ONLY ON 3: Council candidate Fulton originally leaves election money to Brian Berger

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Sat, 10/08/2011 - 3:59am
Updated: Mon, 03/05/2012 - 5:09pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — They say politics makes strange bedfellows. A candidate for Wilmington City Council is finding that out the hard way after we’ve uncovered a campaign record that says if he died, he wanted to give his campaign money to a controversial county commissioner.

Among the many documents candidates have to fill out is the Candidate Designation of Committee Funds, which says where any leftover campaign money would go if they die. Some council candidates want their funds to go to non-profits or political parties. One candidate, though, originally designated his funds to New Hanover County Commissioner Brian Berger’s campaign.

Joshua Fulton is the youngest candidate for Wilmington City Council. He’s a fiscally-conservative graduate student at UNCW who says he re-designated his funds after Berger became the center of numerous controversies.

Fulton refused to talk on camera, but in a statement to WWAY said: “In February, I designated Brian Berger’s campaign as the beneficiary of any campaign funds I might have in the event of my death. At that time, like the more than 30,000 people who voted for him, I thought Brian was going to be a voice for limited government and fiscal responsibility. As a result of his personal and political actions, I thought it was best to disassociate myself with him. I wish Brian well and hope he can be a voice for fiscally responsible, limited government on the county commission.”

Fulton made Berger’s campaign his beneficiary in February. Between February and July, when Fulton changed the designation, Berger was arrested, was involved in a car accident with questions about his insurance, got into arguments with fellow commissioners and was late or did not show up to several meetings. It was also discovered that Berger, who claimed to own his own consulting business, was collecting unemployment.

After all of the public drama, Fulton said Berger was not who he thought he was. His funds would now go to the United Way.

Fellow council candidate Margaret Haynes also chose a charity: the Domestic Violence Shelter and Services.

Ronald Sparks wants his money split between Ephesus Junior Academy and the Red Cross.

Laura Padgett’s cash would go to the Making Waves Foundation of the Cape Fear Public Transportation Authority.

Two candidates, Frank Meares and Neil Anderson, decided to give money back to contributors.

Napier Fuller would give his funds to the New Hanover County Republican Party.

Candidates Ricky Meeks and Matthew Hinson have not filed a Candidate Designation of Committee Funds form, because their campaign coffers are below the $1,000 threshold.

• MeMyself,and I says:

This guy has alot of suprises up his sleeve. Please, without calling us “Haters”, Mr Fulton, explain your affliation with Brian Berger, and your alledged views against Christianity.

• FOOL ME says:

Fool me once, SHAME ON YOU….Fool me twice, SHAME ON ME. Let’s make sure we know who we are voting for…these guys are making a mockery of the process.

• nd1 says:

Check this site out!!!! Be sure you check it out carefully, it is worth the time, I found it very interesting to say the least…….

• Guest2012 says:

Running for Political Office in the Bible belt.
    I would die laughing if we didn’t elect a Socialist to the Presidency in 2008.
    I know we are not going to go to the polls without VETTING the candidates to the nth degree in both our local and national elections ffrom now on.

Everyone should check out the site above.

• guest3134 says:

So what! Do we know what department he was auditing, since insurance companies have auditors in most of their departments. Painting with a rather large brush, wouldn’t you say? I’ve only listened to Josh on the radio, looked at his website, and have no idea if I’d vote for him or not…at this point.

But the website specifically built to smear Josh gives me reason to believe Saffo, Louise McColl and her thugs are behind it.

Quite to the contrary-Josh and brian stand up for others. perfect there not but when we look at the self dealers like catlin and barffield they look mighty good

• Guestwit says:

It is a sad commentary that the old guard in wilmington is on another smear and destroy campaign. They are very desparate so they create site full of untruths- rather than have voters focus on the pathetic records of Padgett and Fuller(a real lightweight realtor)-let alone Sparks and his questionable conduct. Old guard folks like McColl would like more of same– avoid transparency, tax and spend–let’s fund an arts council and ball team with public money. WE KNOW BETTER- reject the smears–Vote for Josh.Say NO to Louise McColl, King Saffo and the rest of the old guard who will do or say anything to maintain power. Let’s follow the money for the past 10 years and then the smears will be exposed for the nonsense they are.

