Robbery suspect shot by clerk makes court appearance, has lengthy record

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 11/22/2011 - 4:44am
Updated: Tue, 11/22/2011 - 1:41pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — The robbery suspect shot by a store clerk last week made his first court appearance this afternoon. Joseph Ryan Anderson was in a wheelchair and could not put his left hand on the Bible during his video appearance from jail because of his injuries.

Wilmington Police arrested Anderson yesterday after he got out of the hospital. He is charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon and possession of a firearm by a felon after police say he tried to rob the Wrightsville Country Store Thursday.

Surveillance video from the store shows Anderson pulling a gun on Mark Headstrong Thursday morning. Headstrong pulled a gun of his own and shot Anderson twice. Wilmington Police said they would wait to charge Anderson until he got out of the hospital. He was booked in to the New Hanover County Jail yesterday.

According to court and Department of Corrections records, Anderson has a lengthy criminal record. His convictions include breaking and entering, larceny, robbery with a dangerous weapon, receiving a stolen vehicle, assault on a public official and escape from a state prison. In all the records show he has spent nearly 13 years in prison.

Anderson is in jail under $100,000 bond. He is due back in court December 8.

• mike1961youl says:

you’re being extremely free with that word dude… “people”…

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

It’s just unfortunate that the clerk did not have the training and skill to place a double-tap to the orbital sockets and remove this piece of garbage forever.

Sooner or later this guy is going to kill someone because the state refuses to deal with these people on a once-and-for-all basis.

“By giving us the opinions of the uneducated, journalism keeps us in touch with the ignorance of the community.” – Oscar Wilde

• reggiemiller says:

REALLY? WUT,S KRAZY,IT,S COP,S MOLEST,N KID,S &NO-1,SEEMS TO SPEAK BOUT THAT,BUT U WANT TO GIVE HIM THA CHAIR? WOW,GUESS WE KNO WUT U DO! DNTT,GET ME WRONG,HE WUZ,BUT DO US ALL A FAVOR & GET RID OF ALL THA SCUM,EVEN COPS! THEY LIE 2!!!!!!!

I copied his post into Google translate to convert from hoodrat to English. This is what it came back with: “I wish I was smart enough to communicate in English. Since I dropped out of school and I’m basically a welfare sponge all I can do is post on the Internet with my government paid for cell phone.”

Reggie, wait until you sober up before trying to post on the Internet.

• GuestK says:

Your comment, though you obviously HAD a point to make, did not succeed. I have no idea what you just wrote. If you want to make a difference and make your opinion count, try spelling correctly while using proper punctuation and grammar.

This guy has been a thug for most of his life. He willingly walked into a store and pulled a gun on the clerk. Wasn’t he suprised when the tables were turned? On the video, I saw him begging for the clerk to let him go. Bravo to the clerk for defending himself and rendering this criminal helpless. He definately got a taste of his own medicine.

• Das Weibstück says:

Are you employed?

• Guestfedup says:

Next time (and there WILL be a next time), AIM RIGHT BETWEEN THE EYES! Then we can all rest easier.

• A1 says:

But he is a good guy and only made a mistake.

A criminal act isn’t a mistake, it is a choice.

• GuestAntiK says:

You’re wasting your breath on Kblue. He hasn’t got both oars in the water, and your responding to his post only makes him lightheaded and giddy. He loves, loves, loves the attention and will do anything to get it. Best thing you can do is ignore him. He hates that worse than anything. But I do understand him. I have a way with dumb animals.

• kblue2221984 says:

Don’t hate me cause you aint me!!!Say’s who? Say’s Kblue!

You need a better class of friends then.

• kblue2221984 says:

Did “HE” sell you the computer your on now? We forgave him 18 times!, Was that not enough? He’s a felon. Now you say it. fff ell un, Put it together now…..come come you can do it! FELON. Yup that spells good guy in my book! Although I’m not a teacher I want to correct a mistake you made in your post. (Decision) Should be (Decisions’)Its okay though I forgive you. Say’s who? Say’s Kblue!

