UPDATE: Man shot during robbery has died

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Thu, 01/12/2012 - 4:40am
Updated: Thu, 01/12/2012 - 5:09pm

LAKE WACCAMAW, NC (WWAY) — Store clerks in New Hanover County have become famous for protecting themselves from would-be robbers. Now that trend has moved out to Columbus County, where there was a a robber was shot and killed near Lake Waccamaw.

“We’ve been here like 20 some years and ain’t nothing ever happened like that,” neighbor Alton Nichols said. “I don’t see why someone would do something like that. It don’t make sense.”

Though folks in Lake Waccamaw say their small town is usually pretty calm, many say they don’t hesitate to protect themselves if someone threatens their life and don’t blame the employee for what he did.

Sam Melville, who lives near the store, says the robber got what he deserved.

“Good riddance,” Melville said. “I’m sorry. It’s just rewards. He earned what he got.”

Lake Waccamaw Police say an employee at Waccamaw Outdoor Supply gunned down a man trying to steal from the store around lunchtime. They say things like this usually don’t happen in their quiet town.

“When something, a violent crime occurs, it, of course, concerns everybody in the community,” Police Chief Scott Hyatt said. “We pride ourselves on having a safe environment here, but you can’t plan for the unexpected like that.”

Chief Hyatt says the would-be robber did have a weapon, a sledge hammer.

“This is all still very fresh,” Hyatt said. “We are trying to get closure with the family, out of respect for them, before we disclose the other things. It just seems like the right thing to do.”

Neighbors say they heard three gunshots, then rushed to the scene. They say one of those three gunshots hit the suspect in the head. They also say it was not the first time he tried to rob the store.

“He ran over there the first time last week and then came in this week and this is what happened,” Nichols said.

Melville says what’s tragic is the employee will have to live with what he did while defending his workplace.

“The tragedy is that he was forced into the position that he had to do it,” Melville said. “He did not create the scenario. The other guy did. Now when he wakes up in the morning or he sleeps at night, it’s going to be in his head that he’s killed a human being.”

Police are not confirming the identity of the shooter or the robbery suspect at this time. They say the man shot was rushed to Columbus Regional Healthcare System in Whiteville, then transported to New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington where he died Wednesday evening.

“We believe the intent was to try and steal guns,” Chief Hyatt said.

Hyatt says he doesn’t plan to release the name of the employee for fear the employee could be targeted for retribution.

So far there are no charges in this case.

The shooting is still under investigation.

• Giggles1960 says:

WAY TO GO!!! LESSON, WELL TAUGHT :)

Do you know something about this story that WWAY didn’t disclose? Was race a factor? As for my Grandparents, they were poor Ohio and Pennsylvania farmers. My Great great grandparents who were alive in the mid 1800’s were all abolitionists . You may find this hard to believe, but most whites in the mid 1800’s were not slave owners, even in the South. The majority of whites went to battle to die for your rights. How is this devilish? Please tell. Yes, I’m glad the punk was put down…white, black, yellow, red or whatever color he was.

• GrizzlyRN says:

Good Job!

This is a crackhead. This is a crackhead tring to rob a store. This is what happens to a crackhead’s brain when a slug goes through it. Get It!

Can you believe this guy was that STUPID that he tried to rob the same store last week…

Way to go store clerk !!!!!

You know after the investigation it will be a good shot.. and it was

• columbuscounty says:

This was a store that sold firearms,handguns,rifles and shotguns.
    Didn’t he know the people that sold them also knew how to use them?
    Oh well, he asked for it and he got it.

• God knows says:

As Christians we need to stay focused on God and pray for one another. There is no need for all of the bashing and wishing harm on any man. Even though what he did was wrong, God determines out fate not us as people. I will continue to pray for both families because its hard to bare a death or the reality of someone killing someone else. My goal out of this comment is just to keep you eyes on the prize and focus on GOD.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Let’s not forget that the manager of the supermarket out there shot and killed a robber a few years back. It became apparent that cooperating wasn’t calming the guy, and the manager sincerely believed that he and the store employees were about to be killed. He followed the age-old adage, “If your enemy comes to kill you, rise up and kill him first.”

• American Values says:

This is just wrong. Whats next? Husbands and wives with a pistol next to the front door, just in case? Shooting neighbors who they think are robbing them? Guns are ruining America! They’re too accessible, people think they need to protect themselves from what? Did anyone ask WHY this person did what he did? Is he desperate? Is he not getting enough help from us? We’re falling farther down every day, I’m afraid to go to a store anymore, I’ll be shot reaching for a pack of gum.

We need to do more for these people, not shoot them!!! We can help!

Just kidding, shoot them, twice if you need to. Protect yourselves, your family, and liberals too. They need help the most, bunch of sheep.

• Concerned for the Family says:

I read all of the comments and it sad that everybody is so excited that a young man lost his life. I personally know him and his parents. He was not a crack head as someone said. He was a child of God and a child of two loving parents. He was wrong for going into that store and yes he won’t be going back. My heart still goes out for his family, so even though he was wrong, please note that he has family that are probably reading your comments. Everyone makes mistakes and will have to answer to God for them. Put yourselves in his family’s shoes. There is no need to belittle my comments, I understand he was committing a crime it is just sad things had to turn out this way! Thanks and God Bless!

• me says:

A BOY IS DEAD YOU HEARTLESS BASTARDS THAT COULD HAVE VERY WELL BEEN YOUR CHILD OR FAMILY MEMEBER YOU NEVER KNOW WATCH WHAT YOU SAY ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE!!!!!

• me says:

A MANS LIFE WAS TAKEN ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE YOU DONT KNOW A PERSONS SITUATION OR WHAT THERE GOING THREW NOTHING IN THAT STORE WAS WORTH THAT MANS LIFE…..

Did man have on mask,and if he did how can you tell who is who plus they said that he tried to rob store last week did they know for sure it was him….(just saying) AND was it on the news channel’s LAST WEEK IF HE DID’T HAVE GUN, WHY NOT HIS LEG JUST SAYING AGAIN?????

