WWAY NewsChannel 3 named Best Newscast in Carolinas

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 11/16/2011 - 7:41pm
Updated: Thu, 04/23/2015 - 12:57pm

CONCORD, NC (WWAY) — WWAY NewsChannel 3 won eight awards at the Radio Television Digital News Association of the Carolinas annual convention Saturday at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, including Best Newscast in the Carolinas. WWAY won top honors in six categories. The two silver awards came in categories in which the station won top awards.

“I’m really proud of our team,” WWAY News Director Scott Pickey said. “They work very hard each and every day to bring our viewers the best newscast possible. It’s very humbling for our peers to honor us with this award.”

In addition to Best Newscast, WWAY also won Best Special Report for its coverage of a deadly line of thunderstorms and tornadoes that swept across the state on April 16.

Sportcaster John Rendleman was one of the day’s biggest winners. His story about a girl with cerebral palsy who is a member of her high school track team won Best Sports Reporting. He also won Best Sports Special for the “Coach’s Corner,” which airs Sundays at 6 p.m. on WWAY. The silver award in the Sports Special category went to John, Trot Nixon, Jesse Jones and the rest of the WWAY sports team for the “5th Quarter,” our weekly, Friday night high school football highlight show.

Weekend anchor and reporter Ramon Herrera adds Best Investigative reporter to his resume. Ramon won the top prize for his coverage last summer of the investigation into a state trooper in New Hanover County accused by a Raleigh attorney and his wife of misconduct. Ramon’s reporting helped uncover both sides of the story, which eventually led to the trooper being cleared of the allegations.

WWAY swept the Best Documentary category. “Pirates of the Carolinas: Storm at Sea,” produced and hosted by WWAY StormTrack 3 Chief Meteorologist Jerry Jackson, won first place. Our annual hurricane season special explored the intertwined history of pirates and hurricanes along the North Carolina coast. The silver award in the documentary category went to WWAY’s coverage of the USS Gravely Commissioning, produced and hosted by Kevin Wuzzardo.

The best thing to do with kblue2221984 is ignore him. Don’t respond to him at all. Just ignore his comments because you won’t shut him up no matter what. This topic has turned into him and that’s what he wants. IGNORE HIM!! He’s obviously simple minded. I won’t read his post to this comment and don’t you, either. . . and certainly don’t respond to him.

• KBluefan says:

Where did you go KBlue???

Its really funny WWAY that you report about how you won these rewards…bottom line is this, LOOK at the ratings…

• Southern Born says:

I’ve been watching WWAY since we trans-planted tobacco by hand. It’s where I get my news. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!

• Grand Ole Party says:

With any luck you can find your hero in the unemployment line.

• kblue2221984 says:

That’s it! You are so NOT invited to my cook out!!! AND? Your only friend is a Dog named “Big Jerk Face Freddy”!<—–That aught to learn him! Say’s who? Say’s Kblue!

• Enough says:

Ok Ok, we know you were named best for small market. You have let us see it for some time now. You have patted yourself on the back, hell you almost knocked yourself down with the continued pats on the back. Let this go WWAY. I can see you guys in a staff meeting saying “were #1, were #1″

Enough! We’ve been looking at this same article for weeks now. Please…move on with it!

These are awards are not surprising. Look at the type of news that being reported. This station is not beating around the bush, they report the NEWS. Things that need to be heard/told. Leland would still be doing the dirty, corrupt things they’re probably still doing, and I’m sure Chief Jayne is shaking in his boots each day waiting for the hammer to drop. I hope he’s saving some money or looking for another job, because thanks to WWAY, he wont be there too long, and that’s a good thing. He abused his position, and it was brought to light, thanks to good journalism.

Congrats on the awards WWAY, others may talk crap about this station, but at the same time, matters are being dealt with and situations that were done in the dark are being brought to light because of your persistance and reporting. WECT wished they’d pulled the trigger on this…problem is, they have too many friends and a reputation for “good ole boys news.” Whether folks like your station or not, the truth is, you do your jobs. They may not like the news that you report, or how it’s being reported, but at the same time, it’s definately “News Worthy” in mine and so many others opinions, and above all…..You GET RESULTS. Your viewers get results, which is ultimately important.

Great job to all of you, and keep up the good work.

• Guestdnxfhdrns says:

Saving???? Don’t you mean extortion and shaking down? You think these guys are going to start obeying the laws they were hired to enforce now??? Why, they haven’t for the last 3-5 years?

• Citizen of the Republic says:

WWAY gets it out there.

It may be fuzzy around the ears to start off, but they end up zeroing in on the stories you’ll never see on the other station.

