FIRST ON 3 UPDATE: Leland Police Chief Tim Jayne fired

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Thu, 02/02/2012 - 4:54am
Updated: Thu, 02/02/2012 - 2:05pm

LELAND, NC (WWAY) — Nearly five months after WWAY first broke the story of Leland Police officer Sherry Lewis being shot in the crotch during a training exercise, the man at the top is out. Town Manager David Hollis says he fired Police Chief Tim Jayne first thing this morning.

“I think it’s time to move in a new direction,” Hollis said. “I want to bring in a police chief that can provide a high level of professionalism and help move us forward.”

Hollis says he e-mailed Jayne Tuesday night to meet him in his office Wednesday at 9 a.m. to tell him the news. The firing comes just weeks after Hollis asked the town council to release the fact that Jayne had been on probation since September.

“I believe it’s the right decision to make,” Hollis said. “It’s not a decision that has come easily or lightly. I’ve thought about it a lot, and I just believe it’s the right decision to make as a town and move forward at this point.”

Hollis claims the ongoing SBI investigation into the department has nothing to do with his decision, and he has not spoken to anyone from the SBI recently.

We stopped by Jayne’s house this afternoon to get his side of the story, but no one answered the door.

Hollis says firing Jayne is just one of many reorganizational changes. Three administrative positions and one job in the Building Inspections Department were also eliminated. Hollis says the decision was not based on low performance, but strictly on the reorganization.

“I take no pride in doing this,” he said. “It’s not a glorious day by any means. It’s something I take seriously, and I’m affecting people’s lives by making these decisions, and I don’t take that lightly.”

He believes these changes will improve Leland in the long run.

“I’m hoping that we can move forward and provide better customer service, that we can instill some confidence back in the town and the town government,” Hollis said.

Deputy Chief Karl Smith will serve as the interim Police Chief.

By the way we also called Mayor Brenda Bozeman to get her take on Jayne’s termination. As usual, she refused to talk with us.

I am so happy for the citizens of Leland. Hopefully this is just the beginning and the town will get rid of all of the bad apples so that Leland can move forward in peace.

• Guesttoo says:

This is really creative for a 10 year old…

Coming from an adult, it’s actually quite sad. Unless the adult has the mind of a 10 year old (apologies to any pre-teens that I may have offended).

• fellowcop says:

I hope Mr. Jayne was wise enough to know that his days were numbered and did not have all of his eggs in one basket. Anyone who is rational knows the town had no choice but to let him go. In fact this should have been done sooner. In my opinion, he forfeited his ability to lead in the way he handled thes distractions. And like many, I wholeheartedly disagree with the “dipity” chief being the interim. Hopefully, the town will conduct a thourough but quick search to get a fresh new professional face at the helm ASAP. Where and how do I apply?

• Jeffery R Mercer says:

Oh the sacrificial lambs! Leland is continuing to play their games and you all don’t see it. This was not Hollis’s decision. He has filled the role of the puppet manager. He listens to and answers to guess who? In Farris’s case it was Walter Futch. In Hollis’s case, he is indebted to Bozeman and Battleman. After all, they made sure his application was pushed through and he was hired even over the objections of other council members. They didn’t get rid of the chief because they finally realized he needed to go and they didn’t get rid of the others for organizational changes. It is code for we want to get by on the cheap. We are over paying an engineer to be a town manager and he is only going to stay until the economy turns around and then he is out the door. We will bring in another chief who isn’t qualified and pay him under what Jayne was making. We will take the difference of his salary and the difference from the salaries of the others we just dumped and to bring in and overpay a Human Resource Director to save face for what we should have had all along. With the way the town operates they will not get a Human Resource Director with any sense to come there or it’s going to cost them a pretty penny. And then, guess what, once they open their eyes to just how dysfunctional the entire operation is and once they realize how many more law suites are to follow they will leave too and go laughing all the way to the bank along with Hollis. The real problem there is that they are still trying to operate on a dysfunctional foundation that can’t stand. Until someone goes in and wipes out the root of the dysfunction Leland can not and will not prosper. And Bozeman, you know who they are-they are the ones you trust-the ones who lie to you every day-the ones who draw salaries they aren’t educated or skilled to have but once again you remain loyal to them and once again you will eventually get bitten again.

• Brian says:

He’s from New York. Maybe he’ll be heading back now.

• credit is worthless says:

Who are you trying to kid? Leadership-he knew before he ever stepped foot in the place. What do you think the behind the door meetings were about before they announced that he was town manager. He is the temporary man. It is not about leadership, it is about keeping a paycheck for him. He is and will always be part of the “old Leland” establishment.

Why now- because Bozeman and Battleman are once again saving face to the illegal practices they authored and they are scared. They decided to throw Jayne and the others to the wolves and Hollis complied.
    Do you not know that Hollis will be the scapegoat, just like Farris was? Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying that Jayne did not need to go but please call this for what it is. Another political ploy. And if there is to be a fast pace over the next 5 days don’t you think Battleman and Bozeman will play dumb, even though it is well known that they were well aware of what was going on and help plan it all.