• Open mind says:

For you all that think that its so great that someones son,dad or brother has gotten shot and may die you sould stop and think about what your saying sure it was a stupid mistake but does he deserve to die? I dont blame the clerk for defending him/herself but its sad that it turned out this way. We should pray for these individuals and not jump to judge because you never know what goes on in a person life to make them do things.

• Office Fan says:

I wanted to personally thank all of the clerks recently who have stepped up and defended themselves, their friends, families, fellow employees and the general public from these parasites who think they have the right to victimize a law abiding citizen! Heroes like you are finally putting criminals on notice that the days of terrorizing hard working people are coming to an end.

Just a note, how stupid does a criminal have to be to not know that there is ALWAYS somebody carrying in a store that sells guns? I have been purchasing guns for years and I can tell you that if you go into a store where guns are for sale, there is at least 1 person who in either open or concealed carrying and they are a far better shot than the idiot criminal.

Thanks again heroes!

You sure seem to enjoy stories of killing. Any type, any kind, as long as someone gets killed.

Please lay off the crackpipe and seek help.

• nchilltopper says:

“Chief Hyatt said. “We believe the intent was to try and steal guns.”

So far there are no charges in this case.”

Why would there be any charges? Justice is served! If someone comes into my home or business with ill intent they will be subject to the same outcome. I’m sick of politically correct America……this action deserves the penalty served!

• Dawnsa says:

Talk about suffering the consequences of your actions…

• Rex Gore says:

This is just not locally but across the nation. People are arming them selves and protecting there lives every day. It a sign of the times and people are tired of becoming victim to these sorts of crimes. As quoted from “What they will learn” “is to shoot the clerk first and then take the money” Well I hate to break the news to you but there already doing that and have been for some time. I would rather have my firearm and defend my self then not have one and wish I had it. Your statement holds no Merritt. Now as to the owner of the business I say congratulations and thank you for standing up and protecting your self. If I was the DA. I would make an example of the criminal and send out a clear message that crimes like this will not be tolerated by the great citizens of our community. Also remember people, Its called the Castle Doctrine. The owner should NOT be charged and commended for his actions.

• Ken says:

It’s so sad that this store clerk is going to have the memory of having to take a life but I’ve always held and maintained the thought “Better Him Than Me”. The would be robber made one mistake to many and it cost him his life.

• Robbed by a billion white men says:

How dare any of you maggots speak like you & your grand parents have paid retribution for your inhumane crimes against an entire race(s) of people. The joking justice system has failed to punish the wicked white boy for his very act of being alive. You insensitive incapable of compassion rabbid monsters . Don’t for one moment forget that you are decendants of murderers & rapists, of thieves & oppressers. You are savage at thought, at your first steps you have been taught hatred & the how to be as devilish as your four fathers. That man was wrong, but how can any pink nut having human find fault in this present day buffoonery of a lifestyle that his grandparents started. Slap Yourself.

• C'mon now says:

Nobody is going to fault the clerk for defending himself. But, why on earth would all of you folks be so glib, almost happy about it? The guy that died no doubt has a tragic story…and his Mother weeps today. So, let’s have some humanity, shall we?

I so wish they would listen to you (and me) – – unfortunately, you are right, and when desperate addicts are jonesing (or violent thieves attack), their first thought will be to go ahead & kill the clerk rather than take the chance that the clerk might be packing heat. We shouldn’t be encouraging vigilante justice because next time, it might be an inexperienced, young clerk who pays the price. Maybe your daughter or son.

• Bill says:

At least now the taxpayers won’t be on the hook for millions to defend him. Dirt nap time.

• CCRES says:

Maybe “HE” should have thought about that before he entered the store with intent of stealing something.
    You people are so brilliant with some of your comments and wise ideas.

• dittos says:

…going “threw”..?? ooook You’re right about one thing…getting your head blown off ain’t worth it. But he made that choice…dirt nap time!

• Guest_99x says:

To 3130 and RSimmons. You two are not alone here. There are many scenarios that could go fatally wrong beginning with your contention that next time an armed robber will become more dangerously aggressive. An innocent bystander could be killed in a crossfire, an armed citizen could be mistakenly killed by police fire….

I don’t remember all the particulars of the story but it was recently that a trained ATF agent intervened in a pharmacy holdup on Long Island. The agent was KILLED by friendly fire. An off duty cop helping in the situation shot the assisting citizen.

For those of you on this forum who like to perform their “chicken-hawk dance” on graves, you can be of good cheer! The perpetrator was shot dead also.

• Guest Lee says:

Africans themselves played a large role in the slave trade. They sold their captives (which were usually from neighboring or enemy ethnic groups) to European buyers, which was a common practice during that era. At times, kings and businessmen would sell criminals to the buyers so that they could no longer commit crimes in that area. Most other slaves were obtained from kidnappings, or through raids that occurred at gunpoint through JOINT ventures between the Africans and the Europeans.

Get a clue. When you’ve lost your temper, you’ve lost the argument.

• nchilltopper says:

Go sympathize somewhere else! Not one of my family members would ROB A STORE WITH A GUN, or without!!!!!! All of you people crying about someones Son, Brother or whatever being dead need to stop and think how you would feel if some lowlife thug broke into your house and terrorized you for your belongings. Remember Eve Carson? That girl was savagely murdered for a few dollars….she begged and pleaded for her life. She actually cared for the welfare of her attackers but was given no choice of life or death. These SCUMBAGS should get what they deserve. How about all of you bleeding heart sympathizers start a forum for your own personal gratification, we’re sick of hearing you spew your acceptance of criminal activity with no consequence!

• Guest 1911 says:

You had me going for a minute

• jeremy says:

Heartless bastards???? Lol 1st off the stupid sob was willingly breaking the law! 2nd off if that’s not reason enuf then listen to this, he goes to the store for a 2nd time with a knife lol repeat a knife tto rob a store that has guns repeat guns GUNS, so if shooting him for breaking law with intent of using a weapon (knife) isn’t logical enuf reason then his lack of intelligence should be

• Anon says:

Charles Warren???? Is that you???

