THE RANT: Leland Police Chief Jayne calls media coverage “witch hunt”

Tags: , , , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 12/02/2011 - 6:51pm
Updated: Mon, 12/05/2011 - 2:22pm By:

LELAND, NC (WWAY’S ‘THE RANT’) — Leland Police Chief Tim Jayne did his first interview this week with the ‘Local News Review’ since allegations surfaced of misconduct within his department. Jayne did the interview against specific orders from Town Manager Bill Farris for city department heads and council members not to talk to the media.

In the interview, Jayne tells LNR co-owner Mike Leggett that the stories reported here and in the Wilmington ‘StarNews’ are a “witch hunt.” “Long after I’m gone and long after I have completed my task here,” he said, “what the other news media have done will remain here and I’m sick about that.”

“If you look at what the ‘StarNews’ did, “What’s Wrong with LA Law?,” that’s an insult to the town of Leland, to go back to that old LA moniker,” he said. “People should be standing up and defending the fine police department we have here.”

Jayne also contends the media coverage is an attack on the Town of Leland and blames former Assistant Town Manager Michelle Cox for trying to destroy him personally. Farris fired Cox back in July after she claimed the office had become a hostile work environment and she stopped coming to work. Cox says she offered to work from home until the issue was settled.

During the investigation into the shooting of former Officer Sherry Lewis, Cox also recommended that Jayne be terminated for misconduct and sent the recommendation in writing to Farris.

Chief Jayne, if these allegations are not truthful, why did you literally run away from our cameras after a recent town council meeting and have your officers try to keep us from asking you any questions? Why do you refuse to sit down with us to answer these allegations?

Because Chief Jayne, I’m having a hard time equating your “fine department” with your lieutenants encouraging the shooting of Officer Lewis in the crotch 12 times. I have a hard time believing you have a “fine department” after you hit one of your officers in the gut last year at a bachelor party. Why does a “fine department” continue to employ an officer who shot his revolver in the air on New Year’s Day? Or an officer who repeatedly pulls his pistol on other officers? Do other “fine departments” have the high turnover rate that yours does? Do the officers at other “fine departments” live in fear for their lives if one of their fellow officers decide to snap that day? Do other “fine departments” order their officers to take lie detector tests so you can find out what they told an SBI investigator? Is it the mark of a “fine department” for its officers to have sex in a house donated to the town or sex with each other at the station house? Does a “fine department” need to be investigated by the SBI?

Chief, if this truly is an attack on the Town of Leland, then I would encourage you to stand up for its residents and defend these allegations. So far, not ONE person has come forward to say that ANY of our reporting is false or incorrect. Why is that Chief Jayne? Could it be that everything we’ve reported so far is accurate and you’re just trying to deflect the blame and say it’s the media’s fault, or that we’re out to get “the town?” No Chief, we’re out to expose and report on what’s happening in YOUR department. If any of it is not true, you have an open invitation to sit down with us anytime, anywhere, with any reporter or anchor of your choosing, to be the leader your profess to be and defend your and your department’s actions. Feel free to call anytime.

• Mark Miwerds says:

This Leland Police problem has nothing to do with being Southern in any way. This is purely about bad behavior and evil that has become endemic in this organization. Before retiring, I had to move away from NC and live all up and down the Eastern U.S., and I can tell you from my own experience that I have never seen such evil and unprofessional behavior in a group of police officers as I have in the Village of Leland’s police.

The only permanent solution to this will be to remove all of them and start completely fresh. Make sure the search for hires is national, too, or we’ll end up with another set of good ol’ boys and dirty backroom deals. You see, we have thousands of people retiring to this county from all over the U.S., and too many of them are too well-educated and have seen professional police departments in service elsewhere to allow what happened here to go on anymore. If you don’t ‘clean house’ and start all over fresh, this is going to go national to the general public, and we will get to be a laughingstock of a place for years to come. No one will ever get re-elected for office in Leland, because no one will have the public’s confidence. It will end up affecting the reputations of everybody within 50 miles of Leland. You know how these things pan out in the media and on the internet. I don’t care who did what and how much of it, just start over and play it safe.

