Student charged with bringing shotgun to school

Tags: ,

Submitted: Tue, 10/11/2011 - 6:27pm
Updated: Tue, 10/11/2011 - 10:46pm By:

PENDER COUNTY, NC (NEWS RELEASE) — A gun was found in a student’s car on school property friday night in Hampstead. Today Pender County Sheriffs deputies charged the young man with possessing a gun on school property.

The gun was found while Topsail high played its homecoming football game. A deputy patroling the area saw a gun case containing a shotgun in an SUV.

The student 16-year-old Robert Lee Cox the Third from Hampstead, was charged today with possessing a gun on educational property. He appeared before a magistrate in Burgaw and was given a 500 dollar unsecured bond.

• CCRES says:

Do you all know how many parents are off on Friday, hunt in a club, leave the hunt long enough to drive and pick up their child at school and go straight back to the hunt so their child can join in on the Friday afternoon hunt? Most of the time, the parent’s gun is right there in the 4 whhel drive truck. We need to monitor this so we can arrest all of these people. It happens everyday during season but more so on Friday. Maybe we can arrest some of these taxpaying, school PTA members because they are criminals for circling thru the parking lots to pick up their child with a weapon in their vehicle. It will be another source of income for the government and the schools if they will “fine” them in court. (This was sarcasm)

By the way, I am a 13 year teacher and the visible gun doesn’t scare me. It’s the ones in the bookbags walking around me everyday that I fear.

• Guest Tammy says:

TRES is such a wonderful person!!! He is not a person who would hurt anyone EVER!!! He is just a sixteen year old boy who wanted to go see his sister on the homecoming court and wanted to go straight over to his friend’s house to spend the night and go hunting in the morning. He had his duck hunting UNLOADED riffle in his case in the back of his LOCKED SUV !!!! ( he didn’t even have any shells!!!) CLEARLY he wasn’t there to harm a soul!!!!! IT’s a shame that in this world that a teenager can’t make a mistake but an adult can kill their own baby !!! How would you feel if this was your Dad, YOUR brother, your uncle, your son, your cousin, or your Nephew???? ( or that girl in your life…. whover that person in your life that likes to hunt ) Most people would love to be half the person that TRES is!!!!!!!!! GOD’s got you TRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we love you tres. <3

• reason says:

One good reason not to have a gun on campus is because school campuses can have a very high car break-in rate. While this student may or may not have had bad intent, a thief may not be so considerate of your right not to get shot while fooling around with a gun they just stole. Obviously it wasn’t too secure if the Deputy saw, it could have been a break-in thief that saw it instead.

• Terissa Jordan says:

Don’t think of it as “gun control”, think of it as “victim disarmament”. If we make enough laws, we can all be criminals! It’s sad you adult’s have nothing better to do then to make harsh comments as i have seen on here today about how “he should be thrown in jail”. You are pathetic! Yet someone who KILLED A CHILD; got a slap on the wrist and some probabtion? I mean was it really that big of a deal? No threats were being made, no one was hurt, and he wasnt running around with it in his pocket like he was going to kill someone. Why dont you people lay off, and worry about the ones that really are KILLING PEOPLE rather than a younge boy who was caught between making it to a football game after a evening hunt! Society these days are becoming much over rated on the things that DO NOT MATTER rather than worrying about what really does. You parents give your children too many demands these days, having to be home at a certain time, having to make a certain grade, having to be here and there when you want them to be. Wanting a CHILD to be perfect and a adult when they are only younge and to make mistakes as Tres has here and shouldnt have to be a convicted felon and have no future. You people complain about how much our drop out rates have increased and why kids do not want to attend school and this is the reason why! Acting silly over a child at a football game that has done ANY HARM! We have Pender County Police running around like the Barney Fife, acting as if they had a free pass to society! Sad to say it took Police less than 5 minutes to find a gun in a childs car with no harm, but a man lost his life due to their laps in resonding because they were too busy worrying over something that DIDNOT matter as this. It sounds like your using Tres to make a bad example for the school because the deputies are slack. How many deputies THAT NIGHT that were NOT on duty had guns in their cars? Quit making him look like he has done such a harsh crime when in reality he has done nothing wrong! Just a simple boy trying to make it to a football game in time after hunting that evening!