That’s why we got all of the dumb, slow ones.

So you’re saying that clerks and customers should do nothing when a robber walks in with the intent to steal, possibly rape and murder them? They should just stand by and give in to the threat of violence?

No thanks. I carry a concealed weapon with me at all times, and if one of these losers confronts me with a gun, I’ll defend myself with whatever means necessary. If there’s a choice between him or me going home to their family at night, it’s gonna be me. I won’t feel guilty because he brought it on himself.

The robber was planning on moving on to bigger things by trying to steal guns to replace his sledge hammer. Eventually, he would have shot someone. You don’t steal guns to have them lay on a shelf somewhere unused. He caused his own death.

You are exactly what’s wrong with this society today. You think you are entitled…that nice things and laziness are owed to you. Think again name-calling whackjob.

• Guest 1911 says:

The problem is when you’re confronted by someone with a gun you don’t have the luxury of knowing if the person is scared and fell on hard times just trying to get by, or if they’re just a plain ruthless killer who wants your money. I do agree that all these people commiting armed robberies do have grieving parents that mourn their loss. But you never know if the person confronting you is ready to kill and at that point better that the would be victim doesn’t have to have his family grieving his or her loss. It is a dangerous world and you must protect yourself and the ones you love first. The time you take to wonder if the person robbing you is a real threat could mean your life.

• Challengetheworld says:

It wasn’t my family member, because if it was I would have denounced him a long time ago. Wake up – justice was served.

I’m also a Christian, but I disagree with your statement that, “God determines our fate, not us as people”.

God gave us all freedom of choice. We can choose good, or we can choose evil. With every choice comes a consequence. Remember when God said, “Choose you this day whom you will serve”? This robber chose evil, and he paid for it with his life. Ultimately, God allowed this to happen because of the bad choice that the robber made. Along with freedom of choice comes sometimes hefty consequences.

Here we go. I guess you are blaming Jesus for what happened to blacks years and years and years ago. I didn’t have one thing to do with that. I don’t want to hear your poor pitiful me story. Get out, get a job and get off welfare like everyone else. Gimme Gimme Gimme and it’s all EVERYONE’S fault for the things that happen to me. I’m so sick of blacks playing the race card. By the way, this isn’t the topic of discussion in the first place. CONCENTRATE ON WHAT YOU READ.

• guest111 says:

If he were my son I would have known what he was capable of and would have gotten him professional help. Did his parents do that or did they just fold their hands and shake their heads? This was not an upstanding citizen and anyone who knew him knew he had problems. Put the blame where it belongs.

• mordant says:

Self defense and vigilantism are two separate phenomena. Vigilante justice might be invoked if someone fails to defend himself. Vigilantes go after the perceived perp after the fact of the crime. Self Defense is an act performed during the attempted commission of a crime in order to avoid being killed or damaged by the perpetrator of the crime.

• Guest_99x says:

1165, every now and again this guy brags about his prowess during the Vietnam war. He also has admitted to career length military service, that he collects VA benefits and now purportedly has a successful business.

Common is likely one of two choices, an office pinky who never left stateside during the ‘Nam era and continued his “career” in the military; or worse, a foul-up who caused one of his own either death or injury in combat and is acting out now because he is a failure…. He is living through the barrel of another man’s gun.

I feel safe to say that a real man, a real combat vet or police officer who took a life in the line of duty would NEVER celebrate a death, a death of an enemy or an alleged criminal perpetrator in the way that some of the miscreants on this board do.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

EVERYONE should celebrate the death of a criminal. Why would you not?

That.is.awesome!!

• nchilltopper says:

Do you expect us to take your nonsensical comments serious? My family members work for their belongings, they don’t steal! Sure his family will shed tears for his malicious act, doesn’t change my opinion. Oh btw, did you fire off that email to the DA and, as you call him “the general attorney”?

• victim of robbery says:

just to wake you up here. we have been robbed at our store. with a gun in my husbands face. with two sorry pieces of trash on the other end. we weren’t lucky enough to get a shot off at either one of them. but if we could have we would gladly go to bed at night with their blood on our hands if need be. you walk into someones business with a gun you have to know that you are asking for trouble. by the hand of god we are still alive and well and spending our life with our two young boys. so to all the sorry pieces of trash who want to walk into our store with a gun, we all carry guns now. so the next time the robbers won’t be walking out – carried out in a body bag is more the case here. so people should be careful who they defend you never know what someone on the other end of the gun has had happen to them. and oh yea, I will gladly give up my ip address. so yea i guess i really do mean kill them all if need be. its either you or them.

• RoadKillWarrior says:

Your an idiot. That is all I have to say.

Let me address a couple of things in your post because I’m really not sure where you get your information from.

“Even a police officer yells to put down the gun many times before shooting.” Not necessarily. I work in law enforcement. If possible, you give warnings. However, if someone is pointing a firearm at me or a third party, they’ve bought a visit with a .40 caliber round; no warning required.

“THREE shots, come on? couldnt aim for the leg?” I can’t speak for the average citizen but we’re trained to shoot at center mass and to do so in 2 shot bursts to which will maximize your chances of neutralizing the threat. You never, ever shoot for the extremeties except in unusual situations (eg. someone wearing body armor). Most shooting situations are stressful and chaotic. Even when shooting for the largest area the body, most people will miss the majority of their shots. Factor in adrenaline and the fact that no one is simply going to stand still and let you choose what body part to shoot and you can see why. If we have to shoot we’re doing so to incapacitate and stop the threat, not necessarily to kill. You certainly won’t stop someone’s ability to use a gun by shooting them in the leg.

I would suggest that you do a little research before you make statements like these in public.

