Moms make statement by breastfeeding in Target

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 12/28/2011 - 5:58pm
Updated: Thu, 12/29/2011 - 1:06pm By:

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Shoppers of a popular department store across the country had an interesting sight this morning. Mothers went to their local Target stores, including here in Wilmington, for a nurse-in.

This national “nurse-in” all started with one woman in Houston, but moms sent the message here in Wilmington that it is OK to breastfeed in public.

“If you like to feed your baby in public, it should be OK,” Rica Stinson said. “It’s best for baby. It’s best for mom.”

Stinson is one of the more than a dozen Cape Fear mothers who greeted Target guests as they entered the store Wednesday morning.

This nurse-in was just one of many across the nation, as a show of support for the Texas mom who claims she was hassled by Target employees for feeding her baby.

“That’s one of the reason we’re here is to offer our services to educate employees and other people and let them know that you can’t treat people that way,” Stinson said.

Mom Emily Barnhill, “It takes a lot of mother and mother support, and even though none of us know the mother in Texas, it’s just a matter of everyone kind of pulling together and saying it is OK, don’t feel bad about it and everyone has to feed their babies.”

Target welcomed demonstrations like this one in Wilmington. The store has made it clear to mothers that its policy has always supported breastfeeding

“As a family-oriented retailer, Target has always supported breastfeedings and mothers that choose to do so,” store manager Matt Merritt said. “Any mother in our facilities can do that, and that is our policy. We welcome it and are certainly open to it.”

While these mothers are all for nursing in public, a few shoppers who did not want to go on-camera did not agree with the practice. But other shoppers who are also moms applaud the national nurse-in.

“They’re just trying to feed their babies,” shopper Becky Graves said. “Just like you’re hungry and you eat a snack — you’re out in public. You have you’re baby, you have to feed them when they’re hungry.”

Another mother, Holly Bigness, said, “I love breastfeeding. He’s my second that I have nursed, and it’s ready and available any time any where they need to feed. You always got it with you. There’s no bottles to juggle or formula to mix.”

Despite the turnout, every mother we spoke with at the nurse-in said they have never run into a problem breastfeeding at the Target store here in Wilmington.

• DML80 says:

Not everyone can get enough milk using a pump to feed their baby. Some women don’t get the ‘let down’ while using a pump and that means no milk or next to no milk will come out. All these people that are so uncomfortable watching a mother breast feed her baby, WHY IN THE HECK ARE YOU WATCHING THEN??? Turn your head away and quit gawking. It’s as simple as that.

• just me says:

i dont what to think about all the comments nor the story itself. I have two children that were breast fed. And sorry, if i was out doing errands, they were fed where ever we were. But my breasts were never exposed. I used blankets to give myself and my child more privacy. I have never seen a woman just pop her boob out for the world to see. I have been asked before to please use a restroom to nurse which offended me because bathrooms are nasty. But i got over it. I think there is common sense to everything, but its not very common any more. I went out of my way not to make a scene or make anyone uncomfortable, but thats just me

• Guest1946 says:

I guess it is safe to assume that all the women who got their undies in a wad over breast feeding never wear skimpy bathing suits in the Summer with their puppies hanging out.

• Das Weibstück says:

…BREAST PUMP !! Use one so you don’t have to whip your girls out in public. My Gawd, its simple and safe to use.

• Guest99x says:

I enjoy feeding in public because it stirs up people.

• GuestUsed2Bx99 says:

I don’t mind if people look at me when I breast feed.

• GuestUhHuh says:

That’s because you’re an exhibitionist, and it’s all about YOU. It’s supposed to be about bonding with your baby.

• cynthia says:

I breast fed my kids, but don’t believe it should be done in public. Maybe you don’t mind people looking at you, but many feel uncomfortable seeing you. I would think you would want to respect their rights too. It doesn’t take much to go where you are in private to nurse.

Target will do anything to make a damn dollar and this proves it!!!

• dylan says:

The times they are a changin

but if this Target store in ILM did nothing wrong, this was more of a look at me type of thing.

• Guest Reply says:

I don’t believe this happened. Show us a closeup photograph of this happening since it is Ok and all!

• TheRealGuest99x says:

I guess that getting your name hijacked and mis-used on this forum is a compliment around here. I am quite honored that you would think to do this.

Remember, if you are going to use my name, I like to write in complete sentences using correct rules of grammar and punctuation.

Your comments, fraudulently written under my “pen name” are so puerile and crass that I wouldn’t even think of nominating them for a booby prize.

• Guest2012 says:

Lady GaGa, so this is what I would expect. Her own mother must be so proud of teaching her a very self-centric value system, no modesty,and weird battles to fight!
    But…they must be so proud of themselves for sitting on the dirty FLOOR of a stupid store to make a really STUPID point.
    Gee, Mothers are sure wacco’s these days.

• Heather says:

People seem to forget the reason women have breasts is to produce milk to feed their babies. Why do people have to make such a big deal out of something that is a womens god given right to do. Newborn babies have to eat every 3 hours. Are we supposed to not leave the house for 6 months. If my baby is hungry, I’ll feed him whenever and wherever I am. If I can tolerate people smoking their nasty cigerettes around me and others speaking profanity like it’s common everyday language then everyone else can get over my little man eating his dinner. Other countries have war, hunger and disease and we’re concerned about public nursing!! God Bless America!!!

“Excretion” is a normal process as is breastfeeding a baby. So, does this mean everyone can just drop their pants wherever they are and do their thing or would you prefer people take care of their buisness in private? I mean as long as they aren’t fully exposed of course! Exactly! Breast pumps and bottles are made for a reason and so are coolers to put ready-made bottles to keep them cool. Too cold for baby,they even make bottle warmers! Seriously, you just want attention because you can get it this way. Yes, I breast fed my children and I didn’t have to do it in public.