• marvinisit says:

As sad as this is, it is where we are today in America, with respect to violence in schools. It is not about making enough laws so we can all be criminals. I am sure in this case it was just a stupid mistake on his part. However, with respect to so many other incidents involving students at other schools in America, I am sure the parents of the students who were brutally murdered asked the question–What could we have done differently to have stopped the senseless and tragic deaths of our young people. It is unfortunate but necessary with respect to weapons at our educational facilities, that we apply the law/rules with a no tolerance policy. How ever this works out in the courts is another issue. I hope leniency is used in this case, given the facts in hind sight. But it is better to have used this measure than for it to have been a case of someone actually having planned to use a gun at a school. Because it could have just as well been another tragic event. Remember, hind sight is almost always better than foresight, especially when it could have turned out to be something so so bad. In closing I am sure that those who matter to this student do not think poorly of him but rather just plain old wish he had stopped and thought just a little more before putting that gun in his car. It happened almost identically at Pender High School as well. I wish him the best……………….

• marvinisit says:

I agree with you. They should be arrested just the same as Tres. And what has ” Tax Paying” or school “PTA members” got to do with it. It matters not whether the gun was brought to school in a ” 4 wheel drive( I think this is how it is actually spelled and I am not a teacher)” or a “book bag( two words or maybe you meant backpack which is one word)”. The point is to keep them away from school.

Well said……………..

• marvinisit says:

Yep, I feel sorry for the lad and yes if it was a relative of mine it would hurt. He just broke a law and he has to pay his dues as sad as it is. I have had a relative jailed several time before and he never touched a soul. He has done his time and has made something with of his life. So I do know the hurt. but he did break the law.But this is not going to end in jail time, or at least it shouldn’t. Check with the student at Pender High who had the almost exact same thing happen to him. He might be able to offer up some advice.

Yeah Tres broke a law and got caught with a gun in his SUV. Was he trying to hurt anyone? Nah.
    And yeah most people have gotten a speeding ticket before. Were you trying to endanger the lives of everyone else on the road? Nah.
    Both are dangerous instances and both have potential to kill people, I’m glad the officers are out trying to protect my school, but Tres shouldn’t be charged with anything more than what ticket holders are considering he had no shells. A fine and some school privileges taken away are a reasonable charge. He’s a criminal get him off the streets? Get yo crazy booty off my road then ticket holders.

Eventhough he is 16, in the NC court system a 16 year old is tried as an adult. Whether his intentions were to go hunting after the game or not, rules are rules. If he’s been a student in the U.S. at all, he knows the rule is no weapons on school property. That is not a new law which has just been passed, Im pretty sure it is a law at every school in every county of every state in this country. If the cops saw the gun, the must take precautionary measures; that is their job.

• SurfCityTom says:

the way SurfCityTom bashers take one piece of a post;repeat it out of context; and think they have scored a hit on the old guy.

Better luck next time.

My post was in response to the question of hunting season opening day.

You might want to stay indoors until New Years when the various seasons close.

GOD we have people just like you that NEVER make mistakes…this was a mistake…the kid probably didn’t think twice about it…after all…we didn’t have it there to do any harm to anyone. I can say he didn’ think about it…because I have picked up my son before..sitting in line to pick him up…look back to clear the seat and forgot that I still had my rifle sitting there…something as simple as that..FELONY..again..punishes NOBODY but the honest tax payers…

Again..CRIMINALS…the reason the law was written..DON’T FOLLOW LAWS…the law is STUPID!