They aren’t afraid to call out the nabobs when it’s needed.

If your going to be a news station that reports the truth, you can’t be too chummy with the power brokers in this town, and they end up doing a good job drawing the line.

I think WWAY has done a good job exposing the unprofessional behavior of many so called public servants that have taken the public for granted way too long.

Good job, keep it up!

• Guesttoo says:

It just amazes me that the only news to report is Monday through Friday…

You have a lot of well-wishers. They would all like to see you thrown down one (myself included).

• Michael thompson says:

WWAY needs to blow their horn. If you watch WECT all you ever see are promos about their “award-winning” news department. WECT’s anchors are terrible, even Jon Evans. The Li woman is good, but that’s it, and please don’t even get me started about that bunch on in the morning. Bob Townsend is awful, as is Kim and the other blonde chick that does “fluff” news.

I’m glad WWAY has something to cheer about. I hope they ram it down WECT’s throat.

• virgogirl says:

Kblue, you’re a real freak and appear to have nothing valuable to contribute to any story that I’ve seen you comment on. Since when did the mental hospitals allow access to the internet??

I have preferred WWAY news over WECT since the beginning in the mid-60s. Why? Generally speaking, I have found two aspects they possess over their competitors: (Again, I’m speaking generally). Their news is presented more professionally with less gossipy blather, and homey chit-chat. And their on air personalities are likeable, knowledgeable, and present themselves with professionalism. HOWEVER–Why George Elliott was hired is beyond me. And, as we say in the South to make negative comments OK, Bless his heart, but the new kid on the 11pm broadcast last night is painful to watch. He can’t read.

Also, I’ve never understood how one owner can control two affiliates in the same market. FOX and NBC have the exact same news?

• Juan says:

Grand olde is comment on someones humor???? Cupcake, Buttercup, and the Huddle House jokes????? Are you serious, this is something else you have no clue about grand olde, k blue rocks!!! I just hope he does not have the cookout the same weekend as the Latino Fest that way the Grand Olde Party can make it to get his autograph!!!

• Dookie Burger says:

Exactly. YOU’RE MY BOY BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• kblue2221984 says:

I prefer “Fweirdo” its a mix of “funny” and “weird” Guest11221 you just seem to never get enough of me! Does someone need a hug??? Say’s who? Say’s the Fweirdo Kblue!

• kblue2221984 says:

Grand OLD Party? Remember that time you had all those friends that liked you???? ME EITHER!! LOL!!!!<—–That’s what dreams are made of! Say’s who? Say’s Kblue!

• Grand Ole Party says:

That’s the whole issue, you are not in the least bit funny. Just some wanna be that never will be. Hence the reason you work in Leland. You could never hack it in a real dept. A mature professional officer would assist with the on going investigation, not act like a four year old going to his first circus. Leland PD has a bundle of problems, and you are one of them. They are in desprate need of professionals, not idiots. You would fall under the latter, in case you have yet to figure that out.

SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED A HUG. KBLUE. DOESN’T SEEM AS THO YOU AGREE WITH ANYBODY EXCEPT YOURSELF.

• Kbluefan4life says:

I come here daily to read Kblue’s post’s!!! They are extremely entertaining!!!!Keep me laughing KBlue! Pat.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Wow!!! Your attempt at humor is an EPIC FAIL kind of like your career as an officer. Says who? Says kblue don’t have a clue!

• Guestsghdhd says:

I laughed…. pretty hard. You dolt. Now go away, we are on Team Blue!

Anyone who told you to be yourself couldn’t have given you worse advice.

I think you’re more like a “Fruitcake”. It fits you much better. You’re similar to the “Fweirdo”, but without the F.

I used to think that you were a big pain in the neck. Now I have a much lower opinion of you.

• kblue2221984 says:

Question’s Old Party? Say’s who? Say’s Kblue!

• Juan says:

The self proclaimed famous Tom one again shows his ignorance!!!!! Tom if you are going to try to be famous, please get your facts straight and don’t be a famous dumb @@@!!!!

With comments like yours, I truly feel sorry for anyone that has to live with you, work with/for you, or has to even associate with you. You are an a@@!!

• 28472 says:

Knew that was coming. Is that the best YOU can come up with ? YOU are the one that needs to get a life. TAKE A HIKE

Surf City Tom, If you are going to talk to someone about getting the facts straight, you should at least have your spelling straight. It is Cacky, not Cachy.

I think you forgot Greg who was in there between Steve and Chris.

• SurfCityTom says:

why not get a life? Is that the best you can cime up with?

