make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Investigation underway in fatal shooting at Virginia Tech


BLACKSBURG, VA (AP) -- An investigation is under way into the fatal shootings today at Virginia Tech.

A gunman killed a campus police officer in a school parking lot and was later found dead, with a gun nearby, in another lot.

Virginia Tech was the scene of the deadliest shooting rampage in modern US history nearly five years ago. In an ironic twist, the shootings took place on the same day Virginia Tech officials were in Washington, fighting a government fine over their alleged mishandling of the 2007 bloodbath that left 33 dead.

Before it became clear that the gunman in today's attack was dead, the school locked down the campus and used a high-tech alert system to warn students and faculty members to stay indoors.

Police say the officer was killed after pulling a driver over in a traffic stop. The gunman - who was not involved in the traffic stop - walked into the parking lot and shot the officer. Authorities won't talk about a motive.

The officer had served on the campus police force for fouryears. Police don't know if he had been specifically targeted.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.


That's right. A $55,000

That's right. A $55,000 fine will make everything right. What are these people (education department) thinking? Bad things happen sometimes. A fine is not going to undo anything. This is not the way to make a fast buck. Leave VT alone.

21, I have always found the

21, I have always found the notion of one branch of government levying "fines" on another to be repugnant. I pulled this from an AP article on VT:

"Virginia Tech began the appeals process for a $55,000 federal fine levied for its handling of the 2007 shooting spree this week in Washington. The government says the university did not warn students that a shooter was on the loose in a timely manner, which is in violation of a safe campus law known as the 1990 Clery Act. The parents of two wounded Tech students said their children would have stayed indoors and avoided injury if the school had notified them, according to the Roanake Times. The school argues that it complied with the law."