• Guest99x says:

You wish you were me.

I’ve told you to stop trying to be me.

• Squinsey says:

This was an interesting story.  I was in Target in Gig Harbor 2 years ago with my daughter and 10 month old grandchild and the same thing happened.  She was breast feeding, totally coveredup, a Target employyee approached her and asked if she would like to use a dressing room for “that”.

I told the employee that wouldnt be necessary. It was such a weird interaction.  I wonder if Target employees are trained to steer breast feeding mothers to dressing rooms?

Sue Q

• Marion says:

A billion years ago (like maybe, in the 20th century), it used to be considered impolite to EAT in public. At all. Anyone – baby, adult, or in between.
    I figure, this was because a) polite people should be able to control themselves and delay gratification, and b) it’s very rude to flaunt what others may lack. So:
    — there may be hungry people in the room with no access to food, but you feel like eating, so you go ahead without thinking of relieving their need by sharing.
    — there may be lonely, solitary people longing to touch a woman’s body – anyone’s body! – who will be distressed by your actions – but you want to feed your baby HERE and NOW, so you whip out a part of your body that you would be offended if a stranger touched, and give suck.

As I understand the story, the employees offered the nursing mother a room with a couch, but no, she wanted to sit on the floor in the middle of the store. This isn’t Breastfeeder’s Rights – this is exhibitionism!

• Lori hayes 2216 says:

This world is full of perverts and it doesn’t take much to make them go off. What I worry about is some Sicko watching this and getting aroused and waiting and maybe attacking the woman. And then you have the children. Some parents may not be so open minded and talk to their kids about it so this lets kids minds maybe go where they shouldn’t. I just think it would be more appropriate and safer that if you have to feed your baby just cover up. Its best to be safe than sorry

• GuestYep says:

If they aren’t, they should be.

• GuestReality says:

Breasts aren’t ONLY to produce milk to feed babies. They are also made for enticement of the opposite sex. If a man sees a female breast, they’re going to automatically think sex. It’s just their male nature. Why subject yourself and your baby to perverted thoughts and perhaps even comments?

Newborns have to eat every 3 hours or so. If you feed them before you leave home, you have 3 hours to go out and about before baby gets hungry again. Three hours out with baby is enough. That baby doesn’t need to be dragged out all over the county because mama wants to shop. And they don’t need to be exposed to the “nasty” cigarettes and cursing either, so take them home. After some dinner, and a short nap, baby should be good to go for another 3 hours, if you’re so inclined. Why make a spectacle out of yourself unless you like the attention?

That’s OK, Guest99x. Those who know your posts knew that this wasn’t you. The imposter didn’t fool anybody.

Somebody hijacked my name too, so I finally changed it. I guess it happens to everybody sooner or later, if you don’t register. Like you said, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

• FunnyCommentGuy says:

Do they allow breastfeeding at Hooters? Perhaps the next event like this would be even bigger if it were to be held there.

• anne says:

Yes Mom you have the right to breastfeed your baby in public if you choose to do so. And yes, Mom, I have the right to be offended if I choose to do so. Rights go both ways dearie! I have no problem with it – just cover up because many of us aren’t interested in watching you. Unfortunately there are some out there that will be watching for the wrong reasons you know?! Not only that, if you are in an area where there are other children present, you need to realize that some parents may not be comfortable with their children watching. Just use common sense instead of getting all offended about it. After all, the child is what is important – not you.

Oh by the way, hope you like being used by Target for their own free advertisements!!!!!!!!!

• guest111 says:

Ok, you silly women who are trying to yell your statements and rights!!! I have four words for you so you can go in public and do your thing. BREAST PUMP AND BOTTLE!! AND. . . TARGET SELLS THEM… SO THERE, PROBLEM SOLVED. . . OR WOULD YOU JUST RATHER SHOW YOUR BOOB??

• mandy says:

not all babies eat like robots…

• GuestReality says:

That’s the best you got? “Not all babies eat like robots”? That statement was hardly worth the time you took to type it.

It’s called time management….obviously something you know nothing about.

• Guest 20 says:

Will you please stop flattering me?

• Guest Lee says:

Seeing Target endorse breastfeeding in their stores will be the very reason that keeps me away from them. I won’t go in a store that allows this kind of exhibitionism. I’ll take my business elsewhere. I won’t have this forced down my throat.

• Guest Lee says:

Funny…I don’t see a single woman in the above picture (from the article) breastfeeding. Wonder why? If they’re so convinced they are right, why don’t they just pose for a nice picture for the media?

Wonder how many sex offenders and pervs show up to watch. Use some common sense. Need to be careful these days!!!! Just saying…

• Guest Lee says:

You should have let your daughter answer, since the question was directed to her and not to you. If it felt like a weird interaction, perhaps your daughter and the salesperson both felt embarrassed with how you responded to the suggestion.

Your daughter is a grown up with a child; she should learn how to handle her own battles without mom jumping in.

• WilmingtonMAJ says:

Keep them at HOME! I can assure you, the people who don’t have to see you whip out your funbags for the brat, or hear a screaming child…will thank you!

This comment is for Target. I didn’t come in the day these silly girls lined the entrance to Target to make their point. It’s such a good thing, too. I probably would have gotten very vocal about the whole embarrassing thing. But hear this. I go to Target a lot. I fell out of love with Walmart months ago. However, If Target ever pulls a stunt like this again I will never enter their parking lot again. Leave these silly issues for the street corner.