• Guestwhat says:

Right. He might be a really nice guy to his grandmother or whomever but by any objective opinion he is definately NOT a good guy. When you aim a gun at someone it should be inferred that you intend to kill them, so if the clerk had killed him he would have done so rightfully. Does he deserve the execution now? No. But had he died that day he would have deserved it.

And he didn’t just make A bad decision. He’s just made his most recent one. Hopefully the judge will see fit to keep him away for very long time. The public doesn’t deserve to have to worry about this guy walking the streets no matter what YOUR or God’s opinion of him is.

• A1 says:

@kblue2221984: At first I thought maybe you had a stuttering problem when you were “trying” to be cute when typing “fff ell un.” But, now I realize, it’s just your ignorance showing. Well, maybe not ignorance, stupidity is probably the better term. Also, just because Joey received stolen goods when he was 16 years old, doesn’t mean that “I” have or ever would. The computer I am using is in fact, mine. In which I purchased from Best Buy. Would you like to see a credit card statement ? Since you want to be such a smart ass, why don’t I ?? Two can play this game. I am very thankful that you are NOT a teacher. Especially an English teacher ! No telling how stupid our schools would be if you were. Before you try to point out what YOU think is a mistake, you may need to read over what YOU write. I guess you failed to learn that there is a difference in “your” and “you’re” (you’re: meaning YOU ARE… the correct form you should have used) Also, I am guessing you were too busy criticizing and judging your peers in school instead of learning that you do not capitalized a word in the middle of a sentence unless it’s a name. You seemed to have gotten carried away with capitalizing words after a comma. Say’s who ? Say’s A1 !
    But back to the argument at hand. I never said what he done was right. He was 100 % WRONG. And yes, he should pull time in prison. He will. Plenty of it. My thoughts were not either expressed clearly enough for you and everyone else to understand, or either your reading comprehension is about as great as Joey’s common sense. I had stated that I didn’t agree with those of you who were saying he should have been killed. He messed up, yet again. But unless he was actually trying to take the life of the clerk, he wouldn’t have needed to be killed. If you would review the video again, you will see that there really wasn’t even a struggle. He approached the clerk and the clerk shot him. No reason for Joey to be put to death. He wasn’t trying to harm the clerk. Just scare him maybe. Now that I have broken it down for you a little more, you can understand it a little more clearly.

• A1 says:

I cannot control what others do. His actions do not define me as a person. Everyone needs frineds. Even those who do bad things. Having a postivie friend could help make a positive change in their life some day.

• A1 says:

You’re right. The public doesn’t deserve to have to worry about this guy or any other guy making the same decisions, walking around our streets. He will pull time in prison, especially given his past record. Also, I’d have to agree with you on part of the last statement you made. “MY” opinion doesn’t mean anything. However, GOD’s does ! You might need to be careful in what you say about the Great Almighty who controls your next heartbeat !

But you can control who you have as a friend. You are known by the company you keep and it seems you keep criminals as friends. Keep on defending him because we will keep on trashing him like the trash he is.

• Guest99x says:

Hey A1, I watched the video MANY times to make sense of this…. your buddy-boy Anderson WAS menacing with that handgun no matter what you say or how you try to sugar-coat his actions.

A FELON with a handgun menacing a shopkeeper and you defend the FELON claiming he only wanted to scare the shopkeeper…

You seemingly are in some form of altered state… I would be interested in trying some of what you are using. Is it solid, liquid or smoke???

• #1 gunner says:

“He messed up, yet again. But unless he was actually trying to take the life of the clerk, he wouldn’t have needed to be killed. If you would review the video again, you will see that there really wasn’t even a struggle. He approached the clerk and the clerk shot him. No reason for Joey to be put to death. He wasn’t trying to harm the clerk. Just scare him maybe.”

Incredible, man points deadly weapon at clerk to “just scare him”.

If someone points a gun at anyone, that person has the right to defend themselves, unless your a convicted FELON IN POSSESSION OF A FIREARM.

