes sense, and it could save us tons of money too by not throwing murderer’s in jail, because by your logic, it wont bring the victim back. Give me a break. The fact of the matter is this guy drives an ambulance and is supposed to be a professional and should be held to a higher standard. Yes it was an accident in as much as he didnt wake up saying he was gonna kill someone, but it’s still negligent, and he should be charged with more than just a misdemeaner.

• Laura Huffstetler says:

I love you and you will be missed by many. This is a terrible thing she was so young, she had her whole life ahead of her.

• interloper says:

As per the NC general statute (20‑141.4.a2-2), if the underlying crime is an infraction or minor misdemeanor like speeding or running a red light, the driver can be charged with misdemeanor death by vehicle (that is if the DA chooses to go pursue it). It would be interesting to see how many continuous hours the driver had been working before the incident and the results of a drug test on the driver. The driver may have just made a horrible mistake but someone should take a look into the company and see what else pops up. This isn’t the first member of the public who’s life has been taken by someone in an ameratech uniform.

• Cera says:

I’m unfamiliar with Amera-Tech, therefore, I spelled it incorrectly. Still, that would mean that with your poor lesson in grammar, you managed to correct something that didn’t need to be corrected in the first place. My point remains valid.

• jpitt64 says:

J.R. Pittman A young lady lost her life , this isn’t the time or place for many of you to be trolling spelling errors and corrupt government.

I didn’t have to be there…..an ambulance attendant was not paying attention to his driving for whatever reason, ran a red light, and killed a young woman. You seem to be playing this down for some reason. Bet you wouldn’t if it were your daughter that died. What part of this do you not understand?

• Guest 1313 says:

He totally ignored a RED light and killed someone’s child, how is this an accident??? He had the opportunity to STOP and didn’t. So he went through it on PURPOSE!! How would you feel if it was your child???? But judging by the name on your post, you’re just another paramedic that thinks he did no wrong. If it was my child I wouldn’t rest until he was charged with manslaughter!!!!!

• anne says:

I don’t know who you are or even if you are a paramedic, but your reasoning is totally off base. No I wasn’t there; I can only go by what I see on the news and what the police have charged him with. The fact is: he made a stupid decision and it cost a young lady her life. No excuses.

And by the way, I hope if you are a paramedic and you fill out forms and reports, you certainly spell better and write better than you did here. A totally ignorant rant!

• Jessica helton says:

Im so sorry for this.young ladys family and friends you all will be in my thoughts and prayers may god give you the strenght to help one another through this hard and trying time god bless

• jillian says:

sammiiee ! ): please call me 910 333 5845

sarah i miss you , wish we lived closer we would of hung out way more. im sorry i havent seen you in a while. but we will see each other again. all the memories i will never forget , i wont forget about you. you werree an amazing person .. rest in peace

• Laser says:

I personally know the driver of the ambulance, I don’t think he’s ever done drugs in his life and he steers clear of alcohol as well, it was just a terrible accident. As for the other incident concerning an ameritech employee that was a murder and it involved a psychotic break from what I understand and the person was not working at the time nor wearing a uniform. This isn’t a bash fest, it’s an accident where unfortunately a young woman lost her life, instead of taking the time to bash ameritech, pray for the woman who lost her life and her family!

I didn’t know Sarah, but this story bothers me. The driver killed someone because he ran a red light at 65 mph. Again, 65 mph, through an intersection, in a 55 zone, on a non-emergency call. I cannot imagine what Sarah’s parents are going through.
    Such carelessness and negligence by someone who should be an excellent driver isn’t excusable. How can they let this guy off for running his giant van through an intersection at 65 mph through a red light into this teenagers car? Nothing can bring her back and I’m sure this guy is tortured. But, looking at his priors, he doesn’t have much respect for traffic laws and doesn’t ever need to drive again.

• tony v says:

Im SURE the Amera-Tech Ambulance was SPEEDING they go up and down hwy 17 faster then the State police. I do wish they would start cracking down on them. Before they kill someone. There is no need to go that fast in A ambulance that is used as a taxi to transport people to A doctors office.

• julie says:

i saw the accident happen, i was first second car at the intersection. the ambulance was not speeding, they were going what appeared to be the speed limit however they did not have the right of way. it was awful to see the crash happen and i hope that everyone involved is ok. my kida are shaken having seen it happen so i cant imagine how the people involved in the wreck must be.