Set the time and place and I’ll be there with bells on. Been there, done that, survived it and NOT ONE DAMN STRANGER SAW MY BOOB. I can’t help but wonder what the husbands think of their wives showing their breasts in public, KNOWING men of all kinds are gawking. Maybe they are whipped and just keep quiet.

You need someone to teach you how to manage your time. If you pump then leave for chores you shouldn’t be out half the day doing that with a young child. The milk can be put in bottles and stored in a bottle holder in your carry bag for the baby. After being out a normal amount of time with a young one you will be headed home before the girls get so uncomfortable. Stop whining, step up, be a woman and learn how to handle your days. Good grief little girl. Are you sure you are able to take care of a child by yourself? By the way, I’m a grandmother who has taken care of kids for years and now, at an older age, I’m doing it again. Stop whining and grow up.

• Heather says:

For all of you that think the pump is the answer think about this..
    When can you pump milk out your breasts? When they are full of milk.
    When are they full of milk? Around the time your baby is hungry.
    So when i feed my baby, you expect me to also pump some out and keep it cold so i can then have to warm it up later when he is hungry just so i can go out for errands. And by the time i can give him that bottle, guess what, the girls are full of milk again. Its got to go somewhere, should I take my pump with me and do that in public? It’s not pretty!!!

• GuestM says:

“Not all babies eat like robots” was pretty self-explanatory. Every baby is different. Some eat less quantity more frequently, some eat more quantity, spit up half of it, and then need to eat again in an hour or so. There are lots of different feeding schedules. Just because the average says every 3 hours doesn’t mean that every single baby is going to be the same.
    When the baby’s hungry, pull out a nursing cover and feed the baby. I’m not such a fan of going uncovered, but that’s what nursing covers are for. No one should have to stay home for 6 months; it’s not good for baby or mom.
    Food for thought: some people live far enough away from stores where they will need to feed the baby while they’re out. Here in Montana lots of people live 30 minutes away from the nearest grocery store. If mom feeds baby and heads out the door with a list and completely prepared, the trip still might take longer than 3 hours. Being out with baby will most likely present some unexpected events that can’t be planned in advance as well such as spitting up.
    If anyone is being selfish in this whole debate it’s the people who are telling mom to stay in the house like a hermit for 6 months. Moms who choose to nurse their babies during that special time of their babies life shouldn’t be required to pump and heat bottles or live like hermits just because others are insensitive.

• brendle99 says:

Just take with you Mommy, I’m always hungry.

• GuestAmazed says:

Why does everything have to be in public for you? Now you’re talking breast pump in public too?

I never had to use a breast pump. Proper planning was all that was needed when I was breastfeeding my babies. If you would stay home once in a while instead of gallivanting all over Wilmington, maybe you could figure out a plan. But I realize shopping must take up a greater part of your days.

You know, where there’s a will, there’s a way. All it takes is a little planning ahead and putting someone else first besides yourself, but I do realize that seems to be a foreign concept for you. This is just another excuse to justify laziness and self-centeredness. You really need to think about growing up.

This article is ridiculous!!!!!

“My son is almost 18 months and still nurses quite frequently – some days more than when he was an infant!”

18months?? He is walking at this point!!!!! STOP!!!!!! This article really did nt help the cause of someones point.

I am a woman and I think it is sweet that you can bond with your baby…but I truly don’t want to see it. Use a cover and stop trying to prove what “good” mother you are….

You are NOT if you are flaunting the “funbags” in public!!!!

• Guest Lee says:

Really…who wants to watch you use a breat pump in public? Believe it or not, there are plenty of women who have never had to use one. They just make their baby their number one priority instead of running all over town. They make sure that baby is fed before they leave home, and they return three hours later to feed it again. They plan their days around that baby’s needs, not their own. Novel concept, huh?

• C. Andrews says:

It’s just an inconsiderate thing to do when you’re in public. My wife breastfeeds our 4-month-old, but she wouldn’t dream of doing it in public. Not only does she not want to expose herself to the world, but she doesn’t want to make other people around her uncomfortable. Believe it or not, not everyone wants to see an intimate part of your anatomy. If we’re in public and the baby is hungry, we either make sure we have a bottle we can heat up, or my wife goes to a private place to nurse — like the back seat of the car, which has tinted windows.

A little common courtesy goes a long way.

Finally a Dad responds who is level headed. This man I can support. He has the b**** to say he doesn’t want his wife to show the public her breast. Gals, you need to read this, and so does your spouse, if you have one. Follow his lead and see if you can improve your behavior in public.

• Guest Lee says:

Your post is confusing. First, when you talk about how you did it, you sound like you’re in favor of it. Then when you start talking about husband’s gawking, you sound like you’re against it. I’m curious…which is it?

Breastfeeding is natural. It should be done when and where it needs to be done. But please be courteous and discreet. What is so difficult about using a bib, blanket, clothing, to avoid unnecessary exposure.

When public smoking was prevalent, particularly on aircraft, I always thought, ‘Every time you breathe your smoke on me, I’ll spit some of my cola on you. Perhaps you’ll eventually make the connection and see how unreasonable you’re being.’

The point? If you’re acting as an exhibitionist, don’t be surprised or complain when someone whips out their penis in your face simply because they can, after-all, you invited it.

• SurfCityTom says:

Ruth’s Chris?

I’ve already had my appetite spoiled at Roy’s Riverboat Landing by such a display.

Sorry but some things are not meant for public display.

If they can do this, then Gentlemen’s Clubs should be abe to install outdoor stages and poles for public entertainment.

• Heather says:

Breasts were created for feeding babies, not to fill your sexual appetite. You are a sick man for thinking of a baby eating as something sexual.

Please go on and try to tell me this isn’t what you were trying to say, because it very much was.