For those who woo hoo’d it up and push the idea to clerks on this comment board to shoot potential robbers, you all have blood on your hands. You, yourself have also pulled the trigger and took a life because you glorified the killing of people. I really hope the DA is viewing this thread and asks for IP addresses for you so called anonomously bloggers. You are just as guilty as the clerk who shot and murdered someone. Yes, that guy came in with a gun, but was it loaded? Did he get shot in the front or the head of back of head? THREE shots, come on? couldnt aim for the leg? Even a police officer yells to put down the gun many times before shooting. The fact that the guy has robbed the store before and didnt hurt anyone should tell you he wasnt a violent robber. If I was the family of the murder victim, I would sue WWAY, Bloggers on this board who enticed killing robbers and the people who own the store. All of you guys names have been written in the Book of Judgement. What a sad world we live in!

• CCRES says:

You have no idea what you are saying. First you don’t even have half of your facts straight about the incident. Get a life. I HATE A THIEF!

• nchilltopper says:

What a lame thing to say. I will offer my address to any DA who wishes to have it. Remember, we live in the land of free speech. To suggest I have blood on my hands because I state that I would defend my family against a potentially violent situation is absurd to say the least! To clarify for you, when an officer asks a person to drop their weapon it is only when that person has not pointed that weapon at the individual; once that happens they are instantly considered a threat and are at risk of being shot. A sledgehammer is the same as a gun, one strike to the head and your potentially dead. A weapon is a weapon. Come to my home or business and point a weapon at me and you will become a target….period!

You are such a sob story. Cry those tears for a criminal all you want, I’ll go out of my way to stop by that store and congratulate the clerk. Just like I’ve done at Wrightsville Country Store.

You hope the DA will waste time issuing suponeas for IP address? What for? To confirm the United States of America still has free speech?

It doesn’t matter if the gun was loaded, a pellet gun or an air-soft gun. He came into a store with the intent to rob it and used a weapon in the commission of that crime.

Aim for the leg? No, you aim for center mass to eliminate the threat. A police officer has to warn many times before shooting due to people like you that want to sue everybody. I bet you would be one of the first to march if the police were to shoot a criminal.

Get this through your skull, criminals that choose to commit crimes are taking a risk with their lives. I hope more criminals are shot and killed. And I’ll post on them as well.

“What a sad world we live in!” With that comment, you are correct, but it IS changing and quickly! You must understand, my timid one, that when an armed robber enters a business with the goal of terrorizing the clerk to hand over their money, they have entered another world. There are state and federal laws recently enacted to allow law-abiding citizens to fight back with deadly force. Guess what? It’s working very well so far!

Allow me to explain a basic and fundamental right that I and the other law-abiding citizens have in hand, this is a very simple and basic concept that even with your low IQ, can get a grasp of: If and when any criminal puts MY life OR the life of any family member or freind in fear of loss of life because that terrorist wants to take my things or rape or pillage or whatever his intent may be, I will respond with deadly force to prevent it…period. I am a licensed and trained concealed carry permit holder and visit the range on a weekly basis. My target grouping is getting better and better. I hope and pray that I never, ever have to use my weapon on another human being, but threaten me and I most certainly will.

So go start a new support group for gun control, have all of your followers raise their right hand and say, “HILE!”. That’s what Hitler did…

• GN says:

What would you do ? Ask him if the gun was loaded ?
    Like I said your crazy.

• Guest Lee says:

The robber brought his own death upon himself. If he hadn’t been in the process of committing a robbery, he wouldn’t have placed himself in a position to be killed. The Bible says, “If you live by the sword (or gun), you die by the sword (or gun)”.

When a robber walks into a store with a gun with the intent to rob it, and potentially harm those inside, he is taking his own life into his own hands. He doesn’t know if the clerk (or one of the customers) has a weapon, and he doesn’t know if he will walk back out or be shot. All robbers are aware of the danger. The clerk and the customers are under a threat of violence by the presence of a weapon. They have a right to defend themselves, with deadly force, if necessary.

The guy robbed the store before. Just because no one was hurt that time doesn’t mean someone wouldn’t be hurt the next time. In fact, the odds are greater that someone would be hurt. I’m not rejoicing because this young man was killed, but his own actions are what caused his death.

• May says:

So U R saying if I worked in a store and a robber came in with a gun, I should leave him/her shoot first and them if Im still alive I can shoot back to shoot back? No wonder the south lost the war with thinking like that. The thing about police how many times have they shoot someone with out a gun. Also what about the 14 year old, a week ago, they killed?
    BTW R U a robber?

• Das Weibstück says:

Get a clue. Yes, it is a SAD world we live in BECAUSE of crackheads like this dead robber and sap suckers you.

I hope the DA is viewing this thread and gets my IP, I will be happy to tell him to his face what I think. As for you, LOL you are a complete twit for thinking anyone that agrees with this shooting is liable for it. Funniest thing I read today !

• Guest CommonTater says:

for the laugh!!

• bobh says:

You obviously have never been in a situation where your life was in immediate danger. Only a fool lets an attacker land the first blow or get the first shot.

You must be a defense attorney. Sorry, you lost that monies for defending this cretin.

• Hope101 says:

Commandment: THEY SHALL NOT STEAL

• nchilltopper says:

“Even a police officer yells to put down the gun many times before shooting.”

Are you speaking from experience? Sounds like it!

“I really hope the DA is viewing this thread and asks for IP addresses for you so called anonomously bloggers.”

Anonomously bloggers? Doesn’t this site have spell check?

“The fact that the guy has robbed the store before and didnt hurt anyone should tell you he wasnt a violent robber.”

So I guess it is your opinion that he be allowed to rob any store with a weapon, anywhere, without consequence?

“If I was the family of the murder victim, I would sue WWAY, Bloggers on this board who enticed killing robbers and the people who own the store.”

Yeah, pay the criminals’ family for him committing a potentially violent crime. That sounds like a good idea to me…..NOT! You are a complete idiot!

“All of you guys names have been written in the Book of Judgement.”

I keep a book of judgement and update it frequently with names of criminals that have payed the price for their actions.

• Grand Ole Party says:

This punk thugs blood feels just fine on my hands. I hope all clerks follow this ones lead. Tell that to your DA. Now I know you are 2 ignorant to know the difference between self defense and murder, but that is okay, the rest of us understand. Stupid!!