Do the right thing this time. Rebuild from the ground up. What a total shame and disgrace this has been for all of us.

• BILL OBRIEN says:

I have gone through BLET and I have arrested more than my fair share of perps. What has not gone without notice is that I was hired to uphold the laws of this state and this country and be held accountable by the people I serve. I don’t know if you have ever held a position in law enforcement, it doesn’t sound like it. If you are in law enforcement…PLEASE…quit now! Your attitude is why we have such a crappy reputation. Your attitude is everything that is wrong in law enforcement today. People don’t have to go through BLET before they are allowed to call something out for being wrong. Get over yourself! Use I-40 to head west? How about you freaking leave? I am so sick of this ignorant redneck comment. It seems to come up anytime someone is outdone and has lost the debate. How about, since you can’t handle the issues…YOU LEAVE? Maybe a slow dinghy to China?

• Guest of the Police says:

Yeah, I am back. I see all the “whiney” people who feel they are entitled to render an opinion because they pay taxes enlightened me on how many more morons really live in the world. I really thought it was an act here in the Wilmington Metro/LA area on how people pride themselves on ingorance and try to pass it off as the gospel.

Again, go take a BLET class, sign an application, work some shifts and collar a few criminals to really get an idea. Otherwise, just shut your mouth and not question the manner in which the Leland Police Department provides law enforcement. Any one who has a problem with the “brotherhood” of the job, good. Perks of the job I say. Remember “fellow cop”, whistle blowers think they are doing the right thing but only find themselves “out.” Tread carefully, might be a long night when you are calling for help over the radio.

However, we as a soceity do have the responsibility to not rush to judgement or in laymans terms, maintain the presumption of innocence per se. Give the chief a chance to figure out if the alleged accusations are true and let the department follow its’ policies and procedures if they are. No further character assassination is necessary.

Last but certainly not least, if you do not like something, you have every ability to change something, including using I-40 westbound. A hearty thank you to the Leland Police Department for being Lelands Finest and Happy Holidays.

THREE CHEERS FOR JOHN EVANS AND FRANCIS WELLER!!!

You get on here and spout off so you joined the “whiney” people group.

Ok. If you say so. Just a hint of advice, stay away from the lead paint chips and stop licking windows.

I mean, honestly, you must be joking with this comment. This can’t be a serious comment, right?

Kblue
    We Love “YOU”

You have took a sad situation “The Leland Police Department” and poked fun at how stupid they have become and still act. Thank “You” Kblue, it ought to be embarrassing for them, as it is embarrassing for us living here in Leland to have such bad leadership in our Police Department. Remember there’s many of us citizens out here reading this that never speaks out. Anyone with a brain in there head knows who’s telling the truth. Its obvious who are the Guilty. There’s so many different people calling them out, for so many different things. Everyone knows its not a mistake or disgruntled employees. Its bad when your only defense is to say being a officer is hard go take a BLET classes and see.

Thanks again,
    Kblue Fan

Go Kblue

Kblue for Leland Chief

• whineycousin to guesty says:

hey whiney guesty nothing better to do-see you’ve joined us too. Your name is all over the place.Ain’t it grand………when you think about it………….you’re just like me…………bet you think you look great in a mirror too…………..

• three cheers for humanity says:

Why would they want to start following policy now? Truth is not character assassinations but I do believe calling something a witch hunt is. Ignorance is seeing what is going on right in front of you and not being willing to see it. Taking a BLET class doesn’t teach anyone the innate human ability of leadership or compassion. That comes from within and when all you are concerned with is going on your boat and dreaming of retirement you don’t have it. An honorable man would have looked into the allegations long before he was forced to. When anyone who is supposed to be so upstanding can honestly say “Remember “fellow cop”, whistle blowers think they are doing the right thing but only find themselves “out.” Tread carefully, might be a long night when you are calling for help over the radio” they have indeed showed their true nature. True brotherhood requires looking out for your fellow man and being ethical. Society also has an obligation to care for those who can not care for themselves and when anyone is being harassed, degraded and being treated little then everyone should speak up.