• hungry says:

All your post show how ignorant you are….you didn’t let anybody down with this one either.

Breast feeding is great but there is a time and place for everything. A woman pulling her bare breast out in public is WRONG! And I can give you an example. I was sitting in a waiting area while my car was being serviced. A woman across from me pulled her breast out and began feeding. A man next to me started squirming around and he OBVIOUSLY!!! was very much enjoying the display and he wasn’t trying to hide the fact he was aroused. I got up and left the room and waited outside. That’s the problem with baring breasts in public. You are going to have this reaction and it’s sick. If it’s so special to a Mom then she should go to a quiet area where she and her child can bond during this process. It’s not necessary to involve the public in it.

Let’s get this straight… you think that the nursing baby was less appropriate than the man who was “obviously aroused” by it?? What is our society coming to?

• GuestDisagree says:

Nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public? That’s your opinion, not a fact. The majority of posters on this forum disagree with you. Take the time to read ALL the comments and you will see that, unless you have your blinders on.

“If you can eat in front of people, so can a baby.” That’s just an asinine statement. Most people don’t eat in front of others with a teat stuck in their mouth. Get real.

• Catherine says:

Feeding my baby is selfish? Are you serious? If a man gets turned on by watching a baby eat, he needs to see a therapist. If you think peeing in public is comparable to feeding a baby the way God intended, you need to educate yourself.

• GuestAmazed says:

She wasn’t saying feeding your baby is selfish, but I’m sure you already know that. She was saying that the attention you’re trying to receive from doing that is what’s selfish. But you know that too.

• WilliamSmith says:

I really have a hard time seeing the comparison between a man’s genitals and a womans breast. If she were urinating and exposing her genitalia that would be the same. So you are comparing grapefruit to bananas. Doesn’t really work for me.

On this selfish part you spoke of in your post. If you are worried about YOU being offended and demanding someone to stop, wouldn’t that be selfish of you?

• Brooke says:

There is nothing wrong with Breastfeeding in public. If you can eat in front of people, so can a baby. Breastfeeding is natural. To think otherwise is pure ignorance. Breastmilk the best food for all babies.
    Bottom line, trying to make people feel bad about feeding their baby is selfish.

OK, I’m all for breastfeeding, but not in public. I certainly don’t want to have to contend with this in any store I walk into. If I had walked into Target this morning and seen this, I would have turned around and walked right back out. Target would have lost my business.

Feed your babies at home. It should be several hours before they’re hungry again, and you don’t need to be keeping your baby out shopping for hours and hours anyway. Not everyone wants to see a breast hanging out in public. Some things should just not be done in public.

• stay at home DAD says:

Obviously you have no children. Sometimes it is extremely difficult to complete all of your necessary chores in a single day. What if you have multiple children? You just stay home forever? The milk doesn’t flow forever…a person may have to feed different children at different times.

I’m a 30 something guy with no kids. Had I walked in Target today and saw the women breastfeeding their kids I would have kept walking to find whatever item I had come there to find and went about my business just like those women were tending to theirs, albeit through an organized event. I simply don’t see the big deal, I really don’t. Some of the comments on here and the comparison to other bodily functions are simply ignorant comments that are comparing apples to oranges.
    I’m not turned on by a woman breastfeeding her child, I don’t care. Even if a woman chooses not to cover her child or her breast while doing so my response is still the same..Who cares?? A woman’s bare breasts are not considered nudity under North Carolina law so other than “offending” some people’s prudish sense of what’s proper and appropriate what is the actual issue?
    Three words….”Get over it”

Perhaps those people who think I shouldn’t breastfeed in public would rather listen to my baby screaming because he feels hungry. Since I’m not a big fan of crying babies, particularly my own, I will continue to breastfeed whenever and wherever I want to. If you don’t like it, don’t look.

• WilmingtonMAJ says:

Well the next time I need to use the bathroom, would you mind if I did that in public? Maybe right in an aisle in target? It’s all a natural body function right?

Typical rude and crude comments from someone who doesn’t give a damn about anyone else but herself and her own family. What a shame your baby has to grow up in that environment. You’ll probably be one of those women who allows their baby to scream at restaurants too when it gets older, and ruin everyone else’s quiet dinner. Way to go, mom.

If your baby is screaming because it’s hungry, take it home and feed it, for God’s sake. Other people shouldn’t have to be subjected to your screaming baby because you’re too lazy and selfish to take it home and tend to it. If you’re not a fan of crying babies…hey, maybe you shouldn’t have had one.

• RSimmons says:

How in God’s name can feeding a baby be considered offensive?

If a woman is afraid that her man may be aroused by the sight of a woman breast feeding a baby, maybe she needs some to stay away from KFC and the soap operas. Instead she should do some Zumba and get a make over to keep her dog from wandering off the porch.

You are more about YOUR RIGHT TO BREAST FEED IN PUBLIC than you are about the child bonding with you. I think that’s been referred to as someone who enjoys showing their body.

• L.M. says:

The type of public breastfeeding I’m fine with is when a woman is discreet about it and covers herself. That shows modesty and consideration for others. I know some are disturbed by the noises one hears when a baby is feeding, but I think it is no different than when seated beside a child using a straw. Children can be quite noisy with them, but I don’t mind.

Well said doubledown…well said.

• privately says:

Good Point! Hooter Hiders work well. Mothers can also pump to prepare a meal for baby before leaving home. I am a breastfeeding Mom that is most comfortable nursing my baby privately.