I stole a holepunch once when I was about 6. My sister saw me playing with it in the back seat and told my mom. My mom took me back to the store and made me tell the clerk that I was a thief and that I stole the holepunch.

So yeah, I stole something once. When I was 6.

As for strongarm robbery, nope, never.

Leftist moralizers are worse than the most hardcore tent revival preacher ever was. Why do you try to push your morals on other people? You have seen the light, glory, glory, hallelujah.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

You are only allowed to use deadly force to prevent death or grievous bodily injury to yourself or an innocent third party.

Aim for a leg or arm and you immediately raise the question of “Just how much were you REALLY in fear of your life?” Shoot to disable only and you may very well get indicted.

Stop standing up for dirtbags. The man was obviously a worthless piece of trash and received what he so richly deserved. Another dead criminal is ALWAYS a good thing.

Oh Mr/Mrs Righteous, so you never stole anything? You are so pure and innocent of all sins? I mean, you cast your justified knowledge on us poor souls EVERY SINGLE DAY on this forum because we don’t know better but yet you do because you have never done ANYTHING immoral in your life, right? Calling someone a dirtbag that is dead that you have NEVER met in your pitiful life is downright ugly. Do you not have feelings? This man had a family. Does it not bother you that they will see your malicious comments? Do you not care that his family will shed tears behind your ignorance? Do you? WWAY, you really need to censor these comments. You people better hope that none of your family members wind up in this guy situation and you then have to bear to read these hateful comments.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

He wrote his life’s script. He wrote the ending. Armed robber = felon = dirtbag. There’s no need to meet him. I can judge him from his actions.

Your problem is that you can’t handle THE TRUTH. You’re on some crying jag because a store owner defended his life. Boo-friggin’-hoo!

BTW, here are my feelings: If one of my family members entered a store armed and intent on robbery and I was there, I’d shoot him or her dead before the store owner had a chance to. Thankfully, my family doesn’t pull that kind of crap. I’m sure you find the concept of a family where no one has been arrested, no one has gone to prison, and no one has been gunned down in a bad drug deal unusual, but trust me – we’re out here.

You can go back to mourning your cuz now…

• Guest 227 says:

THY SHALL NOT KILL

• 28472 says:

If you choose being a criminal as a profession, the benefits aren’t that good. He brought all this on himself. No one else to blame for his short career.

I would have given the robber what he wanted. But then i’m also a democrat and we steal all the time.

• oatka says:

A point not often considered is the future savings made by this man’s shooting. He had already escalated from an unarmed robbery to one with a deadly weapon. Perhaps some future clerk’s life has been saved by this event, or at least quite a few taxpayer bucks that would have been paid for incarcerating this guy. Whether he was “mentally challenged”, i.e. nuts, is immaterial as dead at the hands of another, sane or unbalanced, is immaterial.

it’s a shame that someone was killed,when all he wanted to do was rob,rape or do harm to the store keeper as is his right in this very liberal state.lets blame it on our schools for not teaching him to scope out his targets more carefully.or the judges or police or even the jurys that may have felt sorry for him in the past.its got to be someones fault to be sure.maybe his parents made him cut the grass or do other chores to help out. its GOT TO BE SOMEONE OTHER THAN HIS FAULT to be sure.well now that i have written this it just hIT me.IT IS HIS FAULT AND IF MORE PEOPLE PROTECTED THEIR SELFS THERE WOULD BE LESS CRIME.

• Citizen of the Republic says:

.45

Because shooting twice is silly.

• 4 Common Sense says:

Great post. There are people with common sense out their. Good for you.

Do Not bring the police into this mess. They are out there catching thugs daily, they take them in to booking at the jail, the thugs get in court and some bleeding heart lawyer meets the judge in the back hallway, they decide the case and the thug walks. Or, they let the thug plead to lesser charges and off he goes. That is not the police department’s fault. It’s your court system. GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!!!

• hoever says:

If the would be robber had been earnimg an honest living he would still be alive. You should pay the price for your own consequences.

• RSimmons says:

is to shoot the clerk first and then take the money.
    I’m all for putting these scumbags thieves in the ground, but this is going to go wrong in a hurry.

• Off The Cuff says:

Hope the criminals are listening to the news in all areas in NC. Don’t come to do a crime if you don’t plan to be shot or something else by people who are trying to defend themselves or their homes or loved ones.

Get out and get a real job and you won’t have to steal!!!!

Do the crime….pay the price. Sad but true.

• Riff says:

I think the story is that it didn’t go bad for the clerk, but it damn sure did for the robber.

Crooks are stupid. Maybe this man was “mental” but I’m sure he could read.

There is a GIANT SIGN on the building that reads…

“TEAM GLOCK”. If that doesn’t tell you something, you have a bright but short future being a crook.

The story you were waiting and wanting to hear was “Clerk killed by hammer wielding thief”. Or possibly “one dead in $7.50 robbery gone bad”.

Once again NOT MURDER, justifiable homicide in self defense.

More people are finding out they don’t have to be a victim, and can legally defend themselves.

“An armed society is a polite society”.

• GuestJustice says:

What we know for sure is that a robber came into that store with a sledge hammer, intent on robbing the store (and perhaps its customers) and to do bodily harm. That’s why you take a weapon. No weapon was brought to the previous robbery, so apparently the robber had moved up to the more violent aspect of robbery. If mental issues were involved here, that’s all the more reason for the clerk to defend himself.

If the robber hadn’t chosen to commit the crime, he wouldn’t have subjected himself to the possibility of being killed. He put himself in that spot. He made the decision to break the law and to introduce a violent weapon into the equation. He’s dead because he brought it on himself. If I was the clerk, I would have done the same thing…except I wouldn’t have fired two warning shots. I would have hit him dead center with the very first bullet. If it were up to me, I would give him a medal.

• oatka says:

I will lay money that when his background is investigated:

1) He has a record as long as your arm

2) He was out on parole

3) He was out early because of “good behavior – or “he found Jesus”

4) The crime he was jailed for was plea-bargained down from a more serious charge

5) All of the above

Until the media starts printing the names of these lenient judges and parole board members who routinely recycle these people back into society, the citizens will have to do the Judicial System’s dirty laundry in order to protect themselves. Far too long they have operated in the shadows and are not held responsible for their errors in judgment or the faulty agenda they espouse.