• Guest99x says:

Hey “Guest of the Police”…. are you sure that’s powdered sugar on those donuts you’ve been inhaling? I am not a poet like “Kblue” so I’ll cut to the chase…. Leland’s chief is a liability along with a large part of his farce’s upper echelon leadership. He needs to be removed at the earliest time for the benefit of all.

Is there a real reason for the recordkeeping deficiencies aside that LPD failed to maintain compliance with training and standards requirements. I was in the fifth grade when the “dog ate my homework” excuse worked the last time. That was almost 50 years ago. I remember as a kid that we respected our police. Back then, most of our police lived exemplary decent lives well deserving of respect. Where have the good leaders gone??

“Tread carefully, might be a long night when you are calling for help over the radio.”

If this is representative of any department’s “finest” then we are all in a heap of trouble. In one sentence you make a threat and in the next sentence you tell us not to rush to judgement. When you make statements like that, you completely ruin any credibility you may have.

And once again, any American citizen is entitled to render an opinion on any matter. It’s called the First Amendment Right to Free Speech. Any police officer who disagrees, should read the Constitution that he/she has sworn to uphold.

• kblue2221984 says:

Thank you SOOOOOOOOO Much!!! I do want to add something before I sponsor this message. Their are some really great Officer’s in Leland. Most have been treated unfairly at the hands of a monster. It’s the Timillicky trio whom should be set free. My name is Kblue and I with all my heart sponsor this message!!! Say’s who? Say’s Kblue!

• getsome says:

How screwed up can that place be. How is this nut back on duty, pulled his service weapon on other officers, states he has mental health issues, PTSD, come on man, is this for real? Look being a veteran myself, usually a guy like this is a flase hero, love to see his DD214. But after the facts about him, how is he on duty, a weapon pulled as a joke? How would he do with a citizen, come on this guy is unstable, how does he still have a gun, Oh yea, the Cheif and LT’s are unstable. What is the city council doing? Lets keep harrassing the good officers and lets keep the liars and nuts working. Really, come on star news and wway, this is like hitting softballs, finish this off before one of us gets hurt.

• NY1 says:

I certainly agreed with you. The public and resident of Leland are venting. First and foremost we are to give everyone of those officers credit for putting their lives on the line everyday for a measly $35,000 plus annually. Let be real, all those who are saying those negative and disrespectful things about the chief, Let me asked you all this. How come for all those years when Sheriff Hewitt was committing all those crimes i did not hear you all writing anything about him.

I have known Chief Jayne from his first day here. He was faced with a big task from get go. Leland do have some officer who need to move on. So the house cleaning is creating a big buzz right now. Things will be back to normal. All he needs to do is stay focus and get some new officer on his team and move forward.

• Kbluefan4life says:

Keep it up Blue! Mr. Balboa is sending some Officers home because he thinks they are you! Which means he reads your post’s.

Kblue 4 President!

• GRITS says:

Not all LPD officers are Southern born and bred. Actually, few are even originally from the South, NC, the coastal plain, or even a county close to Brunswick. As a native of this area, I am well aware of the stigma that is attached to Leland. It was well-known for being backwoodsy and redneck (even amoung natives), and I’ve always laughed at how Leland has sold itself to incomers (mostly Yanks, since you brought it up) as being “big time” now. But don’t fault the LPD’s screw-ups on the fact that they are located in Brunswick County. Theses “bumpkins” are not natives. They have no ties to the South other than the fact that they bought property and settled their families here. Tired of some implying that the shenanigans are due to this being a Southern department, playing on the sterotype that Southerners are less educated, rednecky, and country bumpkins. No, what we have are a bunch of transplant Yankees who brought their bad attitudes and guido bravados with them. I can just picture them at the gym with that stupid song “I’m sexy and I know it” playing in the background. And then going out all pumped to issue tickets. As it turns out, quite a few of the LPD officers are not educated, the ones who AREN’T from here. Stop with the sterotypes. Being Southern and the dept. being located in BC has nothing to do with this. Where these officers came from has more to do with this.

Witches aren’t real. Police corruption is real. I’m sick of this Leland Police story; it’s time to level this place.