PS he ain’t a county manager-he holds the title of Town Manger/Puppet/scapegoat/I will do what I have to do

• Curious George says:

I think the public needs to know why that officer was really relieved of duty back in October if it was not from the order of Training and Standards. Now that Jayne is gone do you think we can get an answer on that Scott?

Fire Blasingame??? How could they? He’s probably the next Chief!

Don’t feel to bad,y’all do have the “FIRST ON 3 UPDATE”.

• Gustafo says:

I’ll second that motion. Maybe he can take Brian Berger with him.

• Wilmington217 says:

I know David and nothing about this was easy for him. He is a very dedicated person with high morals and this is, without doubt, weighting heavily on him. Leland is luck to have him. God Bless David.

• Capt.David Baxley Jr. says:

It’s about time that something was done!Maybe someone should look into other small local police departments.When the police chief and the town manager is the same person and cronism runs a town its only a matter of time before something comes out.Holly ridge is one such town!

• GuestMannie says:

“Good things come to those who wait” and “What comes around goes around” I have heard all my life.You just have to believe! His dismissal should have been a long time ago. He has absolutely ruin a many officers lives,some have lost homes,some have lost their entire families,some have been on unemployed for a long time,can’t find work especially the work they love and that is law enforcement. IN law enforcement if you are ever ball balled by a dept then,not always,but most of the time other dept follows suit and will not hire.And then there are those still on the payroll,who should not be there,those that are dishonest,unprofessional and back stabbing to a degree of ruining a fellow ofcrs reputation,and then claiming self innocence. It would be a miracle but to those officers who have been wronged,like Sherry,Kevin,John and all the others since Jayne’s arrival in our town,could at least get a chance to come back, now that would be a show of redemption for the town. Did MIchael Landon not violate Sherry’s civil rights with all that torture of being shot in that so called “training classs”?And Dellipia?Why hasnt something been done to him?But, then again, maybe he is about to get his!!!

• Robert Green says:

Maybe the chronically unemployed Brian Berger and Tim Jayne can car pool together while attending job fairs.The so-called conservative(Berger) can take Jayne under his wing and show him how the welfare system works.Jayne can counsel Berger on how to navigate the criminal justice system.I see a mutual friendship being established.

• Robert Green says:

You need to call the felonious ex-sheriff Ron Hewett and maybe he can get you on at Jones Ford in Shallotte.He was even salesman of the month one time, so keep your head up kid!If that is not to your desire,call the Godfather,R.C Soles.His clout in Columbus County should enable you to find a law enforcement occupation that requires low ethical standards and professionalism.

• kblue2221984 says:

A job well done, I hate to say “I told you so”…….. WAIT!!! No I don’t!!! I LOVE to say it! I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!! I feel a rhyme comin on!!!!
    Mr. Balboa was fired today
    a job well done is what I say

Long over due the decision seems fit
    A Leader he’s not, more like a twit!

I tried to tell you the things that I saw
    By making it funny and making it raw

4 more to go then you will soon see
    An outstanding town made better by me

Glad to see one problem has passed
    Now all you haters can kiss Kblue’s A55!!!!! Say’s who? Say’s Leland’s own Kblue!

• Peyton Garrett says:

Very good Kblue. Sometime, see if you can come up with a Bergerism for your fans on the other side of the river.

• GuestLeland Gal says:

Who else got fired today?

Oh, sweet Jesus…please don’t encourage him. We’re sick to death of him as it is! Kblue is as useless as rubber lips on a woodpecker.

This is a step in the right direction but some of these guys need to be arrested. Blasingame for one. Fire, arrest, disband.

• Winnabow_Guy says:

‘The information came in a news release sent by the town today to area media, but which excluded WWAY.’

I would suggest the above statement may be inaccuate; according to the news release sent out by the Town of Leland, one of the email addresses is newsroom@sea-comm.com. Isn’t WWAY part of Sea-Comm?

• Scott Pickey says:

No, Winnabow, we’re Morris Network Inc. It’s listed at the bottom of this site.

Sea-Comm is The Big Talker FM, The Bone, The Penguin and Bach Radio.

sp

Scott Pickey
    WWAY News Director

• Getsome says:

Hollis deserves some credit here, he walked into a mess, probably has been sitting there just absorbing the overal mess. Finally with recent events has enough evidence of such wrong doing he could cut the head off rather than figure out why the last manager did nothing, the last board did nothing and the senior law office of the county did nothing (DA David) in investigating the issues of leadership in this department. You cut off the head then disect the rest, I think he may not be done. The names of the others might be next. The overall abuse is not just in the PD, but could be all connected. I think we may be stunned when the SBI and FBI release their findings or pefrom arrest warrants. I think this story will have some fast pace over the next 5 to 10 days. For me I give some credti were credit is due. This is a tough position for county managers who live at the will of each elected board. Thanks for stepping up an leading.