• truthseeker says:

When it comes to “real” what we don’t need are these three misfits–just more of the same miserable crowd that has done things to help entrenched interests and themselves– say no to these three and say no to annexation, spending and more of the same nonsense that Wilmington shouldn’t tolerate.There good at spending our money- we can do better with Fulton!

• wilmastute says:

The comment above is so right– a website designed to smear a young man–has all the smell of the old guard crowd.We have seen this garbage before and we will again. Why? McColl, Saffo and a tight group of old line dems and reps want to keep control of wilmington for themselves, developers and –and their buddies. This from the same crowd that gave you lavish spending on the Gravely, higher sales and property taxes, and wants to build a “golden” bridge and use our money to fund arts councils and ball teams –we should reject the smears. What they fear most from any independent is their loss of secrecy and special deals. Transparency and an end to annexation and wasted tax increases only came about when we throw these losers out. They represent the worst in ourselves- they can attack anyone they wish- but they can’t cause us to lose sight of their years of self help.

• Guest99x says:

Before this article I was considering voting for Fulton. Now, I will, most certainly be voting for him.

• BobaFett says:

Josh Fulton is no true conservative…. I don’t think he is even a Libertarian. I wonder if Josh Fulton even knows yet what he is. Since he seems to shift with the winds or maybe it is just from getting over puberty?
    Brian Berger destroyed the Conservative movement since he was not seriously vetted. Everyone rallied behind him for he seemed to be on the right path. Now we see that he had no concept of what a true conservative is supposed to be. You cannot just talk the talk..you have to walk the walk. Josh Fulton looks to be another Berger or maybe even worse.

• Guest2012 says:

While we made terrible choices on County and City elections in the past, none has been so grave as the mistake we as Americans made when we voted for obama in 2008, as most logical thinking people understand.
    I hope that we think before we vote this time by knowing who these “fakers” are, by doing a background check. Know who is endorsing them!

I don’t want any marionettes appropriating our money, and I see this fulton kid as a smart-mouthed little punk who arrived on the scene, thinks of Wilmington as Mayberry, and picked our City workers to pigeonhole into overpaid govt workers.
    WHY would we vote a “new arrival“ into CityCouncil who obviously has no appreciation of the talent that it takes to run a city, with excellent city staff, who I am proud of … each time I encounter a police professional, a firefighting professional, a trash (CDL DRIVER) professional.

This fulton kid, (a newcomer, from out of town), should be aligning himself with a job, which he obviously can’t get, so he enrolls in graduate studies, and decides to run for dufos of the year, but Jason’s job wasn’t opened yet, so he applied for a slot on city council.

City workers, spouses and your adult kids, don’t stand for this jerk who doesn’t see city staff as viable hard workers…speak up, turn out on election day, and vote for a Man or a woman who appreciates that you all have not had a raise in THREE years, but come to work everyday and make your City proud.
    Let me be the one to say, “Thank-you”, you keep our city clean, safe, beautiful. You are worth every bit of your hard earned paychecks.”

• Stop the insanity says:

Let’s not make the same mistake we made in the County. It is very important that we choose mature, stable, and independent thinkers…these “boys” are not Republicans, they are Libertarian radicals who care about the spotlight for whatever egomaniacal reasons. Give me a smart gray headed gal or two this time around.

• Erlkoenig says:

This article makes the point that Josh can reevaluate a situation and change course if need be. Unlike Taxo saffo and the Spendocrats. They just try to full citizens into thinking they are something they are not every election cycle.

I’ve met Josh many times. He is polite, extremely informed and does his research. If Wilingtonians want a money sink hole of a golf course, higher property tax, and pointless, business-killing regulation then stick with what you have.

• BillyJean says:

If you read Fulton’s web page, Facebook page, and writings he is Brian Berger’s twin brother. Surely there is a sour grape stuck in his throat given his rants about Wilmington City Employees. Might I add that his information is flawed greatly.

• Guest99x says:

All Fulton’s web-page intimates is a calculation that city employees earn on average 61 thousand dollars a year along with a generous benefits package… If his information is so “flawed greatly”, here’s the opportunity to present proof of your assertion.