I have lived in a couple different places in North Carolina and I have never seen anything like Brunswick County. I wish it was just this department, but apparently this is the norm down here. Brunswick County is a complete joke. A punchline of “Yankee” jokes. But guess what? The Yankee jokes are REAL when it come to this place.

Time for Raleigh to do something about this (they have got to be sick of you half-wit bumpkins embarrassing the rest of the state).

• Say what? says:

“Thank you Leland Police for being Lelands finest and doing a job that most people are too coward to do or to weak to deal with.”

>>>>Ummm…it took a lot of COURAGE for Landen to take out his female partner’s crotch during a training exercise. Whew. Where’s his medal for eliminating that threat? The world is a safer place.

>>>>Ummm…it also takes a person with great mental STRENGTH to pull a pistol on his partner when HE can’t take the pressures of his job.

Any idiot can pass BLET, OK? OBVIOUSLY. The job IS demanding. Training can only help so much when personality flaws stand in the way. Some people are cut out for it, and some aren’t. It’s their fault for feeding into the shenanigans. The end.

• Guestcitizen says:

We are entitled to an opinion as long as you, the police, serve us. You would be well served to remember that.

• true entitlement says:

I think people who are not involved in the situation and have not worked in the most horrible place of employment, known as the Town of Leland , trying to tell those who have, how to act should just shut their mouths and mind their business. Otherwise, go work for the Town, be mishandled, discriminated against and treated like dirt and then, and only then, you are entitled to an opinion.

• Guest of The Police says:

Ahhh….once again, WWAY has nothing to report.

So lets fabricated a story…call a few ex employees who didn’t get their way and try to assassinate everyone we can by trying to exploit them on TV.

Good job WWAY…

Think I will go back to WECT.

I think people who are not the police, trying to tell the police how to police should just shut their mouths and mind their business. Otherwise, go take a BLET class, sign a application and go do the job. Then, and only then, you are entitled to an opinion.

You don’t have to be a plummer to know when the toilet is stopped up.

As a citizen who pays taxes, I am entitled to an opinion regarding the police department in my town and any other entity funded by the taxes I pay. In fact, as an American I am entitled to an opinion on anything. It does not take a cop to know when another cop is bad any more than I have to be a fire fighter to know when a building is burning.

• Guest99x says:

Hey, Guest of the Police, I have a suggestion… Don’t eat too many donuts. When the police are engaging in corruption and thuggery I will damned well open my mouth and say what is wrong and you have no capacity to tell me when I am entitled to an opinion.

Since you’ve asked, here’s my opinion. We should immediately fire the 100,000 cops hired with the Clinton administration crime bill grants from 1994. Next, we should fire 100,000 more.

• kblue2221984 says:

My fans are not offended. They know “your” the dumb one. I found another word in a Foreign dictionary that seems to define your caricature the word is…
    Moneakifobeats-Mon-eak-if-fobe-e-ats; Adjective, Verb, Noun. It is to mean (YOUR STUPID) For more information please call Gran Ole Smarty at I-luv-kay-blu. Or Try his web site @ http://www.wishIwaskblue.com Say’s who? Say’s you’re buddy Kblue!

• Grand Ole Party says:

I didn’t mean to offend you and YOUR girlfriend Kblue. He often does mash me into the ground, at least when I can make out his spelling.

• Das Weibstück says:

Before you call someone dumb you may want to learn the difference between the words “your” and you’re.

• Grand Ole Party says:

You’re…..
    Your……
    Try to learn the difference prior to calling someone else dumb.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Listen doofus……(You’re) replaces you are. Thus it should read Say’s YOUR buddy and mine! Leland PD needs to do a clean sweep and get rid of the trash as well as the ignorant. In case you were unaware that would leave you unemployed as well.

• Kbluefan4life says:

I forgive you Blue.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Listen idiot, when you can’t spell or don’t know the difference between two simple words, it makes you sound foolish. Not that it takes much for you. I see from the above post you know how to use Google, try and learn the spell check too. It’s okay to make a mistake, but not over and over. How can you call someone else dumb when you are just as stupid?