• Chester Drawers says:

NO you get your facts straight. There is a difference between a Muzzle Loader and a Shot gun. It may have been Muzzle Loading Season and Bow Season and Duck til the 8th, but he didn’t have a Muzzle Loader buddy it was a shot gun. Hello. He is 16 he has a student handbook somewhere. Why risk it!!! I hate so much it is a felony I hope it gets reduced but if it had been the kid who was going to shoot up the school this would be totally different………

Waiting for you to say something intelligent is like putting a candle in the window for Jimmy Hoffa.

IF it had been the “kid who was going to shoot up the school”..do you ACTUALLY think the laws in place would have stopped him?…It’s kinda like the morons thinking I was playing patty cake in the sand with people that want to KILL YOU in Iraq in Afghanistan…PEOPLE THAT WANT TO HURT YOU DON’T FOLLOW YOUR RULES!..However, it is cute that you think the world works like that…

Ditto…you can Google that if you’d like…

• SurfCityTom says:

doesn’t dove season start around Labor Day week-end?

Im sorry to correct you, Muzzle loading season is in right now and has been since the 1st of OCT. Please get your facts straight!

YOU aren’t a hunter and YOU can’t read…they said DUCK HUNTING…which was IN SEASON last week..MORON!

Just so you know Duck season was still in on saturday morning. The day after the game, as was dove season, crow season, and several other seasons that require the use of a shotgun. Oh and it could have been been a muzzleloading shotgun, which is legal to use during muzzleloading deer season.

I think that our society is a bit too harsh in most of these cases. We’re often driven by fear of a few lunatics blown out of proportion by the media. How many children go to school and come home safely everyday in this country. A lot more than are harmed. Yet our schools are really no more secure than they were 20 years ago. I know, I went to them through the times of the Jonesboro and Columbine events as well as the bomb threats after the 9/11 attacks. Few things really changed.

This young man will have to face the consequences of his actions but maybe someone in the judicial system will have a bit of leniency on someone who made a stupid but forgivable error.

“I’m not condoning what the young man did; but it was in a case, in clear view, in the locked SUV.” Wow…incredible…

Yeah? So that brilliant statement and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at a cheap reataurant. So tell us SCT, with that mentality, what do you think would happen if that same “locked SUV” had a visible gun “inside its case” was left unattended at an airport drop-off? What if that same “locked” SUV were discoverd broken down just outside the gates of the Gov’s mansion, a Federal Courthouse or sitting in front of a large bank facility?

“Oops…duh, sorry occifer ser. I didn’t know I still had that thang…”, as you are stringently handcuffed and whisked off for about 3 days of questioning before charges are applied.

Sometimes, the very brilliance of the sun is dimmed by stupidity!

Hey guestteacher it’s nice to see that you put yourself and other teachers first ahead of your students……YOUR SORRY

• GuestTeacher says:

Possessing a gun on school property is a FELONY. He should be punished, no matter what his intent was. I am a teacher and the possession of any weapons on campus puts me, other teachers, and all of the students at risk. Not to mention the fact that if he had gone unpunished, other students would think they could do the same and also receieve no punishment.

YOU REALLY think this law protects you? I can drive home right now, get a gun and walk right into your classroom….criminals don’t follow your silly laws…ITS WHY THEY ARE CRIMINALS!!! The law does nothing but punish citizens who aren’t a threat. The criminal…is still going to walk in and kill you.

Well said! I remember a time when the worst thing that kids did in the classroom was throw spitballs on the blackboard when the teacher wasn’t looking. And going to the principal’s office was a fate worse than death. If a kid got in trouble, his reputation was ruined, because other parents made sure their own kids didn’t hang around with the troublemaker (they would tell you that one bad apple spoils the whole bunch). My, how times have changed!

Ah….the good old days!

Amen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest 7969, you repeatedly brag about what you will do and how you will act with your pop pistol. I can only hope and pray that YOU, as an individual that brags about poppin’ people “dead in the head” or “making them pee their pants” is NOT a legitimate firearms owner, much less possesses a valid CCP!