• Mack says:

The comments of those readers opposing breastfeeding in public are amazing in their lack of common sense, especially those who compare breastfeeding to urinating or defecating. The comparison only works if you are…full of c_r*a-p! Seriously, folks, infants need to nurse frequently (every one to three hours) and a nursing mom shouldn’t have to great lengths to feed her child. As a husband of a (former) breastfeeding mother, I fully supported her in providing the healthiest nutrition to our children. Low breastfeeding rates are a huge public health issue…just Google breastfeeding and public health. Then, come back and tell us how you would restrict breastfeeding and how you would justify the impact on the health of infants.

• doubledown says:

A lot of flawed logic going on in these moms’ heads… follow that logic through with other “natural acts,” and you have toilets in the middle of the aisles and urinals in every corner. After all, those are natural, healthy acts, too right?

I have a wife who is currently breastfeeding and she operates under societal norms for decency and uses a hooter-hider if/when her privacy may be compromised.

It’s not about should or shouldn’t, it’s about time and place. Yes if you’re hungry, you eat. But you don’t eat just *anywhere.* In fact there are even places that tell you food or drink is not permitted but there are no “eat ins” at those locations are there? You’re hungry, you sit down at a table and order food. You have to use the bathroom, you go to a restroom. Or how about malls that provide breastfeeding rooms?? Should they be protested because they’re telling women to breastfeed in private?

Beware the can of worms you open, bitter moms. I may just set up a portable urinal or bring a sloppy joe’s to the middle of the women’s clothing section of my local Target.

• Brooke says:

It doesn’t matter what others say against it. Breastmilk is the best thing for babies. And Breastfeeding has been going on for much, much, much longer than bottle feeding. Why is that? Because breasts are built-in bottles. That is their purpose.

Feeding my son is not selfish. If I were to force him to wait to eat just to avoid someone getting a glimpse of my boob, THAT would be selfish. I feed my son because I am a good mother, and I want what’s best for my baby.
    And no, I can’t just not go out. Doctors appointments 3 times a month, grocery shopping, and days out for fresh air are very important. For both my health, and my son.

No matter what weak excuses you try to make against me feeding my baby, I will still feed my son.

• Catherine says:

I’m going to assume that you have nothing better to do than try to stir up drama. Your way of attacking mothers proves that you would rather try to hurt someone’s feelings than prove a valid point. You have obviously never breastfed a child. It can be more painful than childbirth. It can leave you with scars, torn bloody nipples, and horrible infections. It is a very very selfless act. For you to say that we are selfish just makes me giggle.

• GuestReally says:

I’m just trying to make my point, not stir up drama. That’s apparently your job. And I’m not trying to attack mothers (I’m one myself) or hurt anyones feelings (although you seem to be trying to hurt mine, which you failed miserably).

I breast fed all three of my children. Unlike these women who so love to call attention to themselves and flaunt their “selflessness”, I chose to be selfless in private and not seek out others visual approval (“Oh, look at me…aren’t I wonderful and selfless syndrome”). There are some women who just do it and don’t seek credit for it. That’s the ones who are truly selfless.

Giggle all you want. It fits right in with your selfish, immature, narcissitic exhibitionism.

• GuestReally says:

I agree that breast milk is best. I just don’t agree that it’s best to breast feed in public.

Make all the excuses you want, but feeding your baby out in public shows that you’re a poor planner and put your own needs ahead of your baby’s. Don’t you think that baby would rather have a bonding time with mom instead of mommy walking between racks trying to pick out the lastest styles?

Nobody said anything about not going out at all. But if you feed your baby at home, then go out for 3 hours, that’s enough time to be out dragging that baby around town. I had three kids, so you can’t tell me a thing about doctor’s appointments, grocery shopping and needing fresh air that I don’t already know. But the bonding time (and some sense of modesty) was more important to me that dragging my baby around town.

Healthy? How healthy is it to expose your baby to all the germs around town from people who might be carrying the flu or viruses or who knows what else? It’s healthier to keep your baby home when you feed, especially the first year.

It would help if you grew up some so that you can teach your baby how to grow up. You can’t help your baby grow up if you’re a baby yourself.

• Heather McNeill says:

Here is a link I completely and utterly believe in.

• Guest2012 says:

There’s a Link for EVERYTHING imaginable, we already KNOW that, you didn’t have to “utter” a word. But, I understand how you must perceive yourself.

• Guest Mikton Waddams says:

You mean udderly?

Absolutely. “Nursing in public helps re-normalize breastfeeding as the biologically optimal means of feeding a baby, and of comforting and nurturing a toddler or young child who no longer needs breastmilk for nutrition.”

Thank you for passing along that article.

• Timothy says:

Here are my thoughts on this. Although seeing a woman breast feeding is a little uncomfortable to see out in a public place, I completely understand why they are doing it. The ONLY issue I have is when women do it purposely to prove a point. If its time to feed the baby, then feed him/her but do not make it a point to be in a crowded place just so you can prove to everyone that your breast feeding in public. The people on here claiming exhibitionism arejust plain ignorant. I have not once, seen a breast feeding mother walk around flaunting their boob while feeding and while most try to cover it up( some what) you can see more of a boob at the beach nowadays. Bottom line here is if you are uncomfortable, STOP LOOKING!!

• Wade Griffis says:

I am an old man and have a few old ideas. I would say this- if you have a problem seeing a little bit of a womans breast- then you really have a problem.

• Maggie says:

What ever happened to the good old days when the mother would pump bottles of milk and carry them in a bag, just in the case the baby got hungry in public?

Most of these women look the same. Get my picture???They think that they are special, and on top of that, they are nasty.

If a pervert followed them back to the car and asked for a little bit of bonding with her and her milk jugs, it would be all over the news.

Be discreet!! Don’t flop your big nasty boob out in public for the world to see just because you think that you are special.