• Mike T says:

out of respect for the robbers family he will wait some time to give out all the information. Names are being with held. The pistol packers out there are quick on the trigger to judge this case and don’t yet have a clue of what exactly happened. All we know today is that the weapon of choice was a hammer, a murder took place and that the previous robbery attempt was not taken very serious as the police were not even called. There is some history here we don’t know about. Maybe mental issues are involved? Previous threats between parties? Once again, I don’t support store clerks with guns and once again I am thankful he was not hurt. But in this case I will not be surprised if this goes bad for the clerk. I hope for his sake that this was a true issue of self defense. It appears there is a story here that we have yet to hear.

• Grand Ole Party says:

The clerk is alive and well Mike, your support is not wanted nor needed. You sound really hopeful that there is some secret story we have yet to hear….Good luck with that. People are tired of being victims.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Being beaten to death by a nutjob with a hammer is no better than being beaten to death by a robber with a hammer.

The law allows the application of deadly force when you are in fear of death or grievous bodily injury FROM ANYONE. You are under no obligation to have a psychological evaluation done on the person who is attacking you. As long as there is a reasonable conclusion that you were at risk, you have the law on your side.

This guy went so far as to fire warning shots, nowhere required by law. The store owner did everything in his power to avoid shooting this guy, but it ended the way it is supposed to – the good guys won.

Why does that constantly trouble you so much?

• John A. Difloure says:

Sorry Mr. Simmons. I won’t stand by and hope some dopehead won’t shoot. I’ll shoot any robber first.

I hope not.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Clerks and store owners are routinely killed because of a small amount of cash, a gang initiation, or for the pure thrill of it.

When the residents of Coffeyville, Kansas stood up to the Dalton Gang, four of them died. They also killed four of the five-member gang, and wounded the fifth who was then imprisoned. On that day in 1892 the Dalton Gang ceased to exist.

Today, Coffeyville not only has a museum dedicated to the four men, but holds an annual celebration and rodeo. The people still value and respect the men who made the greatest sacrifice standing up for what was right.

We either stand up to criminals or live on our knees before them in fear. Your choice.

• erik says:

You are the bleeding heart problem of these times! Live by the sword….

• Grand Ole Party says:

Well guess what buttercup….sometimes they do shoot first. So should all the clerks just sit there and hope for the best?

• brian says:

I disagree. Criminals will think twice when faced with certain death. I’m willing to bet that if they start walking in and shooting first, the community will take care of that nonsense.

• jerrystanley says:

What do you think just give them the money?? That will just cause more and more crooks to start robbing poor people trying to make a living in this hard world. Get real, wake up!
    J Stanley

• Guest USMC says:

I am so afraid that you are correct. Hopefully not, but an unfortunate possibility. But, on the other side of the coin, many clerks are shot even when the comply and hand over the money, so, in the long haul, maybe they (clerks) are better off defending themselves. I firmly believe in the old saying….”when seconds count, the police are only minutes away”.

• Du says:

I don’t think we can give into thugs, out of fear of making them more upset or escalating violence. Unfortunately, all they will understand is a taste of their own medicine.

• mordant says:

Before the days of armed clerks it was not entirely uncommon for nice boys making their first mistake to rob a store and then kill the witnesses.

• nchilltopper says:

I’d gladly live with the fact that I defended myself and my family, even if it meant taking someones life! Say i’m cold-hearted if you wish but that is my legal right as a citizen of North Carolina. The law states that if somone enters your property unlawfully they can be considered a threat, and it is your legal right to handle it as you see fit. Gone are the days of homeowners being charged with murder for killing someone that broke into THEIR home!

• anne says:

Although the young man, whomever he may be, chose to do something wrong is not a reason for people to be so hateful. We should never rejoice when someone dies like that, even if his choice caused it. The ultimate responsibility was his because he chose to enter a place with the intent to rob it and I do not fault the business owner for doing what he had to do. I don’t believe any of us would like to kill someone, but we do want to protect ourselves and our family.

As the man said in the interview, the business owner will have to live with it for the rest of his life. I hope he will be able to come to terms with what he did – that he did it to protect himself, and that he will be able to move on.

For those out there even comtemplating walking into a place of business to take what does not belong to you, I hope this message comes across to you. People are fed up with low lifes trying to take what is not theirs, and they are going to fight back. Beware!!

Guest228 would just bend over and take it. He would rather live his life on his knees hoping the criminal won’t hurt him. He is the type of person that creates problems and then blames the police for not fixing it.

Tell him to his face? um no you wouldn’t, you are right now hoping that I am wrong. This has nothing to do with free speech. You guys enticed a lynch mob of sorts and now you people should answer for it.

• nchilltopper says:

You must be! Sounds like your threatening us all for standing up for our right of freedom and speech. Tell me, what would you do if a crackhead came into your house with a gun and robbed you or raped your wife or daughter? Waiting for your answer! Oh, and btw I would tell my DA to his face exactly how I feel about this whole situation. If he said to me, “What would you do if someone tried to rob you in your place of business or home?”, I’d say I would unload on his arse and defend my property at all cost!

• Das Weibstück says:

I do not have to hope you are wrong deary, I know you are wrong. You are cracking me up. We enticed a lynch mob by supporting a crackhead being shot while committing a crime? Right, ok.

Maybe if your crackhead relative had the brain cells to operate a PC he may have had a clue that shop owners are beginning to fight back.

BTW: You have a very unusual name Guest228, if thats your “real” name…..

• Eam says:

Well honistly the boy was leaving the store and then the man shot him, i dont agree with everyones opinion but i also dont disagree.. I feel bad for the kids perents as well.. I think the man could have givin it a few more secs, and let the kid walk out.. He knew the boy had mental issues and he still shoot him… let his family rest in peace and let God be with him and him family..