How is this for proof Im city employee and my salary is no where near 61 per yr, more like 40,200 and I have given the city over 10yrs of hard work. We city employees have not had a raise in over 3 yrs and as for his benefits, well lets see 2 yrs ago my health insurance for me,my spouse, and one child went from 200 per month to over 400 per month and thats money out of my pocket remember we havent had a raise in over 3 yrs. I know city employees who have worked for the city more then 25 yrs and still dont make 61 per yr. Hope that is proof enough for you.

I’ve worked for the city for over 15 years, and make nowhere near that salary, even including benefits. The city keeps taking away from employees and expect them to work harder with less. During the last 3 years, no salary increase, but job responsibilities have gone WAY up. Everything has gone up except our salaries. I know some folks who have been working for the city for quite a while, but they barely make minimum wage. City council doesn’t give a sh*t about city employees. All they care about is getting their travel allowances increased.

And sorry to break it to you, but I’ve been working for the city a long time and I’m nowhere near $61K, even including benefits. He needs to talk with the sanitation workers who barely make minimum wage and are able to draw food stamps because their salaries are so low. Or the poor secretaries who only make half that salary, including the benefits, and are the sole support of their families.

It’s all BS. Council can find money for whatever agenda THEY may have, but they never take care of their employees. Then they go and switch to a new health plan 2 years ago that’s 3 times more expensive for the employee than the last one, and no salary increase. This particular council has failed city employees time and time again. But hey, as long as they get their cell phone allowances and travel increases, who cares, right?

This is example of what kind of misleading info this guy is spreading – no better than any other politician. Called the city – salary average for city employees is actually about $43,000 if you count even the top-paid people. He’s misleeding because he’s including benefits in that – everybody who’s a full-time employee gets benefits like insurance but they don’t say that’s what they earn because it’s not take-home pay. But he doesn’t tell you that, he makes it sounde like thats the salary. City said health insurance for workers went up 22% last year and more the year before that. Don’t know if this guy is confused or deliberately misleading, but it sure sounds like misleading.

on the red light cameras page, he noted that nationally, red light cameras cause a 27% increase in rear end collisions. As of a few years ago, Wilmington actually bucked that trend. Even if we hadn’t, I’ve been rear ended three times at non-red light camera intersections and it sucked. But it didn’t suck nearly as badly as being t-boned. I used to know someone who was t-boned – emphasis on the used to know portion. WECT recently ran a story indicating that the cameras caught 18,000 red light runners at only 13 intersections last fiscal year. The WECT story also showed video of crashes and close calls. One person who was the victim of a red light runner said that the driver who hit him, along with two witness, told the police that the victim ran the red light. Without those cameras, the victim would have been falsely blamed for his own misfortune. Those cameras are worth every penny. I remember driving here before those cameras were installed and it was much, much worse. At College and Oleander, red only meant “Hurry! Ten more can make it!” As the population of Wilmington surged, by the mid-90s, it was frightening to be the first car to pull out of a green light.

On his zoning page, he said he’d cut the city’s development regulations by about half. Tell that to all of those folks who were passionately arguing how weak the county’s development regulations have been at the recent commissioners meeting. A rather vocal crowd was there to encourage the commissioners to strengthen their weak regulations. It seems a number of those folks were city residents so that might not go over in their eyes for a new councilman to weaken zoning regulations. I believe he is correct in that overly strict zoning can cause sprawl but let’s not throw the baby out with the bath water.

I registered to vote at age 18 and never miss an election. Ricky Meeks is the only candidate for whom I’d even consider voting this election year. Kudos to Joshua Fulton for desiring to be involved in his local government at an age when most people can barely name their mayor but he’s not the candidate for me.

From Fulton’s webpage:

“Would you like to make $61k a year? If you would, you should consider working for the city, because that is what the average city employee makes with salary AND BENEFITS.” (Emphasis mine)

Sorry to break it to you, but he clearly mentions that the $61k includes salary AND benefits right there. He never says it’s just salary.

• Brian says:

” At College and Oleander, red only meant “Hurry! Ten more can make it!” ”

Exactly. Green lights are generally not green long enough in Wilmington, causing driver frustration and forcing this mentality. I sit through two light cycles on my way home from work at College and Gordon – each green lets a maximum of 8 cars through at a time. I was the 10th in line, with nobody behind me. Seriously?

Fulton and Berger are solid republicans. Better these young men than the self serving arrogance of the Padgetts and Catlins. They may have faults but at least they aren’t the ” ruling” Wilmington elite who with their buddy caster have milked our community for their benefit and not ours.