• kblue2221984 says:

“your” my hero! Big hand for Grand Ole! “your” my new best friend…”Your” so awesome it hurts. “your” so cool I’m sure “your” going nuts right now wanting to correct it. “Your” the new forum spell checker k? “Your” gonna do fine. “Your” gonna make so many friends eye can feel it!! eye have faith in “you’re” skills. Please continue the great work. Many people here look up to and admire “you’re” spelling skills….I’m guessing at some point in time you will catch on? But probably not… Poe wittle stanka, Until then your doing a great job little fella!!! Bless “you’re” little baby heart! OH!!!! before eye forget eye took the pleasure of looking in a Foreign dictionary for the meaning of you’re name. Like to hear it? here it go! (Grand Ole Party) Gruh-and-old-Par-tea: Adjective, noun, verb; Known for his uncanny ability to correct the words (Your) and (You’re) Grand Ole Party was to become the 2011 WWAY “Your” “You’re” forum Spell checker. He got his start when in 1743, His Great great great grandfather (Grand Ole Your Party) on his mother’s sister’s uncle’s brother’s side, Used to do the same, only difference was the forum was printed on the back end of a over weight smelly Hippos booty. Other than his ability to correct these words he sat motionless often times carving “your” and “you”re” into the walls of his cell. You have quite the background little guy. Be proud of your roots! Take pride in you’re self! Say’s who? Say’s you’re buddy Kblue! Much Love to all my fans……

• kblue2221984 says:

“Your dumb!”Hmmmmmmm To answer your question? “How can you call someone else dumb when you are just as stupid?” Its actually kinda easy, watch “YOUR DUMB”……See? Your getting angry aren’t you :( Your not a very nice person. Your being very rude! Your mean! But we can work on it…..Tomorrow? We will work on shapes. Thursday Colors. Say’s who? Say’s Kblue!

• kblue2221984 says:

“Your stupid” “You’re stupid” They both seem to do the job no???Say’s who? Say’s you’re buddy and mine! Kblue!

• Kbluefan4life says:

Each time you say something you get your feelings hurt. You think you have learned your lesson the first time he or she embarrassed you. But keep going I like the way he or she mashes you into the ground.

Kblue 4 Life!

• kblue2221984 says:

I want to first say that I am deeply distraught over my misspelling of Your and You’re. In the past I have made many mistakes, but none quite so embarrassing as this misspelling incident. I want to apologize first to my family, I have let you down and for this I am deeply sorry. Second to WWAY, mere words cannot express how sorry I am over this tragic twisting of the American language. My heart is aching and I am now paying the price as I cannot sleep over this event. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. I am truly sorry. Third to Grand Ole, I know we disagree on almost everything but this act of ignorance cannot be forgotten. I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me. We are all human and obviously make mistakes, but none quite as horrific as this. Grand Ole? I am sorry. Forth, Das Weibstuck ahhhhh ((“you’re”)) name Says it all.(Definition) Das Weibstuck: Duh-a$$ Weeb-stock. Noun: Originated in England in 1834 Des Weibstuck was a name given to individuals who had no friends. Often seen with t-bone steaks tied around their necks so the family dog would play with them. Not real popular in school often seen in trash cans or toilets with their underpants pulled so far over their heads it was being held on by their nose! Great name kiddo. But back to my point. I am sorry I offended you or used the word “dumb” eye am indeed the dumb one, and for that I am sorry. And last but not least? “You”, my loyal fans. I have disgraced you in a public forum. This pains me the most. I have let all of you down by misspelling “your” I just hope that you can all dig deep enough to let this terrible tragedy pass so as we can all just move on. To my fans, I am sorry :( Say’s who? Say’s a saddened Kblue!