You have issues! Get a mental evaluation and a reality check!

I’ve seen people like you, but I had to pay admission.

are you guys MENTAL? I am making a POINT…you guys think some little law will save you from being shot…ask the women who die every day when a restraining order is in place how the law works. My point is…I AM a law abiding citizen. I have guns, I carry guns…I am the one you don’t have to worry about..however, I now can be charged as a FELON…for the actions of a FEW…the law will NOT change the actions of the FEW in the future. So..if you feel all good at night with your little laws in place….please feel free to do so…

As far as me taking a life…it really doesn’t matter what I have/haven’t or will/won’t do…taking a life of a human is a serious action…I can honestly say that I have NEVER though of taking a life like that out of anger or depression…just doesn’t cross my mind…THAT is why I am the guy you don’t have to worry about…the other guys…laws are MEANINGLESS!

• marvinisit says:

Once again you open your mouth and inserted your foot. No you will not drive onto a school, military base government facility, airport and casually point to your gun and ” no problems. You would be removed from you vehicle and arrested on the spot. And possibly have your car and your gun confiscated. And what does — “See…its people like YOU that kill people” mean…..and — “I was making a point that a criminal can do what he pleases..his very nature allows him to circumvent your silly little law” Yeah you made your point because you clearly feel you can “circumvent” silly little laws as well. Lets stick to the issue. He broke a law he pays his due . If you run a red light and ” Get caught” you pay your dues. Then you move on and if you learn from your mistakes then you are not branded a ” bad person”

• marvinisit says:

So you are saying that “Anyone” who has ever used a gun to kill someone was never a law abiding citizen or could say that they have NEVER thought of taking a life like that out of anger or depression…just never crossed my mind. Friend, you are the one who is mental. And if there were no laws I could go and by a fully automatic assault rifle and drive over to your house, kill you and take what ever I wanted and drive back over to my house and face no repercussions. After all law are meaningless. There will always be those who think that laws don’t apply to them or that they will never get caught or who don’t care. But, I guess in your world there would be no laws and you would just use your gun to protect yourself from whomever or whatever.Imagine if you owned a store and I wandered in and decided that I didn’t want to spent any of my money on gas or groceries so I just took them. Since there was not laws it wouldn’t be illegal, so I would have every right to help my self. And since you couldn’t make any more you wouldn’t be able to afford to hire anyone so I would just wait until another fellow decided to do the same thing and distracted you. Silly, no, not in your world but wait you could move to a third world country and guess what they don’t have laws let alone law enforcement. Yes you are the real mental case here pal.

I have a gun in the front seat ALL THE TIME…I get stopped, I point to it…NO PROBLEMS…and no they wouldn’t take it out…why would they..I’m a law abiding citizen…the GOOD GUY…

See…its people like YOU that kill people…I was making a point that a criminal can do what he pleases..his very nature allows him to circumvent your silly little law…and IF I WAS a criminal with a gun..you would pea your pants and DO NOTHING but whimper like a little baby!

Then why don’t you try it? You won’t do it. You know why? Because there are LAWS in place and you know you would either be shot to death by police, or sent to prison for a long time and become another inmate’s girlfriend.

There may still be the occasional idiot out there who is dumb enough to try this sort of thing, but they always get what they deserve in the end. That’s enough to keep MOST of them in line. It’s better to have laws like this and enforce them, than to not have them at all.

THE LAWS were created AFTER “There may still be the occasional idiot out there who is dumb enough to try this sort of thing”…just the occasional idiot…so the MASSES get punished for the crime of an occasional idiot.

• marvinisit says:

Dear guest7969, So according to your reasoning………. only those who are caught with guns at school are the ones who are not the criminals………… how lame. No, law enforcement is not going to catch all of those who break the law by carrying a gun onto school property. But how pray tell are they going to know who is the one planning to use their gun in a manner that is consistent with the “LAW”. Exactly, they can’t so they have to treat everyone equally. Or just maybe you should be the one to stand at the gate and decide who is there to blow someone away or just go hunting. And then you can explain how someones son or daughter will not be coming home tonight because you-” thought that they had just been hunting.”