“solid republicans” don’t jump in and out of their party registrations to suit their needs as Brian has done.
    And, knocking Catlin? Are you serious? He’s bee the most earnest and knowledgable conservative officeholder this community has seen in years.
    You all support Berger on strictly platform and issue basis, YET you also regularly bash Catlin for petty personal political reasons. That is disingenuous and ridiculous and you ought to rethink your animosity towards him as it is petty and misplaced. Just like Brian supporters remind republicans of why they should be supporting him and leave his personal problems out of it.

How is this news? Seriously.. How does THIS make the news… I mean I could understand if someone died. But is this newsworthy other than to rehash the Berger saga? Slow news day?

• Jimmy says:

This story is not necessary, and should not have been reported. If Mr. Fulton wants to leave his campaign funds to The Tooth Fairy thats his personal business,and does not need to be addressed. Lets place our focus on more important issues that need the attention.

Josh Fulton is no Brian Berger. He’s the only candidate talking in concrete ways about how to get our city back on track!

Go to http://www.fultonforcitycouncil.com and find out for yourself!

• Victoria T. says:

This UNCW student stopped by my house — got quite a mouth. He’s a nutjob just like Berger. Two peas in a pod they are. Tell everyone you know — this guy is just Berger’s understudy — he’s a Manchurian Candidate. Trick me once ain’t gonna’ trick me twice. I’m on to you, Fulton. You’re a liar just like Berger — your website is full of false statements and slanders.

OMG…some people just never learn!

Don’t let your mind wander, it’s far too small to be let out on its own.

• GuestDawgs says:

This isn’t news. Berger has no campaign at the moment, and unless he’s Josh Fulton’s campaign manager (secretly) this is just another crass attempt for wway to draw anyone with an IQ over 80 to their station and this websuite. You should put Brian Berger on salary WWAY he’s more honest than your “news” and you use him as a crutch instead of putting in the effort to find real stories.

Notice how much more focused Berger is now that the mentally disturbed teacher he was engaged or living with…certainly supports his statements about her ms blalocks mental and psychological makeup. “Cheaters never win” doesnt this heather work for head start and they’ve been in the real news lately, state investigations, shoddy conditions, embezzlement…isn’t that right?

Berger the “libertarian” gets kudos from me for voting for the SUP for heavy industry and for being the deciding vote to not raise property taxes. Report on that wway!!!

• Oh boy! says:

Here we go again…. Another nut job from the Tea Party! Notice how all the posts for this new guy and Berger are during the day? I’m sure they’re all home collecting unemployment like the grand master himself. How’s the Cheetos Brian?

• truthseeker says:

IF you want to use the word FRAUD- the you must mean Rick Catlin– two faced positions and political mischief—fulton and berger arent nearly as bad as that phony.

• wilmobserver says:

It isn’t petty to point out his many flips or the many projects on development he has supported over a long time period that helped him and his friends. His shenninagans with sandy best represent the worst in our politics- look in his closet before you defend- he is not what he seems.

Looking at the time stamp on your post, it does seem to be a day time post.

• 9 to 5er says:

I have a real job, work for me begins at 9, not like you losers, go back to you goverment handout and you Oprah show.

Seems this kid has enjoyed jumping from city to city, University to Unitversity, and has found an “easy locale” to HOP INTO politics and set his life course as the big mouth Liberterian, who wants people in city jobs to …. what? WORK FOR FREE with NO BENEFITS?

Is he fiscally responsibly paying for his own education??? Is he still in fine arts??? WHY?

Has he lived in Wilmington for the required time to be paying IN- STATE GRADUATE TUITION to UNCW, my alma mater?

Comeback to argue these points Fulton or, Brian Burger’s handlers…whoever spots it first, as you have done when rebutting other unflattering posts.

ANY friend of BERGER is a Lunatic, sorry! I am ABLE to see right through this Bergerwannnabee, who needs to finally have something to put on a city to city hopping resume.

BUYER BEWARE!

• Victoria T. says:

Strike 1 — switch from to Libertarian to GOP right before the election.
    Strike 2 — your’re from New York and just moved here.
    Strike 3 — you’re just a pawn of Brian Berger his nutjobs