The harder you try to defend this waste of human flesh, it just points out prison doesn’t rehab anyone.

Lock em up, forget about it.

• A11 says:

Where do you get that I was “sugar coating” his actions ??? Never have I once agreed with what he done. Nor have I tried to take up for his wrong doing. All I have done was defend my opinion when I say he or anyone else does not deserve to be killed. I’m thinking you lack the ability to comprehend what you read. Are you that simple minded or should “I” be asking “you” what form of drug you are on. The next time you view the video, make sure you are sober. It is very clear in the video that he surrendered before he was shot. Also, never once in his priors had he ever been convicted of hurting anyone. You guys act like you are so concerned for the communtiy, but where was your concern when they sent a 16 year old kid to the DOC to grow up. When you watch the video, you are seeing the result of child rearing by the DOC.

• kblue2221984 says:

1)But, now I realize,< -----(No comma needed) it's just your ignorance showing.
    2)The computer I am using is in fact,<-----(Another poorly place comma.) mine
    3)Would you like to see a<-----("the") credit card statement<->? No space needed……
    12)I never said what he done was right. LMBO!!!!! This one took the cake stupid person!! Hold up I NEED AIR!!!!!Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh A dumb dumb correcting my mistakes???! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh I NEED AIR!!!!! “what he done”!!!! K lets start over sweetness…..
    B)He wasn’t trying to harm the clerk. Just scare him maybe.< ------ WOW you are truly ----->ignoranter<——- than I am! I would even sayy you are ignorantest!!! The man walked in a store to scare the man behind the counter? I CAN SEE HOW HE”S YOUR BUDDY! Stupid people come in 3’s.
    Correct this one moron Your Stupid, You’re really Really StUpId!!!! Say’s who? Say’s the A1 CRUSHING Kblue!

• Guest Cameron Frye says:

meat sacks…that’s pretty funny!

• Das Weibstück says:

Wish the clerk would have aimed at his head!!Sick of these worthless meat sacks roaming our streets.

• A1 says:

I know this guy personally. He is a good guy, just made a bad decision ! No one deserves to die. No matter what they have done ! God is forgiving, why can’t we be ????

• A1 says:

You are really a sick person to say that someone should have aimed the gun at his head and shot him ! I know this guy personally, and he wouldn’t ever have tried to shoot the clerk. He was wrong, yes. But he doesn’t desereve to die. He made a bad decision…. it’s not justice by taking his life.

• Guest Reply says:

Send him to a Marine boot camp…and then to Iraq. That’ll make him think about what he has done over and over. Send the prayerful judge(s) along with him while you are at it!

The military has gotten much stricter with their requirements and won’t take this guy because of his record. In the old days, you could send a troublemaker to the Marines and they would make a man of him. These days, they say no thanks.

• Boom Boom says:

Mam, you have just pegged the stupid meter!!

• Just another Guest says:

D Newsome, are you blind, or just not reading the article. This guy didn’t just turn to criminal activity, he IS a criminal, with a LONG past of violent crime. He’s not trying to survive, he’s an animal preying on good citizens who are really trying to get by. He’ll kill, its a matter of time. This isn’t an economy issue, its a soul issue – he doesn’t have one. You’re a fool.

The saving grace in this situation is that the clerk was faster to live than this guy was to kill.

Personally, I agree with their policy overseas. They cut off the hands of the thief so he won’t be tempted to steal again.

• Challengetheworld says:

You are crazy. Hustle? He is a CARRER criminal. He made these decisions and he is endangering society. He needs to be put away.

Well Denise your excuse for him to possibly be commiting an ARMED robbery is the economy. OK, his criminal history goes back at least 13 years. What was the economy then? Would you feel the same if you had a child in that store getting something at the time and was injured in some fashion?

• ILM NATIVE says:

it I for once agree with guesty..EXECUTE HIM he is a drain on the taxpayers and will never amount to anything but a thug criminal..If you feel so sorry for him when he gets out take him home with you and try to reform him.I bet you won’t last long.