• Guest Lee says:

If you’re going to quote John Wayne, you need to put it in quotation marks, or you can be sued for plagiarism (copyright infringement).

it’s even harder when you’re stupid.

• Charles Walters says:

I like the way the article ends saying no charges so far. The law that took effect on December 1, 2011 ties the hands of the DA. This is a good thing, because DA’s have tried to charge people for defending themselves and their families in the past. It is about time a law was written that helps the ordinary person preserve their life and the things they have worked hard to get. To many of these thugs were used to being able to take what they want knowing people were scared of being arrested for defending themselves. Now they are on notice people are going to fight back, and be protected by the law instead of being attacked by it.

• john says:

he was loved by some people and yes he had a mental problem and no a crack head

Great, the don’t put up with criminals message is spreading.

Update! The criminal has died. The clerk saved the taxpayers some money. I wonder how long until the criminal defenders come out crying that he was somebody’s brother, uncle, father, cousin etc and what a good guy he was and that he only made a mistake.

• Abby says:

Another thug off the street and one less mouth to feed in prison! Keep up the good work to all store owners! Protect your self and shoot who ever robs your store!

I have no sympathy for these low life who try and rob stores. If you want money get a job! If your a convicted felon and can’t a job because of that oh well. You caused that issue your self!

Thank you store owner!

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST :)

• Lwanda says:

He was no thug or criminal so get your facts straight and I hope the clerk have plenty of sleepless nights.He didn’t have to shoot him in the head…

• Guestification says:

Here we see the liberal nanny state in action from two of the many angles.

1. We see the criminal who thinks that they are entitled to anything they want and can just take it. We hard working Americans WORK for a living, not steal. We pay for things, we do the right thing.

2. We see the liberal bed wetters crying that there was someone who loved this person, he was someones uncle, brother, dad, son, grandson, nephew twice removed. We get it. Did the criminals family try to do anything to prevent this… NO! Hold them accountable for their family member, if he was SOOOOOO close to them. Apparently, this POS (not point of sale either) tried to rob this place last week. Repetitive actions… what else has this “good, loving, christian” done to assist the deterioration of our society. Someone may shed tears for this person, but it wont be me!

Kill’em all. Criminals who rob, rape, steal, kill… Let it be done.

There is no suprise to me as to why the 2nd amendment is 2nd… Freedom of speech then freedom to protect my self from the liberal nanny state and the liberal bed wetters.

Freedom of Speech!

Mr. District Attorney, please do your job!

“Internet killer is an appellation found in media reports for a person who broadcasts the crime of murder online or who murders a victim met through the Internet.”

Whats that you say? “Kill’em all. Criminals who rob, rape, steal, kill… Let it be done.”

• Wville says:

You hit the ol nail on the head.

• Won't do it again.. says:

I really hate this had to happen to the robber. Anytime someone takes it upon themselves to rob someone, they are playing a dangerous game. We all have the right to protect ourselves and our property. If someone walks in today to rob me, I should not have have to ask them is their gun loaded or say “oh you robbed me before and it was in no way violet, so here you go, take the cash, the guns, the employees, whatever you want, and have a great day. Watch your step on the way out”

When you are looking down the barrel of a weapon, or looking at the metal point of a knife or sword, the first thing you know is that the person holding the other end of it is crazy and means business. The first thing I’m going to do is to go into survival mode. If the person was crazy enough to “bust up into” my store with a weapon then they are crazy enough to use it.

Race, age, gender have no impact on the outcome of a robbery, on either side. A robber has no right to rob a person or business, but a person or business does have the right to defend themselves.

If I were a low-life robber, I would run like crazy after one warning shot and would not stick around to see if the store owner is really serious about protecting himself and his property to fire a second warning shot.

Don’t blame the person who is being robbed if the outcome is different than the robbers intent. Before robbing someone, consider writing a Will and making prearranged funeral arrangement to spare one’s family from grief should the person being robbed consider protecting himself and his property as he has the right to do.

I hate that this happened but the robber knew the danger when he sought to commit the crime.

This is just my opinion, like it or not!

POST YOUR REAL NAME!!..be you and self proclaim to the world that all robbers, theives, and anyone else who made a terrible mistake should be gun down in cold blood and “your name” are proud of it! Yes, shout it from the keyboards of your true identity instead of hiding behind a guest name…. yeah, thats what I thought! I will be sending a letter to the DA as well to the NC General Attorney about the comments posted before and after. I also hope that anyone else who agrees with the malicious content that this internet forum provides should also write in to the DA and NC General Attorney and tell them what kind of people reside in SE NC. I really hope the clerk that shot the guy wasnt a blogger here on WWAY because all you fools will be going down with him! and to think you guys thought the internet was something you could hide behind!

Rules of life…
    Nerver try to rob a store that has abig poster with the word GLOCK on the front window….
    A dead man steals no gold.
    with over 90% of America being armed, and just today another criminal shot to death during a break-in in Chadburn,maybe these criminals will soon figure out that in todays world if you rob someone, DON’T expect to walk away alive.
    Don’t know about the rest of you but I won’t hesitate to unload the second your first breath is in my house if you break in.

You first! Post YOUR real name here first before shuckin’ and jivin’ about others posts. I’ve seen some pretty mean posts coming from your fingers too, so maybe the DA and Attorney General better place you first in line.

This is a public forum, where anyone can post their thoughts and opinions. You may not like them, but we all have freedom of speech. If you don’t like it, just don’t visit here. Quit posting and go somewhere else. Simple solution, isn’t it? If you can’t stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

But…if they shut down this forum, you would have nothing to complain about. That would really rock your world wouldn’t it?

• nchilltopper says:

Really? Please post your real name also! I have NO PROBLEM with saying that I will DEFEND myself and my family if some SCUMBAG tries to rob me. If that means using deadly force then so be it!

Oh, btw, it is NC Attorney General, not General Attorney; his name is Roy Cooper. I’d be more than happy to tell him my position on heinous crimes. Whatever you do don’t send your letter to the DA of Durham, Tracy Cline, as she is incompetent and won’t help your cause….lol. Free speech my brother, free speech!

