11 Comments for this article

Tags: , , ,

RALEIGH, NC (WWAY) — State and local law enforcement officers cited 3,627 motorists for driving while impaired during the Holiday “Booze It & Lose It” campaign, which ran Dec. 3–Jan 2. They issued a total of 136,769 traffic and criminal citations statewide.

“These numbers show our dedication to making our roads safer by removing drivers under the influence from our roadways,” Transportation Secretary Gene Conti said.

During the Governor’s Highway Safety Program campaign, officers statewide conducted 10,643 sobriety checkpoints and dedicated patrols. Counties with the highest number of DWI citations were Wake (303), Mecklenburg (292) and Guilford (144).

Officers also issued 7,041 safety belt and 1,423 child passenger safety violations, 38,662 speeding violations and 3,994 drug charges. In addition, they apprehended 2,247 fugitives from justice and recovered 228 stolen vehicles.

Comment on this Story

11 Comments on "Holiday “Booze It & Lose It” campaign nets 3,627 DWI arrests"

Guest45576
2015 years 9 months ago

Which part didn’t you understand?

“…3,994 drug charges. In addition, they apprehended 2,247 fugitives from justice and recovered 228 stolen vehicles.”

These are criminals.

Guest Lee
2015 years 9 months ago

Drunk drivers ARE real criminals. They are breaking the law and putting others in harm’s way. They deserve to be busted.

I hope my tax dollars put them away for a long time.

GuestAmazed
2015 years 9 months ago

I’m just amazed that there are people out there who actually support drunk drivers, who maim, kill and destroy on a daily basis. I think if they plowed into one of your loved ones, totalled your new car, or made you a quadraplegic for life,you would feel very differently. Man, it takes all kinds.

Grand Ole Party
2015 years 9 months ago

Your ignorance show a real waste of tax dollars at work. Please tell me you dropped out of school in the sixth grade and didn’t waste 2 much money and time.

Guest1234
2015 years 9 months ago

What a waste of resources. They could have been catching some real criminals in the time they wasted on this

Jake
2015 years 9 months ago

An expensive plan which simply leads middle-class Americans to criminalize and persecute each other while also confiscating each others right to privacy. It’s no wonder some people don’t even want to meet their next door neighbor. Let’s do better NC!

Guest111
2015 years 9 months ago

You know. . the public went after smokers like gang busters to the point it’s basically non existent as far as anyone can see. I have never been able to figure out why they haven’t gone after drinkers and drunks in the same fashion. A driver was killed just early this morning because of alcohol and almost took a deputy sheriff with him. I sure hope no one walked up on the accident scene smoking a cig. That second hand smoke is supposedly rough stuff! (and I mean no disrespect to the man who died)

Guest1234
2015 years 9 months ago

6th grade dropout? I graduated from a small private high school with honors. After completetion of high school I graduated from UNCW with a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management from AACSB accredited Cameron School of Business. Upon completion of college I obtained my NASD Series 7, Series 66, LTC, Medicare/Medigap Licenses, and my License fron The NC Insurance Commissioner. Let’s hear about you???

guesty
2015 years 9 months ago

You have no common sense and are educated beyond your comprehension level.

William
2015 years 9 months ago

Since speeding is responsible for more deaths than DUI, it seems like the punishment for speeding should be more severe or at least severe as DUI.

Ken
2015 years 9 months ago

This articlee says, “Officers also issued 7,041 safety belt and 1,423 child passenger safety violations, 38,662 speeding violations and 3,994 drug charges. In addition, they apprehended 2,247 fugitives from justice and recovered 228 stolen vehicles”.

Seems to me they may have stumbled upon something that works. Maybe law enforcement should do this on a monthly basis like maybe one weekend every month. Just getting that many fugitives off the streets and making that many drug arrest alone makes it worth the time and money. While I am sure some would claim their Rights are being violated by this action, I see it more along the lines of law enforcement doing a better job of protecting the general public.