• kblue2221984 says:

People got to eat? Wow your stupid! Here’s a great Idea ignorant lady! If he’s hungry steel a taco! Or? Ask for an application? I swear to god almighty this is by far the most ignorant comment to date! Congrats Dip Stick you won absolutely NOTHING! Say’s who? Say’s Kblue!

• getajob says:

There are more than a few ways to survive,legally and respectably – rather than point a gun at someone and demand their money.Let him get 3 meals a day in prison for the rest of his life.

He has proven he lacks the ability to live in a civil society and it is sobbing weak minded individuals making excuses for criminal behavior that have allowed him and other like him to walk free. I don’t care why he chose to commit crimes. I don’t care what kind of childhood he had, what kind of family life he grew up in. All that matters is he is a criminal, just committed yet another crime with a gun. Feel sorry for him if you want and if it makes you feel better. Hell, let him move in with you.

When he gets out of jail in about less than a year. You and your family can welcome him into your home. That way you will not feel sorry for him anymore. Thank you for stepping up to the plate. Please write him and give him your correct address to ensure he will have another 3 hots and a cot when he gets out. Thank you Denise!

• Guest99x says:

Is “ridicilus” the virus that produces ridiculous comments? How can you describe the commission of armed robbery as a “hustle”?

• Mr.G says:

Hopefully, the next time he sets out to rob someone it will be you: then see how you feel, clueless.

You are the fool attempting to defend this criminal friend of yours. He has been locked up for almost 13 years. Being a criminal is his way of life and we are tired of it. Good attempt at the deflection by bringing up the “what if it was your family” line. Most thug defenders bring up that one as well as don’t judge, he was a good guy and all that other crap that his criminal record disproves. Deal with it.

• Clarence says:

…than this fool showing up to court in a wheelchair is if the wheelchair had to become a permanent fixture in his life after a bullet pierced his spine! Ah, sweet justice could have really been served!

• A1 says:

I am right there with you Ms. Newsome. I DO NOT feel Joey should be killed ! I know this man, and all you FOOLS who are running your mouth bout him saying he will kill someone the next time, are WRONG ! The gun was for show… And you all want to keep refurring to his PAST record…. he was 16 when he first got into all this trouble !!! You act like he was a grown man when he started doing this. He has made bad decisions…. haven’t we all ??? Some more so than others… but NEVER does his actions warrent a death sentence ! I do not agree with what he has done, but I also do not agree with you all saying death is the best solution. You all keep saying kill him…. but remember, one day YOU may have children or grandchildren who ALSO could make bad choices… how would you feel about people voicing their opioion about them being killed ?! Guess it would be different then, huh ? I’m guessing those of you who are cring out DEATH are either atheist or non-christians !!! Casue GOD is full of mercy and love and compassion. No sin or wrong doing is too grate that it cannot be forgiven.

This man needs help? Give me a break. There is no help for him. He has refused it all and continues to hurt people. Screw him, we need HELP for his VICTIMS!

• Guest99x says:

The gun was for “show” is what you say?? This has to be the most idiotic thing said in the history of this board. Sometime the greatest exercise of nobility is in knowing when to keep one’s mouth shut. A1, you and Denise should consider that you have picked a wrong battle.

Instead of defending the dumb crook du jour in the person of Joseph Ryan Anderson; allow me to modestly suggest that you attempt to understand the anger and frustration being expressed by so many writers on this topic.

This anti-Anderson sentiment isn’t that of a mob with pitchforks and torches. It is the sentiment of a group that has become tired of being victimized.

Anderson got his sorry ayrse nailed to the wall dead to rights. He was a dope, plain and simple and proved it with an on camera performance.

Anderson attempted to intimidate a shopkeeper and the shopkeeper said no.