I certainly don’t compare breastfeeding to urinating or defecating, and I agree only an ignorant person would do so. Breastfeeding is a wonderful experience for both mother and child, and should be encouraged. However, I do believe breastfeeding should be done in private, without an audience. That’s a special time for mom and baby to bond. Most of these moms are just dragging their babies along while they go out for hours shopping and could care less about the bonding part.

If they feed their child at home, the baby should be good for at least 2-3 hours before the next feeding. That’s long enough to be out with a small baby anyway. That’s shopping, and it has nothing to do whatsoever with bonding with baby, which is easier when mom and baby have no distractions. Not only that, but I certainly wouldn’t want some sicko googling my wife and baby and being aroused by it. It’s not safe this day and time. There is a time and place for everything. Target (or any public place) is not the time or the place.

• GuestFunny says:

Hey, maybe you can grab some kitty litter off the shelf and use that…oh, and Charmin is just two rows down. I can hear it now…”Clean up on Aisle Four!”

Guess what else Target does??? SELLS BREASTS PUMPS!! So you don’t have to whip one out in public. I am a mother of 3 and would never have dreamed of whipping out a boob in public. If Target or any other store wants to do something for breast feeding mothers, then make a nursing room, where it can be done in private. Most stores now days have parking spaces outside for expectant mothers. Maybe they need to look into “parking” inside for breastfeeding mothers!!

You’re wrong. I had 3 children. And somehow I managed to get all my chores done on a daily basis too. Of course, I wasn’t out shopping for several hours at a time or watching soap operas on TV. And I never let my housework get so far behind that it would take a Mack truck to clean it up. I set my priorities, and I worked a schedule. I did what needed to be done, and still had time for my husband when he got home.

If you have multiple children, all breastfeeding, maybe you need to use some birth control until your youngest one is at least weaned or out of diapers before you have another.

• GuestStraighTalking says:

Let’s get this straighter still….if the mom wasn’t exposing herself (and her baby) to this pervert, it wouldn’t have happened in the first place. I doubt the perv went to the car service center expecting to be aroused. Mommy brought it on herself…and her baby.

• GuestSimple says:

Well, you’re partially right. Breasts were created for feeding babies. But they’re also created for sexual enjoyment, and men being men, they will always associate breasts with sex. It’s just male nature.

If you flop your breast out in public, be prepared for stares, comments, and, in some cases, outright perverts. To avoid all this, and to keep your baby from being googled at by sicko’s, just feed your baby at home. It’s just that simple.

Why should a baby have to eat only at home??? Do you only eat at home????? You get to eat out of the house, why can’t a baby? Because the mother chooses to feed her baby naturally? With the milk that her body is providing for the nourishment of her child? You should eat before you leave the house, and not eat out in public. That’s about the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life.

And, as for nursing in bathrooms…..Think about it. Would you want to take your lunch in the restroom and eat? No? I didn’t think so. Just because the baby eats from a breast doesn’t mean that the mother should have to sit in a stinky nasty restroom to feed her kid. You are a moron, and obviously don’t have kids. And if you do, then bless your kids. Poor kids.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Breast do attract men. Has since the dawn of man. Make any claims you want, but don’t be ignorant about it.

• SurfCityTom says:

it destroyed my appetite at one of Wilmington’s finer restaurants.

And nowhere did I allude to any gratification on my part by the act. Quite the contrary.

Learn to read and comprehend the written word. Another weasel takes a shot at Ole SurfCity and fails.

But thank you for causing me to check. NC laws require the nipple and area surrounding it to be concealed in public. Does that mean every one of those exposers makes the exposer subject to a misdemeanor arrest?

It was not her ‘man’ who was aroused. It was a complete stranger. My lord, how do you get make over and all the other stuff you spewed out from that comment??

• Mom says:

Take it home and feed it? Why don’t you try putting a hungry baby in the car-seat while they are screaming their head off because they don’t understand why they aren’t being fed? If my baby is hungry I will feed him. Not drive 15 minutes home while he is screaming hunger to make people like you happy because you aren’t mature enough to realize what breasts are for. People like you don’t need to have babies.

Next time your out, don’t stop at a fast food restaurant to eat… wait until you get home.

• Das Weibstück says:

Feed your baby in the car. I did breast feed my child but only for a few weeks, my milk didn’t come in very well. Needless to say there is NO way I would have done it in public even if I had him covered. A dressing room where I could sit and relax during the feeding would have been fine. My sister breast fed hers for 2 years, she NEVER popped her teats out outside of the home. Its called planning ahead, pumping and storing. This was 25 years ago and she managed. With all the new things they have for you nowadays you shouldn’t have an issue.

Yes its natural but its not your job to show the public how its done. Sorry but no matter how many women pop their teats in public its not going to change the FACT that women’s breasts are ALSO for sexual pleasure. AND that is NATURAL too !!

I never had the problem of trying to put a screaming baby in a car seat when it was starving. That’s because I never let my babies get to that point. If you keep your baby out until they’re starving, that means you’ve been out with them too long.

I fed my babies at home, and then went out for about 3 hours, then came home (before they got cranky), and took care of business. Then, if I felt so inclined, I went out again. But I never subjected others to a screaming baby or an exposed breat. I had too much respect for others and myself to allow that to happen.

I feel sorry for your baby and how you’re going to raise it..self-centered, holier than thou, and inconsiderate of others.

Your last sentence was just plain childish. For your baby’s sake…grow up.

Why don’t you breast feed the baby in the privacy of the car before they go into the car seat? It’s people like YOU who should not have babies. What a narcissist!

