WWAY, DIRECTV reach agreement

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 12/30/2011 - 1:44am
Updated: Fri, 12/30/2011 - 1:51am

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Good news for anyone who watches WWAY on DIRECTV. Today WWAY’s parent company and the satellite provider agreed on a deal that means DIRECTV customers in southeastern North Carolina will continue to be able to watch WWAY.

“Morris Network, which owns and operates six television network affiliated television stations, and DIRECTV, which provides satellite TV service that retransmits the signal of each of the Morris Network stations, are pleased to announce the successful conclusion of negotiations for renewal of their existing retransmission consent agreement,” the two companies said in a joint statement.

A failure to reach an agreement by New Year’s Day could have resulted in the signals of WWAY and its sister stations no longer being carried on DIRECTV.

• Papa says:

When will we get HD, otherwise who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Joe

• Scott Pickey says:

GuestX – thanks for the comment – but it’s the satellite companies’ decision not to uplink in HD. We only send an 16 x 9 signal now – they downconvert it to 4 x 3.

But, when you call them, they will blame it on us.

sp

Scott Pickey
    WWAY News Director

• GuestX says:

You all should be ashamed of yourselves. I don’t watch you stations because you can’t get off lazy behinds and get a deal put together that will give us high def locals on satellite.

• Surfhbnc says:

I want it in HD. Looks terrible on a 55 inch HD tv.

is this always a big deal??? Why is there always some sort of negotiation going on for this type of stuff when I can get HD WWAY FOR FREE anyway…

• DirecTV says:

I just got rid of DIRECTV. The bill kept climbing untill it was too high just to watch tv. Once a storm rolled in, DIRECTV would go out. I was charged extra to get local channels and HBO was nothing but the same re-runs year after year. They will give new customers a great deal to sign a contract but stick it to ya after that contract expires and steadily raise the rate. ATT and DIRECTV are sister companies and ATT isn’t any better for internet. ($45 per month for 6mb service) I got rid of both of them and saved $100 a month by switching back to cable with 3 times the internet speed. If cable starts to nickel and dime me too bad, I’ll switch again.

Now, if we could only get our local channels in HD without needing an of air antenna, we would be all set.