• anne says:

If I am in my place of business and someone walks in and points a gun at me, my first thought will not be “oh, this is just for show”. My first thought will be this thug is going to hurt to kill me and I need to do something. No I don’t have a gun in my place of business but I can pretty well guarantee you that if you walk in here and want to take what is mine, I will put you down faster than you can blink. This guy did not make a wrong choice, and you throwing up about it could happen to our family just doesn’t cut it. He made a deliberate decision to try to steal something and he paid a price for it. Fortunately for him, he only got shot and injured. He could have been killed. He is a train wreck waiting to happen – just look at his record. If he is not put in jail and rehabilitated, he will do it again and again. The next time he could hurt or kill someone or be killed himself. Don’t defend him – get him some help before it is too late.

• A1 says:

I didn’t come looking for a “battle” to win or lose. In sharing opinions, are there really winners and losers ? Never learned that in public speaking class. I was simply stating that he didn’t need to be killed as a postee had said ! Maybe you may need to learn to keep your mouth shut ?! Just as you have opinions, as do I. I never agreed with what he had done. I was just against the idea of those who were stating that he should have been killed. Simple as that. Is that a little more clear for you to understand now ? Or do I need to break it down a little more ?!

• A1 says:

I wasn’t defending the actions of this man. He deserves every day that he is to spend in prison. I only was saying that he wouldn’t have deserved to have been killed. Simple. What part of that are you getting that I am a fool ?

He threatened the life of the clerk. Doesn’t matter that he didn’t fire, he pointed a weapon at another person. That shows he doesn’t value the life of others and we shouldn’t value his life. I stand by what I have posted, he should be executed to save the normal people that don’t see crime as a way of life.

Also, he would probably score to high on the ASVAB to join the Marines. Be all you can be!!

He has been given too many chances and he has proven he lacks the common sense to live among civil people. Either lock him away for life or my preference, execute him and be done with this piece of trash.

• Execute Him???!!!!, Really, are you serious. The man is a common thief not a murderer or molester. But you want him executed. Get serious. People like you are ridicilus. We don’t know why he turned to criminal activity, and even so he needs help not to be put to death. Poor people everywhere take drastics chances on trying to come up and I don’t aqgree with all of them, but I won’t knock anyone’s hustle. People got to eat. The economy are making times hard for everyone, and some dumb asses will take to the streets to get by. I just feel sorry for him for thinking that’s what he needed to do to survive.

• A1 says:

Have you ever made a bad decision ???? Guess you are perfect. His wrong decisions do not warrent death.

Mr. Headstrong could have saved tax payers a lot of money with a little more target practice! This guy is career criminal. No use to world, and a total thug.

This criminal history:

And yet he is still on the streets attempting to commit another violant crime. The only difference this time was the clerk met violance with violance in defending himself. Why is this guy out on the streets. How many people have to get robbed, raped, assaulted, molested, hit by repeated drunk drivers, etc. etc. before the judicial system does their jobs. I am talking about the judges with light sentences, the district attorney’s with their ridiculous plea deals, the probation officers not violating the ones that need to be violated, etc. Enough is enough!!!

• PublicAvenger says:

Go ahead and blame the crime problem on the police.

This robbing leech, thug, along with thousands of others, will be back on the street, getting dissablility, in less then a year.
    Within the next 5 years, he will be arrested at least 3 more times, for felonies. It’s past time, for the state to step up to the plate, and put these robbing animals away.

• Citizen of the Republic says:

Congrats to the store keeper.

The only problem is he will spend 3-4 years in prison, come out and rob again.

Then, he will shoot the unlucky person working the night shift at some 7-11 or Kangaroo right off the bat.

He won’t hesitate next time.

Someone needs to put this dog away permanently.

If he were robbing people in gated communities, where the rich live, it wouldn’t be long before robbing a convenience store carried a life sentence.

Get it done!

MAYBE A1 WILL BE HIS NEXT SUBJECT.

• alexb says:

too bad there werent a couple more bullets with his name on it… the police didnt protect… the courts didnt protect… guess we have to protect ourselves

I’ve made plenty of bad decisions that have effected me but I have never pulled a gun to rob somebody. Or been locked up for 12 years. Never have I claimed to be perfect, just not a criminal. Big difference there.

• Charles Walters says:

Yes he is employed as a dumba**!!!!!