• La Siciliana says:

OMG this whole Lactivist BS is too much! I intend to BF my bebes, and even do extended nursing into toddlerhood, I know breast is best and will do what I need to do to give my bebes the best nutrients and the nurturing affection from mami that BFing gives. THAT BEING SAID, BFing should be about feeding your bebe, not about making some political statement or trying to shove your views down other people’s throats! People “need” to see you BFing so it can become the cultural norm? Give me a break, yes there are some cultures where breasts are on display, normalized and non-sexual, but in this society that is not the case. If you don’t like it, go move to Africa or South East Asia! I’m so sick of this whole “lactivist” movement of imposing, self-righteous granola women with something to prove, thinking that they are going to save the world and change society with their breasts! GIVE ME A BREAK LADY YOU ARE NOT THAT SPECIAL. Yes, feed your bebes, yes, educate your friends and family members IF they are interested, yes nurse in public, with our without a cover, but don’t make it about proving a point to society! At that point it’s not even about mami and bebe connecting anymore, it’s not about feeding anymore, it’s about trying to change people’s views, which is so “udderly” stupid (yes I said it, lol).
    But I digress, my main point is whether you are sexy/beautiful or not, whether you use a cover or not, whether you BF in public or not, the BOTTOM LINE IS that BFing should be just that, about BFing, about making a special connection with your bebe and feeding, NOT ABOUT CHANGING SOCIETY OR MAKING A F-ING STATEMENT! Just feed your own damn bebe, there’s no need to look down your nose at other women who BF in a different way, or even women who bottle feed. To each her own. And it’s not your job or responsibility to “teach” society a lesson, stop acting like we as women/mothers have such a huge cross to bear!! GET OVER YOURSELF and just feed your own bebe!

• Sad Mother says:

This is so sad to read and even more sad to know that you actually believe what you are writing. It is amazing that women are still taking a stand and making waves to inform and uplift other women. Do you think we were allowed the right to work or vote by sitting quietly and minding our own business and only sharing information with people who “wanted” to hear it? Very sad.

My concern is to help my child feel better. Period. The end. I am not thinking about my rights, I’m not even thinking about bonding. I am thinking about feeding my child if he’s hungry, just as a formula feeding mom would. When I breastfeed, I do it discretely, usually while covered by a hooter hider. If feeding my child the most nutritious food on the planet is actually being confused with exhibitionism, selfishness, and indecency, I am at a complete loss. Once again, I have come to realize you can’t reason with stupid.

• GuestReality says:

If your main concern is your child, your child would feel better and more comfortable in his own home environment. And If you’re not thinking about bonding while providing your baby nourishment, you are missing out on one of the greatest experiences in life. Your baby wants and needs more than an automatic milk dispenser.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with breastfeeding, but doing it in public is over the top for most people. They don’t want to see it or hear it. And dragging your child all over the place exposes your little one to colds, the flu, and worse.

…posting some of the most assinine comments that have been made public here.
    First of all, we ALL know what ASS-U-ME means. I happen to be a male heterosexual with a full and educated understanding of human anatomy, you are severly lacking in that knowledge. Let’s take for example you description of the purpose of your penis. You do not need your penis to urinate, you DO need your penis to naturally procreate (BTW, that means father a child). It is considered offensive worldwide to openly display your little thingie. The primary purpose of a womans breast is for feeding her young baby, that’s all. There is nothing offensive about that.
    Secondly, lets discuss the pathetic loser part. You are right on the mark in identifying yourself. According to the federal and state health regulations, you are required to wear a shirt and shoes in any public facility where food is served. It’s simply unhealthy, you dolt. Nobody wants your stankin’ armpit hair in their proximity. Is it offensive? Well, that depends on the observer and your physical stature. My best guess is that when you display your ignorance so blatantly without thought, you likely do the same with a roly-poly gut placarded with inappropriate tattoos.

• Amy M. says:

I breastfeed in public if I happen to be out when it’s time to nurse. And I don’t use a cover. I wear a nursing tank under all my shirts and try my best to be discreet. Most comments (by those who know me) when I’m breastfeeding say they thought I was merely holding a sleeping baby. There’s definitely a difference between nursing your baby for his nourishment and nursing him just to make a statement. There should be no more hype over breastfeeding in public as there is bottle feeding in public.

• My_Opinion says:

OMG that is the funniest thing I’ve heard recently! hahaha

If you’re not bothered by a woman breastfeeding 5 feet away from you, more power to you. That’s not the case of most men. Most of them are either embarrassed by it, or turned on by it.

Like you said, you have no kids. Maybe when you have a wife and child, then you will feel more protective and concerned about their safety.

Why would I be bothered by a woman breastfeeding her kid near me?? I’m a grown, mature adult, I think I can handle being near a woman nursing her child.

As to your comment “when I have a wife and child then maybe I’ll feel more protective and conconcerned for their safety”…ummm…If I had a wife and she chose to breastfeed in public I would support that. I don’t think that poses any greater danger to a womans safety than walking into Target with a bikini top on in the summer. If a man is going to be turned on by a woman breastfeeding her kid then I doubt its going to matter what she’s doing or wearing to someone who is turned on by that, at that point the woman isn’t the one with the problem.

That’s just my opinion which I’m sure many people won’t agree with. Oh well……

• nchilltopper says:

It’s ok for women to flop a teet out in public, but as a male when I walk into a store with no shirt i’m asked to leave because i’m considered obscene. Bottom line is that this behavior makes people uncomfortable. Guys don’t want their wives checking out some half naked dude while shopping, gals don’t want their husbands checking out some gals teet either….you show it and people are going to LOOK – exhibitionism. If having to feed your child in the car before you go shopping, or go to the bathroom while shopping to feed is such an inconvenience the you should have considered adopting a dog – wait, they can be inconvenient as well.

