20 Comments for this article

Tags: , ,

By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER
Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Some 55 million Social Security recipients will get a 3.6 percent increase in benefits next year, their first raise since 2009.

The increase was announced Wednesday when the government released a key measure of inflation, which determines whether people who receive Social Security get a cost-of-living adjustment, or COLA.

About 8 million people who receive Supplemental Security Income will also receive the 3.6 percent COLA, meaning the announcement will affect about one in five US residents.

There was no cost-of-living adjustment in 2010 or 2011 because inflation was too low. Those were the first two years without a COLA since automatic increases were adopted in 1975.

Monthly Social Security payments average $1,082, or about $13,000 a year.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comment on this Story

20 Comments on "Social Security recipients to get 3.6 percent increase"

GUEST666
2015 years 8 months ago

WONDER IF US DISABLED VETS WILL SEE A RAISE???

SurfCityTom
2015 years 8 months ago

contact Congressman McIntyre for an answer.

2012 is an election year. What do you think?

Police
2015 years 8 months ago

What’s a raise? I’m a cop and have not seen a raise since 2008.

Guest69
2015 years 8 months ago

maybe we as veterns,police officers, firefighters[and a few others] should join congress cause they get one every year! No wait we can’t..we deserve it cause we actually do our jobs!!!!

ILM NATIVE
2015 years 8 months ago

union, that is what they are supposed to do for you isn’t it??? So your a cop you ain’t nothing special….

ILM NATIVE
2015 years 8 months ago

you can try this, seems to be the in thing.
These are the serve and protect crowd..serve myself and protect my dope. TRUST NO ONE.

Guest123
2015 years 8 months ago

I can probably buy and sell you and anything you own. Most of us are not so crass and vulgar that we brag about it.

Guest69
2015 years 8 months ago

we won’t get cola… hell we won’t get spit cause thats what they do to disabled vets in this country..deny,deny deny! and as far as writing someone not gonna happen cause all they do is lie!

Guest7969
2015 years 8 months ago

He Probably GOT DRUNK and fell down and HURT HIS KNEE. Now he is BILKING the government now.

William Smith
2015 years 8 months ago

Common wasn’t bragging dumba**. He was simply explaining his VA disibility pay as a contractual earning from the US Gov’t. You were the one that came off as an arrogant blow hard.

Thanks Common for your service to my country. :)

Commonsensenotcommontoday
2015 years 8 months ago

I’ve been retired and on VA disability since ’92. I am hard-pressed to remember a year (other than last year) when we didn’t see a raise in both retired pay and VA disability.

kenny
2015 years 8 months ago

When taking into account what you and other Vets and Disabled Vets have risked, given and done to insure the safety of the people of this nation, to simply say THANK YOU seems to be so trivial but THANK YOU for your service. If I could make the decision, none of you fine heroic men and women would have to want for anything. The people of this nation could never repay you for all you have done to protect us. Please accept my Thanks.

Wade griffis
2015 years 8 months ago

Contacting this man is useless. You will get the same thing you gave your babies- Pablum.

Commonsensenotcommontoday
2015 years 8 months ago

When someone shows up and fires a shot across my bow for no reason, such as Guest238 did here, I like to shove their nose in it a little.

My life’s great and for some reason, that really troubles some people. I guess misery not only loves company, but resents those who aren’t miserable.

Commonsensenotcommontoday
2015 years 8 months ago

I enjoyed nearly every minute of it and would do it all again if I could.

Guest9743
2015 years 8 months ago

Wonderful thought but since it would be a check coming from the VA (government)there are those that view that as an entitlement and I’m willing to bet that 75% those same people never enlisted in the military when they had a chance to stand up for this great country!!

Scupper
2015 years 8 months ago

28-year service veteran w/ 50 percent rating – I am happy with both my retired pay and VA disability. Have not seen a COLA since my retirement in 2008, still, nothing to really belly-ache about. Maybe I can just manage my money like a lot of others…and there are obviously a lot of folks who can’t, regardless how much they get.

Those that think the government OWES you a COLA every year are clueless as to how this thing works and how it is computed. That in and of itself is an entitlement, just like everybody else who gets an entitlement. (I’m not talking about the pay.) The Courts and Treasury ruled that military retired pay is not an entitlement, but earned private property.

Guest238
2015 years 8 months ago

Entitlements!! I thought last week you were bragging about all the money you made investing. Now you’re talking entitlements. Nonsense, you’re just full of it, aren’t you? I bet you don’t have a dime.

Commonsensenotcommontoday
2015 years 8 months ago

Military retirement is not an entitlement, it is a contracted obligation based upon twenty or more years of service and incurs a permanent ability to be recalled by the military if needed. As another poster points out, we have a federal court decision that states military retirement pay is irrevocable EARNED income, therefore property in common that can actually be divided during a separation or divorce.

My VA disability payment is deducted from my military retirement and simply given back to me tax free for an injury sustained while on active duty that limits movement in one joint.

But I can see how in your mind, it’s absolutely impossible for a person to retire from the military while still young, start a second career eighteen years ago, and then have savings and investments….it just can’t be done, can it?

BTW, my military retirement pays my mortgage and all my utilities. My rather generous civilian salary goes toward food….and anything my little heart desires. I have put about half (+/-) of my paycheck into savings and investment since 1993.

Brother, can you spare a dime?

(It’s SOOOOOOO easy to hate and resent those who manage their finances, eh? So much easier to whine and b**ch like a stuck puppy.)

hot air
2015 years 8 months ago

he just has too much idle time, now that Oprah is no longer on.