• marvinisit says:

How sick is it to think of a law that protects our sons and daughters as a punishment. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, embarked on a massacre, killing 12 students and 1 teacher. They also injured 21 other students directly, and three people were injured while attempting to escape. I am sure that the relatives of these victims wished they their punishment could have been this law and not the fact that their lives are forever changed because there was no law, as such until after it altered lives forever.

• ILM NATIVE says:

back in the old days he carried his gun behind the seat of his truck, read the previous posts..reading comprehension.He did not say he lsot it or never knew where it was, it was second nature back then to carry them, I carried mine in a rack on the back window in those days…

• marvinisit says:

Maybe you did, but would you do it today is the question. And who doesn’t know that it is illegal to carry a gun concealed or in plain sight onto a military base. You don’t do it or you pay the price. It is illegal to carry a gun onto school property so if you do you pay the price ,end of story. Yes times have changed. I can remember when I lived in Florida we could get in three or four innings of baseball in the middle of the street before a car came down the road. Try that today, there are just to many cars on the road. So yes times have changed. I know that if I am going to fly I am going to have to get to the airport extra early and not have more than a few ounces of shampoo, cologne, toothpaste, baby bottles, Let alone a pocket knife in my carry-on bag. or it will be thrown out. Times have changed, sad as it is.* Possible headline story * Officers stop Teen with gun in school parking lot. Recognized as kid who hunts in the morning before school. Pat him on the back and send him on his way. At lunch he/or someone else who know he went hunting this morning and brings his gun to school in his truck goes to his truck and retrieves his gun. goes back into the school and murders someone over an argument they had in second period. Maybe unlikely but an entirely plausible scenario. Point is times have changed and we need to be more conscientiously aware of our actions. I wish him the best of luck. And in hindsight I think his was just a dumb mistake. But I thank the officers for their foresight.

• marvinisit says:

No my friend you are not the one I want shooting away at one of our schools. No where in the 2nd amendment does it say you can carry the gun anywhere you please ! DUH!
    In 2008 and 2010, the Supreme Court issued two Second Amendment decisions. In District of Columbia v. Heller (2008), the Court ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual’s right to possess a firearm, unconnected to service in a militia[1][2] and to use that arm for traditionally LAWFUL purposes, such as self-defense within the home. Additionally, the Court enumerated several longstanding prohibitions and restrictions on firearms possession that it found were consistent with the Second Amendment.[3] In McDonald v. Chicago (2010), the Court ruled that the Second Amendment limits state and local governments to the same extent that it limits the federal government. Notice the word lawful above.

In the context of the Constitution, phrases like “shall not be infringed,” “shall make no law,” and “shall not be violated” sound pretty unbendable, but the Supreme Court has ruled that some laws can, in fact, encroach on these “phrases.” For example, though there is freedom of speech, you cannot slander someone; though you can own a pistol, you cannot own a nuclear weapon.

As an avid hunter and concealed carry permit holder, I am acutely aware of where ALL of my firearms are at ALL times and WHERE it is appropriate to be in possession of them. Banks, government facilities, airports, schools, liquor stores and public functions are ALL off limits to firearms possession, it’s general knowledge. This isn’t complicated at all, it’s as very simple component of the reponsibility of gun ownership!

Some have it…some don’t.

do we need to be reminded…of exactly what the 2nd sais…

“A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be INFRINGED.”…so the law you speak of is unconstitutional…of course our Constitution is nothing but a silly document now….

THE LAW IS A DO NOTHING LAW…I can walk into ANY SCHOOL RIGHT NOW and do whatever I want before I am caught…me…I’m the guy you WANT to have a gun in the truck…it’s simple…I’ll dispatch expeditiously anyone doing harm to the public with a firearm….I remember a woman getting stabbed to death at the GoGAS years ago…nobody stopped the guy…I would have shot him dead in the head!

