Berger escorted from DSS Board meeting

Tags: , , , , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 12/21/2011 - 4:59am
Updated: Thu, 08/02/2012 - 5:02pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — New Hanover County Commissioner Brian Berger was escorted out of a DSS Board meeting today. Berger, who fellow commissioners removed from several boards, including DSS, yesterday, says what is happening to him is against the law.

“I’m not one for making scenes, and I don’t like drama, but the law is the law, and America is a nation of laws not men,” Berger said after leaving the meeting.

Berger had yet another dramatic day, as he arrived early to the New Hanover County DSS Board meeting early and sat down at the board table. The problem is that yesterday the County Commission replaced Berger on the board.

Once Commission Vice Chair Jonathan Barfield was sworn in, Berger was escorted out.

“It’s not a very good indication when a member of the County Commission does something that is a flagrant violation of the law, as Mr. Barfield has,” Berger said.

Berger believes there is no concrete reason for his removal from the DSS Board. He even said he thinks he is still a member of it. DSS Board Chair John Craig says although Berger was removed, Craig did not ask for it.

“I can’t really criticize him, except that he was never on time. That bothered me,” Craig said. “But as a board member, I really don’t have a complaint about him.”

Craig and a sheriff’s deputy spoke to Berger before the meeting.

“I tried to get him to leave voluntarily, and I explained the options to him: that he could leave voluntarily or I was going to have the sheriff’s department assist him in leaving,” Craig said.

Barfield says what happened was not a surprise.

“When you think it’s getting better, it’s not,” Barfield said. “For the most part it’s not frustrating. I think that I’m built for this, and I think the board is built for this in terms of making tough decisions, and you just do what you have to do.”

Berger says he is considering all his options to keep his spot on the DSS Board and other boards, including taking the County Commission to court.

• GuestK says:

Thanks for the response to my post. The beauty of an open forum is to state your views and to get other view points. Your response was very well stated, and I appreciate that you shared and I learned a little about history from it which gave me a better understanding of what Brian was trying to say.

• Political manuevers says:

Have you noticed how all the republicans wanna get rid of Berger and all the Democrats wanna keep him? The repubs want him out so the voter can forget how bad this guy is before next years election, and the dems want him around to do just that…to remind people that elections have consequences and the ultra right tea party failed to vet this wacko. All in all, if he goes, the same old partisanship starts because the repubs will have an opportunity to replace him I think. Just like Brunswick County, Charles Warren should go and in each case…regardless of party, the next highest vote getter should be seated. Tired of the partisanship maneuvering.

• GuestK says:

“”I’m not one for making scenes, and I don’t like drama, but the law is the law, and America is a nation of laws not men,” Berger said after leaving the meeting.”

Now, that statement made me laugh until I cried.

#1: He doesn’t like making scenes? Well, what the heck was that at the DSS meeting? He knew he was voted off the board, yet here he comes, EARLY at that, and sits down in a seat he no longer belongs to just to make a point?

#2: He’s the bigging drama king I have seen in a long time. Buy some popcorn and soda and enjoy the show folks.

#3: Ummmm, excuse me, but America is a nation of men AND women who wrote the laws. I don’t know about you, but I feel the laws were written for us all to guard our liberties, protect us from harm, and prosecute those who have broken them. In what way does removing someone who is distracting to the DSS board by their habitual tardy manner change that? You know, if I was habitually late to work, I would be let go. There are plenty of people out there that would gladly take my place and make sure they are on time.

• SurfCityTom says:

and Mr. Berger having no apparent visible means of support other than his Commissioner salary & unemployment benefits, one would have thought he would find some meaningful employment, even though it might have been seasonal and temporary.

Dress up Santa at one of the malls.

Christmas tree sales lot attendant.

Package wrapper at Belks.

Kennel attendant, caring for owners’ pets while they are away.

I could go on; but you get the idea.

Valentine’s Day is coming. Let’s hope he finds something to occupy his time and mind before he chases after former girl friends, again.

Mr., what part of “NO” don’t you understand?

AS Forest Gump said stupid is as stupid does

• TTT says:

As much as I despise Mr. Berger, he did manage the reference correctly, as John Adams proposed our new found nation to be one of laws and not of men. This was to relieve us from the tyranny of the Kingship of England which was based upon a nation of men. “In 1776, the notion that no one is above the law was popular during the founding of the United States, for example Thomas Paine wrote in his pamphlet Common Sense that “in America, the law is king. For as in absolute governments the King is law, so in free countries the law ought to be king; and there ought to be no other. In 1780, John Adams enshrined this principle in the Massachusetts Constitution by seeking to establish “a government of laws and not of men.”

Change just for change’s sake are not always good. Bill Caster doesn’t look so bad now…..

