1 Comments for this article

Tags: , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) – A man was killed Saturday night in an apartment fire at 2114 Burnett Blvd. According to Battalion Chief David Hines, a spokesman from the Wilmington Fire Department, the victim was 62 year-old John Franklin Sutton.

Crews arrived around 7:30 p.m. and had the fire under control within 15 minutes. Sutton lived in the downstairs unit of the apartment. All those living in the upstairs unit escaped unharmed.

“I just kept on saying ‘John, John please follow my voice,’ and he wasn’t able to do it,” said Brinda King, who lived above Sutton.

King says she could hear John coughing from downstairs and tried desperately to get to him but says she knew he was gone when the coughing stopped.

“I wanted so much to save him,” she said.

Investigators believe the fire was started by an improperly discarded cigarette.

“He had probably been smoking and the smoking material had gotten into the sofa or something and was smoldering for a while,” said Hines.

Family members say he was an alcoholic and had problems for years. Hines was a family friend of Sutton and says he was a good man.

“Johnny had problems and issues, but at the same time when you’re talking about family, there was a lot of unconditional love there with his brothers and sisters,” he said. “He also had a son and a daughter. All of those folks are I’m sure going to miss him.”

The structure was estimated to be a total loss, with damages estimated at $100,000.

Comment on this Story

Leave a Reply

1 Comment on "Wilmington man dies in apartment fire"

2015 years 8 months ago

I knew John for many years. A graduate of NNHS. Went to NCSU, and got a degree. Came back and sold insurance. Worked hard, and had a good business. Started drinking, fell too deep into it, and lost his family, and his business.
He would hang out in breakfeast houses along Carolina Beach Rd. He never hurt anyone. He rode his bike around, and would look for loose change. Always seemed friendly.
A good man, who started out so young and strong, but life delt him a few bad cards. He did the best he could. Now his troubles are over. May he Rest In Peace.


Related News

A 90-year-old man saved his bride of 68 years from a fire, after lightning struck their home.
2 weeks ago
0 Comments for this article
90-year-old man saves wife from fire
Read More»
3 weeks ago
0 Comments for this article
Oceanfront homes destroyed in Outer Banks fire
Read More»
3 weeks ago
0 Comments for this article
Fire in Pisgah National Forest grows to 375 acres
Read More»