• hanchett says:

then the leland police can get jobs at their favorite hangouts with thir girlfriends at citgo ,or ricky d can get a job with the girl hes been chasing at food lion

• Eddie Munster says:

I bet the admin.And the citizens of the Town of Leland wishes they had Sanders back. Sanders might have had his flaws, but none of this B.S would be going on. I worked under Sanders and as much as I thought he was a micro manager he knew what was going on in his department. This clown you have now is just that a clown. Wanna be LT. Kozak is nothing but a joke, he is a yes man, he couldn’t investigate his way out of the good old Waffle House. Now for C. Bost, you were the only brains that Dept. had left that wore brass, and I see you used those brains and got the hell out of dodge. GOD HELP THE PEOPLE OF LEAND, and the few and I mean few poss. 3 officers that Leland has left!!!!!!!!

• Former Employee working with Chief Sanders says:

I was given the wonderful opportunity to work in direct capacity with Chief Sanders during his service as Chief of Police in Leland. I joined his staff in an awkward role maintaining responsibilities assigned to me in broad technical areas. I went on to work with Chief Sanders for close to, i believe, 7 years…. And what I observed happen from day one til we departed years later, was a professional police department missing a few cards in the deck.. What I observed Chief Sanders do from day one was his embracing of his “new” police department that he had just took command of there recently. He immediately begun the process or learning the department as i was, and began integrating into the department his professionalism, experience, years of working with much bigger agencies, and most of – Common Sense and understanding. Understanding that this is how it is, and this is how “he” see’s it though growth, changes, policy creations, education, and many plans for the many changes, some small,some big, that was all ultimately the big plan to get that department right. Right meaning Good people, Good ideas, and most important, wonderful supervision at any level in efforts to guide and educate employees and staff so that they all two grow together into the wonderful plan to get the department right; Because it needed alot of work…. Another vision, uniformity, rules, policies, pride, trainnig, Work ethic, Honesty, strategically hiring, moving, shuffling employees into areas right for them and then helping them succeed with the job responsibilities by always communicating with each of us and always willing to provide to us tools, education, supervision, just so many tools to help us grow, do our job, and make a difference. Which he did. The leland police department was soon being recognized by area departments as a clean, uniformed, and organized department and there was much more to do.. new projects, cars, training, offices, command staff, promotions to encourage officers to do well and grwo and bring someting to your job means someting and do a good job while you’re doing it. And last but not lease, the Accountability. Accountability plays a roll in almost every action given, taken, ordered, and so on… But Accountability is also used to lead, account, and sometimes accountability can be mis-understood….That’s where most have problems with Accountability and it’s because if you do someting right, or do something wrong, you have be be held accountable. This person that is driving the “accountable ship” u could say, is the one person that the accoutability becomes the number one tool.. And with that so, most staff and employees from any organization end up fighting accountability just becuase it has all the power, the answers, the questions, the answers, and generally speaking, some do not like to be held accountable for their actions and in this department they would be NOW. I feel that The Accountable Unit that all staff and employees reported to fault it in a sense, and that is what ulmiately drives poeple out. But it is fair to say, Without Accountability, we have no roof over our entire ogranizational house that we al work under together. Chief Sanders was tough but firm. He was fair but would laugh with you. A career professional in the Air Force and many other departments, earning the most highest law enformcement award in the state and keep going. I miss Chief Sanders. He’s a good friend of mine that helped me greatly. Sorry to hear he had to move on, but today, Bravo Chief Sanders, You did a find job and thank you for what you taught me and many officers that came though your door. Forever FRiends.

The SBI investigated the Spring Lake Police Department and the findings are very similar to the “charges” that are starting to surface with the Leland department. Spring Lake ended up having their authority revoked and the sheriff’s department temporary took over law enforcement duties in the town. Sounds and looks like that is what is needed in Leland. Shut down and clean out the department and let the Brunswick Sheriff’s office take over until Leland can rebuild a new department.

• Me,Myself and You says:

Definition of ‘Coward’
    A man who teams up with 3 other men, to bully a woman, by shooting her with training bullets.
    A man who kisses up to a chief, while he pulls the rug out from under her and a good captain for political reasons.

It will be funny watching the cowards jump ship, to save their hide, when the “House Of Cards” starts to fall. They will quickly reverse themselves and pretend they were like K-Blue all along.

• kblue2221984 says:

I am Kblue and I approved this message…..Say’s who? Say’s Kblue!