• Wow... says:

“I’m not one for making scenes, and I don’t like drama” says Berger

• Guest@rest.com says:

Berger is nutty! However, the Teddy Davis “led” bullies (a/k/a the County Clowns) are playing games by acting like hall monitors, arranging seating charts, and excluding the other elected “nut”. The Commissioners are all hypocrites. The entire board should be booted out of office and driven away. Any nuts seeking other office (such as Rick “Cover-Up the dirty water” Catlin) deserve no more votes. Some board members seem to be seeking publicity, power, and money for themselves.

• Straight Shooter says:

Our local Republican delegation should step in and fix this mistake before things get even worse!

• KrisC says:

Berger needs to go.

• ChefnSurf says:

Guess I missed the “t” key when typing the word “political”. Gratified that someone was able to determine what the word was without the “t”. Almost didn’t recognize the word myself because of the brackets you put around it. Nice to know we have someone in our community willing to be so helpful.
    Mr. Berger is responsible for his actions and is subject to critique based on what he has chosen to do. That’s called having an opinion. Mr. Berger is not responsible for the tone of his voice or his appearance. Making derogatory remarks about someone’s physical characteristics is being a bully. Period.
    Perhaps this example will help you on your road to enlightenment: If I was to make fun of you simply because your ego is three times the size of your ability to think rationally, I would be a bully. That wouldn’t be fair because you obviously can’t help that. That’s why I chose not to say that to you. It just wouldn’t be fair.

• Grand Ole Party says:

So now the uneducated, works at a four man PD, and wanna be cop thinks he is smart enough to correct someone else’s spelling? It took you months to figure out the proper use of the four letter word YOUR. Hahaha. Stay in leland WANNABE. We have no use for you else where. Say’s who? Say’s kblue don’t have a clue!!!

• GuestUsed2B99x says:

Kblue, you have done a spectacular job as a citizen journalist keeping the doings in the Leland PD in the forefront of attention!

I’m very pleased to see you taking an interest in life over here on the east side of the river.

• kblue2221984 says:

You are my hero baby girl!!!Say’s who? Say’s Kblue!

The only reason Berger showed up early this time is because he was hoping to get a seat at the board table before anyone else could beat him to it. He thought if he was seated, it would be harder to get rid of him. I think he forgot the sheriff was going to be there.

• kblue2221984 says:

Are you serious right now? Be a bully but not a bully? “more than capable of incorporating no small amount of irony into his ongoing “(polical)”<——-“Political”? soap opera? So by bullying his caricature it makes it okay? Wow you have gone down in history as the quickest Kblue moron in history! Congrats! You are King Dumb Dumb!….Anyone you want to thank? Say’s who? Say’s Kblue!

• GuestUsed2B99x says:

Kblue, I think a new word has been discovered. Polical which may be seen as a contracted merger of the words political and comical.

• kblue2221984 says:

You’ll notice 2B that most make it very easy……Say’s who? Say’s Kblue!

• Kbluefan4life says:

Although I like when people do it? I would suggest not replying…..You will only get your feelings hurt. Kblue? WE LOVE YOU!!!!!

What principles??? He has done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but bring shame to our county. He has argued for transparency which he, himself, does not have. He never disclosed this ghost company he runs nor did he mention the fact he was still wrongfully drawing unemployment. Berger wanted to get rid of the corruption and will fight the fight against the good ol’ boy network. He’s been in office 1 year and has yet to come out with any evidence of corruption or back room deals. What he has done is make numerous unsubstantiated allegations against other elected officials (judges included) that has done nothing but bring shame on our county commissioners and county. This man is 5 leafs shy of a 4 leaf clover and should be thrown in jail.

• Straight Shooter says:

He has NO successful background, he does not answer any questions directly. He repeats the same old rhetoric and lies over and over again about others with NO proof. He takes NO responsibility for his own stupid actions! So how does anyone really know where this NUT-JOB stands!

One thing is for sure, the VAST MAJORITY of this county NOW wants him to step down and GO AWAY before things get worse! We have had enough of this IDIOT!

• Guesto says:

Where or when has he gone against the grain? On what big important decisions have the other 4 commissioners voted for something and him against it?

• Ken says:

Berger says the County Commissioners cannot legally remove him from a board to which they appointed him. I am of the opinion that if he was appointed to the boards he serves on then the same source that appointed him can remove him, however, if he was elected by a majority of the County Commissioners to serve on a board then it should also take that same majority to remove him. I think Mr. Berger has a bigger prroblem. He has often publically spoken of or made accusations of corruption in local government without offering any support for them. He claims confidentually prevents him from further addressing the issue. If that does indeed prevent him from further addressing corruption, then he could find himself in a legal pickle with other County Commissioners.