• Friend to both says:

Ameritech is a good company who works hard. The driver made a mistake, have you never made a mistake? This driver did not set out to harm someone, it was an accident. Let’s try to stay focused and not say hateful things that will make a driver who already feels horrible about what happen, feel even worse.

• anne says:

Hopefully no one was hurt seriously. This won’t be the first time and it certainly won’t be the last that something like this has happened. I have seen how some of them drive and most of it is inexcusable. Even in emergencies, they have to be aware of what is going on around them, and I have personally seen instances of totally wreckless driving and irresponsibllity. There are still laws that have to be obeyed even in such instances and emergency vehicles need to be more careful.

• J says:

My cousin lost her life in this accident.

• Melissa says:

This was my cousin who was killed today, 18 years old. Such a shame. I don’t really know what to think.

people underestimate how dangerous driving can really be.

• Brunswick county resident says:

I am so very sorry for your family. Please know that this is just a terrible accident.

• EMT-I says:

EMT-I With all due respect
    new
    Submitted by EMT-I on Mon, 10/03/2011 – 4:33pm.
    EMT-I

With all due respect Tony V. I have to clear a few things up for you.

1) All Ambulance’s in the state of N.C. have to obide by the Laws, concerning speeding.

2) ANY AMBULANCE TRANSPORT SERVICE IS EXACTLY THAT. NOT A TAXI SERVICE, AND I DO REPEAT NOT A TAXI SERVICE !!!! ALL AMBULANCE TRANSPORT SERVICES IN THE STATE OF N.C. HAVE 2 EMS PERSONNEL ON BOARD, MEANING EMT’S WHO HAVE A CERTIFICATION THAT IS REGULATED BY THE STATE OF N.C. So maybe you should call up some BIG Hospital in this GREAT STATE of ours ask for there discharge planner and see if they use “Ambulance Transport” or a taxi service to transport patient’s to Hospice, Nursing Facility, or even Hospital’s like UNC Duke, Baptist,. Not only do Ambulance Transport Services transport these kind of calls but they Transport Dialysis Patient’s to and from HEMODIALYSIS Center’s. Tony have you ever been in a hemodialysis center in N.C.? Maybe you should tour one, pt’s get there bood pumped out and pumped back in, ummm SO I GUESS THEY NEED A TAXI SERVICE????? SO TONY AMBULANCE TRANSPORTS DON’T JUST TRANSPORT “DR’S APPOINTMENT’S” WHICH BY THE WAY GOD FORBID ONE OF YOUR FAMILY MEMBER’S NEEDED DIALYSIS TREATMENT, HAS A BROKEN BONE(S), AND CAN’T BE TRANSPORTED IN AN AUTO OR VAN, B/C THEY MAY NEED TO BE MONITORED DUE TO THERE MEDICAL HISTORY. SO IN KEEPING TO THE FACTS TONY AMBULANCE TRANSPORTS INCLUDING YOUR “DR’S APPOINTMENTS” ARE NOT ONLY REGULATED BY THE STATE BUT THEY ARE REGULATED BY FEDERAL LAWS. MAYBE YOU SHOULD DO SOME MORE HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU POST.

but why drive unsafe and put others at risk if the person your transporting isn’t in a life or death situation/emergency . i understand that all ambulance rides are serious to some degree but the ambulance should have lights and sirens if it is an emergency . so that other cars have a chance to get out of the way,

Wow, For you to be part of the EMT, you sound extremely unprofessional. RIP Sarah.

exactly so what you just explained in your comment was EMTs are suppose to save lives NOT take them

• Anon says:

The driver didn’t make it. so yeah. There is no excuse at all especially when its a friend’s family.

you dont have to be so rude the way you said that i am sure that the driver of the ambulance did not do this on purpose.prayers go out to all those involved

to respond to your comment according to the updated comments this was a 18 year old female she did not make it the driver of the ambulance is torn all to pieces having a very hard time dealing with this as well as the other emt all my prayers go out to all those that was involved in this horrible accident

• julie says:

thank you for your response. as well i am sorry for your family and their suffering. i follow this story closely bc it has impacted my kids. my 3 year old son talks about it everyday that we get in the car. just want you to know that bc he is 3 he doesnt understand the riles of the road in regards to right of way etc. so i try to take the opportunity to reinforce how important it is for him to wear a seat belt. im not saying she was not wearing one but i am just trying to make it a learning experience for him. i know it was not her fault and i feel just awful for her and awful for the driver of the ambulance as well. i live right near the light and have to drive through it everyday and everytime that i do i saw a prayer for sarah, your family, the ambulance driver and his family. so sorry for your lose.