Mandatory expulsion? I doubt he was learning anything at school anyway, since he was dumb enough to bring a shotgun to school.

Can’t play football anymore? Oh, wow! That’s a fate worse than death. If he really loves football so much, let him play at home with his neighbors.

Won’t graduate with his class? He should have thought of that before he brought the shotgun on campus…that’s assuming he was bright enough to graduate.

“He’s mighty young to be having to learn such a fundamental fact of life.” – Age (youth) is no excuse for breaking the law. Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions. Hopefully, he learns from this one.

• marvinisit says:

Use that logic on the 12 students and 1 teacher killed or the 21 injured students and three people injured while attempting to escape at Columbine. And Thinking before you act is a vital part of society bud.

• marvinisit says:

Hey guest1308, you are so far off subject the moderator should have refused to post you comment. Stay on point……………

• marvinisit says:

I guess you are just as guilty as the officers. I mean, have you ever walked by a car and not looked in. ” Snooping” by officers has saved a lot of lives and put a lot of criminals in jail. And no I do not consider this student a “Criminal”. He broke a rule, plain and simple. I suppose you also think it wrong for law enforcement to work undercover. That is surely “Snooping” by your definition.So “Snoop” on officers. I just hope that anyone snooping around my property is doing so to look out for my safety, and well being, like these officers were doing, and not some crook.

Snooping wow what a “slackard” comparison……………..

What was a deputy doing snooping around vehicles in the first place? What a bunch of crap….we, as citizens have let lawmakers get by with stupid laws like this for too long. Guess we are getting what we deserve.

The deputy was doing a little task called “His job” It appears as something you obviously have yet to master.

I would think the Deputy was watching out for the children in the school. Do you have children? I do and I say Good Job!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep snooping and keep the children safe! Thank you!

• marvinisit says:

How in the world could this ruin his potential future? Please explain the statement — “here we go one step closer to tightening down on coming as close to losing our 2nd amendment rights as ever, and most of ya’lls idiotic mentality is why.” How lame and paranoid can one be. And — “no tellin how many cars in the parking lot at that football game had pistols in the car.” No telling how many drunks drove home from a bar last night but wait that’s against the laws tooooooooooooo. What, its’s just as good analogy and reasoning as your idiotic mentality.

• OMGnotaGUN!? says:

a criminal, get him off the streets? whoever thinks like that is an idiot. no tellin how many cars in the parking lot at that football game had pistols in the car. probably a good ol country boy who didnt think much about it and this is probably going to ruin his potential future.

here we go one step closer to tightening down on coming as close to losing our 2nd ammendment rights as ever, and most of ya’lls idiotic mentality is why.

i dont want to hear no crap about felony this, deputy that. i know how it works.

• April says:

Wow! Who would have thought a country boy living in a rural area of NC would have an UNLOADED shot gun in his CAR at a football game during hunting season?!?! What do you bet he had been hunting or was planning to go hunting & just didn’t think about it?

Thank goodness they don’t have zero tolerance anymore. I think it’s a crying shame this young man is in this kind of trouble over an UNLOADED shotgun.

• hunt says:

obviously, you aren’t a hunter. Gun hunting season doesn’t start here til October 16. So, if he’s hunting now, or was doing so the, then he was doing it illegally! Which is a whole nother issue all together.

I’ll bet this is a first offense. Magistrates usually start out with a small unsecured bond if the perp has no previous offenses (especially since he’s only 16 years old). It will go up each time after that if he gets in trouble in the future (and also may become a secured bond). I’m not saying it’s right…just that it’s routine for this type of thing.

$500 unsecure bond; Yep that will really teach him! Geesh!

• Guest12gaRta5B says:

The unloaded shotgun, still in the case, was in the boy’s car. At the very worst Barney Fife should have made the boy leave to take the weapon home.