• kblue2221984 says:

I swear to god the only thing missing is Jeff Dunham pulling this dummy’s mouth cord! He already looks and sounds like peanut driving down a bumpy road huffing helium! NO ONE LIKES YOU!!!! Except the 3 people you pay to come to the meetings to say “Yay Brian” as they remove the gum from under the seat in front of them!! Do me a favor Peanut! When you “come down on them like a hammer on a nail” Stuff that pointy melon in between the nail and hammer!! NERD!!!Say’s who? Say’s Kblue!

• ChefnSurf says:

Virtually everyone except Mr. Berger himself reaizes he’s a train wreck. Virtually everyone except Mr Berger himself has something negative to say about him and for some very good reasons … BUT … Attacking the way his voice sounds or the way he looks is simply the wrong thing to do. It has no bearing on the issues at hand and at best could only be described as mean sprited behavior. Please, don’t be a “K-bully”.

On another note: Mr Berger certainly seems more than capable of incorporating no small amount of irony into his ongoing polical soap opera. Now that he’s no longer on this board he shows up early. Perhaps if the commisioners had removed him at an earlier date he would have been on time more often.

• GuestUsed2B99x says:

Kblue, sorry to disagree. Brian’s three person claque wasn’t removing gum from under the seats. They were pounding farts from the seat cushions.

• Das Weibstück says:

Same reason he wouldn’t leave his ex G/f alone. He cant handle rejection and refuses to believe the truth.

Why would anyone want to stay on a board where they are not wanted by the overwhelming majority? That it itself would make that person ineffective and useless as a board member.

He doesn’t and never did fit into the good ol’ boy network. Berger has his faults and has acted like an idiot, but he was elected on his principles. Aside from his crazy personal life that everyone wants to beat on, he simply goes against the grain of the other commissioners crooked crap. He ruined that for himself and the other commishs have simply used that to take the heat of the spotlight off of their antics.

Amazing that the only time that he isn’t late is when he shows up to make a scene.

• Professor says:

Mr. Berger:

You need professional medical and mental help and you should do yourself a favor and resign so you can concentrate on getting that help. If you want to do what is right for the citizens of NHC, especially those who voted for you, then resign and check yourself into a hospital or a rehab facility. Then try to live a peaceful fulfilling life where you respect boundaries. Acting like a spoiled brat is not setting a good example for anyone. The world does not revolve around you.

Do it now!

• The Ham Bergler says:

I went to the drive thru the other day and ordered a big ole half pounder with all the fixins… drove off to a nice quiet spot and low and behold, I had a sloppy, slimey bun with rotten onions and no Berger! Worst part is I didn’t realize till after the first bite so I was left with rotten onion mouth for days! I couldn’t help but draw the comparison here… Berger is like a hamberger with no meat and rotton smelly toppings. NHC ordered a rotten smelly no meat Berger and now has had onion mouth ever since.

• GuestUsed2B99x says:

Well, sorry some of you think my “phhhhhharrrttttt” humor is the offense du jour. I went WWAY “over the line” with some humor while the topic is a dysfunctional county commission.

Our village has two idiots, thanks for identifying yourselves.

Just as I’ve been told, if you don’t like what you read here, LEAVE.

There’s no call for a filthy mouth on this! You’re disgusting!

It’s a shame that someone from WWAY didn’t block this from the forum. Disgusting post.

WWAY, I blame you more than I do this moron. You had the ability to prevent this from posting, but you didn’t. He passed WAY over the line.

How old are you? 13? You sound like a spoiled brat.

Your offensive rudeness on this forum is just as dysfunctional as Berger’s behavior. You shouldn’t say a thing about his behavior until you clean up your own. What you think is cute, others think as vulgar and impolite.

“To disregard what the world thinks of us is not only arrogant, but utterly shameless.” Marcus T. Cicero

Only an idiot would call this “humor”. I agree, you’re disgusting.

Next time you’re out in public, when you need to go to the men`s room, you will see a sign that says, “Gentlemen.” Pay no heed to it. Go right on in.

• GuestInTruth says:

You’re way too generous with the “13”. I was thinking more like 10.

• My_Opinion says:

You hit the nail on the head with that one!

• Mike T says:

I have counted more than 120 and there may be more blogs on this clown since last Wed. I think he is getting exactly what he wants!!! It might be time to bundle this child up and put him to bed. Let him start paying for his advertising and see how much noise he makes. Merry Christmas to all!!!

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

If the County Commissioners have the authority to appoint you, they intuitively have the authority to REMOVE you.

Had you sat your psychotic butt down in the gallery as a public observer and kept your mouth shut, they could not have legally ejected you.

Let’s fire Berger, Davis, Catlin, Barfield, & Thompson. They are all hypocrites. Term limits for those bozos!