And just to clarify, I did forget to mention the Alabama transplant who was here such a short period of time, I never got to ask whey someone who became a CPA flipped over to news media?

I have to agree. Comparing Common to Tom is like comparing a Lamborghini to a Model-T.

• SPELL says:

He is perfect and always right – in his own little mind.

So it is alright for you to point out mistakes and to “get the facts straight”, but when the tides are turned on you I need to get a life. It sounds like you can dish it out but cannot take it. “Im going to take my toys and leave”, please you need to be able to accept the critisism that you seen to easily dish out. Put your big boy pants on Tom

Looking at my posting Tom I make mistakes too. We are all human, you should try it sometime.

• SurfCityTom says:

I can take it. In fact chuckles, if you re-read my follow up post,I conceded I had overlooked someone and made a correction.

Oh well, at least tomorrow you can go out on entitlement day.

Just remember, if folks like Commonsense and I did not pay taxes, there would be a smaller pot from which you could feed at the taxpayers’ expense.

• SPELLING BEE says:

told me one time I needed to proofread before posting.Wonder what – cime and whey mean in his last post ?

• virgogirl says:

Sorry Tom, no offense but Commonsense is in a league of his own.

• dewayne says:

trading in rondinero for cacky was the best move ever…rendleman is the man!

• SurfCityTom says:

why not get your facts straight?

Ann McAdams replaced the blonde who came aboard the same time as Rondinaro. That blonde showed very quickly how ill equipped she was to do television.

Cachy replaced Ann who had returned for a short time as an interim replacement.

Rondinaro replaced Jon who would not take a pay cut.

Rondinaro would not take a pay cut; so he was cut loose and replaced by the former weather guy, Chris Philips, who also had been cut loose before his return.

If you don’t see a pattern, too bad.

It’s called business and budget.

• Juan says:

John is good but he needs a side kick BAD!!!!!!!! Trot is just a name, I
    like his athletic ability however you have had long enough to know how to report and man it is bad!!!!!! Go back to school if this is what you want to do, your name will only get you so far! Good Luck Trot man you need some help!! WWAY would win best in the nation if they could get Gene Motley back, he was the best!!!!! George is not that bad either, good sign WWAY!!!! Trot please practice and WWAY may win best Sports Cast Award? I’m a New Hanover grad and it is a little bit too obvious that Trot is too. He shows too much favoritism to be a sportscaster!! Trot Nixon is the best athlete in the area however worst sportscaster in the Carolinas!!!

• mammabear says:

Congratulations….
    I watch this news, but really?????
    The best?
    In all of Carolina??
    They make me giggle most of the time.

• guest3134 says:

They won for their Divsion…Division II…Regardless of the Division, congrats to WWAY.

“WWAY won more best in category awards than any other single station in RTDNAC’s Division II, which includes stations in the Carolinas’ smaller markets including Wilmington, Greenville/New Bern, Florence/Myrtle Beach and Charleston.”

They should thank the LPD for giving all that crap to report

• kblue2221984 says:

Did anyone have any doubts? Say’s who? Say’s Kblue!

You have some serious issiues!!

They forgot the award for “Class Act”. .

• SDVsdbv says:

A year ago i hated WWAY. With a passion. But after their exposure of the corruption and actions of the Leland Police Department, I will watch WWAY and ONLY WWAY from now on. That is a promise.

Thank you WWAY.

• Brian says:

If WWAY is the best in the Carolinas, then the Carolinas are worse off than I ever imagined.

• guest3134 says:

>Smaller markets…Division II.

• wwaywatcher says:

No one is holding a gun to your head to make you watch WWAY.

• michael thompson says:

WWAY has been named the best in this particular TV market. Obviously they are not in the same class as a WBT or WRAL. This is a small market in Wilmington.

• Doris says:

WWAY is sure a whole lot better than WECT. At least, WWAY is not afraid to report the news accurately no matter who the person is. WECT picks to ignore some news items if certain people are involved. WECT is a biased station…while WWAY is not. I don’t like news that is censored….WWAY gives you the plain truth…like it or not.

Keep up the good work, WWAY.

• AvidViewer says:

Congrats WWAY! I watch your newscast mainly because you guys don’t pull punches when it comes to tearing down the other stations. Some may call it dirty reporting, I call it entertaining! Good stuff!

• Brian says:

I don’t watch TV. At all.

• Guestfgnfgn says:

Then how do you know anything about WWAY to have any kind of opinion whatsoever?

Go away troll.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Now all you have to do is not read WWAY. At all. Problem solved.

• mikesuggs says:

this story is still on the front page? think you have milked this long enough!