I was in upstate NY several years ago and witnessed a woman trying to have a man arrested for looking at her breast while she was breastfeeding on a bench outside of a PUB…..heck, I should have been arrested along with 200 others that saw her nip as well. Luckily for the gentleman he was allowed to move on without the embarrassment of being hauled away to jail. Next time I catch a baby toting mom checking me out while shirtless I think i’ll call the law.

• GuestReally says:

The girls you mentioned at church and at the mall are wrong too, but that doesn’t justify pulling your boob out and letting junior suck in the presence of others.

It’s a private matter and it’s a time of bonding between mother and baby. How can you bond when you’re checking out the latest styles at Target? How can they protect that baby from illness and disease when they’re exposed to all kinds of germs all over town?

Modesty is something most young girls today have no concept of. That why you see them dressed like you do at church and at the mall. Some things should just be done in private, and this is one of them.

…while we have young girls going to church dressed like they’re going to an all-night party, walking around in malls with skin tight pants sporting “PINK” across their tales with their fat bellies hanging out, virtually any and every curse word used commonly on television, radio and music, we ACTUALLY have a bunch of stick-up-their-a&& prudes that want to whine and make issue of a woman breastfeeding a baby in a public place. Beats all I’ve ever seen or heard.

It really sounds like the majority of you whiners don’t even realize that the female breast is actally intended for feeding, not the secondary purpose of sex. I fail to grasp the concept of breastfeeding being an “offensive act” when open, in-your-face displays of flagrant homosexuality is supposed to be considered acceptable.

• nchilltopper says:

One could only assume that you are one of the exhibitionist flaunting your boob in public. My penis was given to me for the purpose of urinating but if I whip it out in Target I would become a registered sex offender. Your argument is weak. My point is that any part of the human body that could be considered offensive to ANYONE should be kept under wraps. If I were a pathetic loser I would file a lawsuit against Target for asking me to leave because I tried to prove a point by entering a store with no shirt on. True story. I was told it was against store policy and was considered indecent! Why is my bare chest considered indecent, and a boob not?

• Brian says:

I for one have no problems with the actual act, but I do have a problem with the attitudes that motivated this demonstration.

As for those complaining about it, take action! Bring your camera and take pictures as they’re feeding their kids. You have as much a right to photograph them in a public place as they have a right to breastfeed. I’ll bet most of their tones change when they find out that you’re going to be posting their pictures on Facebook! :)

• John says:

I don’t see any problem with a mother breast feeding a baby in public. It has been done since the beginning for human time. How ever I do see a problem with a stunt like this. It sort of like saying I have a right to scratch an unsightly itch in public if I can’t help it and then getting a group of men to sit in front of Target scratching their gentailia just so as to try and make a point.

• Brooke says:

Breastfeeding is what breast are made for. Breastfeeding is the most natural thing a woman can do, and the best thing a mother can do for her children. My son will be getting breastmilk for as long as he will take it. If someone has an issue with me feeding my child, they can just move on. How I feed my child is my business, not yours. If you don’t like my built-in bottles, than don’t look at them.
    Breastfeeding is NOT a vulgar act. It is natural, healthy, and yes, a great bonding experience. Breastfeeding moms should be treated no differently than a mom who pops out a bottle.
    There is no comparison to a man aimlessly walking around without a shirt on. A woman who is Breastfeeding has meaning in what she is doing.

Those of us who feed our children the best nutrition possible should not be criticized for it. Just as no one should be criticized for eating a healthy meal.
    Pumping is Not always an option. Anyone who breastfeeds knows that.

• Catherine says:

I have an 8 week old baby and I feed her whenever/wherever. I don’t use a cover. I like to be able to make eye contact with my baby. If you have a problem with it, don’t watch. It’s completely natural. If you have a problem with your kids watching, educate them. I will not pump and take a bottle with me. Refridgerating breastmilk reduces the nutrients and antibodies in the milk. I will do what is best for my child and I couldn’t care less what anyone else thinks about it. I find it amusing how ignorant so many of you are. Breast is Best.

• anne says:

By your letter, we can see how selfish you are. It is all about you I guess!!!!! Nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public – just cover up. Is that too much to ask? I guess it is for a selfish person such as you.

And you say it is natural? Well so is going to the bathroom. Wonder how you would feel is some man walked up a tree near you and just went to the bathroom. Would that be natural t you? Doesn’t he have rights? God has given us common sense to use – use yours!!!!!!!!!!

• Brooke says:

I breastfeed my son. Why? Because that’s what breasts are made for!
    Breastmilk is the most natural and healthy way to feed a baby. There is no intelligent way to deny that.
    Do you cover your mouth when you eat? Do you cover a bottle? There is no difference!
    If it makes you uncomfortable, look away! That baby needs food. Stop being selfish.

• GuestReally says:

The overwhelming majority of posters on this forum disagree with your opinion. If you took the time to read ALL the posts, you would know that.

Like most of the young generation today, it’s all about YOU. You’re determined to do things your way, no matter what others think or say. It’s impossible for you to have an open mind. Why? Because your mama spoiled you and raised a selfish child, and then you will spoil and raise a selfish child…and so on, and so on. Generation after generation. That’s what’s wrong with the world today.

Human history is the sad result of people like you only looking out for themselves, with a total disregard, disrespect, and lack of concern for others.

as long as they don’t mind others watching. I can take it if you can.

• J says:

This was a statement and not about hungry babies being fed. These moms used their children to make a statement that they have the right to feed them in public. But you know, it’s also okay for people to be uncomfortable with it if breastfeeding moms aren’t discreet. You mean to tell me that having to walk past a wall of moms breastfeeding babies wouldn’t make you want to look the other way? I breastfed two babies, just didn’t feel the need to sit in Target to do it.