• kblue2221984 says:

Dear obviously distraught not so smart person. Your dumb! Or? Your one of the Timillicky trio which explains a lot. Quick question stupid person…..If you dislike this “News” station so much? why do you keep coming back top prove to us how ignorant you really are? WAIT!!!! Before I forget? “bye” Sure aint gonna miss you…And thanks again for showing us your moron side. I took the pleasure of making up a word for you. “Ignorupidum”: Ig-nor-upid-um, Verb; It is to mean Ignorant, stupid, moron, dumb dumb. Consider your self lucky I don’t just make up this stuff for anyone…..Say’s who? Say’s the now word making Kblue!

• Leland Resident says:

Why??? Because no one with any integrity would speak to a tabloid, so called “news organization” as your self. One that is only looking to report lies, and exaggerations being told by UN NAMED sources! Your station can not be trusted to report the truth, cannot be trusted not to “spin” an interview as to serve your own purpose…That is the answer to your “Why”!
    It is you, Mr Pickey, that is an embarrassment to your profession!

• Confused? says:

I believe it is very odd that Chief Jayne decided to sit down with Mike Leggett to discuss allegations within the police department. Just a month ago, Mike Leggett called the Chief a liar and everyone in his department thugs. If you are not familiar with the Local News Review, it is a locally owned Newspaper published in Leland (which I’m using “Newspaper” very loosely). The owner of this paper is Jane Crowder, who just so happens to be Leland’s new Councilwoman and is co-owned by…. guess who.. Mike Leggett. They also, sponsor the Leland Christmas Parade, which I believe the Chief and his children ride in every year. One more interesting fact, this newspaper also employs….. no other than ex-officer Sherry Lewis. (Per her Facebook page) It seems odd that Chief Jayne, who has not one time taken up for his officers or town, is now going to speak up. Maybe it is because Mayor Elect Brenda Boseman has wised up to Chief Jayne’s lies and now he seeking a new alliance. I’m seems very odd that he would speak only to a local newspaper who has did nothing but shown his department in a negative light. Why not give the interview to WWAY?? That would have satisfied you. Why not give it to WECT or the StarNews, they both have conducted themselves very professionally and shown both sides of the story. I agree with you on this Scott. However, your Rant appears to have quite a few incorrect statements. The statements in your Rant contradict past stories reported by you, Mike Leggett and your sources. The post on this story has again moved from the focus, the Chief not taking responsible for anything, to again baseless attacks on officers working for him. Scott… have you not been in contact with the investigating agent at the SBI, like Mike Leggett… Do you not have the same connections??? Find out if they are still looking into the allegations of officers doing work at his house on the town’s dime… In his letter he only requested the SBI look into the “Training Incident” and the “theft of personnel records”…. He didn’t ask them to look into any other allegations, like the ones made against him. I’m guessing he had a good attorney to dictate to him exactly the right wordage to use, so they would only investigate just the things that wouldn’t include him. Jayne is looking for a someone to bear the blame for his mistakes and lies. I hope Leland, the new Town Manager and Town Council are not drinking the kool-aide. Mayor Elect Brenda Boseman.. I hope he is not wanting you to suffer in his place, please watch your back and talk to your people. Don’t believe everything he tells you…. I’m sure he is working overtime covering his backside.

• Local News Review says:

Sherry Lewis has never been employed by the Local News Review.

Local News Review

• Lelandgal says:

The Unity Group is the one that does the N C Christmas Parade and the programs that follow after the Parade. The N C Christmas Parade is 19 years old this year, The Crowders have not been members for 19 years, They both came to help after watching and enjoying the parade one year. The Local News and Review only prints stories about the upcoming Parade each year since the paper has come out. Leland is lucky that we have a paper that will print stories about our local programs and sporting events. And let me tell that no paper is perfect, there is errors in all that we write or tell.