What a lousy story.

• WILMINGTONNCNATIVE says:

Bail is not a fine set to punish someone, in most cases. It is to insure the person will not flee to avoid prosecution.

This young man faces mandatory expulsion for the remainder of the school year…a non-negotiable. He can’t play football on the team anymore and won’t graduate with his class. You happy now?

This young man’s decision will impact him for a long time to come. He’s mighty young to be having to learn such a fundamental fact of life. Think BEFORE you act.

Only 16 years old? He looks like he’s in his mid-20’s!!!

a crock of CRAP! Unloaded gun, in the case…first he SHOULDN’T have let them search his vehicle…and a good lawyer might get him off since he is a minor if they didn’t have parental consent. The no guns on school campuses does NOTHING…I can walk in to ANY SCHOOL in the county and do whatever I like before getting caught…laws like the one that got this kid in trouble only get honest people in trouble…shame on the PIGS..yes I said PIGS in this instance…that didn’t just send the kid home.

The weapon was in plain view in his vehicle. If you ever need police assistance, make sure you ask them to “send the pigs” you immature little person.

• Monkey Junction says:

It is not the job of the police to make laws but to enforce them. The people at fault here are the school board for a zero tolerance policy and the kid who brought the gun to school.

• really? says:

I guess you don’t understand that the deputies were enforcing the existing laws, they don’t get topick and chose which ones to enforce and ignore, especially felonies. Go tell the judge in the case he is a pig, or go to a law maker and make your sad rant, you are barking up the wrong tree friendo.

• Guest gunman says:

Your a freakin Moron, why did he need parental consent to search the vehicle of a 16 year old ???? He is old enough to go to big boy jail now, drive like a big boy so he gets his car searched like a big boy !There is NO diference in searching a 16 year old boy’s car or a 60 year old man’s car if you have a reason to you backwoods idiot ! BTW Next time you have a shotgun in your front seat and the “PIGS” want to get it out, let me know how it works out for ya to tell them your not gonna let them. Id love to catch you in a school doing whatever it is you think you can do , (prob to the little boys) without getting caught

Times sure have changed. We used to hunt before school in the early ’80’s and you’d see a dozen student trucks with rifles/shotguns in window racks in the parking lot. No ill intent. Nobody threatened.
    The world has gone PC crazy.

here…had my rifle behind the seat…never ONCE thought about it being there until I got it out to hunt that evening…

…of their children. The days before gangsta gangs proliferated and the days before the Columbine massacre and other mis-guided, rotten a$$ed kids decided it was cool to see how many people they could murder before getting subdued.

Sorry Mac, you’re 100% correct, it’s a different world these days! You just can’t walk around with your eyes shut anymore, especially with todays lack of parenting and guidance with todays teenagers. There have been too many girlfriends murdered, students and teachers massacred by stray and mentally deficient, psychotic teens. Thus…the rules. They’ve been out and made clear for a long time. This young man surely knew better. Now, he’ll be kicked out of school for the remainder of the year, can’t play on the football team and won’t graduate when he should have.

Yes sir, times sure have changed! We have, what we have to deal with and we know what the rules are. This young man decided he was exempt from the law and, unfortunately he will pay dearly. Prudent judgement and review of the consequenses go a long way BEFORE making a decision!

You need to wake up and get with the program. Times have changed…back then did you hear about school shootings like now? It is a different generation and the parents of this generation are not taking care of their kids like we were taken care of. We were taught what was right and what was wrong, now a days kids are lucky if they even have parents that are not sitting up in the jail house.

• redd1976 says:

He is a criminal, get him off the streets!!!

• really2 says:

The deputies are not mind readers. Take one of the many school shootings that has happened in this country, should they have just met the shooter at the door and said “take your gun home buddy”? They have to enforce the law as it exist, not how you wish it was. Oh yeah, how original calling an officer doing his job “Barney Fife”.