• j says:

My cousin lost her life in this accident and I am truly sorry your children had to witness it.

This does not surprise me at all! I was driving down 17 going towards Wilmington with my thirteen month old son in the car when an Ameritech ambulance swerved into my lane and made me run off the road. I was driving in the right lane and they were in the left. Traffic was coming to a stop in their lane and at the last second they swerved into my lane causing me to go off the side of the road or be hit by them. I blared my horn, not like they cared or even noticed that my son and I were run off the road on highway 17. I wouldn’t have been so upset if my son wasn’t in the car with me. My heart goes out to this family involved in this accident. Those IDIOTS need to get their licenses revoked and all need to take drivers ED again! They do not take emergency calls, therefore, do not need to drive like bats out of hell.

• Guest 007 says:

THIS IS INTERESTING. BEING A SINGLE MOTHER MYSELF IF ANYONE MADE ME SWERVE AND RUN OFF THE ROAD WITH MY DAUGHTER IN THE VEHICLE, I WOULD OF CALLED 911 AND PROBABLY FOLLOWED THEY DOWN. JUST FIND IT FUNNY HOW NEGITIVE YOU PEOPLE ARE. “IDIOTS” AMAZING YOU TALK LIKE YOU HAVE NEVER SWERVED OFF THE ROAD EXCEPT BY AN “AMBULANCE” BUT IF YOU HAVE MAYBE YOU NEED TO TAKE DRIVER’S ED AGAIN AND CALL YOURSELF AN “IDIOT”

• Brunswick County Resident says:

Ameritech is not nearly as bad for speeding, texting while driving and talking on the cell as Brunswick County EMS or for that matter the local law enforcement. This is a tragedy, but it was an accident and I am very sure that the Ameritech driver is devastated by this. They are hardworking people trying to make a living. God bless the driver and the young woman killed, so very sad for our community.

Agree 100%

• Grand Ole Party says:

How do you know Ameritech is not as bad? When was the last time the country caused an accident that killed someone? Brunswick county EMS and Law Enforcement work hard and are trying to make a living also stupid. Thanks for your two cents worth, next time keep it.

• shallotte guest says:

No one ever said that Brunswick EMS and LEO do not work hard, however that does not give them or anyone else the right to judge this accident. This is a horrible situation, for everyone involved. I never saw anything in the orginal post that indicated that EMS and LEO’s do not work hard, try to stay on subject. The ambulance driver was also trying to make a living. Calling others stupid show how truly dumb you are. Grow up and try to contribute something good to the situtation.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Perhaps you can take the time out of your busy day to read the post above mine. Maybe you can then figure out what I was referring to in my post. By the way I think you meant SHOWS not “show how truly dumb you are”. Please learn to proof read and then maybe you can contribute something good to the situtation.

• Guest 1313 says:

Red means stop EVERYWHERE!!!!! So what can be his excuse??? He had a NON EMERGENCY patient and was traveling fast enough to kill a young woman. How can you call that an accident??? It is was it is….negligence!!!!!

WELL SINCE YOU ARE WRITING IN ALL CAPS TO MAKE SOME SORT OF POINT OR SOMETHING I WILL TOO. I DID NOT CALL 911 BECAUSE I DID NOT HAVE THE DESCRIPTION OF THE DRIVER OR THE LICENSE PLATE NUMBER. WHAT WERE THEY GOING TO DO, GO TO THE AMERITECH HEADQUARTERS AND QUESTION EVERYONE OF THEIR WORKERS AND ASK WHO WAS DRIVING DOWN 17 AT THAT POINT IN TIME? I WAS SITTING ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD MAKING SURE MY SON WAS OKAY AND I WAS TOO SHAKY TO DRIVE RIGHT AWAY SO INSTEAD OF FOLLOWING THEM I TOOK THE SAFE ROUTE AND STAYED ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD UNTIL MY NERVES CALMED DOWN. YES THIS WAS THE ONLY TIME I HAVE BEEN SWERVED OFF THE SIDE OF THE ROAD AND THE IDIOTTTT SHOULD HAVE BEEN PAYING ATTENTION. HE ALMOST REAR ENDED THE CARS IN FRONT OF HIM BECAUSE HE WAS SPEEDING IN TRAFFIC BEFORE FLYING INTO MY LANE AND CAUSING ME TOO RUN OFF THE ROAD.