Are you threatening us? I’d suggest keeping your pointless arguments to yourself and learn a little about Americans’ rights before spewing your disgusting thoughts. Get a clue!

Why do you “really hope the clerk that shot the guy wasnt a blogger here on WWAY because all you fools will be going down with him!”? This comment makes no sense whatsoever. Your intelligence has been put on display, and it isn’t pretty!

I won’t post my real name because I don’t want wacko’s like yourself showing up at my home or work. And the thief wasn’t gunned down in cold blood, the clerk acted in self-defense.
    As we tell the defenders of criminals, armed robbery isn’t a mistake, it is a choice. A choice he made and a choice that cost him his life. But the best part is he won’t ever try to rob anybody ever again.

Make sure before you mail your letters, you post them on here so those of us that are tired of criminals can get yet another laugh at your expense.

Again, we all have the freedom of speech. Just like the garbage you are free to post. And keep it up, your crap is better than any current comedy on TV.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

…you lost another cuz?

Hey I don’t see your real name!!! What’s up with that???

their job! If you ever worked in a convenience store, your first lesson is to cooperate with the robber and give them what they want. No EXCEPTIONS!! You guys aren’t GI Joe or anything near that level. We pay the police to fight crime and thats what they should do. 50 dollars is not worth ANYONE dying over! Convenience stores have insurance, they will get their money back and if these mom and pop stores dont, then boo hoo, pity on them. But NO one should die over a couple of dollars in a register. We dont know that guy was going to kill the clerk. You all assume he had to be high on drugs or whatever. I dont know if you guys ever watch the news instead of blogging on this site around the clock but times are hard. People are stealing for other things besides drugs. There are no jobs for people to earn a living so people resort to doing bad things. Is it right? heck no, but dont condemn a person to death over some bad choices in trying to provide for themselves or their family.

Oh, for God’s sake, stop with the “no wonder the south lost the war” comment. It’s beneath you and shows your lack of maturity.

It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say…and then don’t say it.

• GuestTired says:

Yeah, right. Let the cops handle it.

I had about $3,000 worth of jewelry stolen from my home years ago from a break-in. I worked many hours and it took me a few years to buy that jewelry. Some bozo comes in that doesn’t even have a job and walks away with it free of charge. The cops never found the jewelery or the bozo.

Ditto with a stolen cell phone a few years ago. The thief ran up a bill for $800 on my cell phone. Most of his calls were to a local number, which the cops wouldn’t even investigate because they were “too busy with other major crimes”. Because I didn’t notice it missing right away, the cell phone company expected me to pay the bill. I couldn’t pay it so they reported me to the Credit Bureau and it ruined my credit for seven years.

Another ditto with a stolen gas tank in the back of my boat sitting in my back yard. All they ever do is write up a report, file it away, and you never hear from them again.

The threat is real when an armed robber walks into a store to rob it. If you want to make it home to your family that night, you better be prepared to take the life of someone else. If not, he will be going home to his family, and you may be going to the morgue.

• nchilltopper says:

Your comments DISGUST ME!! I have had to scrub floors, work part-time jobs at all hours, sometimes work three jobs, go hungry, wear the same clothes all week, walk because I couldn’t afford gas, eat bread and noodles, clean toilets, work 18 hrs a day, all to provide for myself and my family. Not once have I ever thought about robbing anyone of anything!!!!!!! I’m more fortunate in life now and have the things that we all strive for because I WORKED FOR IT. Stop with your petty arguments because you are looking more stupid with every post. Actually, it almost sounds as if your a criminal defending the lifestyle.

• Gustafo says:

If this is going on in a “civilized” environment, just imagine what an anarchy state would bring. (it would only take a week of having no food on the grocery store shelves.) These unarmed bed-wetting, limp-wristed sympathizers for that scum bag would be murdered for what they have by these villainous creatures that they vehemently defend. The smart ones will have their lead-slingers locked and loaded and plenty of lead to go along.

I just had an occasion where a suspect entered my place of business and was just about to rob it. I felt the vibe, went to the back and although never producing my smoke-wagon, I made sure he heard the sound of a round being chambered. I later found out he had murdered someone in another county in a robbery and the US Marshals were looking for him. The sound of me racking one in the chamber gave him cold feet and possibly saved my life that day as told to me by a law enforcement officer.

• GuestFreedom says:

It’s his OPINION, this is a public forum, and he has a right to say whatever his opinion is…just like you do. And, yes, it’s called freedom of speech.

If you don’t like what’s being posted, just stay off this forum. Don’t read all the comments that seem to upset you so. Avoid them like the plague…but then what would you complain about?

• nchilltopper says:

So, who broadcast this violent crime (the robbery) on the internet? Please let us know so they can be charged as accessories. Thanks.

• Grand Ole Party says:

You sir are a complete idiot. The DA can’t do a thing. Get real moron. I agree with kill em all!!! Every single last scum bag. I am betting you fall into this catagory, guess that is why you are so upset. To bad. With any luck one of these sorry good for nothing crooks will break into your house and rob you blind, then YOU can just sit there and do nothing, because you are a sheep. A liberal, fearful, little sheep.

• Wade Griffis says:

do not rob anybody else. There are jobs available for anybody willing to work.

• Guestchuck says:

Hooray ! The victim of an apparent robbery attempt shoots the perp
    in the head. Bet he thinks better of trying this again if he survives.
    More people should arm themselves if they are in a position that
    frequently gets robbed

He was a thug and a criminal and good for the clerk shooting him in the head. He won’t try to rob anybody else ever again.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Nice aim. Well done. Ain’t life rough sometimes?

I am all for vigilante justice and getting more and more in favor of it everyday. The judicial system is a joke. Handle your own problem your way and be done with it. I don’t want to hear any bleeding hearts supporting a criminal like the courts do. I’m fed up with it and evidently others are, too.

• nchilltopper says:

If the judicial system can’t get it right, the clerks will. It is refreshing to see more of the clerks put a bullet in these worthless scumbags.

• Way2Go says:

Present and future robbers take note. Is it worth it?