• Hammer Time says:

What? Are you kidding me? His buddy Jon David will probably give him a job as a gun toting, serving judges with papers, messing up investigations that causes serious feloni cases to get dismissed investigator in his office! After all, Ain’t that what neighburs are fer?

• PublicAvenger says:

I hope they will strongly consider asking back Foss, Lewis, and Bost, who were mistreated, along with anyone else, who was bullied out.

Though its time to bury the hatchet, maybe one or two of Jayne’s brown-nosers need to be strongly looked at, otherwise; we could be back in this same mess again, in a year from now.

• PublicAvenger says:

• PublicAvenger says:

KBLUE
    I understand several of Jayne’s click, brown-nosers, from less then 48 hours ago, are now saying they never liked him, and were like you, all along.

The DA is one who files charges against someone for the state. If the chief hasn’t done anything of a felony nature it’s not the DA’s place to remove him. The city hired him. If his conduct is so outlandish then they are the ones who should fire him, and they did.

• guest111 says:

ABSOLUTELY!!!

• Jean Benton Sidbury says:

WELL, PRAISE THE LORD! Now give Sherry Lewis her job back….

Ding, dong, the witch is dead – but we still have to deal with all the flying monkeys still in Leland. Reading through the “HR Speak” in the press release, this was a way of getting rid of Jayne without admitting any problems in the organization. And placing Karl Smith, one of his boot-lickers, as the Interim Chief does nothing more then extend the problem. Real institutional change would require the removal of all the people in charge and officers who were complicit with this mess that Jayne created and that benefited from his “leadership” – from Smith, to Dellapia, Kozak, Landen, Blasingame and several other sergeants and officers who have been allowed to do unethical and criminal activity only to be covered up by the town and police department. And, of course, officers who were victims of his purge, using a “lack of buy in to community policing” which was only a smoke screen to get rid of people they didn’t like or who would not sell their souls to the corruption and incompetence that was created by Jayne. True “organizational restructuring” would require cleaning from top to bottom, maybe even starting all over again to ensure the house that Jayne built doesn’t collapse and bring the whole town down!!

Don’t let that door hit you on the butt on your way out.

He shouldve been gone months ago. He was clearly in violation of his “probation” with the town. He was nothing but a boil on the town’s posterior. Now if they can clean house getting rid of Blasingame and a couple others maybe just maybe LPD can regain some credibility.

• Guest 1968 says:

Maybe he will land on his feet and get a job as a mall rent-a-cop.

• Guest 28451 says:

I can FIRMLY state that Tim Jayne (no need to call him “Chief” anymore) wouldn’t of been included in the reorganization it wasn’t for WWAY reporting the news. The citizens of Leland should actually be thanking this news station for doing a service. Good journalism was reported and the results are in the citizens favor. For those that criticize this station should think again. Regardless of how it’s reported, the bottom line is it was all true.

I don’t even know if the SBI concluded their investigation, but nevertheless, better late than never. Thank you WWAY for uncovering the crap in Leland PD. The extensive coverage has indeed made a difference.

• enoughalready20 says:

ARE YOU SERIOUS??????????????????????????????????????

• enoughalready20 says:

AND YOU MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!

• Guest 28451 says:

One more thing:

I just wanted to give the ex-chief this link to the Employment Security Commission of NC’s website. I’m sure he’ll need it:

As he walks over to Jon David’s house tonight crying on his shoulder because he doesn’t have a job, he needs to remember how slick he thought he was and what’s done in the dark always comes to light.

Tomorrow when he wakes up, he’ll have nowhere to go, nothing to do. I’m glad someone finally got it right over there in Leland.

Next lets focus on those David brothers!

I certainly hope there is an investigation as to why the district attorney let this slide even when people had been complaining directly to him. I thought this proven crime fighter fought all crime, not just people who weren’t his friends. The DA should resign instead of subjecting Brunswick County to an investigation.

• guest111 says:

No let’s focus on Judge Jolly. One by one they are going to be eliminated.

• Old Guy says:

Karl Smith is just as bad as Jain. Now they have to clean house of the other dirty rats such as Kozak, Dellapia, Blasingame, O’Connor, Pierce(dishonest), Irvin, Spence, Keel and last but not least Sergeant (Crybaby) Landen. I agree with Fix Leland Police there is no need for celebration at this point until all are gone you all still have the same problems. You just lopped off the head of the snake. The town council next including Ms. Bozeman who knew everything about all of the incidents all along! Hey guys what happened to the guy you all hired here about a month ago from Oak Island? Didn’t he have the smarts to tell you guys to kiss off? (Smart guy!!!!) There are lesser of evils but all of these will make a good start!
    Told you so Jain! You thought this was all going to blow over. I guess it blew over you huh?