• Guestyconfusedlelandgal says:

Nope. So she could get elected and continue with the “old Leland ways”

• confused???? says:

Still smells… Lelandgal you wrote on a 11/3/11 post the following: ” I would like to ask everyone to write in Sherry Lewis for Mayor, Brenda seems to be hiding and not answering questions right now, She looks to other for answers that should be her own answers. Brenda needs to know that if she can hang with us then we can write her out. I know that alot of you were going to vote for Franky Thomas as a wrtie in, but lets write Sherry’s name in there instead. Thanks” Mayor Elect Brenda Boseman search all the post by Lelandgal.. It will be easy to figure out who is for you and who is against you. One more thing Jane, you may want to inform ex-officer Sherry Lewis that she wasn’t employed with LNR because two weeks after her settlement with the town she posted on her “open to the public” facebook page that she changed her employed status to read LNR. You didn’t ask her to resign too, did you??? I’m so disappointed in you Jane Crowder and the LNR… all this for what… so you could be “Only on WWAY”???

Good luck with getting him to sit down with you. The only shot of that happening is if he really wants to let his ego get the best of him and thinks he can make you look silly. I truly understand why I left this field of work after 17.The thought of having to deal with the likes of him everyday would drive me nuts.

• fellowcop says:

The shenanigans at the Leland Police Department are the talk of the state people. I was at a training event recently for police officers and police supervisors. The Leland Police Department and its reputation is shot. They are openly being used as shining examples of what not to do for police supervisors. From what I gather, there is not an ounce of respect or sympathy to be found among Leland PD’s peers. I feel sorry for this police chief, his employees, and the citizens of Leland. He seems to be is ill-advised and foolish as to how his police department is really perceived.

Thank you for keeping this issue alive. It is truly pathetic that Chief Jayne can not take responsibility for destroying a department by populating them with bullies and thugs that kick out officers that they can’t control, intimidate and threaten others so they fall in line or are scared to speak out or hire new officers, teaching them the wrong way of doing things so that they can be destroyed for the rest of their careers. Most, if not all, police agencies are distancing themselves from the Leland Police Department because they see through these “smoke and mirror” stories Jayne is throwing out and hear from the officers what is really going on in the department. The “click” is in control, but hopefully not for long. And shame of the town administration and council for not putting an end to the insanity of this man!! Yes, we in Leland are ashamed – not at our police department, but, more specifically, at the man on his enforcers that not have a strangle hold on the town!!

• Boom Boom says:

General Jayne sees WWAY as a joke they are not his equals, they provide no real threat to his day to day activities. He taunts you he has cleaned the floor washed all the sheets and rid the department of anyone he cannot trust.

“Nanny Nanny BOO BOO” Come and get me. but dont feel bad he has suckered punched others as well, he has masterly orchestrated documents for trainig, he has reorganised Dare programs to help with the kids. you are not his match he knows everything you know. Cox is the beginning, so WWAY make her the End.

start asking questions. Here is one who was on the hiring team? who did the background check?
    When was she fired?
    What happened between her and General Jayne?
    Look at the personel policy and see if cox was fired before here time ran out?
    see if she was investigated before or after she supplied Farris with the report.
    Its all there just investigate. its not illegal its just dirty Farris management.

Lets not forget Sheery Lewis, are they saying she was a bad employee.

See she did what she was told and paid for it with her job.

Also there are employees who left that had perfect evaluations and good positions why not contact them so as to shut up the its only disgruntled employees,

Hit the payment continue on you can do it dont let him make a fool out of WWAY he is saying yaw are just a RAG and his but is where he will use you.

I am in agreement with Mr. Pickey on this issue. If this station has reported anything that is inaccurate or an out and out lie, then Chief Jayne and his cronies should dispute it instead of simply attacking WWAY for reporting it. The fact that no one has disputed the allegations speaks volumes.

• Citizen of the Republic says:

Being a resident of Brunswick County, and Leland in particular, the alleged conduct of Chief Tim Jayne and some of his officers is disturbing.
    The SBI is investigating these charges and hopefully will put this to rest. If indeed the allegations are true, there should be a major housecleaning of the department.
    I have always had a high regard for these officers, but i’m a realist.
    Things can go on, unnoticed and unseen behind closed doors, or in another town.
    I hope this is the first step in making the town of Leland a better place to live and work.
    Next, start on the elected officials and see what pops up.